[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Jc deal still on? Shandon staying
Author Thread
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
8/3/2004  9:22 AM
remember, using expiring contracts is all about improving your team. I think our biggest need is up front, but we dont have any athleticism in the backcourt. Marbury is a beast but he's not a run and jump athlete (like he was). His game is more refined now. Also (especially in the East) 3 guard line ups and small squads are common. Craw is a young dynamic player thats highly skilled. I would be nice to get a guy on the upside of his career for once. Best of all your trading guys you have no use for for players that will help you win games and be a part of your future.

Thats the hardest point for me to argue.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
AUTOADVERT
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
8/3/2004  9:31 AM
crawford is the exact type of player this team should've been going after since 2000. and he's definitely on the upside of his career. heck, his career hasn't even really started and the possibility of playing marbury and crawford in the same backcourt would be pretty damn fun to watch. it also gives us the option of playing houston 20-25 mins/night (which is what he should be doing).

this deal still leaves us some chips to try and pry dampier away or convince him to come for the MLE. i'm not sure where his head's at though. he opted out to make more money but now it looks like he'll have to sign the MLE. who knows where he'll end up but i love the fact that jerry west doesn't look the guru of gm's since his MLE was given to cardinal.

but back to crawford...it's been beaten to death. let's see if a deal is made.
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
8/3/2004  9:34 AM
ive never been against any crawford trade. i said quite bluntly that i didnt think it would happen with what we were proposing --actually i didnt think chicago was willing to give him up because they are small at 2G and it appears as if im wrong. but i was never against crawford coming here antoine walker now that is who i dont want:>)
RIP Crushalot😞
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
8/3/2004  9:48 AM
Posted by fishmike:

remember, using expiring contracts is all about improving your team. I think our biggest need is up front, but we dont have any athleticism in the backcourt. Marbury is a beast but he's not a run and jump athlete (like he was). His game is more refined now. Also (especially in the East) 3 guard line ups and small squads are common. Craw is a young dynamic player thats highly skilled. I would be nice to get a guy on the upside of his career for once. Best of all your trading guys you have no use for for players that will help you win games and be a part of your future.

Thats the hardest point for me to argue.

i realize you use your expiring contracts to improve your team...i have no problem if Isiah can still manage to get Dampier w/his remaining trade chips...but doesn't this all seem like a scene out of the car dealership from Hell??

Isiah: "hey, that's a nice car...what are you looking to get for it?"

Salesguy from Hell: "oh that's 1 of our most popular models, but i tell you what...i'll give it to you for $25K & we'll throw in a free oil change every 3000 miles for the lifetime of your car"

Isiah: "hmm...$25K is just a little steep for my budget...how about $22K & you can keep your lifetime oil changes?"

Salesguy from Hell: "tell you what...i'll let it go for $35K & we'll charge you double for oil changes for the lifetime of your car"

Isiah: "hmm...can i mull that over & get back to you?"
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
firefly
Alba Posts: 17
Member: #721
United Kingdom
8/3/2004  10:05 AM
Salesguy from Hell: "oh that's 1 of our most popular models, but i tell you what...i'll give it to you for $25K & we'll throw in a free oil change every 3000 miles for the lifetime of your car"

Isiah: "hmm...$25K is just a little steep for my budget...how about $22K & you can keep your lifetime oil changes?"

Salesguy from Hell: "tell you what...i'll let it go for $35K & we'll charge you double for oil changes for the lifetime of your car"

LOL. LOL. LOL!! Love it!! Thats EXACTLY whats going on here. Tempting us in with a fair deal, then moving the goalposts (or rim if you prefer).

Grreat post

[Edited by - firefly on 08/03/2004 10:07:37]
Some men see things as they are and ask why. I dream things that never were and ask why not?
codeunknown
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #704
8/3/2004  11:01 AM
Posted by Bonn1997:

Sure, when they're 3 medium sized expiring contracts averaging about $6 mil each (rather than 4 tiny ones like the Knicks averaging $2.5 mil each). That's apples and oranges

No, its 2 apples of different sizes. Bonn, I think your'e missing the point. 10 mil in expiring contracts will be enough to get a good player, you don't necessarily need 17 mil. You said 1 expiring deal was better than 4, I showed why it is certainly not. That was the point.

To others that want to do Paxson's wild version of the trade, all Im saying is Chicago has ample motivation to make this deal - they can pull off some dazzling **** at the deadline with 4 expiring deals plus their pieces right now. Does Crawford make our team that much better? Yes, I think so. But, we shouldn't have to give up 4 deals with major value and still take back a bad contract while paying Crawford a boatload of money that he hasn't earned yet.

Sh-t in the popcorn to go with sh-t on the court. Its a theme show like Medieval times.
raven
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #316
Canada
8/3/2004  11:11 AM
Posted by TMS:

i realize you use your expiring contracts to improve your team...i have no problem if Isiah can still manage to get Dampier w/his remaining trade chips...but doesn't this all seem like a scene out of the car dealership from Hell??

Hilarious.
PhilinLA
Member: #696
8/3/2004  12:24 PM
Isiah can prove his greatness by moving SA elsewhere.
http://amonthhoffundays.blogspot.com/ We got a ringer.
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
8/3/2004  12:43 PM
Originally posted by TMS:

If you replace "Isiah" with "Paxson" and the "car salesman" with "Isiah," I'd agree with everything you said
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
8/3/2004  1:02 PM
Are we really to pay Craw 55mil over 6 years? Over 9 mil a year for him?

INflation is a bitch!
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
8/3/2004  1:28 PM
Posted by Nalod:

Are we really to pay Craw 55mil over 6 years? Over 9 mil a year for him?

INflation is a bitch!
For this summer, that's not a bad deal. That's about what Q-Rich got and is a much better deal than Foyle, Derek Fish, Brian Cardinal, and most free agents.
islesfan
Alba Posts: 37
Member: #712
8/3/2004  2:26 PM
Crawford isn't much better, if at all, than Frank Williams so why are we looking to trade chips that we could use to get much needed front court help in Dampier and willing to pay him $10 million a year for 6 years? FW is a better pure PG, plays better defense and doesn't need to shoot 20 times a game to make an impact on a game. Don't we have enough guys who need the ball on offense (i.e. Marbury, Houston and TT)?
If it didn’t work in Phoenix with Nash and Stoutamire... it’s just not a winning formula. It’s an entertaining formula, but not a winning one. - Derek Harper talking about D'Antoni's System
metra
Member: #473
8/3/2004  2:31 PM
Too bad FW's career high is 18pts while JC averaged that. Plus, JC, the chucker, has a better FG% than FW.

Its true! FW is better!

islesfan
Alba Posts: 37
Member: #712
8/3/2004  2:38 PM
Posted by metra:

Too bad FW's career high is 18pts while JC averaged that. Plus, JC, the chucker, has a better FG% than FW.

Its true! FW is better!

Last year FW's FG% was 39%. Crawford's FG% was 39%.
If it didn’t work in Phoenix with Nash and Stoutamire... it’s just not a winning formula. It’s an entertaining formula, but not a winning one. - Derek Harper talking about D'Antoni's System
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
8/3/2004  2:39 PM
Posted by islesfan:

Crawford isn't much better, if at all, than Frank Williams so why are we looking to trade chips that we could use to get much needed front court help in Dampier and willing to pay him $10 million a year for 6 years? FW is a better pure PG, plays better defense and doesn't need to shoot 20 times a game to make an impact on a game. Don't we have enough guys who need the ball on offense (i.e. Marbury, Houston and TT)?

i disagree. crawford is better than frank. secondly, crawford was asked to do different things for the bulls than be a pure pg. he was their primary perimeter scorer. in fact, he usurped jay williams as the starting pg. he was asked to score as well. now frank is very good and is a good defender but in terms of potential, crawford is the better individual talent and i think a backcourt of him and marbury is better than him and frank. frank also can never really be a pure pg on this team b/c of marbury. secondly, h20's time needs to be limited and we really don't know what's going on with him. maybe isiah wants crawford as insurance. thirdly, crawford is still young and has many years to get better (which i think he will). i understand your gripe on giving up chips in this deal b/c our team need is frontcourt help but getting a SG is also right up there if you think about it. fourthly, we also get jyd who's energy and hustle has sorely been lacking on this team since oakley.

the other option is to stand pat and save the chips till the allstar break but is it worth it to pass up a player like this b/c these are the type of guys you get before they become major stars and crawford has the potential to be that. i have no problems making this deal nor do i have any problems not making this deal.
jaydh
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #96
8/3/2004  2:45 PM
Posted by islesfan:

first off, no way is fwill better, nor does he have the playing time that JC does. also, imagine houston goes down again with knee problems.
would you rather start penny or shandon? or would you like to have a young athletic JC would is capable of putting up the same #s as houston?
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
8/3/2004  2:47 PM
man, I love Frank's toughness. I love that he beat out Ward and Eisley, I love that he shoved Kidd then played him like a hawk on D. I dont want to lose him, but saying Crawford isnt much better is assanine. The #s for Crawford's contract are slightly below what Gilbert Arenas got (and he's overpaid). Thats where that # is coming from.

Frank's upside is a solid NBA point guard. I dont think he will ever be as good as Porter or Harper, but a poor mans version maybe.

Crawford's upside somewhere totally different. He's got physical skills Frank can only dream about. At times he's unguardable. He can soar for dunks and pass the ball on a string. He can also jack 3's with 20 seconds left on the shot clock when his team has a lead.

The thing that bugs me is Frank is a throw in. He only makes about 800k so his money doesnt impact the deal. We will see what the actual deal really is but in terms of talent the upgrade isnt negotiable. Craw can play at a hig level in the NBA, and has some sick skills plain and simple.

Nothings happened yet so we will see in a day or so.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
8/3/2004  2:58 PM
Posted by VDesai:

It's still a pretty good deal. Its just not as big a slam dunk as it used to be. Getting rid of Shandon was huge. Taking on ERobb is no big deal. I thought Paxson was definitely willing to take Shandon, Deke, Harrington, williams, Tryb for Erobb, JYD, Craw and possibly Jeffries. Him changing his mind now is quite annoying. He's stuck...perhaps we should just walk away and let him coming running back....or maybe Craw's agent will start getting de[erate.

If we're they are not gonna take Shandond AND take all of our expiring deals, they should at least take Moochie.

i think me & you share the exact same opinion on this pretty much...

personally, i like JYD better than Othella...both are good role players, but JYD offers more athleticism & fits what our team needs a bit better than Othella does...but he's still not anything more than a $3.5 million dollar player to me...that's why i hate taking on his contract w/o giving 1 up ourselves...at the very LEAST, the Bulls should be taking back Moochie Norris...to give up all our expiring deals & pay Jamal that contract while still taking on JYD's overpaid deal just rubs me the wrong way

Deke, Moochie, Othella, Frank & cash for JC & JYD is the most i would give up, & if Paxson demands Moochie to be replaced by Trybanski in the deal, i tell him to give us back a 2nd round pick at the very least.

C - Nazr / Baker
PF - KT / Sweetney / JYD
SF - TT / Shandon / DerMarr or Ariza
SG - Houston / Penny
PG - Marbury / Crawford
IR - Ariza or DerMarr / Trybanski or Moochie / Barrett

i can live w/that roster...if Isiah lucks out & can still get Dampier in a trade using KT & Nazr as bait, then all the better:

C - Dampier / Baker
PF - Sweetney / JYD / Eschmeyer
SF - TT / Shandon / DerMarr or Ariza
SG - Houston / Penny
PG - Marbury / Crawford
IR - Ariza or DerMarr / Trybanski or Moochie / Barrett

that would be my ideal.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
Jc deal still on? Shandon staying

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy