[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

How does Willy G get up[ and down the court?
Author Thread
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
5/25/2016  9:32 AM
Dont really have video of how he runs the court--if he has a jumpshot--anything about his defense. Its mostly video of him shooting at the basket. Can he handle the ball ?
RIP Crushalot😞
AUTOADVERT
NYKBocker
Alba Posts: 474
Member: #377
USA
5/25/2016  9:52 AM
Here is a good clip that answers some of your questions.
newyorker4ever
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #5816

5/25/2016  10:26 AM
NYKBocker wrote:Here is a good clip that answers some of your questions.

He hit a 3 pointer in the end of that video and his stroke didn't look so bad at all.

callmened
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #4234

5/25/2016  10:31 AM
ive watched him play in the past...nothing special. kinda stiff yet agile. im thinking of a good comparison overall - maybe splitter?!?!

im not really expecting much: i think they drafted him to appease KP

Knicks should be improved: win about 40 games and maybe sneak into the playoffs. Melo, Rose and even Noah will have some nice moments however this team should be about PORZINGUS. the sooner they make him the primary player, the better
knicks1248
Member: #582
5/25/2016  10:39 AM
will they get him up here for summer league?
ES
Cartman718
Member: #1694

5/25/2016  10:39 AM
he doesn't look like an up and down the court guy....yet.
Nixluva is posting triangle screen grabs, even when nobody asks - Fishmike. LOL So are we going to reference that thread like the bible now? "The thread of Wroten Page 14 post 9" - EnySpree
ChuckBuck
Alba Posts: 11
Member: #3806
USA
5/25/2016  10:50 AM
I think Jackson nailed it with his preliminary assessment of Willy. A taller Luis Scola. Methodical plodder, up and unders, lefty and righty hooks and tip ins.

Definitely not a runner, stretch 4, or athletic bounder by any means. A half court grinder type.

WaltLongmire
Member: #5843

5/25/2016  10:58 AM
I remember a few sources before last year's draft who said that he would have been a late #1 if he could have gotten out of his Euro contract.

I'm expecting him to be one of those players who can do a little of everything, but nothing spectacular, and that is fine with me. Much more of a traditional type of big man than KP.

With KP and Melo on the team you want a guy who can set picks, play some garbage ball, and do some damage in the post. Seems to have a good midrange touch. If Hornacek's offense uses a bit more pick and roll play, Willy will do even better.

If he is only playing 15-20+ MPG I don't see why he can get up the court well...there are enough plays of him trailing on a break for a basket to make me think he can run well enough.

Like KP, I think everyone in Willy's family has played professional ball, so he had a good foundation of basketball wisdom to model as he was growing up, and I expect that he also knows how to carry himself on and off the court.

And don't forget...

the guy can dance.

EnySpree: Can we agree to agree not to mention Phil Jackson and triangle for the rest of our lives?
WaltLongmire
Member: #5843

5/25/2016  11:03 AM
Not much of a shot blocker. I don't think he is considered a terrible defender, but he is not supposed to be a standout.

Of course today's NBA game has kind of turned away from D. I figure he will have to learn to move his feet and be a positional defender...I don't see him as being a KP type of shot blocker.

With Lopez and KP, we really don't need more shot blockers, though.

Will be interested in seeing whether Willy and Lopez can play on the court at the same time- not sure Willy can be a stretch 4 defender at this point.

EnySpree: Can we agree to agree not to mention Phil Jackson and triangle for the rest of our lives?
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
5/25/2016  11:06 AM
Willy is Luc Longly type. Good midrange serviceable player who if he can crack the rotation would be a plus.
Has the 3pt stroke which is a plus. Im not expecting much. I'd expect him to play behind KOQ if he makes the roster in the short run. Longer term, I suppose we'll have to see how he adapts.
blkexec
Member: #748
5/25/2016  12:44 PM
He's the type of roll player that works in a triangle system. You don't need a guy who thinks he's a starter. You need players that are comfortable in their role. Phil had a team full of these types of players in Chicago and LA. Don't worry about them.....its the star players that will make a difference. Who will step up and give that 3rd legit starter next to KP and Melo?

Derozan?
Batum?

Born in Brooklyn, Raised in Queens, Lives in Maryland. The future is bright, I'm a Knicks fan for life!
tj23
Member: #3119

5/25/2016  12:52 PM
Draft express doesn't project him well as a defender at all. He's a crafty agile big that's good on the Off glass. I was never thrilled with the pick to be honest. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VWTxIUYTwGs
Finestrg
Member: #1069

5/25/2016  12:58 PM    LAST EDITED: 5/25/2016  2:15 PM
I'm hopeful and excited about him. Really hoping for something close to Enes Kanter. I know a lot of you guys don't care for Kanter but to me, he's a DAMN GOOD offensive player. Real good rebounder too. No way of really knowing until we see him up close but just watching all the clips trying to get a feel, I definitely see some Kanter in Willy.

Besides RoLo and KP, some underrated bigs out there flying under the radar that complement Willy well imo: Jordan Bachynski, Justin Harper (stretch 4--I think a slightly bigger/better version of Chris Copeland) and Khem Birch (athletic shot-blocker/offensive rebounder and he can score a little too 12-13' and in). We can put all these guys together real cheap too which I also like.

EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

5/25/2016  1:27 PM
callmened wrote:ive watched him play in the past...nothing special. kinda stiff yet agile. im thinking of a good comparison overall - maybe splitter?!?!

im not really expecting much: i think they drafted him to appease KP

Dude that just sounds like Isola.

Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

5/25/2016  1:31 PM    LAST EDITED: 5/25/2016  1:34 PM
ChuckBuck wrote:I think Jackson nailed it with his preliminary assessment of Willy. A taller Luis Scola. Methodical plodder, up and unders, lefty and righty hooks and tip ins.

Definitely not a runner, stretch 4, or athletic bounder by any means. A half court grinder type.

He's a hammer. Those annoying players that out work you inside. Can't jump and isn't fast but has a double double and a block or 2 before the game is done... and your lower back is sore, shoulders, arms and legs are sore from wrestling this guy.

Yes we need a point guard and a scorer, but we need enforcers and garbage pail players too.

He reminds me of Enes Kanter too

Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
fishmike
Member: #298
USA
5/25/2016  1:41 PM
funny... for a guy his age he has a very solid skill set. He played the 5 and KP played the 4. Willy is the grinder and a big body. His game actually looks a lot like a more fluid Robin Lopez with more range on the jumper. Lunch pale guy with a very nice skill set. Good court awareness also
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
Finestrg
Member: #1069

5/25/2016  2:18 PM
EnySpree wrote:
ChuckBuck wrote:I think Jackson nailed it with his preliminary assessment of Willy. A taller Luis Scola. Methodical plodder, up and unders, lefty and righty hooks and tip ins.

He's a hammer. Those annoying players that out work you inside. Can't jump and isn't fast but has a double double and a block or 2 before the game is done... and your lower back is sore, shoulders, arms and legs are sore from wrestling this guy.

Yes we need a point guard and a scorer, but we need enforcers and garbage pail players too.

He reminds me of Enes Kanter too

I'm hoping for a real reliable post scorer--someone we can go to down low and expect results. Solid work on the boards would be a big plus too.

knicks1248
Member: #582
5/25/2016  2:31 PM
blkexec wrote:He's the type of roll player that works in a triangle system. You don't need a guy who thinks he's a starter. You need players that are comfortable in their role. Phil had a team full of these types of players in Chicago and LA. Don't worry about them.....its the star players that will make a difference. Who will step up and give that 3rd legit starter next to KP and Melo?

Derozan?
Batum?

no more triangle
ES
nixluva
Member: #758
USA
5/25/2016  2:49 PM
This video shows his full court speed at the 2:55 mark and unfortunately you have to go to Youtube to see it, but it shows Willy can move that big body at a good speed.

crzymdups
Member: #671
USA
5/25/2016  3:03 PM    LAST EDITED: 5/25/2016  3:03 PM
fishmike wrote:funny... for a guy his age he has a very solid skill set. He played the 5 and KP played the 4. Willy is the grinder and a big body. His game actually looks a lot like a more fluid Robin Lopez with more range on the jumper. Lunch pale guy with a very nice skill set. Good court awareness also

I agree on the Rolo comparison - at least on offense. Very similar moves, but Willy is far younger (it took Rolo six years in the league to develop his skillset) and seems more fluid. I've heard some scouts compare him to Scola on offense, which would not be a bad thing at all.

I'm curious to see him on D in the summer league. We never got even the slightest hint about how good KP would be until we saw him defend in the summer league. That wasn't in any of the scouting reports. If he's got heart and plays hard, I'm prepared for him to be a decent defender. Not a shot blocker with his frame, but I think the rest could be a surprise. He did win a championship over there with KP, right?

¿ △ ?
How does Willy G get up[ and down the court?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy