[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Jc deal still on? Shandon staying
Author Thread
WOODMANnYk
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #529
USA
8/2/2004  11:17 PM
I dont see how Frank W., Mutombo, Tryanski and Harrington equals Crawford and Jerome W in a trade..

Jerome Williams can't be included in the deal cause the Knicks are looking to pay Crawford somewhere around the 8.5mm to 9.5 mill for 6 yrs . If thats the case, then the trade wouldn't be able to go through capwise.

As for Mutombo, he most likely to be included in the deal cause the Knicks already looking to sign Vin Baker, another tall frontcourt player...
The Future. GO KNICKS!
AUTOADVERT
crzymdups
Member: #671
USA
8/2/2004  11:18 PM
I looked at the espn team page for the Bucks and it says he has no salary protection if waived by August 1. I think he's under contract to the Bucks next year.

That leaves Keon Clark and Chris Mihm...good lord. This is why I say you have to see what happens with Damps before doing anything else. He'd look mighty nice in an NYK uniform next year.
¿ △ ?
crzymdups
USA
8/2/2004  11:21 PM
Posted by WOODMANnYk:

I dont see how Frank W., Mutombo, Tryanski and Harrington equals Crawford and Jerome W in a trade..

Jerome Williams can't be included in the deal cause the Knicks are looking to pay Crawford somewhere around the 8.5mm to 9.5 mill for 6 yrs . If thats the case, then the trade wouldn't be able to go through capwise.

As for Mutombo, he most likely to be included in the deal cause the Knicks already looking to sign Vin Baker, another tall frontcourt player...

Sigh. Jamal Crawford, if re-signed, would be a BASE YEAR player. Meaning the Bulls could only get half his starting salary in a trade. The Knicks would pay him $7 million, meaning his trade 'value' would be $3.5 million. Jerome makes $7 million meaning the Bulls would be trading us $10.5 million in salary while taking back Deke (4.5), Othella (3), Cindy (1.7) and Frank (.9). It's within the 15% range.
¿ △ ?
Knicksfan
Alba Posts: 27
Member: #691
USA
8/2/2004  11:23 PM
Posted by BRIGGS:

no, i think this is a good trade for the knicks. [if this really is true] the bottom line is the knicks want to win NOW--there is a real possibility that Allan may never be the same player and if anything happens where he cant play, having jamal is a high quality replacement. he's rangy,athletic and has tremendous talent + will take pressure off Marbury bringing the ball up. is there downsides with jamal--obviously no one wanted him that bad--even his own team--really his value is as a PG but i think if you have two guys who can play kind of a combo role that can work. it also makes a small team smaller yet makes us more athletic and sure beats watching andersen.

what you are saying is you think we can be patient and find a better deal at the deadline---i doubt it --why? we have no draft picks to trade until 2010 and there are plenty of teams with ending contracts. on top of that we would have jamal from the start of the season

if you look at the first 8 games, i mean we need to haev a full boat right from the start or we will be back treading water out of the gate again. it will be very difficult with jamal AND houston --- if we had neither we could be staring at 0-8

if we can stem the tide from the start it will give the team a lot of momentum so the beginning of this season IMHO is key.

i think getting Jamal is a positive as long as his salary is REASONABLE in line with what ginobli richardson etc.. the only thing that would bother me is giving up some kind of unprotected pick even if its 6 yeasr from now or paying jamal way over his amrket value--other than that im happy to trade what is proposed for jamal. you are not going to do much better.

Im surprised that you, who has been against the Crawford trade before, who doesn't like to get bad contracts and who likes to have flexibility to make deals for young players to help us, is in favor of this trade. What was about the Shandon deal that made you dislike it? It may have looked impossible to you, but the fact is that it was the most even deal proposed for both teams. They get Shandon? We have to tahe both bad contracts who make a bigger number. We get the best player in Craw? They get big money savings in the lots of contracts we give them, and who knows if they can transform that into a better player. The problem was that Isiah wanted to get Moochie in the deal, something that did make sense because of his final deal not being guaranteed. If you put Deke in his place you have that even trade. That would be at least a good one.

This one leaves us with practically the same team for like 2 or 3 more seasons, and thats not good for a team that, as you said in another post, is still a small one. We want to win now, thats true. But if you watch Isiah's trades carefully you will see that he is trying to do it with young vets, which tells you that he wants to win now but also knows that he needs to keep improving the team to make them contenders. One thing is to win now, we can do that as currently constructed and healthy, and another is being contenders, and for that we need a more complete team and size. By making that Crawford trade you get better now but you stay the same for a long time. By having some expiring contracts you get yourself a chance to improve the team during the year. I think its tough for our team, in the cap crisis we are, to lose all its assets and in top of that get another long bad contract is not the right step. Im not exactly thinking about deadline trades, although they are a possibility, Im thinking just about overall flexibility.

Losing all your exp. conts. is tough, but losing them without being able to at least throw in one of your bad conts. is worse. I at least liked the Shandon deal. But this one isn't good for us, and Paxson is acting like we were desperate to get him. Need a SG? Then sign White for part of the MLE and if Houston isn't there then try to survive with Penny, White and Shandon. White can score but doesn't play much defense. Houston didn't play a lot of that anyway.
Knicks_Fan
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
8/2/2004  11:26 PM
Posted by crzymdups:

I looked at the espn team page for the Bucks and it says he has no salary protection if waived by August 1. I think he's under contract to the Bucks next year.

That leaves Keon Clark and Chris Mihm...good lord. This is why I say you have to see what happens with Damps before doing anything else. He'd look mighty nice in an NYK uniform next year.

On hoopshype, it says Gadzuric is not signed with the Bucks for next year.

Regarding Dampier, I wouldn't miss out on Crawford just too wait on Damps. I think we have no players that GS would want (other than Marbury and Sweetney) and I can't see Damps signing with us for the MLE when Atlanta offered him a 4 yr $40 mil contract (reportedly). Do you really think there's more than a 5% chance we could get Dampier? If not, then why wait for him while we miss out on all other available players?
crzymdups
USA
8/2/2004  11:32 PM
if anyone else were chasing Crawford, I'd agree. But no one wants him...actually, come to think of it, that makes him the perfect Knick!...

But really, I'd say their chances at Dampier are about 1 in 4. Not great, but still a decent shot. If Atlanta's money was all it took, why hasn't he signed yet?
¿ △ ?
tkf
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #87
8/2/2004  11:35 PM
Posted by BRIGGS:

--why? we have no draft picks to trade until 2010 and there are plenty of teams with ending contracts. on top of that we would have jamal from the start of the season

now explain how is that Briggs? Tell me that you misunderstood the trade because we owe the suns one pick, which we control until the year 2010...Are you telling me you belive we can't trade any picks until year 2010? But I know you are just twisting this to make the knicks situation look worse, you have no integrity when it comes to posting, really it boils down to you being a got damn liar to try to prove a point... That is pitiful...
Anyone who sits around and waits for the lottery to better themselves, either in real life or in sports, Is a Loser............... TKF
codeunknown
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #704
8/3/2004  1:05 AM
There have been some nice arguments put back and forth. One that I liked from Briggs, despite it being contrary to my argument, was that many teams will have expiring contracts at the deadline and that by virtue of scarcity economics, that doesn't guarantee anything for us. I would counter by saying there are many targets -including Marion, Kidd, Vince, Ilgauskas, a number of Mavericks players, the list goes on... I highly doubt the market for expiring deals will be saturated. Additionally, we own 10 mil in expiring deals.

Bonn put forth the idea that several petite expiring deals are worth less than 1 huge expiring deal at the trade deadline. I disagree with that on every premise. Firstly, teams that are likely to trade a proven commodity for expiring deals are not looking for short term extra roster space to bolster a playoff roster etc. Moreover, those roster spots clear in a matter of months when they expire. Even more importantly, have several expiring deals gives felxibility in terms of multi-team trades - in other words, since there are more contracts there are more trade scenarios and options for the Knicks to orchestrate a deal.

Still, the bottom line for me is what are the respective motivations to make this trade for the Knicks and the Bulls? Knicks want talent in Crawford without completely collapsing our financial situation - essentially hog-tying and stuffing Isiah for atleast a short while.
Most importantly, to me, the Bulls want expiring deals for a future trade - if they wanted to save money, Crawford would be leaving next year, not now. If they want a chance at Kidd etc., they better be reasonable at the poker table.
Sh-t in the popcorn to go with sh-t on the court. Its a theme show like Medieval times.
Bonn1997
USA
8/3/2004  1:36 AM
Posted by codeunknown:

There have been some nice arguments put back and forth. One that I liked from Briggs, despite it being contrary to my argument, was that many teams will have expiring contracts at the deadline and that by virtue of scarcity economics, that doesn't guarantee anything for us. I would counter by saying there are many targets -including Marion, Kidd, Vince, Ilgauskas, a number of Mavericks players, the list goes on... I highly doubt the market for expiring deals will be saturated. Additionally, we own 10 mil in expiring deals.

Bonn put forth the idea that several petite expiring deals are worth less than 1 huge expiring deal at the trade deadline. I disagree with that on every premise. Firstly, teams that are likely to trade a proven commodity for expiring deals are not looking for short term extra roster space to bolster a playoff roster etc. Moreover, those roster spots clear in a matter of months when they expire. Even more importantly, have several expiring deals gives felxibility in terms of multi-team trades - in other words, since there are more contracts there are more trade scenarios and options for the Knicks to orchestrate a deal.

Still, the bottom line for me is what are the respective motivations to make this trade for the Knicks and the Bulls? Knicks want talent in Crawford without completely collapsing our financial situation - essentially hog-tying and stuffing Isiah for atleast a short while.
Most importantly, to me, the Bulls want expiring deals for a future trade - if they wanted to save money, Crawford would be leaving next year, not now. If they want a chance at Kidd etc., they better be reasonable at the poker table.
No, the problem is that you have to have free roster spots to do a trade taking back four contracts. Having one expiring contract worth $10 mil is better because it takes up three less spots and not many teams do have three free roster spots. It's NOT a huge difference, but one expiring contract worth $10 mil IS better than four small ones.
codeunknown
8/3/2004  1:48 AM
Posted by Bonn1997:

No, the problem is that you have to have free roster spots to do a trade taking back four contracts. Having one expiring contract worth $10 mil is better because it takes up three less spots and not many teams do have three free roster spots.

Sorry, 4 expiring deals are better than 1. You don't need 3 free roster spots in a 4 for 3 or 4 for 2 deal. A 4 for 1 deal is highly unlikely in any situation. Thus, only 1 or 2 spots will suffice. Teams that are rebuilding will generally have those spots. You can also target players with different price tags with 4 separate expiring deals. You can also involve third teams more adequately - who said you have to give all 4 players to 1 team? The key is flexibility in the type of deal you can make.
Sh-t in the popcorn to go with sh-t on the court. Its a theme show like Medieval times.
Bonn1997
USA
8/3/2004  1:55 AM
Sorry, 4 expiring deals are better than 1

okay; apology accepted this time

If you can give examples of where several tiny expiring contracts yielded a player better than Crawford, it would help support your claim. (There are obviously many examples supporting the other side of the argument where one 10 + mil expiring contract yielded a good player)
codeunknown
8/3/2004  2:00 AM
Posted by Bonn1997:

Hehe, anything to make you feel better Bonn.

Back to basketball, you want an example ... How about the Rasheed Wallace deal - Rebraca, Mills and Sura net the Pistons Rasheed.

[Edited by - codeunknown on 08/03/2004 02:24:51]
Bonn1997
USA
8/3/2004  2:07 AM
Posted by codeunknown:
Posted by Bonn1997:

Hehe, anything to make you feel better Bonn.

Back to basketball, you want an example ... How about the Rasheed Wallace deal - Rebraca and Sura net the Pistons Rasheed.
That was a much more complicated deal than you're presenting and if I'm not mistaken, the Pistons didn't give up Sura and Rebraca to get Rasheed. (Those two players weren't even on the Pistons.)
codeunknown
8/3/2004  2:09 AM
Hey, Bonn, the point was that 3 expiring players were taken back for Rasheed. Who cares how complicated it was? We don't need a third team, we have 4 expiring deals ourselves.
Bonn1997
USA
8/3/2004  2:28 AM
Posted by codeunknown:

Hey, Bonn, the point was that 3 expiring players were taken back for Rasheed. Who cares how complicated it was? We don't need a third team, we have 4 expiring deals ourselves.
I don't remember the exact deal but I thought more than 3 tiny expiring deals were given up for Rasheed. Rasheed was making $17 mil so the 3 expiring contracts probably were much bigger than the Knicks 4 (just so that the salaries would match). But it is a decent example that you came up with. (I think; I don't remember all players involved off the top of my head.)
codeunknown
8/3/2004  2:35 AM
The comparison was between 4 deals and 1 large equivalent one. The example I gave you perfectly demonstrates that multiple expiring players can be taken back for a proven commodity. No one is debating that 4 large expiring deals are not better than 4 smaller ones. The argument is that roster spots will likely not be a major obstacle.
rain
Member: #353
USA
8/3/2004  3:47 AM
Crawford has been a pain in Chicago because of playing time and a lack of veterans to give guidance. I think Marbury, Houston, Kurt, and Isiah are good role models for a guy with serious athleticism and game. He is better than anything we can do now. Dampier scares me more with complacency.
Bonn1997
USA
8/3/2004  5:11 AM
Posted by codeunknown:

The comparison was between 4 deals and 1 large equivalent one. The example I gave you perfectly demonstrates that multiple expiring players can be taken back for a proven commodity.
Sure, when they're 3 medium sized expiring contracts averaging about $6 mil each (rather than 4 tiny ones like the Knicks averaging $2.5 mil each). That's apples and oranges
raven
Member: #316
Canada
8/3/2004  5:31 AM
Posted by rain:

Crawford has been a pain in Chicago because of playing time and a lack of veterans to give guidance. I think Marbury, Houston, Kurt, and Isiah are good role models for a guy with serious athleticism and game.

Hope we don't overestimate that as well as the "aguirre effect" on our interior players.
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
8/3/2004  9:06 AM
Posted by Bonn1997:

You CAN'T be against this trade on a talent for talent analysis. If it goes through, we get the best backcourt player and the best frontcourt player out of the six players involved. I guess you CAN be against it if you don't like the idea of improving by taking back longer contracts, in which case you were probably against the Marbury trade (same principle: we get the better players, they get the expiring contracts) and in which case you'll probably be against many trades Isiah makes. Or you could be against this proposed trade if you thought our tiny expiring contracts were actually going to yield us TWO very good players (like Jamal and Dampier), which just isn't realistic considering how tiny the contracts are.

[Edited by - Bonn1997 on 08/02/2004 18:20:04]

i'm against that trade because the Knicks would be taking back the worst contract & giving up ending contracts for him...giving up Frank in the deal i have no problem w/as i see more potential in JC, but the fact that these guys have the moolians to demand that the Knicks take back JYD's horrible contract which they DESPERATELY want to unload & are not willing to take back ANY bad contracts on their end after a previous deal had already been worked out where the Knicks would be giving up Shandon is just too much to take...tell the Bulls to include a pick & i'll be OK with that...but if this deal doesn't get done, it's not the end of the world for me...like i said, the Knicks have other options open to them...

& let's leave the Stephon Marbury trade comparisons alone...the difference was that the Knicks were getting a PROVEN top 2 PG in the game in that deal while also getting rid of their most heinous contract in Howard Eisley in the process...if you had taken out Howard Eisley's contract in that deal & replaced it w/an expiring contract instead, while i still would have done that deal based on Stephon Marbury's star appeal alone, it certainly wouldn't have made it easier to like that trade either.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
Jc deal still on? Shandon staying

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy