[ IMAGES: Images OFF turn on | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

salary structure and affect on the fan
Author Thread
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
8/1/2004  3:02 PM
most fans are oblivious to the *cost* of what some of the big market teams pay out in salaries and luxury taxes. these teams are able to absorb higher payrolls because of access to larger fan bases and cable TV rights. Fans who own watch these games pay a fee in their bill which goes directly to the Knicks/Rangers[CVC] or Yankees{YES} no matter what system cable/satelite or provider[CVC TW Comcast etc..}-- you are paying a fee for every game televised which increases the revenue streams to the teams. What has happened--and I will use the Knicks as example--is that the free spending habits of this team and it's concurrent run-up of luxury taxes forces the company to raise premiums to providers. This is the mAIN cause of what actually increases your cable bill from time to time. But like anything in the world--there is a limit and a bottom line. When TW pulled the plug on MSG--you can thank all of the personell decisions made by MSG ownership and management. Their failure to impose a reasonable payroll--a payroll that is in line with what the average NBA team pays out--has now had the consequence of those chanells being terminated on Time -Warner and those customers being shut out from Knick/Ranger/Mets programming. So for those who think that a business plan of trading massive ending contracts to take on excessive extra slaries driving up cost structure--you better have CVC Cable Systems or you might just be watching the cooking channel where MSG used to be on your cable system.
RIP Crushalot😞
AUTOADVERT
simrud
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #474
USA
8/1/2004  3:16 PM
Get NBA League pass with a Knicks package and relax. If you truly think player salaries affect the MSG bottom line by much you are not looking at the whole picture. The revenue they collect from 20 games covers the entire payroll. Why do you tink the cap exists. So rich teams can't just keep buying players out of the smaller markets and teams theretically cam compete with fewer resources.
A glimmer of hope maybe?!?
mintyfreshness33
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #586
USA
8/1/2004  3:23 PM
man, they took my msg, fox sports and metro. now im stuck watching the nets next season.
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
8/1/2004  3:32 PM
That's great news. That means they just have to raise the viewing price a little to continue pulling off more Marbury type trades. We're only one or two Marbury type trades away from being a title conteder if everyone stays reasonably healthy

[Edited by - Bonn1997 on 08/01/2004 15:34:40]
BRIGGS
8/1/2004  4:28 PM
no, just the opposite ---MSG just lost 40+mm $ a year. it will severely restrict them financially.
RIP Crushalot😞
simrud
USA
8/1/2004  4:41 PM
Where do you get your info, pleae post a link.

Also, they are running a business. If it really hurt them they would not do what they do. You are also the one who raves about how everything they do is for the money. Now you are just contradicting yourself and sayin what they do at MSG is bad financially.
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
8/1/2004  4:55 PM
Fans pay. In some form or another.

Its not an endless pit. I have said this over and over.

Bonn1997
USA
8/1/2004  6:16 PM
Posted by simrud:

Where do you get your info, pleae post a link.
He posts whatever he thinks people don't want to hear. He doesn't have to actually have a source; he just has to figure out what fans want and then he claims that he's found out that the opposite is true.
simrud
USA
8/1/2004  6:59 PM
Of course fans pay, what else is new. I'm willin to pay an extra buck a month to see a better team though.
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
8/1/2004  7:36 PM
cablevision lost a fortune. The Knicks revenue was down but it was still revenue. That franchise is cash cow. Dont confuse MSG w/ Cablvisions problems.

FYI: Knick franchise is worth $401M, 2nd overall (Source: Forbes, 2004). Only the Lakers are worth more at $447M.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
BRIGGS
8/1/2004  8:09 PM
you don't understand Cablevision derives revenues from MSG--the Knicks are the primary content of the station. When you lose a contract of 1.5mm subscribers paying 2.00 a month--not including associated revenues--thats a HUGE bite out of the company's bottom line. That revenue helps pay the enormous costs associated with the Knicks present salary structure. Your cable bill goes up primarily because of rights fees associated with pro sports networks and escalating salaries in those sports. It's all synergistic-it's all connected. TW finally said FU Im not paying and instead cut customer cost and dropped the programming.
RIP Crushalot😞
Bonn1997
USA
8/1/2004  8:11 PM
Who cares Briggs? Are you going bankrupt because of cable bills or something?
kam77
Alba Posts: 25
Member: #634
8/1/2004  8:24 PM
Yes, Cablevision derives income from the MSG network and from MSG itself. So what? Do you think that's all they've got going for them??

MSG has many cable networks, ones they own, ones they broadcast for a few. They make advertising revenue on every single station, not just MSG. If anything, small businesses can complain about the rising cost of advertising on cable. But if you think Cablevision relies on MSG revenue you are being naive. Cablevision has so much more. Optonline, optimum TV, optimum VOICE, all the ticket revenue at MSG for non-basketball related acts etc.. etc..
lol @ being BANNED by Martin since 11/07/10 (for asking if Mr. Earl had a point). Really, Martin? C'mon. This is the internet. I've seen much worse on this site. By Earl himself. Drop the hypocrisy.
BRIGGS
8/1/2004  9:03 PM
no you dont get it--it's pretty simple

Time warner has 1.5 mm paying customers who pay around 2 $ in their cable bill that goes directly to CVC in a contract that pays for the broadcast rights to MSG. That cash is used directly to pay costs associated with MSG--primarily the huge cost of players salaries from the Knicks and Rangers. What Cablevision owns seprately is not an issue here. they dont want to take money from peter to pay paul. they use these huge dollars from the cable companies[including their own] to pay these salaries out. When you take a 40+mm$ hit like that, that is BIG on the bottom line. If they can't make a deal going forward with TW-there will have to be a major cost reduction somewhere and that likely starts with the Rangers since they are so-called rebuilding.

this is a known fact--cable sports programming i.e ESPN TNT MSG FOXetc... is the primary reason why cable bills keep increasing and that is due directly to increasing player salary costs. Time Warner finnally came to a bottom line and said we cant increase this anymore because we are not staying competitive.
RIP Crushalot😞
simrud
USA
8/1/2004  9:12 PM
No, you just don't get it. If that is the case, just buy NBA League pass with a Knicks package. As far as cable bill increasing by a dollar or two a month, I don't care. I'm willing to pay that to see a better team. 24 dollars more a year for a competitive team? I spend more then that to keep the beer supply running in the dorm. Its nothing. If you are going to grumble over 24 dollars a year then feel free. And if you are going to keep talking accounting with us, then go find a link, do some research of some sort, and come back with real life numbers to back up your money talk. I'm tired of reading you referring to this and that w/out any data. You can spin numbers any way you like if the data is not presented properly. So please just do that, cause we all got your point about how picking an additional 10-20 mil will take Knicks of the air. Repeating it 20 billion times is not going to make it true.
Bonn1997
USA
8/1/2004  10:16 PM
As far as cable bill increasing by a dollar or two a month, I don't care. I'm willing to pay that to see a better team.
So am I. In fact, if they were explicitly asking for fan donations this summer to help pay for Crawford, I'd give some of my money.

[Edited by - Bonn1997 on 08/01/2004 22:18:11]
RonRon
Member: #246
8/2/2004  5:34 AM
No, you just don't get it. If that is the case, just buy NBA League pass with a Knicks package. As far as cable bill increasing by a dollar or two a month, I don't care. I'm willing to pay that to see a better team. 24 dollars more a year for a competitive team? I spend more then that to keep the beer supply running in the dorm. Its nothing. If you are going to grumble over 24 dollars a year then feel free. And if you are going to keep talking accounting with us, then go find a link, do some research of some sort, and come back with real life numbers to back up your money talk. I'm tired of reading you referring to this and that w/out any data. You can spin numbers any way you like if the data is not presented properly. So please just do that, cause we all got your point about how picking an additional 10-20 mil will take Knicks of the air. Repeating it 20 billion times is not going to make it true.

hey, im a direct tv user and is there actually a way in which u can get the nba league pass with the knicks if ur in new york? Are u from new york too? the league pass blocks out local networks and im in new york soo....
CTKnicksfan
Member: #572
8/2/2004  9:06 AM
http://www.nypost.com/sports/28423.htm

August 2, 2004 -- Once again, a dispute with Cablevision has resulted in the removal of valued sports programming from a competing local cable system. As of yesterday, MSG/FSN has been dropped from Time-Warner's two million households.
But could it be that Cablevision, the original Evil Empire, has, at long last, something of a legit position?

The deal Cablevision sought with T-W would provide a slight increase for MSG/FSN programming, yet would cost T-W less than what it pays for YES.

MSG/FSN may be down inventory with the loss of the Yanks and Nets, but it still has the Mets, Knicks, Liberty, Rangers, Islanders, Devils, MetroStars and lots of college sports. YES has just the Yanks, Nets and some college stuff.

Then again, Cablevision has long hollered that sports are so expensive that it must pass the cost to subscribers. But the loss of such programming is never reflected in monthly subscriber fees. And Cablevision, which owns the Garden, doesn't pay rights fees for the Knicks and Rangers.

In fact, this latest cable dispute might have been averted had an Attorney General's office, a couple of years ago, asked Cablevision to explain why, upon the loss of wildly expensive Yankee rights, it gave back pennies to subscribers for what it had charged dollars. Phil Mushnick

The best point this article makes and relevant to the discussion is that TW customers aren't going to see any reduction in their bills as a result of NOT carrying MSG/FSN. It's ok to cut programming if it becomes too expensive, that's a legit business decision but to charge the same rates as previous for a lesser programming package is unfair. I'm a Comcast customer here in CT, so I didn't miss out on YES that first year they had the dispute, but CVC had so many defections to Direct TV that they were forced back to the negotiating table and basically had to accept the deal the Yankees were offering, $2/subscriber. I hope the same fate awaits TW in their attempt to be cheap with their customers. But, do the Knicks/Rangers fan bases with TW have the clout that Yankees fans had w cablevision? Not likely.
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
8/2/2004  9:24 AM
Sure some of yo will pay, but your not the majority. Not even close.

This month I will drop my HBO. Screw them for the garbage they put on. And, I would slice and dice more if I could for the cooking channel and other crap.

I reactivated my Netflix which should serve our viewing needs.

Im not in the tri-state area so maybe I will get a NBA pass this year. If the team puts out a good enough product to warrent my taste. Yeah, the knicks are a product.
BRIGGS
8/2/2004  9:54 AM
it's very easy to understand what im saying. if CVC contained salaries for their pro sport teams--even to a reasonable high amount compared to other teams-lets use the Knicks as example--if the Knicks contained their players salaries to a cap limit of 65 [which would still leave them as a top 3 payroll] Cablevision would save 60 MILLION dollars a year just on the Knicks. It is proven between the Knicks and the Trailblazers that a high payroll doesnt guarantee even a good team. When you are not indiscriminantly spending--you wont have contracts like Andersen or for that fact you would be paying H2) 12 mm instead of 20mm etc... CVC --by driving up their own costs starts a viscious cycle which ultimately hurts the fan. Any reasonable fiscal restraint would temper the problem. If they had a reasonable payroll for the Knicks and Rangers, they could afford to stablize fees.
Going forward the Knicks need to diversify how they obtain talent and let some ending contracts run dry instead of flipping them.
RIP Crushalot😞
salary structure and affect on the fan

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy