New Rumor
Author Thread
Knixkik
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #11
USA
12/19/2001  9:50 PM
From BskBALL.com

12/19- ARE THE HEAT FINISHED? - Pat Riley continues to remind media that he is not going anywhere, that despite mounting losses, he is becoming more and more determined to turn things around. Claiming that he has never connected with this group of players, and with several of the "bloated" talking lack of leadership, the Heat have opened talks with more than half the league and the other half is expected to be contacted before the new year. Rumor has it, almost any two players from the Heat roster are for sale, and the Heat are not going to be overly picky about who they take back... some ideas floated have the Heat talking with Knicks about sending Brian Grant and Anthony Carter to New York for a Kurt Thomas and Charlie Ward package, while the Bulls are rumored to have held discussions regarding grumpy Charles Oakley, in a Brian Grant swap as well. The most coveted piece of "real estate" the Heat hold does not appear to be their $3.3 million trade exception, but rather the 1st round draft pick they hold this year, NBA rules prohibits the Heat from trading it, but that's not to say the Heat couldn't draft a favorable player for "a future consideration" deal or swapping picks on draft day. The Heat have joined the Raef LaFrentz hunt, but its unclear what they could really offer the Nuggets that would tempt them to move him, especially as late breaking news links the Magic to Denver and offering "several" first rounders for Raef and a possible front court player like Andrew DeClercq, although the still hold enough of a trade exception where they could take LaFrentz off Denver's hands for very little in return, something Denver seems totally opposed to. Sources close to the Nuggets say they are not shopping Raef, but several teams say they have had discussions about Raef. It seems Kiki Vandeweghe's phone is ringing, and he's answering it, whether he deals depends on what's said on the other end. Its fairly clear Riley is shopping the market, but with more and more teams opening the phone lines, trade talk is "heat"ing up, and Pat Riley looks ready to deal, and with comments about "eroding" skills. It seems like everyone in Miami is available for the right price.

Grant would be a good pickup for us and an improvement over Thomas even though he's struggling. I'd do it. Thoughts?

AUTOADVERT
VG
Member: #68
Australia
12/20/2001  1:59 AM
Posted by Knixkik:

From BskBALL.com

12/19- ARE THE HEAT FINISHED? - Pat Riley continues to remind media that he is not going anywhere, that despite mounting losses, he is becoming more and more determined to turn things around. Claiming that he has never connected with this group of players, and with several of the "bloated" talking lack of leadership, the Heat have opened talks with more than half the league and the other half is expected to be contacted before the new year. Rumor has it, almost any two players from the Heat roster are for sale, and the Heat are not going to be overly picky about who they take back... some ideas floated have the Heat talking with Knicks about sending Brian Grant and Anthony Carter to New York for a Kurt Thomas and Charlie Ward package, while the Bulls are rumored to have held discussions regarding grumpy Charles Oakley, in a Brian Grant swap as well. The most coveted piece of "real estate" the Heat hold does not appear to be their $3.3 million trade exception, but rather the 1st round draft pick they hold this year, NBA rules prohibits the Heat from trading it, but that's not to say the Heat couldn't draft a favorable player for "a future consideration" deal or swapping picks on draft day. The Heat have joined the Raef LaFrentz hunt, but its unclear what they could really offer the Nuggets that would tempt them to move him, especially as late breaking news links the Magic to Denver and offering "several" first rounders for Raef and a possible front court player like Andrew DeClercq, although the still hold enough of a trade exception where they could take LaFrentz off Denver's hands for very little in return, something Denver seems totally opposed to. Sources close to the Nuggets say they are not shopping Raef, but several teams say they have had discussions about Raef. It seems Kiki Vandeweghe's phone is ringing, and he's answering it, whether he deals depends on what's said on the other end. Its fairly clear Riley is shopping the market, but with more and more teams opening the phone lines, trade talk is "heat"ing up, and Pat Riley looks ready to deal, and with comments about "eroding" skills. It seems like everyone in Miami is available for the right price.

Grant would be a good pickup for us and an improvement over Thomas even though he's struggling. I'd do it. Thoughts?

I'm not sure if I'd do it. The guy was gonna sign with us a few years ago but went to Miami instead. TRAITOR!!!!!
prowler
Member: #135
USA
12/20/2001  10:49 AM
Eventhough i still have a bad taste in my mouth about how the spinelss Heat stole Brian Grant from under our nose there is nothing i would like to do more that to contribute to their eventuall demise. I think that the fact that he went to the Heat over us had more to do with "Slick Talkin" Pat Riley more than anything else. Personally i think he like the rest of the Heat palyers are burnt out under Riley's system. I personally like his game because he is a bonafied starting Pf and Kurt Thomas will never be. If u think about it if we swallow our pride and focus on the matter at hand which is to return this team to the elite status that we are accustomed to then this would definitely be a good trade for us. Our frontcourt with this move could be down right special. Camby, Harrington, Spoon, Grant, and Jackson. With a big man rotation like that we could keep a combo of fresh legs on the floor at all times which would work out to our advantage on defense and offence. It would also help in the preservation of guys like Camby who is injury prone.

knicker for life
GucciKnick8
Member: #17
USA
12/20/2001  12:07 PM
Prowler, I agree with you. Grant also played center last year and did quite well. I really like the guys hustle and play. Pull the trigger!
"You never know here in New York, stuff can happen on any given day," - - -Marcus Camby23
MCfan23
Member: #114
USA
12/20/2001  3:10 PM
Definitely. He is a big upgrade on Thomas.
We suck.
Knixkik
USA
12/20/2001  6:36 PM
Posted by MCfan23:

Definitely. He is a big upgrade on Thomas.
I agree and he's also around the same age and a lot more talented. I remember watching the first game he played in Miami, still trying to recover from missing out on him, and i watched him put on a clinic scoring 29 points. I think under our system he can work well because he is a good shooter and Camby generally works under the basket. They could work well with each other and adding Sprewell, Houston, and Jackson to the mix, we wouldn't be half bad.
Knixkik
USA
12/22/2001  2:09 PM
Surprisingly, just as BskBALL.com predicted, Brian Grant is on the block. I think we could do Thomas, Ward, and Knight for Grant and Carter or just Thomas and Ward for Grant. Both would help us a lot. Thoughts?

http://www.miami.com/herald/content/sports/basketball/heat/digdocs/003467.htm
vinzie27
Member: #129
12/28/2001  5:18 PM
grant isnt a traitor.. he wanted to come to NY but at the end he was forced to go to maimi. Id would love to get Grant.
Knixkik
USA
12/28/2001  8:55 PM
Posted by vinzie27:

grant isnt a traitor.. he wanted to come to NY but at the end he was forced to go to maimi. Id would love to get Grant.
He could have come to new york or miami for the mid-level exception, but the thing is, signing with miami allowed him to get more money the following year, which did happen. He is making over 10 million now compared to the 4 or 5 million he would be making in new york. I'm not blaming him because i would have done the same thing. Fortunately, the Heat's lack of success should have Grant looking in another direction, hopefully one that points to new york.
Knixkik
USA
12/30/2001  1:21 PM
Speaking of rumors, did anyone else hear something about Peter Vecey reporting a Shawn Bradley for Kurt Thomas deal? I know he said something about it at halftime of a game, but i can't say i've heard anything else. I would consider doing it at this point because Harrington may be better then Thomas and we also having Weatherspoon getting ready to return with any luck. Thoughts?
knicksbabyyeah
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #100
Netherlands
12/30/2001  1:48 PM
Shawn Bradley is a complete bust, I'd rather do nothing than get him. Dallas thought he'd be very useful with the rule changes but the guy just isn't in complete control of his own body. He's too tall for his own good so he usually makes a "dumb" foul just because he isn't in position on time. I honesty think even Ostertag is better and I really don't want him but just for comparison's sake.

I hope we can get a deal done for Raef, if not for Marc or even Ike Austin.

Currently I'm hoping we trade eithe Eisley or Ward and sign Omar Cook. KT should be on his way out as well but we're a little bit late for trading him I think. He was more valuable after his performance during the playoffs but he's been in such a slump lately who would we get in return?

Oh, and we might want to consider getting Stromile Swift, how though is the trick question.
Knixkik
USA
12/30/2001  2:45 PM
Posted by knicksbabyyeah:

Shawn Bradley is a complete bust, I'd rather do nothing than get him. Dallas thought he'd be very useful with the rule changes but the guy just isn't in complete control of his own body. He's too tall for his own good so he usually makes a "dumb" foul just because he isn't in position on time. I honesty think even Ostertag is better and I really don't want him but just for comparison's sake.

I hope we can get a deal done for Raef, if not for Marc or even Ike Austin.

Currently I'm hoping we trade eithe Eisley or Ward and sign Omar Cook. KT should be on his way out as well but we're a little bit late for trading him I think. He was more valuable after his performance during the playoffs but he's been in such a slump lately who would we get in return?

Oh, and we might want to consider getting Stromile Swift, how though is the trick question.
The rumor from BskBALL.com was Memphis would trade Swift for the right veteran. I'm not sure what they think of Thomas, but he would give them a nice veteran role player to add to their youth. I also wouldn't mind including LaVor Postell and draft picks for the next 10 years if we could pick up Stro. He would work well with the run and gun style Houston, Sprewell, Camby, and Jackson should be playing. With Swift, we would have a nice mix of youth, veterans, and talent at different areas.
knicksbabyyeah
Netherlands
12/30/2001  3:59 PM
it's a done deal percentage = 0% but nonetheless I'd be one happy puppy if this trade would happen. Especially since it's Isaac his last year and we would probably not resign him. We can't trade Postell at this time, something to do with bird rights I think.

Memphis trades: Isaac Austin ,Brevin Knight ,Stromile Swift TOTAL: $13,597,355

New York trades: Howard Eisley ,Travis Knight ,Kurt Thomas TOTAL: $12,794,625

TRADE ACCEPTED

Due to Memphis and New York being over the cap, the 15% trade rule is invoked. Memphis and New York had to be no more than 115% plus $100,000 of the salary given out for the trade to be accepted, which did happen here. This trade satisfies the provisions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement.

Memphis would also receive a trade exception of $802,730 with this trade. This would have to be used within one calendar year from the date of this trade.

Trade ID number 442927

[Edited by - knicksbabyyeah on 12/30/2001 16:00:27]
Knixkik
USA
12/30/2001  4:07 PM

it's a done deal percentage = 0% but nonetheless I'd be one happy puppy if this trade would happen. Especially since it's Isaac his last year and we would probably not resign him. We can't trade Postell at this time, something to do with bird rights I think.

Memphis trades: Isaac Austin ,Brevin Knight ,Stromile Swift TOTAL: $13,597,355

New York trades: Howard Eisley ,Travis Knight ,Kurt Thomas TOTAL: $12,794,625

TRADE ACCEPTED

Due to Memphis and New York being over the cap, the 15% trade rule is invoked. Memphis and New York had to be no more than 115% plus $100,000 of the salary given out for the trade to be accepted, which did happen here. This trade satisfies the provisions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement.

Memphis would also receive a trade exception of $802,730 with this trade. This would have to be used within one calendar year from the date of this trade.

Trade ID number 442927

[Edited by - knicksbabyyeah on 12/30/2001 16:00:27]
Thats a tough deal to do because Memphis isn't really improving in any specific area. I would love to just send Thomas and picks for get Swift, but thats another hard one to do. We could still send Thomas to Memphis, but i think we would need to include a third team in order to get Memphis a little more in the deal.
knicksbabyyeah
Netherlands
12/30/2001  5:47 PM
Yeah I agree, it's tough to get a deal done with Memphis and them liking the deal. Another problem is that they have an injury exception for Big Country so they might not even want to trade anyone at all.

Still, it seems they can't afford the big bucks for Swift and they want something in return. I wouldn't mind giving a lottery protected pick from 2004 or beyond.
Knixkik
USA
1/1/2002  3:51 PM

Yeah I agree, it's tough to get a deal done with Memphis and them liking the deal. Another problem is that they have an injury exception for Big Country so they might not even want to trade anyone at all.

Still, it seems they can't afford the big bucks for Swift and they want something in return. I wouldn't mind giving a lottery protected pick from 2004 or beyond.
They will probably try to include the medical exception in a deal, and in the case, we could dump more salary on them, but that probably wouldn't happen. At this point i think we need to still push for Brain Grant and make a run for Marc Jackson because it seems like new york would be amongst his top choices.
knicksbabyyeah
Netherlands
1/1/2002  5:49 PM
True, read it in the nypost awhile back that he would have excepted the 4.5 from NYK and that he would love to be a knick.

Still, he wants to get out of GS so bad he might accept any deal at this time and moment. That's the thing right? GS has to approve the deal and for it too be accepted Marc has to give his blessing as well. GS might play some hardball again, who knows?
Knixkik
USA
1/2/2002  9:27 PM

True, read it in the nypost awhile back that he would have excepted the 4.5 from NYK and that he would love to be a knick.

Still, he wants to get out of GS so bad he might accept any deal at this time and moment. That's the thing right? GS has to approve the deal and for it too be accepted Marc has to give his blessing as well. GS might play some hardball again, who knows?
I think the Knicks and Pacers have the best chance at him and i personally think Brian Grant and Marc Jackson will both end up in one of these places by the deadline. I would prefer Jackson because he would allow Camby to move to the power forward, but i'm not sure if moving him to that position would make him or the team more effective. I hope it would, but thats something the Knicks will just have to toy with if they are put into that position will both Camby and Jackson on the squad.
New Rumor

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy