[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Great article on how Grant and Wroten will thrive in Hornacek's system
Author Thread
mreinman
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #3189

5/26/2016  11:18 AM
matt wrote:Not sure why we'd trade Lopez. His play and contract are excellent. Need to have some consistency here.

consistency ... thats a good point. Why would we trade a guy who has now learned the triangle and is on a good contract and is a damn good team guy?

so here is what phil is thinking ....
AUTOADVERT
nixluva
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #758
USA
5/26/2016  12:29 PM
mreinman wrote:
matt wrote:Not sure why we'd trade Lopez. His play and contract are excellent. Need to have some consistency here.

consistency ... thats a good point. Why would we trade a guy who has now learned the triangle and is on a good contract and is a damn good team guy?

I don't see any way that RoLo is traded. He's one of Phil's best moves. He doesn't need to move him in order to improve the team at guard. If anything we needed better depth at C/PF. I also think he's still a good mentor for KP and also Willy when he gets here.

Another thing people forget is that RoLo is an excellent screen setter and roll man. If JH brings back the PnR, then we'll see even more of what RoLo can do for our guards and the team as a whole. He'll show even more versatility now with some post up and a lot more PnR.

StarksEwing1
Member: #4451

5/26/2016  12:40 PM
nixluva wrote:
mreinman wrote:

I don't see any way that RoLo is traded. He's one of Phil's best moves. He doesn't need to move him in order to improve the team at guard. If anything we needed better depth at C/PF. I also think he's still a good mentor for KP and also Willy when he gets here.

Another thing people forget is that RoLo is an excellent screen setter and roll man. If JH brings back the PnR, then we'll see even more of what RoLo can do for our guards and the team as a whole. He'll show even more versatility now with some post up and a lot more PnR.

No way in hell im trading Lopez unless it was for a lottery pick or something. Him and KP make a good frontcourt duo
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
5/26/2016  2:18 PM
I suppose the notion of trading Rolo depends on what is being offered. Naturally we then have a need for a center.
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
5/26/2016  3:43 PM
I like Wroten as part of the equation. I dont5 think hes a PG I think hes more of a SG who can shoot that well but has game. A big part of his game is his size and athletic ability so well have to see how hes coming back from injury. I think I saw him working with H2O on the shot--so that a positive.
RIP Crushalot😞
nixluva
USA
5/26/2016  3:49 PM
BRIGGS wrote:I like Wroten as part of the equation. I dont5 think hes a PG I think hes more of a SG who can shoot that well but has game. A big part of his game is his size and athletic ability so well have to see how hes coming back from injury. I think I saw him working with H2O on the shot--so that a positive.

Wroten is a Combo guard and he has great court vision. I'm very interested to see him and Jerian playing under JH. I think he can really help them to fully utilize all their talent. The both of them should give this team a high level of speed and ability to get to the rim and create for others. Also their length and quickness should help the team defense compared to Jose and AA who were possibly the worst defensive backcourt in history.

BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
5/26/2016  6:24 PM
nixluva wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:I like Wroten as part of the equation. I dont5 think hes a PG I think hes more of a SG who can shoot that well but has game. A big part of his game is his size and athletic ability so well have to see how hes coming back from injury. I think I saw him working with H2O on the shot--so that a positive.

Wroten is a Combo guard and he has great court vision. I'm very interested to see him and Jerian playing under JH. I think he can really help them to fully utilize all their talent. The both of them should give this team a high level of speed and ability to get to the rim and create for others. Also their length and quickness should help the team defense compared to Jose and AA who were possibly the worst defensive backcourt in history.

I would be very concerned w their outside shooting. If we add curry and crabbe. Or maybe forbes we d be able to space more. Wrotten and grant contract the court

RIP Crushalot😞
nixluva
USA
5/26/2016  7:43 PM
BRIGGS wrote:
nixluva wrote:

I would be very concerned w their outside shooting. If we add curry and crabbe. Or maybe forbes we d be able to space more. Wrotten and grant contract the court

Obviously Phil is looking for shooters. That's the only logical thing to do when you have penetrating guards. As for contracting the court I wouldn't go that far. KP and Melo will still be able to put the fear in teams from 3. The idea isn't to go into next year with only Grant and Wroten. Also a lot of the spacing is coming from player movement. Those High PnR plays, Dribble Hand offs and Drag Screens force defensive reaction and will leave guys open in the corners and out top like it did for Frye.
crzymdups
Member: #671
USA
5/27/2016  1:46 PM
Just watching some Grant highlights. I feel like this kid has it. I'm excited to see him next season.

I think it is very very good to have a head coach who was a guard, let alone a fantastic, cerebral guard like Hornacek. Sky is the limit for Grant.

This was one of my favorite games of the season - unfortunately, it was probably the high water mark, but something to build on -

¿ △ ?
nixluva
USA
5/27/2016  1:56 PM
crzymdups wrote:Just watching some Grant highlights. I feel like this kid has it. I'm excited to see him next season.

I think it is very very good to have a head coach who was a guard, let alone a fantastic, cerebral guard like Hornacek. Sky is the limit for Grant.

This was one of my favorite games of the season - unfortunately, it was probably the high water mark, but something to build on -

Be careful not to "overhype" Grant. The hype police will get ya! 😜

fishmike
Member: #298
USA
5/27/2016  3:03 PM
how is Grant overhyped? Dude was best P&R guard in college and while he had his struggles last year and his #s don't impress he there is enough. He will be a good player for many years. All star? Middle rotation? Role player? Time will tell but Grant will be nice piece for a long time. He struggled as a rookie PG. He will be fine
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
PhilinLA
Member: #696
5/28/2016  1:22 PM
If this was a better draft, I'd trade RoLo for a package that included a first. But it may not be a good enough draft to do that. And I'd trade him because his deal and skillset are attractive to the market and it's time to build a new core around KP, and RoLo won't be part of that.
http://amonthhoffundays.blogspot.com/ We got a ringer.
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

5/28/2016  3:34 PM
StarksEwing1 wrote:
nixluva wrote:
mreinman wrote:

No way in hell im trading Lopez unless it was for a lottery pick or something. Him and KP make a good frontcourt duo

+1

Its been an experience reading all these trade scenarios. Fans have been clamoring for years for a frontcourt that can match up with some of the best big man tandems in the league. We have that now.

This team needs a playoff proven PG who has something left in the tank (on a short term) deal while Grant develops, and as already mentioned, some depth in the frontcourt. On to the next one...

mreinman

5/28/2016  10:23 PM
PhilinLA wrote:If this was a better draft, I'd trade RoLo for a package that included a first. But it may not be a good enough draft to do that. And I'd trade him because his deal and skillset are attractive to the market and it's time to build a new core around KP, and RoLo won't be part of that.

another trade rolo post ... brilliant ... of course he can't be part of the new core ... the dude stinks

wargames
Member: #6053

5/28/2016  10:39 PM
If we keep Rolo, Cool. If we trade him for youth, Cool. I've seen too many smoke screens to get excited about a rumor based on another rumor.

Phil does his GM stuff close to his chest. I was in here two weeks ago convinced the coach would be vogel or Blatt, about a month ago that it could be Rambis, and had no real idea Fisher was going to be fired until it was announced.

I am in wait and see more and I think its the smartest move based on what we've seen from phil.

The algorithm gives and the algorithm takes away
mreinman

5/28/2016  10:47 PM
wargames wrote:If we keep Rolo, Cool. If we trade him for youth, Cool. I've seen too many smoke screens to get excited about a rumor based on another rumor.

Phil does his GM stuff close to his chest. I was in here two weeks ago convinced the coach would be vogel or Blatt, about a month ago that it could be Rambis, and had no real idea Fisher was going to be fired until it was announced.

I am in wait and see more and I think its the smartest move based on what we've seen from phil.

And I think that it is beyond dumb unless we rip off another team.

nixluva
USA
6/7/2016  9:51 PM
Here's another article on how Horny can help Wroten. This is Chris Herring.

By Chris Herring
June 7, 2016 6:40 p.m. ET

Is Tony Wroten the Key to Jeff Hornacek’s Plan for the Knicks?
More important than whatever tweaks Hornacek plans to make to Phil Jackson’s triangle offense is his belief that the Knicks must play much faster. Enter Tony Wroten.

Tony Wroten, who left the Philadelphia 76ers to sign with the Knicks in March, may well be the Knicks’ key to playing a more up-tempo style.

For months, most of the chatter surrounding the Knicks and their search for a new coach focused on the team’s triangle offense and who could run it. Now that they’ve settled on Jeff Hornacek, that talk only figures to escalate, since Hornacek will have the freedom to develop a hybrid version of Phil Jackson’s hobby horse.

But that’s only the start of the conversation. More important than whatever tweaks Hornacek plans to make to the triangle—and it’s worth remembering here that Derek Fisher tried to alter the offense, to no avail—is the coach’s belief that the Knicks must play much faster than they have in recent years.

In short, speed is killing the Knicks. They have ranked dead last in fast-break points in each of the past four seasons, allowing teams like the Boston Celtics and Indiana Pacers to set their stout defenses and prevent the Knicks from catching them off guard. Fast breaks, of course, often start with a turnover on the defensive end, and the Knicks forced fewer turnovers than any team in the history of 82-game NBA era this past season.

When Hornacek arrived in Phoenix for the 2013-14 season, he immediately helped the Suns improve from 29th in offensive efficiency to eighth, and from 14th in fast-break scoring to first. So he clearly has a sense of how to boost offensive pace. But finding concrete ways to speed up the Knicks will be a considerable challenge. The Knicks employ the NBA’s oldest starting point guard (Jose Calderon) and a star (Carmelo Anthony) who slows down games to go 1-on-1 more than any other player in the Eastern Conference.

Hornacek knows that the Knicks will need to be in great shape to execute his system and generate more quick-strike chances.

“They have been [playing] at a slower pace, so we’re going to have to put some things in to speed them up,” he said. “We’ll probably speed them up past where we want them to go, then we’ll slow them down a little bit, just so we can get them into certain habits.” (Hornacek’s first team in Phoenix, during the 2013-14 season, began at a blistering pace in October and November before slowing considerably in December and January.)

It’s rare for a team as old as these Knicks to significantly increase their pace. So youth will be a critical factor. Rookie point guard Jerian Grant, who was likely to get a shot at a starting role next year anyway, is a quicker, more athletic option to run Hornacek’s offense than the aging Calderon, though Calderon is a much better shooter. Hornacek has suggested it would be ideal to have a player who bridges the divide between the two.

The Knicks already have such a player on the roster: Tony Wroten, whom they signed in March.

Next season will be Wroten’s fifth in the NBA, but he just turned 23 years old in April. So he has experience, but with considerable room to grow. He’s used to playing fast—his 2013 76ers team was the fastest, relative to average NBA pace, the NBA has seen in six years—and he takes a quarter of his shots within the first six seconds of the shot clock, where his field-goal percentage has been nearly 20 points higher than it is in other situations, according to NBA.com.

Wroten, who has endured years of knee problems and his currently rehabbing his right knee to prepare for summer training, has the sort of driving ability that would appeal to Hornacek. If there’s a concern with him (other than injuries and shooting), it’s his tunnel vision once he finds a lane to the basket. Among the 37 players who drove six times a game or more in 2013-14, Wroten’s only full season, the ex-76ers guard finished last by a wide margin in pass percentage, finding a teammate just over 10% of the time after breaking down the defense, per SportVU tracking technology. (He also would have finished last among regulars in 2014, when he passed ball while driving just 14.5% of the time.)

“In this game, you’ve got to be a good passer. If you’re not a good passer, you’re not going to help the team win,” Hornacek said last week, speaking generally about his offense. “We really try to emphasize passing ability of the guys, and hopefully it’ll lead to some easy buckets.”

Wroten may well be the Knicks’ key to playing a more up-tempo style. But even if he is, it will take Hornacek considerably longer than it took him in Phoenix to bring the Knicks up to speed.

martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
6/7/2016  9:54 PM
http://www.wsj.com/articles/is-tony-wroten-the-key-to-jeff-hornaceks-plan-for-the-knicks-1465339212
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
6/7/2016  10:02 PM
^^^nix you are on fire with the articles tonight. Thanks for posting this. I wonder if hornacek is hoping Jackson can be an Isiah Thomas. Also, I it s nice to have a coach talking like a coach.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
nixluva
USA
6/7/2016  10:18 PM
CrushAlot wrote:^^^nix you are on fire with the articles tonight. Thanks for posting this. I wonder if hornacek is hoping Jackson can be an Isiah Thomas. Also, I it s nice to have a coach talking like a coach.

Man this Hornacek hire has me so freakin pumped! It changes everything, including the type of players we can go after and that will want to come here. There is so much activity around this team right now and how often is that the case with a team with ZERO PICKS.

I think JH is the perfect coach for our guard situation. He is like MDA in the way he empowers his guards and our current guards need that.

Great article on how Grant and Wroten will thrive in Hornacek's system

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy