[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Jamal and Damp update NY POST
Author Thread
crzymdups
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #671
USA
8/4/2004  12:16 AM
Yeah, this is a link to a San Francisco paper. Nice job realgm, keeping it mad real. Stupid website. Here's the real article. It appears Jamal is letting Aaron Goodwin try to get him the most money possible. God, this whole thing really just needs to end...

Bulls-Knicks deal close

BY K.C. JOHNSON
Chicago Tribune

CHICAGO - (KRT) - General managers Isiah Thomas and John Paxson have agreed in principle to a six-player trade that would send Bulls Jamal Crawford and Jerome Williams to the Knicks for Dikembe Mutombo, Othella Harrington, Frank Williams and Cezary Trybanski, league sources said.

There's one small problem: Crawford's camp has rejected the trade - for now.

The streamlined version of the trade talks, which have lasted for five weeks and featured countless combinations, calls for Crawford to sign a seven-year, $55 million deal.

In previously discussed scenarios, Crawford stood to make that amount in six years and possibly $70 million in seven years. The new figures have given Crawford's camp pause, sources said.

Since Crawford is a restricted free agent and the Bulls own his rights, Paxson has never budged from his stance that major financial relief was the only path to a deal.

That Thomas has agreed in principle to send four expiring contacts to the Bulls is consistent with Paxson's philosophy. It also will save the Bulls $15 million in cash and $18 million in salary-cap space over the next four seasons.

Crawford would be a base-year compensation player under the structure of the proposed deal, which is complicating matters. A league source said Thomas rejected a proposal to sign an unwanted free agent and include him in the deal as salary-cap ballast so that Crawford's salary could go higher.

There is still guarded optimism on all sides that a deal will get done. The only concern is that Thomas will be put off by Crawford's camp rejecting a nearly done deal.

If the trade collapses, it's almost certain Crawford will play next season for the Bulls at a qualifying offer of $3.5 million and then become an unrestricted free agent.

The Bulls' pitch to re-sign Crawford for six years at $39 million is no longer an option.

¿ △ ?
AUTOADVERT
codeunknown
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #704
Posted by Bonn1997:

Denver still has a lot of cap room according to hoopshype. If they want to, they can just offer Jamal a bigger contact.

You're right on that one but the contract would be only minutely larger - a deal starting at 8 mil instead of 7.2 mil, with similar increases. Its annoying but true - Crawford could accept the larger offer.
Sh-t in the popcorn to go with sh-t on the court. Its a theme show like Medieval times.
Rich
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #511
USA
Let's be honest, Isaiah is caving, and Crawford is showing character flaws.
daddynel
Alba Posts: 12
Member: #505
8/4/2004  12:17 AM
soory BONN, i'm getting the same problem. i guess you gotta go to realgm.
PhilinLA
Member: #696
8/4/2004  12:19 AM
Rich, I don't think Zeke is caving. I think he has ideas for his remaining chips, but needs to get this one done before he can work out the other two or three.
http://amonthhoffundays.blogspot.com/ We got a ringer.
Rich
USA
8/4/2004  12:20 AM
Posted by PhilinLA:

Rich, I don't think Zeke is caving. I think he has ideas for his remaining chips, but needs to get this one done before he can work out the other two or three.

If the Mercury News is right that he is giving up four expiring contracts instead of the the two that were reported on NBA-TV, that would appear to be a cave, and he is running out of chips.
Kwazimodal
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #728
8/4/2004  12:21 AM
Knicks in Agreement to Acquire Bulls' Crawford
By THE NEW YORK TIMES

Published: August 4, 2004

fter weeks of negotiating, the Knicks have agreed on a deal to acquire guard Jamal Crawford from the Chicago Bulls, his agent said last night.

"They've come to an agreement as far as players," Crawford's agent, Aaron Goodwin, said. "We're trying to work out details that work out for Jamal. I'm confident we'll have something by tomorrow."

The Knicks would receive Crawford and Jerome Williams for Dikembe Mutombo, Othella Harrington, Frank Williams and Cezary Trybanski.

Although the Knicks would be getting the best player in the deal, they are surrendering four expiring contracts, the chips that they had hoped to use in other deals. Crawford, a restricted free agent, must agree to a seven-year, $55 million deal to make the numbers work.

"I'm very optimistic it's done," Goodwin said. "Unless for some reason New York changes their mind, I think Chicago is on board.''

Rich
USA
8/4/2004  12:22 AM
Posted by daddynel:

soory BONN, i'm getting the same problem. i guess you gotta go to realgm.

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/sports/9312536.htm
PhilinLA
8/4/2004  12:22 AM
Rich, didn't feel the same way about Sheff last November?
crzymdups
USA
8/4/2004  12:24 AM
Wow, interesting. I think the NYTIMES qualifies as a real source. Goodwin is basically trying to extort another $14 million for Jamal. He's the new David Falk. I don't if Isiah will play ball on this one.

Also interesting, Othella is included so we can kiss the possibility of trading for Damps goodbye.
¿ △ ?
PhilinLA
8/4/2004  12:25 AM
Posted by Kwazimodal:

Knicks in Agreement to Acquire Bulls' Crawford
By THE NEW YORK TIMES

Published: August 4, 2004

fter weeks of negotiating, the Knicks have agreed on a deal to acquire guard Jamal Crawford from the Chicago Bulls, his agent said last night.

"They've come to an agreement as far as players," Crawford's agent, Aaron Goodwin, said. "We're trying to work out details that work out for Jamal. I'm confident we'll have something by tomorrow."

The Knicks would receive Crawford and Jerome Williams for Dikembe Mutombo, Othella Harrington, Frank Williams and Cezary Trybanski.

Although the Knicks would be getting the best player in the deal, they are surrendering four expiring contracts, the chips that they had hoped to use in other deals. Crawford, a restricted free agent, must agree to a seven-year, $55 million deal to make the numbers work.

"I'm very optimistic it's done," Goodwin said. "Unless for some reason New York changes their mind, I think Chicago is on board.''

I don't think all those players are involved.
Rich
USA
8/4/2004  12:25 AM
Posted by PhilinLA:

Yes, but there are two differences: 1) Sheff's body of work dwarfs Crawford's; and 2) Much more importantly, the four expiring contracts just about removes Isiah's chips.

I can live with the charcter issue, but Isiah appears to be giving Paxson everything he wanted: no Moochie, no Shandon. That's messed up.
crzymdups
USA
8/4/2004  12:27 AM
Posted by Rich:
Posted by PhilinLA:

If the Mercury News is right that he is giving up four expiring contracts instead of the the two that were reported on NBA-TV, that would appear to be a cave, and he is running out of chips.

Yes, it's a cave, and it means that Mullin has refused to play with the Knicks on a Dampier trade. Unless NBATV is right and all these papers are wrong. We shall see by the end of the week at worst. I think Damps and Jamal will be signed by the end of this week.

¿ △ ?
PhilinLA
8/4/2004  12:30 AM
Posted by Rich:
Posted by PhilinLA:

Yes, but there are two differences: 1) Sheff's body of work dwarfs Crawford's; and 2) Much more importantly, the four expiring contracts just about removes Isiah's chips.

I can live with the charcter issue, but Isiah appears to be giving Paxson everything he wanted: no Moochie, no Shandon. That's messed up.
I really don't believe they are getting the 4 expiring contracts. I think the player list is from an early report of the deal. Dampier is showing up tomorrow, and unless Mullin wants a Thomas and Nazr I don't see why he would be if Othella's in this deal.
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
If it's a cave when you give up tiny expiring contracts and get the best guard and best forward involved in the deal, then I hope Isiah "caves" very often
Rich
USA
Posted by crzymdups:
Posted by Rich:
Posted by PhilinLA:

Yes, it's a cave, and it means that Mullin has refused to play with the Knicks on a Dampier trade. Unless NBATV is right and all these papers are wrong. We shall see by the end of the week at worst. I think Damps and Jamal will be signed by the end of this week.

Dampier for Thomas? If Isiah gives Dampier a six year contract, the Knicks will never get under the cap when Houston's contract expires.

I would not do the Crawford deal if neither Moochie nor Shandon are included.
crzymdups
USA
8/4/2004  12:31 AM
Posted by Rich:
Posted by PhilinLA:

But really, we had no leverage. It had to come to this eventually.

If they throw Shandon and Eddie back in the deal, can Jamal get his precious 6 yr 55 milly?

I wonder if Damps will come here to take the MLE to be the lowest paid player on the team...i'm guessing no.

¿ △ ?
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
8/4/2004  12:32 AM
Dampier for Thomas? If Isiah gives Dampier a six year contract, the Knicks will never get under the cap when Houston's contract expires.
You're a Knick fan and you care about the cap? I haven't heard something so funny in a long time
Rich
USA
8/4/2004  12:32 AM
Posted by Bonn1997:

If it's a cave when you give up tiny expiring contracts and get the best guard and best forward involved in the deal, then I hope Isiah "caves" very often

It's a cave when the Knicks were looking to dump bad contracts of their own in every other reported proposal.

Are the Knicks going to win a championship with Crawford and Dampier? No.
Rich
USA
8/4/2004  12:33 AM
Posted by Bonn1997:
You're a Knick fan and you care about the cap? I haven't heard something so funny in a long time

What's funnier is fans that don't realize that getting under the cap is the way to build a championship team, rather than a pretender.
Jamal and Damp update NY POST

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy