Alba Posts: 17
Member: #721
United Kingdom
8/2/2004  7:26 AM
Todays Chicagi Herald

Paxson: Crawford a Bull ... for now
By Mike McGraw Daily Herald Sports Writer
Posted Monday, August 02, 2004

Bulls general manager John Paxson isn't worried that he will have an unhappy camper on his hands if restricted free agent Jamal Crawford re-signs with the Bulls.

Crawford has drawn interest from New York and has a desire to play there, but the Knicks and Bulls have been unable to agree on a sign-and-trade deal.

"As of right now, he's still a member of our team," Paxson said of the Bulls' leading scorer. "No matter what happens, if he signs with us or takes the qualifying offer (a one-year, $3.5 million contract), he still has things to play for."

The Bulls are willing to give Crawford a six-year deal starting at the midlevel exception, which works out to about $39 million total.

Even though the Bulls added 6-foot-2 Connecticut guard Ben Gordon in the draft, they still have a need for a taller shooting guard.

In New York, the 6-5 Crawford would be insurance in case Allan Houston doesn't return from a knee injury. As a restricted free agent, the Bulls can match any offer Crawford gets from another team.

"He and I have had one very good conversation," Paxson said. "I explained to him, 'I know this is not an easy thing to go through.'

"This system is in place for a reason. Other restricted free agents like Darius Miles and Stromile Swift are going through it, too. We're trying to do what's best for our organization. That's the reality of it."

Nocioni closer: The Bulls participated in a conference call Friday to finalize agreements to sign Argentinian free agent Andres Nocioni and execute a buyout of Nocioni's contract with his team, Spain's Tau Ceramica.

The Bulls are waiting for an official letter of clearance from Tau. Once that arrives, the 6-foot-7 Nocioni should sign a three-year deal with the Bulls before he begins Olympic competition with the Argentinian national team.

Camp could stay put: The Bulls still are scouting some small Midwestern colleges as possible sites to hold the first week of training camp. But a move may not happen until next year since the start of camp is only two months away.

The Bulls checked out more distant possibilities in Colorado Springs, Colo., and Orlando, Fla., but rejected both sites.

And if what people are saying about Nocioni is true, the Bulls should be in the reckoning come playoff time. Nice front-court (Curry, Chandler, Nocioni), very nice back-court (Craw, Hinrich) guys like JYD coming off the bench. Thats a team to be worried about.
Some men see things as they are and ask why. I dream things that never were and ask why not?
AUTOADVERT
firefly
United Kingdom
8/2/2004  7:27 AM
Anyone actually seen Nocioni play? Is he that good?
Some men see things as they are and ask why. I dream things that never were and ask why not?
raven
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #316
Canada
8/2/2004  7:37 AM
every yr chicago is a team to worry about.

THen curry comes overweighted, tyson gets hurt, the coach si fired, the team goes nowhere.

Then everything scramble and it's time to rebuild.
firefly
United Kingdom
8/2/2004  7:45 AM
THen curry comes overweighted, tyson gets hurt, the coach si fired, the team goes nowhere.

LOL. but face it, if we had the chance we'd pick up Chandler in a flash, bad back or not. The guy has too much talent to ignore. And dya remember what Curry did to us last year? He abused anyone we put on him in the middle. It almost made me want to pat KT on the head and tell him it's gonna be ok.
crzymdups
Member: #671
USA
8/2/2004  9:58 AM
Chicago is a mess. Also, this writer has been writing an exagerated Bulls perspective since the Crawford Saga began. He's been saying ridiculous stuff like there's no real point to get rid of Crawford, they're doing the Knicks a favor, while neglecting to mention that cutting salary and getting rid of three players who hate their coach might not be a bad idea.

And now they've decided Crawford is a 'tall shooting guard'??? What? I don't know if there's anyone else in the league who would agree with that assessment of Jamal. He's 6'5" and skinny as hell. He's got great POINT guard skills along with the overall game of a shooting guard. Unfortunately, he's not really big enough to be a starting shooting guard most nights.

Paxson is pulling a Layden here. He's severely overvaluing his assets. Obviously, the Knicks want Jamal and I would welcome him, but the Bulls are getting rid of three bad seeds to get Dikembe one of the all-time statesmen of the game who could teach Tyson and Eddy a little respect and they're getting Shandon who can actually be a tall defensive SG. Paxson is being a jerk, Isiah should just present his offer as final and walk away.
¿ △ ?
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
8/2/2004  11:25 AM
I think thats what you just saw. I have said 1000 times. No need to overpay or make bad moves. Save the expiring deals for the deadline or just let them walk. Keep improving from within.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
raven
Canada
8/2/2004  11:39 AM
Posted by firefly:

LOL. but face it, if we had the chance we'd pick up Chandler in a flash, bad back or not. The guy has too much talent to ignore.

Grant hill has too much talent to ignore. What I meant is that a guy who should be an inside presence that already shows back problems that rpevent him to play half of a yr is pretty scary. Did we talk about the fact that he should be in college ? Just think about the pounding he could take if he was playing on a good team against good teams in meaningful games ?

I'd love to get chandler. But I wouldn't trade sweet for him. See my point ?
Posted by firefly:

And dya remember what Curry did to us last year? He abused anyone we put on him in the middle. It almost made me want to pat KT on the head and tell him it's gonna be ok.

I also remember that my own grand mother could have done the same. Please, our paint is a joke. But hell yeah, I wouldn't mind getting curry.

I never said that those guys couldn't play but sometimes, things just can't work and needs to be blown. Curry really seems to need a change of scenari.
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
8/2/2004  11:40 AM
I think thats what you just saw. I have said 1000 times. No need to overpay or make bad moves. Save the expiring deals for the deadline or just let them walk. Keep improving from within.

I'd rather see Isiah give in to Paxson'd demand that we rob them by taking Crawford, E-Rob, and The Junk Yard Dog for our worst contract(Shandon) plus unimportant players with tiny expiring contracts (Othella and Dikembe)

[Edited by - Bonn1997 on 08/02/2004 11:43:49]
raven
Canada
8/2/2004  11:42 AM
Posted by fishmike:

You said it all fish. Sometimes the better moves are those you don't make.

Should the bulls keep craw, I wish them a lot of joy to take care of 3 guys, disgusted to play in chicago when they had a hope to play somewhere else.

I'm pretty sure that will have a very good impact on their already stinking chemistry.

[Edited by - raven on 08/02/2004 11:43:31]
firefly
United Kingdom
8/2/2004  3:59 PM
Originally posted by Raven
Did we talk about the fact that he should be in college ?

Your right. But thats the NBA of today. Kids of tomorrow are the men of today and all that. But Tysons injury isnt something that is career-threatening (yet). Someone needs to give the guy a long extended break, (like we should have done with H20 last year) while hes still on his rookie contract so that he can still have time to earn himself another one, instead of washing up for good.

I'd love to get chandler. But I wouldn't trade sweet for him. See my point ?

No way!! Sweets is going to turn into a serious talent this year, I can feel it. Hes got the body, the temperament and the skills. But I'd trade Fwill for Chandler. Regardless of the insane and neverending overhype for him, I dont think he can get much better. Better Tyson for half a year then a guy who we can easily replace with Penny in the line-up.

Oh, and speaking of temperament, while I admire Eddy Curry for his ability to dominate in the middle, I dont think he has the mental strength to become a major superstar. Hes too much of a baby. Chandler, on the other hand, if healthy has a big chance. Id take Ty over Curry any day of the week.
raven
Canada
8/3/2004  5:58 AM
Posted by firefly:

Hes too much of a baby. Chandler, on the other hand, if healthy has a big chance. Id take Ty over Curry any day of the week.

Wow curry over chandler, man that's a serious opinion !

Point is, maybe you can't teach curry to dominate the game, but can you teach chandler to remain healthy ?

You're in a body versus mind debate where it's hard to find a compromise.

Is a chandler half of the yr better than a full yr of curry ?

There's room for discussion here.

btw firefly I love your sig !

[Edited by - raven on 08/03/2004 05:59:02]
firefly
United Kingdom
8/3/2004  7:17 AM
Thanks. Not sure, but I think its JFK.

Throuoghout the history of the game, we can see players who have the obvious ability, but never made it. People like Ron Mercer or Jalen Rose, who refuse to be more than one-dimensional players (At least Houston tries). Vin Baker or Eddie Griffin who screwed up their careers because they couldnt take the pressure mentally. Maybe its because hes in Chicago or maybe because he hasnt had the leadership that he needs, but so far everything we have seen about Eddy Curry is just that. A man who has the obvius talent to succeed, but wont because he cant hack it. To give an example from another sport, young superstars like Ryan GIggs, Cristiano Ronaldo or Wayne Rooney have huge pressure mounted on the from the start, but the succeed because of the leadership and protection they have been given by their respective coaches( Guys from the US will have no idea who im talking about, sorry. But Raven can at least imagine how Vieira or Henry would have ended up without someone looking after them)

Curry has a chance to become a stronger player mentally, but he hasnt taken any previous chances yet. I mean, he made promises, it was all going to change this year, and what happened? 325 pounds. Maybe, just maybe it would all change if he gets out of Chicago, but who knows.

Tyson Chandler, on the other hand, is quiet, mature and looks like a mentally strong individual. And its not as if he doesnt have the talent to match. Granted my arguement is body over mind a little, but Chandler is no sack of potatoes. He knows how to play.

Guys like LJ managed it( bad back), Penny half made it back, but Chandlers injury is not that bad yet.

So the answer to the question of would you take a talented guy with a very suspect approach to the game or an almost eaqualy talented player with possible injury problems, both on relatively small contracts, my answer would be Chandler any day. I would prefer the prospect of a guy on the IR more then the prospect of a healthy guy screwing with the team temperament in the locker-room.

You gotta be tough to survive, not just strong.
raven
Canada
8/3/2004  10:19 AM
I'm just playing the devil advocate here, as I like chandler very much and the heart he's showed while on court.
Posted by firefly:

Maybe its because hes in Chicago or maybe because he hasnt had the leadership that he needs, but so far everything we have seen about Eddy Curry is just that.

That guy is just what, 20 ? I don't know how old you are, but I personnlay think that I'd have found very difficult to be millionar at that age, playing a game where players are stars. I mean it's a very tough situation to be in, as most of those young guys just loose control.

The chicago bums have been a mess for many yrs, hard to find a solid ground to hold when the entire organization makes mistake on mistake.

Very young team, no clear direxction, and the "highschool hype" was maybe to hard to overcome (see kwame also).

Granted, some of them go throught it, like KG, jermaine oneal and lebron among others. But these guys are more the exception to the norm.

I'm sure that if curry was moved to another city, far from his buddies and in a vet team, he could become dominant.

That question has been asked a lot of time about lamar odom. Major disapointment in clipp city. But now look at the guy. Organization can help non mature players to mature. Being childish at that age doesn't mean you'll remain a fat idiot baby the rest of your life.
Posted by firefly:

Tyson Chandler, on the other hand, is quiet, mature and looks like a mentally strong individual. And its not as if he doesnt have the talent to match. Granted my arguement is body over mind a little, but Chandler is no sack of potatoes. He knows how to play.

I've said or thought anything agaisnt that. Chandler knows how to play. But comparing him to LJ or penny is a bit risky. Both stormed into the league at the second they entered it. Both were not only physical players gifted with great athletism, but they had a huge skill set though vastly overlooked about LJ because of his strenght. LJ could dribble and pass, he could defend and rebound.

They got their injury later. They were proven allstars, they fell. ONe on his back, one lost his knee. As much as I like him, Tyson is very far from them, and playing in another universe. He can play but hasn't got yet a lot of skills (poor shooting, no dribble, bad passing). Though I'd love to get him, again, he's just not ready yet.

The question here is, will he have the time to get ready.

Back problems have killed many interior players. LJ had the chance to be a kind of tweener which Tyson cannot, at least yet. This guy has only played what, less than 200 games and is already forced to be sitted. For a guy who bases his game on his athletism, that's not of good omen, is it ?

Posted by firefly:

You gotta be tough to survive, not just strong.

Hell yeah, but to play basketball in this league, you have to be able to walk too !
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
8/3/2004  10:30 AM
Posted by crzymdups:

Chicago is a mess. Also, this writer has been writing an exagerated Bulls perspective since the Crawford Saga began. He's been saying ridiculous stuff like there's no real point to get rid of Crawford, they're doing the Knicks a favor, while neglecting to mention that cutting salary and getting rid of three players who hate their coach might not be a bad idea.

And now they've decided Crawford is a 'tall shooting guard'??? What? I don't know if there's anyone else in the league who would agree with that assessment of Jamal. He's 6'5" and skinny as hell. He's got great POINT guard skills along with the overall game of a shooting guard. Unfortunately, he's not really big enough to be a starting shooting guard most nights.

Paxson is pulling a Layden here. He's severely overvaluing his assets.
you mean the "Used Car salesman from Hell" routine, don't you?

great post...i couldn't agree more.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
raven
Canada
8/3/2004  10:34 AM
what he has to understand is that he's got a time bomb in his hands. If don't trade them, their chemistry will suck big time.

I don't even imagine what JC must think. One day he's saved, plays in NY and earns gauranteed millions. The next day, he's roting on the bulls bench. Must be hard for the kid.
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
8/3/2004  3:59 PM
Curry should have gone to college and grow up some.

Chandler might have filled out and the demands of NBA play might have not been so heavy on his young back. There are some good reasons SOME of these kids would be served for many reasons to spend a few years developing as people and as basketball players before coming intothe nba.

Nobody made Curry skip college. ITs a big nasty pressure filled existence with big money on the line for everybody.

Kwame ate nothing but popeyes chicken for two months his first season, and did not know how to go to the dry cleaners! Does that effect his game? Yeah,bad diet, and low self esteem that someone might find out or laugh at him becasue he is socially immature!
Craw going nowhere

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy