[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

seems like carter isnt that interested in coming to ny...
Author Thread
timmyTtop
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #680
7/31/2004  11:31 AM
Sat, July 31, 2004

Vince speaks, but says little

CARTER'S FUTURE WITH THE RAPTORS STILL UNCLEAR

By STEVE BUFFERY, TORONTO SUN

CCM Montreal Canadiens Svoboda Hockey Jersey S
Price C $13.24

VINCE CARTER would make a wonderful politician. He already has mastered the art of talking without actually saying anything.

Facing the media for the first time since rumours surfaced this summer that he wants out of Toronto, Carter insisted that he wants to stay. Which is well and good, except that he would not unequivocally deny that he, or a representative of his, has asked for a trade out of Raptorland.

"Everything's fine," Carter said last night, prior to his annual Charity All-Star Game at the Air Canada Centre. "I'm not worried about any of that, just let things fall where they may."

Raptors GM Rob Babcock was asked afterwards if Carter has asked for a trade.

"No," he replied.

"Has his agent asked you to make a deal?"

"Well, I'm not going to comment on that," Babcock said.

You don't have to be a literature major to read between the lines in that statement.

It's all very strange. Both Carter and Babcock expressed their mutual respect for each other and Carter seems genuinely intrigued about playing for first-year head coach Sam Mitchell. But something still seems to be amiss.

Babcock suggested that Carter is somewhat shell-shocked about all the changes to the organization -- a new GM, new coaching staff, new front office.

"I'm brand new, Sam's brand new. We're all brand new. All the players are a little emotional," Babcock said. "This is the third new head coach in three years. You can't expect the players to just jump up and down for joy and accept his with open arms. We have to earn that respect.

"All we're asking for is an opportunity to do that and come in and be professional and I'm completely convinced that Vince will do that," he added.

Meanwhile, trade rumours yesterday had Carter being shipped to Seattle for Ray Allen. There also was a report that Carter wants to be traded to the New York Knicks and that the Raptors would accept star point guard Stephon Marbury in the deal. Those rumours were shot down.

Carter, who recently returned from his honeymoon, said that he has put much less stock in all the trade rumours than the fans and media, and has been concentrating on making sure his camps and his charity game were a success. For the first time in four years, however, the game wasn't a sellout, drawing 16,217 fans.

"The hardest thing, if you've ever put anything together with NBA players, is making sure they show up," he said. "That has been the biggest passion, the biggest worry for me.

"Other than that, I'm happy. Everything's fine. I'm just one of those people who just let the chips fall where they may."

AUTOADVERT
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
7/31/2004  2:52 PM
It's hard to know where Vince wants to be. We'll just hace to wait and see
KNICKSdom
Alba Posts: 8
Member: #545
USA
7/31/2004  7:08 PM
He is not coming to NY.
Knicks are happening and have a Unicorn.
Bonn1997
USA
7/31/2004  7:15 PM
That's a good joke; I love it when fans think they KNOW what will happen. It's amusing
BigSm00th
Member: #178
USA
7/31/2004  7:48 PM
Well what do you think the Knicks would give up for him?

Toronto needs a star there or it will go under, the only star the Knicks have is Stephon Marbury. Marbury's not going to be traded.

Using logic you can predict the future.

If the Team A needs a certain type of player, and Team B can't provide that player, why would they make a deal?

Now would Toronto trade Carter for Sweetney, Williams, TThomas, and a first rounder? MAYBE, but that's a horrible deal for the Knicks.

To have Carter, Penny, and Houston (all max contracts) playing the 2/3 could (and probably would, being that we are talking about the Knicks) be a disaster. Carter's had MAJOR injury problems, Houston was a shell of himself last year, and Penny hit the decline long ago due to injuries. You're going to trade two of your younger pieces, a first rounder so you can have FOUR MAX CONTRACTS!!!!!!!!!! playing point guard, shooting guard, backup shooting guard, and small forward???? This is insanity, at some point the spending must stop.

Not to mention there has never ONCE been a quote from Vince saying he wants to be a Knick. What there have been are quotes FROM VINCE, not unnammed "sources", that he dislikes Lenny Wilkens, who happens to coach the Knicks.

Taking ALL of that into account, I think it's safe to say he PROBABLY won't be a Knick any time soon.
#Knickstaps
Bonn1997
USA
7/31/2004  8:19 PM
Posted by BigSm00th:

Taking ALL of that into account, I think it's safe to say he PROBABLY won't be a Knick any time soon.
When you throw in an enormous qualifier like probably (in all caps) in an entirely different, more plausible statement
timmyTtop
Member: #680
7/31/2004  9:36 PM
[b]
If the Team A needs a certain type of player, and Team B can't provide that player, why would they make a deal?

bc carter may not come to training camp, may be sitting out with an "injury", underperform, etc, basically do what it takes to get bobschlong's attention that he wants out, and he wants out now. GM's have a history of sending their players to where they want to be traded, especially if their stars. ie: shaq, tmac, starbury. besides, tim thomas, frank williams, and kurt thomas for carter and alvin williams, aint bad.. is it?
BigSm00th
Member: #178
USA
8/1/2004  1:33 AM
"hen you throw in an enormous qualifier like probably (in all caps) in an entirely different, more plausible statement" I'm assuming since that's the only thing you had to say about my entire post, you're probably agreeing with me.
#Knickstaps
seems like carter isnt that interested in coming to ny...

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy