[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Harvey Araton Article: Good for Porzingis? Then Carmelo Anthony Is Good for the Knicks (Jeff Van Gundy Interview in there)
Author Thread
mreinman
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #3189

4/28/2016  6:36 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/29/sports/basketball/kristaps-porzingis-carmelo-anthony-new-york-knicks.html

Jeff Van Gundy was speaking in his characteristically outspoken role as a television commentator, not as a reported candidate for the remaining N.B.A. head coaching vacancies, excluding the one in New York. He was in no way endorsing Phil Jackson as an accomplished Knicks president or Carmelo Anthony as a championship-level franchise player.

He was merely explaining why Jackson and Anthony need each other more than people think, and why those — perhaps Anthony and Jackson — wishing for the philosophically rickety partnership to conclude may want to consider the potential consequences.

“First of all, the problem with step-by-step analysis is that it obscures the bigger picture,” Van Gundy said in a telephone interview. “So I don’t care that much what you say about Phil’s decisions to trade for Jose Calderon or sign Arron Afflalo — so far, he got the biggest one right.”

He referred to Jackson’s drafting of Kristaps Porzingis — “the kid has the mental makeup to be a huge star,” Van Gundy raved — when Jackson might have succumbed to external pressure to trade down in the draft to secure a veteran player along with a lower pick last June.

With the focus on Jackson’s coaching hire — the choice is seemingly down to the holdover interim Kurt Rambis or the recently interviewed and more preferable (we’ll get to why) David Blatt — Van Gundy contended that the most pressing Knicks issue is how to best develop Porzingis, the highly skilled 7-foot-3 skyscraper, the most exciting homegrown foundational talent since Patrick Ewing.

Van Gundy — fondly remembered from his coaching days in New York during the Ewing era — makes a compelling case for a fan base and news media divided or dithering on continuing with Anthony about why the Knicks shouldn’t necessarily oblige their best player even if he decides to waive his no-trade clause.

Starting over, going total rebuild around Porzingis with the hope of attracting another star in the summer of 2017 or beyond, has sounded tempting for those (myself included) fatigued by the constant yammering about Anthony’s window to win as he approaches his 32nd birthday in May.

Continue reading the main story
RELATED COVERAGE

Knicks Exit, as Phil Jackson Addresses What’s Next APRIL 14, 2016
What, exactly, is the realistic view from that window? Within two years, the fourth or fifth playoff seeding in the Eastern Conference? Barring an unlikely 2016 superstar free-agent signing, while assuming some roster upgrade with available salary cap space, the lower playoff echelon or a rise to its contending fringe would be the most realistic Knicks objective for next season.

But here is where Van Gundy maintained that Anthony’s continued presence would be invaluable for that modest ambition.

One never knows what might transpire — Blake Griffin could be on the trade market soon after another Los Angeles Clippers playoff disaster. But with limited locations available based on Anthony’s leverage, trading him may not land anything close to commensurate returns, especially factoring in two-season salary cap hits of about $29 million and $31 million, including a $9 million trade kicker the new team would be responsible for.

Worse, perhaps, would be the environment Anthony would leave behind, the crux of Van Gundy’s case.

“You talk about starting over, developing a young team around Porzingis, but one of the things that’s always overlooked about player development is playing meaningful games,” he said. “Even if you don’t make the playoffs, what’s essential for guys like Porzingis is to be playing in games that count, instead of just playing out a season like they did this year.”

Exhibit A — albeit a worst-case scenario — would be Jahlil Okafor’s rookie misadventures in Philadelphia this season without a veteran performer to lean on. Anthony was a surprisingly soft pillar and one the amiable Porzingis seemed to genuinely enjoy playing with.

“Whatever you think about the triangle, it is a pass-first offense, and Carmelo, I think, influenced Porzingis well,” Van Gundy said. “I also think that Porzingis, because of the unselfish way he plays, influenced Carmelo well.”

Photo

In their first year together, Porzingis, right, and Carmelo Anthony were good for each other. Credit Julie Jacobson/Associated Press
You always begin with Anthony’s obvious pleasure of being the brand-name basketball star of Madison Square Garden when asking why he would stay if Jackson fares comparably in the coming free-agent market as he did last summer and with no real assurance of high-stakes postseason games anytime soon.

Then there is Porzingis, who, of course, could plateau for a season or two before reaching the threshold of stardom. But with Anthony embracing a more versatile approach as his body lectures him on the limits of restorative nightly prowess, Porzingis could also be an exception to developmental rule, Anthony’s co-star by next season.

Given his attachment to the Garden, Anthony should also consider the Knicks’ last franchise player who lobbied his way out. That was Ewing in 2000, though he was much older (37) and had a far longer (15 years) and more successful run than Anthony has had.

Van Gundy, as head coach, lived through that ordeal and said everyone involved lived to regret Ewing’s departure to Seattle.

“I was just talking to Patrick in Charlotte about it and he admits he never should have gone,” Van Gundy said. “I know we would have wanted a do-over. He would have been a free agent the next season, freeing up cap space, and then we never did replace the character Patrick brought every night.”

The upshot for Ewing: Other than having his jersey retired, he never did find his way back to the franchise to which he gave so much.

So let’s assume for the moment that Anthony remains tethered to Porzingis and Jackson manages to upgrade the Knicks’ backcourt and overall athleticism, making them a playoff contender.

Wouldn’t Blatt, a winner wherever in the world he has coached, including Cleveland, be a more prudent choice than run-of-the-mill Rambis?

Sports Newsletter
Get the big sports news, highlights and analysis from Times journalists, with distinctive takes on games and some behind-the-scenes surprises, delivered to your inbox every week.

Speculation abounds that Jackson met with Blatt as a smoke screen, while still being all in on his buddy Rambis. But the internationally accomplished Blatt might actually appeal to Jackson’s longtime deference to being, you know, different.

Going with Blatt would dispel the belief that Jackson is too insular, trapped in his own inner triangle. It would add a defensive-minded coach to the mix while presumptively retaining Rambis as the associate and experienced chieftain of the offense.

Finally, it would be something of a New York-centered public relations coup — an American-born, Israeli-relocated Jewish head coach who played college ball at Princeton with Knicks General Manager Steve Mills. There at least would be a front-office partnership in place if Jackson exercises his option to leave after next season.

Anthony probably wouldn’t get a hearty endorsement of Blatt from his good friend LeBron James or some others in Cleveland, where Blatt’s reluctance to play the grateful rookie head coach did not serve him well.

WRITE A COMMENT
Too bad. Anthony has a hammer in his no-trade clause. The Knicks have leverage in not having to accommodate him. Anthony may want to remember there are very few places to maximize his championship ring chances — and how many of those teams would need or want him?

In the final analysis, Anthony’s New York-loving heart may be more prudent than his head. And if Porzingis needs Anthony, so do the Knicks. That at least is the argument from Van Gundy, commentator and former coach. In the convoluted world of the Knicks, we never mind a little clarity.

so here is what phil is thinking ....
AUTOADVERT
Paris907
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #6099
USA
4/29/2016  6:35 AM
Good article but Anythinys knees and shooting deterioration are real. Go young go and get what you can. KP will get over it quickly enough. Knick fans would take a younger peaking DeRozen now. I concur.
crzymdups
Member: #671
USA
4/29/2016  10:40 AM
Paris907 wrote:Good article but Anythinys knees and shooting deterioration are real. Go young go and get what you can. KP will get over it quickly enough. Knick fans would take a younger peaking DeRozen now. I concur.

Melo has a no trade clause by the way.

¿ △ ?
crzymdups
USA
4/29/2016  10:42 AM
This is a good article. I've been saying all year that Melo's presence helps KP. As does playing meaningful games.

Hopefully that can happen in spite of Rambis.

¿ △ ?
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
4/29/2016  2:20 PM
crzymdups wrote:This is a good article. I've been saying all year that Melo's presence helps KP. As does playing meaningful games.

Is that how its going to be? Anything positive is in spite of Rambis? Its impossible that this guy could actually do a good job with the support and backing of the front office, Phil Jackson and a more talented roster?
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
jrodmc
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #805
USA
4/29/2016  2:24 PM
crzymdups wrote:
Paris907 wrote:Good article but Anythinys knees and shooting deterioration are real. Go young go and get what you can. KP will get over it quickly enough. Knick fans would take a younger peaking DeRozen now. I concur.

Melo has a no trade clause by the way.

You know, I think I've heard that before. I wonder if it's just a rumor.

jrodmc
USA
4/29/2016  2:27 PM
Learn from history, or repeat it.
Then there is Porzingis, who, of course, could plateau for a season or two before reaching the threshold of stardom. But with Anthony embracing a more versatile approach as his body lectures him on the limits of restorative nightly prowess, Porzingis could also be an exception to developmental rule, Anthony’s co-star by next season.
Given his attachment to the Garden, Anthony should also consider the Knicks’ last franchise player who lobbied his way out. That was Ewing in 2000, though he was much older (37) and had a far longer (15 years) and more successful run than Anthony has had.
Van Gundy, as head coach, lived through that ordeal and said everyone involved lived to regret Ewing’s departure to Seattle.
“I was just talking to Patrick in Charlotte about it and he admits he never should have gone,” Van Gundy said. “I know we would have wanted a do-over. He would have been a free agent the next season, freeing up cap space, and then we never did replace the character Patrick brought every night.”
The upshot for Ewing: Other than having his jersey retired, he never did find his way back to the franchise to which he gave so much.

PP's out there chasing rings. How's that working out for him?

ChuckBuck
Alba Posts: 11
Member: #3806
USA
4/29/2016  2:34 PM
jrodmc wrote:Learn from history, or repeat it.

Paul Pierce, 2008 NBA Champion and Finals MVP. I'd say he's doing pretty good right now.

jrodmc
USA
4/29/2016  2:43 PM
ChuckBuck wrote:

Paul Pierce, 2008 NBA Champion and Finals MVP. I'd say he's doing pretty good right now.

Funny how that has absolutely nothing to do with Paul Pierce, bit player with the Brooklyn nets, Washington Wizards, LA Clips, ....

Hate affects your reading comprehension, doesn't it?

ChuckBuck
Alba Posts: 11
Member: #3806
USA
4/29/2016  2:46 PM
jrodmc wrote:
ChuckBuck wrote:

Funny how that has absolutely nothing to do with Paul Pierce, bit player with the Brooklyn nets, Washington Wizards, LA Clips, ....

When you got a ring in the bank, you can do pretty much as you please. Hall pass for life. How many does Melo have again?

crzymdups
USA
4/29/2016  2:47 PM
fishmike wrote:
crzymdups wrote:This is a good article. I've been saying all year that Melo's presence helps KP. As does playing meaningful games.

Is that how its going to be? Anything positive is in spite of Rambis? Its impossible that this guy could actually do a good job with the support and backing of the front office, Phil Jackson and a more talented roster?

Is there a great coach you can think of that started out with three absolutely miserable seasons and eventually developed a winning record to become a great coach? Larry Brown, Pat Riley, Phil Jackson, Tom Thibodeau, Jeff Van Gundy all hit the ground running at well over .600 winning percentages in their first season.

I get that talent and roster is part of it... but usually if a guy is gonna be a good coach, he shows it a little bit. Doc Rivers dragged a terribly mediocre and injured Magic team to 42-40 and made the playoffs his first year.

Rambis is not just underwhelming, he was universally reviled in Minnesota. The players hated him, they hated the way he taught the Triangle, he posted the worst head coaching record of all time, etc. He came here and pissed off Afflalo, didn't exactly win over Melo.

Have you heard a SINGLE Knicks player say anything really positive about him? Or even refer to him by name? Isn't that weird? Seriously, I'm not trying to make this up - the players don't seem to like him, he's never done a good job coaching anywhere... why are we giving him the inside track to one of the biggest coaching jobs in the NBA?

¿ △ ?
jrodmc
USA
5/2/2016  9:52 AM
ChuckBuck wrote:
jrodmc wrote:
ChuckBuck wrote:

When you got a ring in the bank, you can do pretty much as you please. Hall pass for life. How many does Melo have again?

That's how it works? Just manage to be part of the very first starphucque collusion trade and you get a hall pass for life? Got it.

Harvey Araton Article: Good for Porzingis? Then Carmelo Anthony Is Good for the Knicks (Jeff Van Gundy Interview in there)

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy