Alba Posts: 0
Member: #671
USA
8/3/2004  12:59 AM

CRAWFORD KNICK DEAL IS AT HAND

By PETER VECSEY and MARC BERMAN
------------------------------------------------------------------------
ON THE MOVE:
Thanks to Bulls' latest counter-offer, Jamal Crawford is expected to become a Knick as soon as today.
Getty Images
 Email  Archives
 Print  ReprintAugust 3, 2004 -- Bull combo guard Jamal Crawford could become a Knick as soon as today, as Chicago GM John Paxson has made a counter-offer that Knick president Isiah Thomas is expected to accept, according to sources.

Paxson has removed two overpaid swingmen — the Knicks' Shandon Anderson and the Bulls' Eddie Robinson — from the deal, allowing the Bulls to save an additional $10 million in future payroll.

Though Thomas wanted to move Anderson, it appears Paxson is willing to accept Moochie Norris in a compromise the Knick president couldn't refuse.

Meanwhile, The Post has also learned Golden State center Erick Dampier will visit the Knicks in New York this week, an indication the Knicks are still very much in the hunt.

If the Crawford deal goes through as expected, the Knicks still have the pawns to trade for Dampier or at least be in position to award him the mid-level exception. Nazr Mohammed, Kurt Thomas and Othella Harrington are all available in a Dampier package.

In a related story, the Hawks are now talking to Dallas about Antoine Walker.

Meanwhile, the pared-down Crawford package would likely include Dikembe Mutombo, Norris and $3 million moving to the Bulls for Jerome Williams and Crawford, at the very least. It's unclear if the newest offer attempted to bring back Frank Williams in the package. Crawford would sign a six-year, $55 million contract.

Paxson had expressed his desire to jettison both Williams and Robinson in this trade. Although Paxson thought Anderson could be a good defensive role player, his contract that has three years and $23.7 million left on it is one of the NBA's worst, more severe than Robinson's (2 years, $14M). Isiah had hoped to rid himself of Anderson, whose offensive performance in the playoffs was pitiful.

The sign-and-trade talks for the Bulls combo guard has been interminable, lasting all of July and hitting another roadblock a week ago when the two sides met face-to-face in the Windy City Summit at O'Hare Airport with Isiah trying to convince the Bulls Norris' pact is not insufferable because the last year is not guaranteed.

On Saturday, agent Aaron Goodwin said progress was made since the summit and a source indicated the sides had moved on past the Moochie issue. "I'm a little frustrated, but it will get better," Goodwin told The Post Saturday. "Chicago wants the perfect deal. We're trying to get them to accept a very good one."

Goodwin declined comment last night.

-------

Is it wrong to be giddy here?

Deke, Moochie and possibly Frank for Jamal and Jerome? Damps to visit New York?

¿ △ ?
AUTOADVERT
tkf
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #87
8/3/2004  1:12 AM
hahaha, now is a good time to be giddy, I can live with this deal, since it does leave us with an expiring deal in othella to play with. shandon can rot at the end of the bench for all I care...
Anyone who sits around and waits for the lottery to better themselves, either in real life or in sports, Is a Loser............... TKF
MaTT4281
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #538
USA
8/3/2004  1:26 AM
I'm just praying that Ariza get atleast as many minutes and Shandon.
Allanfan20
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #542
USA
8/3/2004  1:36 AM
Wow, Ren and Stimpy are working on the duets now. How come there wasn't even one source, quoted. In fact, they didn't even say "Our sources say....". God, I hate the post.
“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
8/3/2004  1:42 AM
This deal includes Norris. It would be better than the other one posted, although I'd do either
Rich
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #511
USA
8/3/2004  1:52 AM
It sounds like a true compromise. Now if Isiah can only find a way to to get Eddie Curry.
Knicksfan
Alba Posts: 27
Member: #691
USA
8/3/2004  2:00 AM
Posted by Allanfan20:

Wow, Ren and Stimpy are working on the duets now. How come there wasn't even one source, quoted. In fact, they didn't even say "Our sources say....". God, I hate the post.

LOL!!!

[Edited by - KnicksFan on 08/03/2004 02:01:09]
Knicks_Fan
Knicksfan
USA
8/3/2004  2:06 AM
Posted by tkf:

hahaha, now is a good time to be giddy, I can live with this deal, since it does leave us with an expiring deal in othella to play with. shandon can rot at the end of the bench for all I care...

Yep. This is a god deal for both teams. If it can be completed without FWill then its even better from our part. But again, this comes from the Post, and how many times have they, along with other newspapers, said that the weal will get done in some days? How many times have they said that the deal is about to get done. I won't believe until I see it, because we have seen so many things like this that it isn't even funny.
Knicks_Fan
Knicksfan
USA
8/3/2004  2:11 AM
But imagining for one second that this could be true, then we get Crawford, keep an expiring contract in Othella (boy will he love to come back to NY! ) in case something happens, either Dampier or someone else. Now Dampier could still be considering NY and if nothing can happen with the Hawks, getting him with the MLE would be great. If it is through a sign n trade then Isiah better give him a decent deal, not a big one. At least if the report is right, and thats a BIG IF, Crawford would be getting a decent deal; no overpaying.

Again, we'll see what happens...
Knicks_Fan
Bonn1997
USA
8/3/2004  2:31 AM
If we can get Crawford without having to do Goodwin a favor by signing Baker, it would be better. Or ideally, Baker would sign for the LLE
jaydh
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #96
8/3/2004  2:53 AM
no fwill in this deal???? accept! accept!
raven
Member: #316
Canada
8/3/2004  3:06 AM
Hope this deal will go down WITHOUT Frank.
Bonn1997
USA
8/3/2004  5:05 AM
It would be better if the deal went down without Frank so that he could be used in another deal (or be the backup backup PG), but that wouldn't be the deal breaker for me
raven
Member: #316
Canada
8/3/2004  5:36 AM
For me neither, but we need to keep the most possible assets.

IMO, mutmbo + norris + cash for Jerome williams (who we can certainly use) and JC is a very very good deal for us.

We could certainly use Frank in other trade or keep him if Houston doesn't recover. Fact is, Frank may be what we would have the closest to a pure PG as carw and marb really are score first PG.

Also I liked Frank's attitude during the playoffs. What we need is toughness and he certainly can bring some.
crzymdups
Member: #671
USA
8/3/2004  8:13 AM
Well, again, I get burned for even bothering to read the Post. Four different papers this morning had four different combinations of the trade listed, only the Post mentioned Norris and the deal being at all close.

The good news is that several places reported that Damps is actually visiting this week.

It seems like Zeke is holding back Othella until the Damps thing is worked out. If Damps goes somewhere else, I would imagine that the Jamal trade would happen later that day.
¿ △ ?
GoNyGoNyGo
Member: #411
USA
8/3/2004  8:43 AM
Great deal for NY. I hope it goes through. We have been down this road before!

Also, I love the way Isiah bagged Crawford first leaving himself the pieces to get Dampier too. I mentioned this in another thread last week. He will get Dampier for KT and Othella and that will leave NAZR around as a backup C, which is nice too!

As for Antoine, I dont think that is a great loss. He is a nice player with a real nice contract but let TT and Sweets play the 3/4.

With these Deals:

Marbury Crawford Houston Fwill?
Anderson Hardaway Ariza TT
Baker Dampier Mohammed Sweetney JWill

Marbury
Crawford
TT
Sweetney
Dampier

Nice 30 and under starting 5!
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
8/3/2004  9:11 AM
the pared-down Crawford package would likely include Dikembe Mutombo, Norris and $3 million moving to the Bulls for Jerome Williams and Crawford

that doesn't match up dollar wise if JC is going to sign a 5 yr/$55 million dollar deal...you'd have to also include both Frank & Trybanski to make the dollars match, or Othella.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
Andrew
Member: #1
USA
8/3/2004  9:40 AM
Yeah....TMS you are correct. About 3M in salary needs to be included by the Knicks to have Crawford's salary start in the 5-6M range. Othella fits perfectly.
PURE KNICKS LOVE
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
8/3/2004  9:45 AM

I would like to see Frank and Craw on the floor together at least once. IMagine, two guards on the floor at the same time that are both under the age of 25! Was it Michel Ray Richardson and Ray williams the last time that happened?

TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
8/3/2004  9:50 AM
Posted by Andrew:

Yeah....TMS you are correct. About 3M in salary needs to be included by the Knicks to have Crawford's salary start in the 5-6M range. Othella fits perfectly.

i'd rather give up Othella than Frank & Cezary...if the deal is for Deke, Moochie, Othella & $3 million for JC & JYD, then i'd be ecstatic...but somehow, i get the feeling the real deal the Bulls are demanding is Deke, Othella, Frank, Cezary & $3 million for JC & JYD...Paxson really has onions, let me tell you.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
Jamal and Damp update NY POST

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy