[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Trading draft picks
Author Thread
firefly
Alba Posts: 17
Member: #721
United Kingdom
7/30/2004  5:39 AM
The Nets just traded a 9mm contract for a second-rounder.

Can a team just trade any size contract for any draft pick? I mean, the Nets just got rid of about 25mm of salary in about five minutes. Must be a record for a team breakdown. But if that works, and H2O gets healthy, we could just trade him to any team for a few first rounders, and we find ourselves without the biggest financial burden we have. (then get rid of Shandon for an unprotected 2037 2nd rounder!! LOL) Does that work. Sorry, just dont know the trade rules for picks.

2. Because the Nets just traded 2 players for draft ppicks, that means that they have a trade exception of approx. 25mm. Do they have to use that all this off-season? Again, could we do the same thing?
Some men see things as they are and ask why. I dream things that never were and ask why not?
AUTOADVERT
RonRon
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #246
7/30/2004  6:19 AM
so can this lead to a shareef and ratliff deal for th exception. where portland can use a big exemption to land dampier and possibly another fa
firefly
United Kingdom
7/30/2004  6:36 AM
Why would Portland want to get rid of ratliff for Dampier? Both are mainly defensive C's and Theo has more heart, more blocking ability, without Dampiers money-grabbing rep.
Some men see things as they are and ask why. I dream things that never were and ask why not?
firefly
United Kingdom
7/30/2004  6:42 AM
Sorry, but i would take theo over Damps any day. I know he doesnt score as many points as damps, but hes a better defensive C IMO. The nearest thing to Big Ben, without being Big Ben.
raven
Member: #316
Canada
7/30/2004  7:29 AM
Posted by firefly:

Can a team just trade any size contract for any draft pick?

2. Because the Nets just traded 2 players for draft ppicks, that means that they have a trade exception of approx. 25mm. Do they have to use that all this off-season? Again, could we do the same thing?

1. no. you can only trade inthat way if you send the player to a team that is under the cap enough to absorb its salary. Otherwise, you have to get equal value in return. I don't see any team commit to houston's salary, even proven healthy. He's not the kind of player to build around, but more of a missing piece for his outside shooting.

2. they'll be able to use it till season ends, only on trades, trade exceptions can't be used on free agents.
RonRon
Member: #246
7/30/2004  4:12 PM
well, im just trying to understand how the trade exempt works and thought of scenerios with rumors that have been happening to make it work...
Trading draft picks

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy