[ IMAGES: Images OFF turn on | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Jc deal still on? Shandon staying
Author Thread
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
8/2/2004  7:27 PM
It's still a pretty good deal. Its just not as big a slam dunk as it used to be.
Yeah, that's my view. I think Isiah set too high expectations in a few fans' minds with the ridiculous trade rumors earlier with Shandon and/or Moochie going to Chicago. I agree with you that I'd like them to take Moochie, but it wouldn't be the deal breaker for me.
AUTOADVERT
firefly
Alba Posts: 17
Member: #721
United Kingdom
8/2/2004  7:45 PM
it wasn't just hgh expectations. paxon agreed to shandon being in the deal. he is now changing his mind and, instead he expects us to give up every single asset we have, to pick up crawford to playmax 20 mins a night and one of his biggest financial headaches.

I really like crawford. I think he has great potential in the very near future. but I hope Isiah walks away from this one. we have better things to do. worst case scenario, we still got penny and frank
Some men see things as they are and ask why. I dream things that never were and ask why not?
Bonn1997
USA
8/2/2004  7:47 PM
Is this deal really that great? We lose all our bargaining chips and we have to keep Shandon.

Actually, there's no point in debating this trade. I just checked several old threads and found out that this trade is IMPOSSIBLE because BRIGGS has made it clear that no Crawford deal will occur
Bonn1997
USA
8/2/2004  7:48 PM
Posted by firefly:

it wasn't just hgh expectations. paxon agreed to shandon being in the deal.
We know idea what was ever agreed to. Only two people in the world know. It doesn't matter, though; Briggs already said this deal is impossible.

[Edited by - Bonn1997 on 08/02/2004 19:49:34]
codeunknown
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #704
8/2/2004  7:53 PM
Posted by firefly:

it wasn't just hgh expectations. paxon agreed to shandon being in the deal. he is now changing his mind and, instead he expects us to give up every single asset we have, to pick up crawford to playmax 20 mins a night and one of his biggest financial headaches.

I really like crawford. I think he has great potential in the very near future. but I hope Isiah walks away from this one. we have better things to do. worst case scenario, we still got penny and frank

I'll agree with that. I think the fairest deal is with them getting Shandon, who fills a hole as a defensive swingman, and 3 expiring deals for Crawford and JYD. Tweaking the deal any further, in my opinion, will mean slighting one team.
Sh-t in the popcorn to go with sh-t on the court. Its a theme show like Medieval times.
firefly
Alba Posts: 17
Member: #721
United Kingdom
8/2/2004  7:56 PM
THREE people knew. your forgetting briggs. and why didn't you say earlier what the crown prince of pessism ordained. would have saved me a lot of time and agro!! lol.

p.s. we just kiddin briggs. we value your input greatly.
Some men see things as they are and ask why. I dream things that never were and ask why not?
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
8/2/2004  8:24 PM
this trade has a more realistic tone. really it's the knicks capitulating to the bulls demands of ending contracts +FW for Crawford and a bad contract. That nets the Bulls nearly 13+mm and gives them the vet help upfront with a big young PG who still is untapped.

We get the best player in the deal

It sounds like a reality -based deal now.
RIP Crushalot😞
crzymdups
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #671
USA
8/2/2004  8:30 PM
this trade seems to favor the Bulls now. Including Shandon made it seem to favor the Knicks.

While it would be nice to rid ourselves of Shandon, it'd be nicer to have Crawford and an explosive backcourt. This trade seems like it could happen.

The bad part is: this deal would represent all of our good chips. I'm not sure if it's a great idea with Damps more or less on the market and now Shawn Matrix Marion out there.

But, in reality the Knicks probably can't either guy. This trade is a huge risk. It'll be interesting to see whether Zeke makes it.
¿ △ ?
Knicksfan
Alba Posts: 27
Member: #691
USA
8/2/2004  8:41 PM
I am one of the people that would like to see Crawford a Knick next season and I hope a deal gets done. But if this is the only deal now that can bring him to NY, then Isiah should just walk away. Some say that Paxon is in the driver's seat because he doesn't have to make this deal. Well, we also don't have to make this deal to be a good team next season. Our biggest need is a center, and we get none out of this deal so this isn's a make or break trade. Some here are making it look like JYD is a big reason why this trade would help us a lot, but the fact is that he is in the trade because the Bulls don't want him. We get him in the trade? That's ok, but he isn't a reason to make this deal, he is just part of it. The real benefits of the former proposal was that we would get a young talent in Crawford and get rid of our worst contract in Shandon. Their benefits were trading two players they don't really want and getting expiring contracts to help them next offseason or in other trades.

Now, the new trade only gets us Crawford along with another bad contract. The fact that we don't trade one of our bad contracts as well and that we trade all of our expiring contracts leaves us with no room for more trades in the future and with a worse salary cap. People can't look at this as a talent-for-talent trade because that isn't the reason for the trade. The Bulls aren't trading to use our players to win, they do it for financial reasons, so if we don't take care of that aspect from our part we will be making a mistake. We get talent but we lose future opportunities. I like what I know about Craw, but he is no sure thing, and he doesn't come to fill our greatest need. A backup SG can be signed with half of the MLE.

Making this trade just to make a move would be a big mistake. With our frontcourt not really established yet and our big need for a center, losing flexibility would hurt our goal of being a contender in some seasons. At least the Shandon deal rid us from a bad contract. But this deal doesn't help us a lot, so I don't think that Isiah should do it.
Knicks_Fan
codeunknown
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #704
8/2/2004  9:08 PM
Knicksfan's analysis is right on. The value of 4 expiring deals totalling $11 mil can go a long way in a trade, they must not be squandered in a deal that have us taking back another long contract tied to a relatively useless player. If they take Shandon, Ill take back both JYD and ERob, but not otherwise.

If they want to minimally reduce the deal, Ill do Deke and Frank and cash for Crawford, if that works. Its amusing to me to think that Paxson would try and leverage the deal to the extent where they don't have to take Shandon. With 4 expiring deals and throwing in Hinrich, they could attempt to steal J Kidd at the deadline. There are other possibilities too. And if Crawford isn't traded (no other teams appear to be interested), he'll leave for nothing next summer.
Sh-t in the popcorn to go with sh-t on the court. Its a theme show like Medieval times.
timmyTtop
Member: #680
8/2/2004  9:34 PM
Posted by codeunknown:

Knicksfan's analysis is right on. The value of 4 expiring deals totalling $11 mil can go a long way in a trade, they must not be squandered in a deal that have us taking back another long contract tied to a relatively useless player. If they take Shandon, Ill take back both JYD and ERob, but not otherwise.

If they want to minimally reduce the deal, Ill do Deke and Frank and cash for Crawford, if that works. Its amusing to me to think that Paxson would try and leverage the deal to the extent where they don't have to take Shandon. With 4 expiring deals and throwing in Hinrich, they could attempt to steal J Kidd at the deadline. There are other possibilities too. And if Crawford isn't traded (no other teams appear to be interested), he'll leave for nothing next summer.

i like your thinking, most knick fans are growing impatient, but right now, we don't have to make any deals too soon, our raw team is good enough to be amazing in teh east. more concern should be brought to houston's knees.
franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
8/2/2004  9:37 PM
I know Frank Williams isn't anything yet- but he's being tossed into this deal like he's not worth anything- I'm sorry, but he could be a top pg- not top ten, certainly, but a servicable floor general-

I don't mind giving up some things, the deal before, perhaps minus moochie, was pretty close to even.

how about the 350 lb Curry being included?

Now, I won't mind giving everything up then

or, what about a draft pick?

Sure, we're going to get a good player- but chicago is getting something out of this deal too-
timmyTtop
8/2/2004  9:45 PM
why would u want curry, he's bloated, physically, not financially, and he's the epitome of lazyness and inconsistency.
Knicksfan
Alba Posts: 27
Member: #691
USA
8/2/2004  9:51 PM
Posted by timmyTtop:

why would u want curry, he's bloated, physically, not financially, and he's the epitome of lazyness and inconsistency.

Well, he is also tall, a center, young, has potential to be very good, and maybe a change of scenary will get his mind and body into the game and could become a good young player for us. That weight thing is really something surprising and frustrating for the Bulls, and they believe that he may need to change his address to become something in the NBA. He may be a bigger risk than Crawford, but maybe its a risk worth taking. Now, the Bulls including him in a deal with us, thats another issue.
Knicks_Fan
timmyTtop
8/2/2004  10:18 PM
Posted by Knicksfan:
Posted by timmyTtop:

That weight thing is really something surprising and frustrating for the Bulls, and they believe that he may need to change his address to become something in the NBA.

... and they believe? im sure they'll believe sweetney frank williams and kurt thomas is fair for crawford too.
tkf
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #87
8/2/2004  10:19 PM
paxon can go screw himself, really, now we have to keep anderson? that sucks, really a big benifit of this trade was getting rid of his albatross contract.... I like craw a lot but 11 mil in expiring deals come trade deadline can really make the knicks a player in big deals... You know that there will be some loser organizations dumping primo talent for expiring deals, I think the knicks have some interesting young pieces, in frankie, sweetney, ariza and Dj to develop, the core of marbs, Houston, TT, Kt, naz, can keep us competitive until the trade deadline, I really want craw but not at the expense of dumb azz paxon trying to stick it to us...
Anyone who sits around and waits for the lottery to better themselves, either in real life or in sports, Is a Loser............... TKF
crzymdups
USA
8/2/2004  10:38 PM
Posted by tkf:

paxon can go screw himself, really, now we have to keep anderson? that sucks, really a big benifit of this trade was getting rid of his albatross contract.... I like craw a lot but 11 mil in expiring deals come trade deadline can really make the knicks a player in big deals... You know that there will be some loser organizations dumping primo talent for expiring deals, I think the knicks have some interesting young pieces, in frankie, sweetney, ariza and Dj to develop, the core of marbs, Houston, TT, Kt, naz, can keep us competitive until the trade deadline, I really want craw but not at the expense of dumb azz paxon trying to stick it to us...

Agreed. Our contracts will be worth more at the deadline anyway. Walk away, Zeke.
¿ △ ?
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
8/2/2004  10:39 PM
no, i think this is a good trade for the knicks. [if this really is true] the bottom line is the knicks want to win NOW--there is a real possibility that Allan may never be the same player and if anything happens where he cant play, having jamal is a high quality replacement. he's rangy,athletic and has tremendous talent + will take pressure off Marbury bringing the ball up. is there downsides with jamal--obviously no one wanted him that bad--even his own team--really his value is as a PG but i think if you have two guys who can play kind of a combo role that can work. it also makes a small team smaller yet makes us more athletic and sure beats watching andersen.

what you are saying is you think we can be patient and find a better deal at the deadline---i doubt it --why? we have no draft picks to trade until 2010 and there are plenty of teams with ending contracts. on top of that we would have jamal from the start of the season

if you look at the first 8 games, i mean we need to haev a full boat right from the start or we will be back treading water out of the gate again. it will be very difficult with jamal AND houston --- if we had neither we could be staring at 0-8

if we can stem the tide from the start it will give the team a lot of momentum so the beginning of this season IMHO is key.

i think getting Jamal is a positive as long as his salary is REASONABLE in line with what ginobli richardson etc.. the only thing that would bother me is giving up some kind of unprotected pick even if its 6 yeasr from now or paying jamal way over his amrket value--other than that im happy to trade what is proposed for jamal. you are not going to do much better.
RIP Crushalot😞
Bonn1997
USA
8/2/2004  11:07 PM
Wow; I actually agree with Briggs on this one.

You are NOT going to get a player more talented than Crawford with a few tiny expiring contracts.

The four expiring contracts may total around $10 mil, but they are not nearly as good as having one expiring contract worth that amount because they force a team to use up four roster spots. Can anyone actually name a young player more talented than Crawford that has been obtained with a bunch of tiny expiring contracts?

As for SG not being a need, I dis agree. No NBA player has ever returned from microfracture surgery to be even 50% of the player he previously was and Isiah realizes that you can't expect much from Houston. C and SG are our two biggest needs and SG is more addressable this summer because we don't have the right assets to get Dampier.

I'd like to see Isiah add Jamal, JYD, Baker, and Gadzuric this summer.
crzymdups
USA
8/2/2004  11:10 PM
Is Gadzuric restricted? What's his deal? I would love to get him and y'all keep mentioning him, but is he even a realistic possibility?
¿ △ ?
Jc deal still on? Shandon staying

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy