[ IMAGES: Images OFF turn on | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

How healthy will Allan Houston be this season?

Author Poll
PresIke
Member: #33
USA
Will Allan Houston be ready to contribute this year? The local papers' stories contradict themselves...No one seems to have an answer... Will anyone know until training camp begins...?? So during these dog-days of summer, let's have a little fun...
Af course, Allah..whoops, I mean Allan will play all 82 games while leading the Knicks in scoring.
He'll play every game, but Lenny will limit his minutes to around 25-30 minutes. Expect 15-18 ppg.
I see him sitting out 10-15 games but will do score at least 18 ppg when on the floor.
Not really, he'll miss 10-15 games, and will be inconsistent due to his injury, 15 ppg
Naw, he's not even gonna be ready for the reg season, joining the team in Dec/Jan if lucky. ppg unknown
He**'s no we should have known he was the next coming of "Wince" Carter and "Cotton" Camby! When is his contract over again?!
View Results

Author Thread
codeunknown
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #704
8/2/2004  11:51 AM
The last time Houston was on the court, he was still appreciably offensively effective despite whatever pain in his knee. Since then, he hasn't sustained any new injuries besides the sore ego from the ramming hes been taking from media and fans. He'll occasionally do a couple of hardcore leg raises and flex in the mirror to make sure he's still got it, but he'll spend most of his days re-reading the first 3 pages of Genesis and asking Rick Fox for modelling advice. The only mild game action he's sleep-walked into was the idle play-by-play chit chat of that Radio City WNBA gig.

And, you know what, thats exactly what he should be doing. His knee will definitely be well rested and he should remain a clutch scorer as long as he plays more reasonable minutes and shoots up on anti-inflammatory during post-game.
Sh-t in the popcorn to go with sh-t on the court. Its a theme show like Medieval times.
AUTOADVERT
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
8/2/2004  11:58 AM
Posted by Allanfan20:

Dude, that's a Post article.

Yeah, but the author isn't offering opinions; he's QUOTING Houston.

All I need to know is that he said he'll be ready by training camp. We have to take his word for it.
You can take his word for it. I start to notice a pattern when every month he says he'll be ready for contact next month. If we took his word for it, he would have been fully recovered nine months ago. (And then eight months ago if we took his word for it a month later.)
codeunknown
8/2/2004  12:45 PM
Last time I checked, Allan Houston wasn't a doctor. Naturally, basketball players rend to underestimate recovery time.
Sh-t in the popcorn to go with sh-t on the court. Its a theme show like Medieval times.
Bonn1997
USA
8/2/2004  1:14 PM
Posted by codeunknown:

Last time I checked, Allan Houston wasn't a doctor. Naturally, basketball players rend to underestimate recovery time.
Last summer, he underestimated by at least 12 months since he's still not able to play full contact basketball. I wonder how many months he underestimated by this time.
Bonn1997
USA
8/2/2004  1:31 PM
Well here's a list of NBA players who have had microfracture knee surgery like Houston. One thing they have in common is that their careers are either done or if they're playing now, they're about half the player they used to be.

Penny Hardaway (he was the first to have it)
Jamal Mashburn
Allan Houston
Chris Webber

[Edited by - Bonn1997 on 08/02/2004 13:34:22]
codeunknown
8/2/2004  1:41 PM
Posted by Bonn1997:

Last summer, he underestimated by at least 12 months since he's still not able to play full contact basketball. I wonder how many months he underestimated by this time.

Its absurdly distorted to suggest that his estimation was off by 12 months. If he'd let it heal instead of rushing it the first time (to save Layden's lottery team), the recovery time wouldn't have been 12 months and counting. His underestimation caused a moronic decision to play which resulted in stressing unhealed cartilage tissue and causing overcompensation in his left knee. His estimation was off target, but only by about a month, the time it would have taken to heal after the original surgery. Instead, he caused additional injuries which will take longer to heal. Obviously, the recovery time estimation for the additional injuries will be different.
codeunknown
8/2/2004  1:44 PM
Houston came back from microfracture surgery last season. Ane he was putting up big numbers before he played too many minutes on a healing knee and had to sit out.
crzymdups
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #671
USA
8/2/2004  11:54 PM
Does this remind anyone of the days when people used to crucify Ewing for being injured and 'done'? I'll wait and see with Allan and I hope he can make it back. His contract isn't his fault people.
¿ △ ?
Bonn1997
USA
8/2/2004  11:58 PM
Posted by crzymdups:

Does this remind anyone of the days when people used to crucify Ewing for being injured and 'done'? I'll wait and see with Allan and I hope he can make it back. His contract isn't his fault people.
I don't blame him for his contract. But no NBA player has ever come back from microfracture surgery to be even half the player they used to be
Allanfan20
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #542
USA
8/3/2004  1:26 AM
Dude, you're not listening. He could have been just the player he was, the year before, if he wasn't rammed into the ground, at the beginning of the season. He was literally carrying the team, while your boy, Keith Van Horn was sucking big time (That Spree for KVH trade STILL made us worse, IMHO.) Nobody else on the team was performing. It's b/c we had no talent (Besides the at the time, useless KVH) other than Allan Houston, averaging a whopping 38 minutes a game. If Layden Layden hadn't been such a stupid GM, maybe we wouldn't be having this convo. But now, nobodys jobs are on the line. Allan is easing into things, b/c now he has more talent along his side. Their best player appears to be his biggest supporter (Or maybe I am) and the fans and media, as always, continue to have the minds of wildabeast. This is basically the same exact situation as last year. Just a change of scenery, so we could play it differently.
“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
Bonn1997
USA
8/3/2004  1:39 AM
I am listening (even when you digress to irrelevant topics, like Van Horn, who is not my boy--I supported the TT trade). You're right; Houston had a few good games early in the season. I'm not surprised. The issue is not whether he can have a few good games; it's whether he can be the first NBA player ever to return from microfracture surgery to be even 50% of his former self (not for a few games like last year but for a full season).
codeunknown
8/3/2004  1:54 AM
Posted by Bonn1997:

I am listening (even when you digress to irrelevant topics, like Van Horn, who is not my boy--I supported the TT trade). You're right; Houston had a few good games early in the season. I'm not surprised. The issue is not whether he can have a few good games; it's whether he can be the first NBA player ever to return from microfracture surgery to be even 50% of his former self (not for a few games like last year but for a full season).

I know that the surgery didn't take away from his ability - he proved it with his early games last year. The key was the recurring pain which meant he shouldn't have played at all at the beginning of last year. There shouldn't be any other physical limitation once adequate rest is given. Bonn, you're right that we shouldn't delude ourselves into thinking he's going to come back and definitely be the same player. All Im trying to say is that the likelihood is more than you might expect, considering there was no additional sudden injury.
How healthy will Allan Houston be this season?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy