[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

What about Zo?
Author Thread
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
7/30/2004  2:16 PM
Alonzo Mourning has stated to the Nets that he'd like to attempt a comeback again this year, but the Nets have told him that his services are no longer necessary, & would rather have his contract come off the books if he retired instead...knowing the type of proud player Zo was, i don't think there's any chance he would retire that way unless he decided to do so himself.

so how about the Knicks trade Othella & Trybanski for Zo & 1 of their future 1st round picks?

yes it's a risk, but the Knicks are capped out regardless if they take on Zo's contract or not, & the 1st round pick would be the key to that deal for me, & would replace the 1 that Isiah gave up in the Stephon Marbury trade.

you just know Zo would love to be a Knick & follow in his mentor's footsteps, & he would be able to be close to his treatment center as well for his kidney ailment...& the Nets would be assured of being freed of his contract from their payroll.

then you make the Crawford trade & give CHI Deke instead of Moochie like they want.

if Zo's comeback were successful, you would have a pretty nice team that, IF HEALTHY, would very closely resemble some of the good ol' teams of years past & could take on a nice character of their own next season:

C - Zo / Nazr / Baker
PF - KT / Sweetney
SF - TT / Penny / DerMarr
SG - Houston / Crawford
PG - Marbury / Moochie
IR - Ariza / Barrett

& if Zo's comeback weren't successful, then what do you really lose? 1 ending contract, but you've gained a future 1st round pick...it's a gamble i'd be willing to take.

thoughts?
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
AUTOADVERT
CTKnicksfan
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #572
7/30/2004  2:58 PM
I'd be wary of giving up trade assets for a guy who may never play again. Othella's deal will have some value as a throw in for any potenital Craw, Damp, Walker or Carter deals.

With the Nets pinching pennies as they have been, maybe Moochie + 3mm for Zo could work. Nets owe Zo 17 mm over the next 3 years. They would owe Mooch 5 mm over 2 years (8 mm salary of which we would pay 3). That's a 12 mm savings for Ratner.

If, however, every other trade proposal falls through, or we can make a deal with just Deke's expiring deal this summer and still have harrington around as training camp approcahes, they'd have to consider it. Othella has requested a trade and probably will get his wish. Who knows, it may work. Even Zo at 25-30% effectivness is better than Nazr. Worst case he ends up on IR.

TMS
USA
7/30/2004  3:00 PM
fair points...if they could do the deal using Moochie & cash, then all the better...but i highly doubt you'd be able to get a 1st round pick out of it also, which was what made me like my original idea better.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
7/30/2004  3:12 PM
I wouldn't give up any assets to get him. One option is to approach him and tell him that I am willing to sign him for the LLE if he works with NJ to have his contract bought out (and if the doctors think he can play). I don't think any other team would give him more than the LLE

[Edited by - Bonn1997 on 07/30/2004 15:12:32]
timmyTtop
Member: #680
7/30/2004  4:43 PM
don't give up any assets to get zo, that is not the direction zeke wants to take. he doesnt want old and injury prone players. also, u'd want zo to come back to nj, that way they'd have to pay him about a dozen mil in his last 2 yrs, which would tighten them up even more with the cap issue.
TMS
USA
8/2/2004  10:48 AM
the whole point was to trade expiring deals to get the 1st round pick we lost in the Marbury deal...if Zo worked out well, that's a bonus, but i'd be willing to take on his contract to get the pick.

btw, alot of you were crazy about the idea of trading KT for Malik Rose & a 1st rounder...how is that a better deal than this one?
raven
Member: #316
Canada
8/2/2004  10:49 AM
malik can play (at least a bit). So can only play in charity games. grats to zo to try again and show us his will, that guy was really tough.
TMS
USA
8/2/2004  11:09 AM
KT is a better player than Othella or Trybanski...in both deals, the 1st round pick is what makes the deal for me...whatever you got from the players you're taking on is a bonus as far as i'm concerned...but whatever.
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
8/2/2004  3:09 PM
Bring back ewing, keep deek, and bring in Zo!

Get John Thompson to coach.

raven
Member: #316
Canada
8/3/2004  6:00 AM
Posted by Nalod:

Bring back ewing, keep deek, and bring in Zo!

Get John Thompson to coach.

Yeah, cheers for the New York wheels !
What about Zo?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy