Jc deal still on? Shandon staying
Author Thread
firefly
Alba Posts: 17
Member: #721
United Kingdom
8/2/2004  5:18 PM
Tis from Chicagosports.com

Agent Aaron Goodwin is working to get the Knicks and Bulls to agree on a streamlined trade that would send his client Jamal Crawford and Jerome Williams to New York for Othella Harrington, Dikembe Mutombo, Frank Williams and Cezary Trybanski, sources said.

The Bulls no longer appear willing to accept Shandon Anderson's contract, foiling Isiah Thomas' latest proposal of Anderson, Mutombo and Frank Williams that Goodwin felt Bulls general manager John Paxson had agreed to accept.

Is this deal really that great? We lose all our bargaining chips and we have to keep Shandon.

Thoughts?
Some men see things as they are and ask why. I dream things that never were and ask why not?
AUTOADVERT
Caseloads
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #41
8/2/2004  5:26 PM
we should keep shandon
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
8/2/2004  5:26 PM
FORGET IT ALREADY! next thing the Bulls will be asking for Stephon Marbury next or no deal...this is ridiculous! if they want to keep him that bad, let them keep him & move on! freakin' PAXSON & his demands...gimme a break already.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
Caseloads
Member: #41
8/2/2004  5:27 PM
Posted by Caseloads:

we should keep shandon
i was just kidding
simrud
Member: #474
USA
8/2/2004  5:28 PM
Well this actually sounds like a realistic trade. All the other offers seemed straight out of fantasy bball. It would make more sense for the Bulls to push E-Rob to us over JYD thou.
A glimmer of hope maybe?!?
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
8/2/2004  5:34 PM
It's the same deal minus the E-Rob/Shandon component. So we still robb them, just not quite as badly. I could accept it!
firefly
United Kingdom
8/2/2004  5:41 PM
I dunno. We get roster spots open but.... One of the best things about the original trade i thought was that we got rid of our second worse contract and a guy who is quite frankly, useless.

And for all our chips, what are we getting in return? Even if JC ends up being the third coming, with Houston healthy he wont be starting for at leasta year. And if JYD is as good as advertised, how comes he cant stay with one team for more then a year or two?

So we dole out more long term bucks, and were left with the same cr*p we had before.

Whats the use?

P.S. Im not being pessimistic, but i dont think Isiah should make a move just for the sake of it, and thats what this would be.
Some men see things as they are and ask why. I dream things that never were and ask why not?
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
8/2/2004  5:45 PM
Posted by Bonn1997:

It's the same deal minus the E-Rob/Shandon component. So we still robb them, just not quite as badly. I could accept it!

rob them? Crawford, JYD for Williams and expiring contracts is a bad trade IMHO. Shooting guards are a dime a dozen. Giving up Deke and Harrington and Cezary blocks all sorts of other trades. I wouldn't even do Crawford for Williams straight up if their contracts matched.
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
8/2/2004  5:54 PM
Posted by Bonn1997:

getting rid of Shandon was almost HALF of what i liked about that trade to begin with...forget it...why should the Knicks take back JYD's contract if they're not going to take on Shandon's? no deal i say...JC can take the qualifying offer for a year & become an UFA in the offseason & they can lose him for nothing for all i care...F John Paxson & his stupid demands, as if he were in the driver's seat here...let him deal w/an unhappy player for a whole year & create another bad situation at the SG position if he wants...the Knicks have other options open to them.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
Bonn1997
USA
8/2/2004  6:03 PM
We get roster spots open

I forgot about that part. We free up TWO roster spots. That would be really good actually. 4 for 2 trades are usually very tough to pull off.

Well this actually sounds like a realistic trade.

Yeah, it's much more realistic. We get the two best players involved; they get the expiring contracts.
firefly
United Kingdom
8/2/2004  6:06 PM
F John Paxson & his stupid demands, as if he were in the driver's seat here...let him deal w/an unhappy player for a whole year & create another bad situation at the SG position if he wants...the Knicks have other options open to them.

Damn skippy! Good post.

We have better things to do with our money
Bonn1997
USA
8/2/2004  6:18 PM
You CAN'T be against this trade on a talent for talent analysis. If it goes through, we get the best backcourt player and the best frontcourt player out of the six players involved. I guess you CAN be against it if you don't like the idea of improving by taking back longer contracts, in which case you were probably against the Marbury trade (same principle: we get the better players, they get the expiring contracts) and in which case you'll probably be against many trades Isiah makes. Or you could be against this proposed trade if you thought our tiny expiring contracts were actually going to yield us TWO very good players (like Jamal and Dampier), which just isn't realistic considering how tiny the contracts are.

[Edited by - Bonn1997 on 08/02/2004 18:20:04]
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
8/2/2004  6:39 PM
isnt this what you use expiring contracts for? Getting a player you covet? This deal is just how you rate Crawford plain and simple. If you see the guy that scored 50 points, the guy that has gotten MUCH better EVERY year he's been in the league, the guy that can play both guard spots, the guy that almost unguardable one on one, the guy that can split defender and soar for a dunk, or pass the rock on a line, the guy thats 24 years old... if you see that guy them make the trade. Where do I sign?

If you see the guy whose FG% has gone down each of the last 3 years and has never played on a teams thats one 20 games your worried, and maybe you pass.

Personally I do it. I like Frank, always have, but you lose 3 guys that older, dont play and have absolutely no roll here, and you replace them with 2 very high energy player. JYD's skills are limited, but his energy isnt. Look at his minutes. Give him minutes he gives you double doubles, give him 10 minutes he comes out with floor burns and to a standing ovation.

The thought of dumping Shandon waas too good to be true. We get the most talented player in the deal, and we lose Frank. I dont like that. He showed toughness shoving Kidd, then guarding him like a dog in those two MSG games. Too little too late but these are the kinds of guys we want our roster full off.

Too me this would just be another wait and see if Isiah is right. I would have no beef either way.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
firefly
United Kingdom
8/2/2004  6:43 PM
The reason why im against this trade as it is, is because we should be trying, hard though it is to replace the bad with the good. How many other oppertunities do you think we're ever going to have to get rid of Shandon "I cant believe I suckered them into giving me all this money" Anderson? None. Nada. Zilch. Zero. Somehow, Isiah Thomas has managed to convince a man who is not only not incarcerated in a mental institution, but is actually running a basketball club, to consider taking him off our hands. For me there were two things going on in this trade. 1. We get a could-be great future talent in Jamal (future because he plays in the same position as our second best and most immovable player). 2. We get rid of the aforementioned Shandon "Oh, is THAT what the ball looks like" Anderon. Anything else, including ERobbs expiring deal in a year, or JYD's hustle play was all gravy. But if we cant get rid of Anderson now, then my friends, he will be stuck to us like fungus forever.

firefly
United Kingdom
8/2/2004  6:48 PM
Just out of interest. Who are the agents for all the rest of the players in this deal? Why is Goodwin the only one involved?
Bonn1997
USA
8/2/2004  6:52 PM
Posted by firefly:

The reason why im against this trade as it is, is because we should be trying, hard though it is to replace the bad with the good. How many other oppertunities do you think we're ever going to have to get rid of Shandon
(a) Getting rid of Shandon and (b) getting the best backcourt player involved in the deal and (c) getting the best frontcourt player involved in the deal is too good to be true. I'll settle for 2 out of 3
firefly
United Kingdom
8/2/2004  7:01 PM
But if you expand the deal a little, we are losing almost any chance of getting Dampier or Walker. So we're missing out on the best front-court players.

But, on the other hand, I suppose Isiah would only do this deal if all the others were dead already.

Funny thing is, we all hear and speculate about rumours day in and day out,. but when the deals happen, there always seems to be something different that nobody thought of before in there. Hopefully in this case it will be moochie. Picking up jeffries just to keep Othella or Deke would be very useful for other deals.

[Edited by - firefly on 08/02/2004 19:03:27]
VDesai
Alba Posts: 44
Member: #477
USA
8/2/2004  7:08 PM
It's still a pretty good deal. Its just not as big a slam dunk as it used to be. Getting rid of Shandon was huge. Taking on ERobb is no big deal. I thought Paxson was definitely willing to take Shandon, Deke, Harrington, williams, Tryb for Erobb, JYD, Craw and possibly Jeffries. Him changing his mind now is quite annoying. He's stuck...perhaps we should just walk away and let him coming running back....or maybe Craw's agent will start getting de[erate.

If we're they are not gonna take Shandond AND take all of our expiring deals, they should at least take Moochie.
timmyTtop
Member: #680
8/2/2004  7:16 PM
the reason why goodwin is the only one involved is because he's an involved agent, hence the #1 agent in america after landing lebron james. also, the other players are kind of wishy washy about even being in the deal, considering new players are dismissed and added every other day. also, they really arent fighting for a contract or extension for that matter, its jc's bank account that'll be growin, no one elses. but aside from this, how much would we be paying jc anyway, cuz if he's only playing 15-20 mins first year or two, is he worth the 8 or 9 mil we'd be spending? just bc his contract that we'd give him isnt throught he roof like houstons, doesn't mean we may not be overpaying him.
Bonn1997
USA
8/2/2004  7:24 PM
If Houston surprises me and recovers well enough to be a starter, there should still be plenty of time for Jamal (if the trade goes through). Isiah's said he wants a 3 guard rotation, which would mean a minimum of around 25 mpg for Crawford. (I personally would start Crawford and try to prolong Houston's career by just asking him to be a scoring threat off the bench for about 25 mpg.)
Jc deal still on? Shandon staying

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy