[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Phil Jax does make good decisions.......
Author Thread
HofstraBBall
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #6192

5/8/2016  4:51 PM    LAST EDITED: 5/8/2016  4:52 PM
Nalod wrote:
ChuckBuck wrote:Probably the lone highlight of Jackson's regime so far is hiring Clarence Gaines Jr in the summer of 2014.

Is that "nepotism"? Or part of the process of decision making. Bring in people you know, trust and admire?
He hired Kerr.
He did not panic and starphuck. Instead he tore it down making us endure a 17 win season. We had a top 4 pick and no other way to get a cornerstone player than to go that route.
He resigned Melo, who is either a 22p scorer or trade chip asset.
He Trade Tyson. Sorry, the guy was toast. So was Felton. If you think he could have done better prove it. If you hoped he could have done better he might even agree with "hope".

Nothing any GM does is always perfect. This roster was crap and we didn't even have our pick. Who else should run this place and why would he have done better??

Overall decent moves. Although you take away KP playing as he did in first half of year and your left with even more criticism. Does stink seeing Shump and JR close to sweeping the Hawks and playing major minutes. I know we were not getting anything for them at the time but would have been nice to let them play into some kind of value. Or until Cleveland offered something for them. Anything. Just don't see many teams giving up former sixth man award winners and young talented stop defenders for nothing.

'Knicks focus should be on players that have grown up playing soccer or cricket' - Triplethreat 8/28/2020
AUTOADVERT
mreinman
Member: #3189

5/8/2016  4:53 PM
HofstraBBall wrote:
Nalod wrote:
ChuckBuck wrote:Probably the lone highlight of Jackson's regime so far is hiring Clarence Gaines Jr in the summer of 2014.

Is that "nepotism"? Or part of the process of decision making. Bring in people you know, trust and admire?
He hired Kerr.
He did not panic and starphuck. Instead he tore it down making us endure a 17 win season. We had a top 4 pick and no other way to get a cornerstone player than to go that route.
He Trade Tyson. Sorry, the guy was toast. So was Felton. If you think he could have done better prove it. If you hoped he could have done better he might even agree with "hope".

Nothing any GM does is always perfect. This roster was crap and we didn't even have our pick. Who else should run this place and why would he have done better??

Overall decent moves. Although you take away KP playing as he did in first half of year and your left with even more criticism. Does stink seeing Shump and JR close to sweeping the Hawks and playing major minutes. I know we were not getting anything for them at the time but would have been nice to let them play into some kind of value. Or until Cleveland offered something for them. Anything. Just don't see many teams giving up former sith man and young talented stop defenders for nothing.

it seems like we sold low across the board. Phil wanted to play it slow but he should have started selling right when he came in while there was still some value. Its not always best to be slow and deliberate.

so here is what phil is thinking ....
CrushAlot
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #452
USA
5/8/2016  5:19 PM
HofstraBBall wrote:
Nalod wrote:

He hired Kerr.

Overall decent moves. Although you take away KP playing as he did in first half of year and your left with even more criticism. Does stink seeing Shump and JR close to sweeping the Hawks and playing major minutes. I know we were not getting anything for them at the time but would have been nice to let them play into some kind of value. Or until Cleveland offered something for them. Anything. Just don't see many teams giving up former sixth man award winners and young talented stop defenders for nothing.

JR was ridiculous his last full year in NY. Shump wasn't great. I don't know if JR ever grows up if he stayed in nyc. Also, I don't know if either was buying into Fisher's coaching. After they were moved Lance and Lou were praised for picking up the triangle so quickly and changing the character of the team.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
newyorker4ever
Member: #5816

5/8/2016  5:39 PM
mreinman wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:
Nalod wrote:

He hired Kerr.

Overall decent moves. Although you take away KP playing as he did in first half of year and your left with even more criticism. Does stink seeing Shump and JR close to sweeping the Hawks and playing major minutes. I know we were not getting anything for them at the time but would have been nice to let them play into some kind of value. Or until Cleveland offered something for them. Anything. Just don't see many teams giving up former sith man and young talented stop defenders for nothing.

it seems like we sold low across the board. Phil wanted to play it slow but he should have started selling right when he came in while there was still some value. Its not always best to be slow and deliberate.

JR Smith never had value when he was in New York cause he was a tool bag the whole time with us and EVERYONE from us fans to every writer/media guy was saying we would never be able to get anyone to take on JR and his contract so we gave up Shump for Clev to take him and we weren't gonna re-sign Shump after the season anyway so it was a good deal to get rid of him and i'll take L.Thomas and the future 2nd round picks over JR and Shump all day long. So lets not act like the JR trade was a bad trade now that you see JR not being a tool bag like he was in New York.

EwingsGlass
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #893
USA
5/8/2016  5:56 PM
ChuckBuck wrote:
Nalod wrote:

He hired Kerr.

I'm complimenting on his only good move as an exec, what's your gripe? Without Gaines whispering sweet nothings into Phil's ear on draft night, we don't have our Latvian messiah. He shyt showed everything else pretty much though.

Hiring Rambis will be the death of many a Knick fans loyalty.

It took balls to pick the Euro-stretch. Gaines gets credit for identifying, but the buck stops with Phil. If Krispy tanks, Phil wears the NY Post headline on his forehead for years in a Layden-sequel tribute. Me, I would have punted and taken Justise Winslow. Seems like I was less right than Phil.

Phil should take a swing at signing KD. Probably doesn't sign him. Then we can start our offseason. If we don't sign KD, Melo needs to thing about his ring chase and whether NY's rebuild can take place on his dime. That Lakers rumor sounds Marvelous.

This is the Randle.
fwk00
Member: #6048

5/8/2016  6:05 PM
MS wrote:I don't know how anyone in their right mind could defend the Tyson and Felton trade.

RoLo has no place in the conversation.

Phil said he was clearing salary in this trade which was completely false. Chandler had an all star season for the Mavs when we moved him. Felton by no means is a great point guard, however he does one thing we really needed and that's penetrate.

Your argument that Joses salary is on par with the player he is happens to be a joke. He is making 7.7MM this season. A number we didn't need on our cap. He makes more than Isiah Thomas, Jeremy Lin, Shaun Livingston and a number of guards that dominate him every time we play them.

That trade will cost us a second max contract.

So Phil has made two good decisions to date, KP and to a lesser extent Lopez.

The Tyson and Felton trade had a logic to it that had nothing to do with talent exchange or potential. It had everything to do with Dallas being the only buyer. Buying what?

Cuban answers to no one so he wasn't concerned with Felton's gun charges nor Chandler's discontent with NY. It is delusional to think Felton remaining in NY with the media on his tail would "thrive" or "penetrate". He was carrion for the sports press - not a cancer but an open festering wound. The last thing Phil needed to change the culture.

As for Chandler, his on the court behavior was out of control - idiotic. His team attitude was worse. Phil got what he could get - take it or leave it.

EwingsGlass
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #893
USA
5/8/2016  6:07 PM
fwk00 wrote:
MS wrote:I don't know how anyone in their right mind could defend the Tyson and Felton trade.

Phil said he was clearing salary in this trade which was completely false. Chandler had an all star season for the Mavs when we moved him. Felton by no means is a great point guard, however he does one thing we really needed and that's penetrate.

Your argument that Joses salary is on par with the player he is happens to be a joke. He is making 7.7MM this season. A number we didn't need on our cap. He makes more than Isiah Thomas, Jeremy Lin, Shaun Livingston and a number of guards that dominate him every time we play them.

The Tyson and Felton trade had a logic to it that had nothing to do with talent exchange or potential. It had everything to do with Dallas being the only buyer. Buying what?

Cuban answers to no one so he wasn't concerned with Felton's gun charges nor Chandler's discontent with NY. It is delusional to think Felton remaining in NY with the media on his tail would "thrive" or "penetrate". He was carrion for the sports press - not a cancer but an open festering wound. The last thing Phil needed to change the culture.

As for Chandler, his on the court behavior was out of control - idiotic. His team attitude was worse. Phil got what he could get - take it or leave it.

Same argument applies to Fisher. Gotta keep your nose clean in NY.

This is the Randle.
fwk00

5/8/2016  6:15 PM
EwingsGlass wrote:
fwk00 wrote:

Absolutely. The same logic applies to the Shump/JR trade. They were not buying in to the system - advertising it with attitude and indifference - their alternative play sucked (and I liked them both). Given the new sheriff in town, their situation was self-inflicted stupidity. And, this taught Melo some respect for the organization. He should have been riding herd on both of them.

I think, Early, will be gone because innocent as he may have been in the shooting incident, nobody gets shot if they're tending to business.

nixluva
Member: #758
USA
5/8/2016  6:28 PM
fwk00 wrote:
EwingsGlass wrote:
fwk00 wrote:

Absolutely. The same logic applies to the Shump/JR trade. They were not buying in to the system - advertising it with attitude and indifference - their alternative play sucked (and I liked them both). Given the new sheriff in town, their situation was self-inflicted stupidity. And, this taught Melo some respect for the organization. He should have been riding herd on both of them.

I think, Early, will be gone because innocent as he may have been in the shooting incident, nobody gets shot if they're tending to business.

Well innocent people get shot every day! I can't fault Early for being young and making poor judgments. It will no doubt change his thinking from now on.

HofstraBBall
Member: #6192

5/8/2016  6:28 PM
CrushAlot wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:
Nalod wrote:

He hired Kerr.

JR was ridiculous his last full year in NY. Shump wasn't great. I don't know if JR ever grows up if he stayed in nyc. Also, I don't know if either was buying into Fisher's coaching. After they were moved Lance and Lou were praised for picking up the triangle so quickly and changing the character of the team.

Not disagreeing with move to get them to another situation. Nor that they had negatives. But again, no player has zero value. It's okay to say they were playing bad or you didn't like JR'S maturity. But lets not pretend there was zero value there. Specially, when as mentioned, Cleveland saw them as future pieces. Think Phil was the experienced coach in that situation but not the experienced GM that exploited possible value. But like I said, overall good moves. Just tough to see zero value guys making up 2 out 5 major players on the Cavs.

'Knicks focus should be on players that have grown up playing soccer or cricket' - Triplethreat 8/28/2020
fwk00

5/8/2016  9:52 PM
nixluva wrote:
fwk00 wrote:
EwingsGlass wrote:
fwk00 wrote:

Well innocent people get shot every day! I can't fault Early for being young and making poor judgments. It will no doubt change his thinking from now on.

All I'm saying is that its the kind of thing that makes players vulnerable in NYC. Nothing else.

mreinman
Member: #3189

5/8/2016  9:55 PM
newyorker4ever wrote:
mreinman wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:
Nalod wrote:

He hired Kerr.

JR Smith never had value when he was in New York cause he was a tool bag the whole time with us and EVERYONE from us fans to every writer/media guy was saying we would never be able to get anyone to take on JR and his contract so we gave up Shump for Clev to take him and we weren't gonna re-sign Shump after the season anyway so it was a good deal to get rid of him and i'll take L.Thomas and the future 2nd round picks over JR and Shump all day long. So lets not act like the JR trade was a bad trade now that you see JR not being a tool bag like he was in New York.

JR was a toolbag here but perhaps Phil could have worked with him/them. Not be like Woody and allow him to do whatever JR wanna do.

JR just may not be capable of working in NY but even if we all agreed with it then, its still looks shaky now.

Lance Thomas is a FA so we may have nothing from him. 2nd round picks are ok but almost always fail.

The main issue that I have was not trading Chandler and probably Melo right away. He could have gotten a ton for them. Look what Cleveland gave up for Mozgov.

Phil is obviously a really smart guy but unfortunately, he is not a young guy who has time to make all these mistakes and reboots.

He has to put up this year and there are absolutely no excuses. He will have that chance.

so here is what phil is thinking ....
Chandler
Member: #6197

5/9/2016  7:54 AM
Many fair points made above. There may be another factor at play as well

Parcels and reeves used to have "high profile" cuts every year. There's some addition by subtraction

Also it sends a message to the rest of the team. No one wants to be the that guy who was dumped. No one!

(5)(5)
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
5/9/2016  9:47 AM
JR was as a knick was a partying dude who was the clown prince on the floor with his antics. Under pressure, he also caved with untimely Techs, elbows, etc.
IN Cleve he is surrounded by far superior players than he was in NY.
No one ever questioned his talent, its his value that one can. Fact is, we as fans don't know the offers. In hindsight, it looks like we gave him away. WE did. But what was the alternatives?
Nalod
USA
5/9/2016  9:54 AM
Regarding Rambis.

Friends, favors and frivolity. Bottom line is Rambis qualified for what Phil wants a coach to do?

If you look at his Minny record, nope. There was a 37-24 record in the strike shortend sesason as Laker coach. Jerry Buss wanted Big name starphuch so he got Phil Jax.

http://nypost.com/2016/05/08/is-phil-jackson-gifting-rambis-job-as-payback-from-1999/
Question is, while there are good choices out there, is Kurt a good choice at this time and place? Can Rambis do what Joe Torre did years ago? Come in with a lousey record and make good?

Blatt, Vogel and Jorger are all talented guys but they just got Fired. All were playoff teams!!!
I like these guys and in typical world this is how you go. But Phil is not typical nor is what he is trying to do at all the popular path.

Nalod
USA
5/9/2016  10:02 AM
Good decision:

Paying Shump 10mil a year. Is he worth it? Perhaps to Cleveland who is way over the cap but seriously contending.
Phil moved them to contenders and they got paid. Not a dick move btw, and one that agents like to tell players that "Knicks don't screw over their guys when able".

newyorker4ever

5/9/2016  11:13 AM
mreinman wrote:
newyorker4ever wrote:
mreinman wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:
Nalod wrote:

He hired Kerr.

JR was a toolbag here but perhaps Phil could have worked with him/them. Not be like Woody and allow him to do whatever JR wanna do.

JR just may not be capable of working in NY but even if we all agreed with it then, its still looks shaky now.

Lance Thomas is a FA so we may have nothing from him. 2nd round picks are ok but almost always fail.

The main issue that I have was not trading Chandler and probably Melo right away. He could have gotten a ton for them. Look what Cleveland gave up for Mozgov.

Phil is obviously a really smart guy but unfortunately, he is not a young guy who has time to make all these mistakes and reboots.

He has to put up this year and there are absolutely no excuses. He will have that chance.

We got all we could for JR and Tyson at that time and keeping them just would of kept them being the same people they were when they were with us. Tyson wanted out of New York and no team but Dallas wanted to take him and his contract on so he got all he could for him and the same with JR. Phil came in with the plan of rebuilding this team and to do that he needed to get rid of every bad contract we had so he did that with getting rid of Tyson, JR and Bargnani and he also needed to get rid of every player that wasn't good for the team in the locker room because he wanted to build a team that played basketball as a team and weren't causing any distractions that would take away from the team and those 3 were a part of that especially JR.

newyorker4ever

5/9/2016  11:17 AM
Nalod wrote:JR was as a knick was a partying dude who was the clown prince on the floor with his antics. Under pressure, he also caved with untimely Techs, elbows, etc.
IN Cleve he is surrounded by far superior players than he was in NY.
No one ever questioned his talent, its his value that one can. Fact is, we as fans don't know the offers. In hindsight, it looks like we gave him away. WE did. But what was the alternatives?

Good points. People act like Phil didn't talk with every team that was even a little interested in any of those guys and that he didn't get the absolute best deal he could at that time. It was very clear at the time that trading them was gonna be an almost impossible thing to do so he got what he could and they all needed to go.

newyorker4ever

5/9/2016  11:21 AM
Nalod wrote:Good decision:

Paying Shump 10mil a year. Is he worth it? Perhaps to Cleveland who is way over the cap but seriously contending.
Phil moved them to contenders and they got paid. Not a dick move btw, and one that agents like to tell players that "Knicks don't screw over their guys when able".

The Cavs would be just as good without JR and Shump because they have Lebron.....oh and they have Kyrie and Love as well. Lebron took some teams with much less talent around him to the NBA finals in his 1st go around with the Cavs.

Nalod
USA
5/9/2016  11:28 AM
newyorker4ever wrote:
Nalod wrote:Good decision:

The Cavs would be just as good without JR and Shump because they have Lebron.....oh and they have Kyrie and Love as well. Lebron took some teams with much less talent around him to the NBA finals in his 1st go around with the Cavs.

Could be. JR and Shump were very key in the playoffs last year. Shump will be needed for his defense. JR makes them very deep.
Last year with no Love and NO Irving they got thin. LIke I said, those two played very well. This year, they are not needed as much.

Phil Jax does make good decisions.......

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy