Alba Posts: 6
Member: #511
USA
7/30/2004  4:05 AM
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/knicks/story/217107p-186848c.html

Vince zeroes in on joining Knicks

BY FRANK ISOLA
DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

The mere thought of Vince Carter wearing a Knicks uniform once seemed as far-fetched as Shaquille O'Neal ending up in Miami.

But in today's NBA, where the league's most dominant player can be traded without the Miami Heat having to give up its best player, anything is possible, including Carter ending up in New York.

Despite the declaration Wednesday from Toronto general manager Rob Babcock that Carter will return next season, a person close to the Raptors' All-Star swingman insists that Carter is trying to force a trade to New York.

Carter has refused to comment on his future for the past few weeks, but that could change tomorrow night following Carter's annual charity all-star game in Toronto. According to the source, Carter is expected to announce publicly that he wants to be traded.

Carter's agent, Mark Steinberg, did not return phone calls yesterday. Knicks president Isiah Thomas, attending a team function in New Jersey, refused to comment on the Carter rumors.

In Babcock's most recent meeting with his franchise player, the first-year GM came away convinced that Carter was committed to playing for the Raptors next season.

"I don't see a problem; we're on the same page as far as him playing on our basketball team, I feel very comfortable about that," Babcock told The Toronto Sun. "I see him coming to camp and I don't see him being distracted by anything."

However, the same source said that the Raptors have explored the possibility of moving Carter and talked about shipping him to the Sonics for Ray Allen. Carter, however, has no interest in moving to Seattle and is following the lead of both O'Neal and Tracy McGrady by requesting a trade to the team of his choice.

The one significant difference is that O'Neal and McGrady had more leverage because they were entering the final year of their contracts. Carter still has four years remaining on his deal. O'Neal and McGrady dictated the terms of their removal from Los Angeles and Orlando. respectively, in the past month.

The real challenge would be coming up with an attractive package for Carter, the leading vote-getter among All-Stars last season. Toronto would consider Stephon Marbury, but Thomas, the original head of basketball operations for the expansion Raptors, wants to hold on to his point guard. Thomas is also reluctant to trade Tim Thomas.

Carter is still regarded as an elite player, but the Knicks have to hope that he still has as much clout as O'Neal and McGrady to force Toronto's hand.

"The last thing Toronto wants is for things to turn ugly," the source said. "Vince likes New York; he has a relationship with Isiah and he wants to play there."

Originally published on July 30, 2004

AUTOADVERT
raven
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #316
Canada
7/30/2004  5:21 AM
wow. Holding on TT instead of doing everything to get carter ?
Seems weird.
raven
Canada
7/30/2004  5:21 AM
btw thx for the article.
technomaster
Member: #426
USA
7/30/2004  8:50 AM
wow... are the ****'s a result of an automatic filter, or did you do that yourself? :)

I think Carter would be fantastic for NY--- based on all-star game votes, he's got more star power than the entire Knicks team combined!

He managed to get through last season w/o any injury occurrences, so perhaps he's put the quad pulls behind him.

If Marbury isn't part of a deal... Toronto would really need to take Tim Thomas in a deal.
“That was two, two from the heart.” - John Starks
raven
Canada
7/30/2004  8:52 AM
Of course, but IT seems to want to keep TT.

That's what I find weird. It's like holding on ward when you have a chance to grab marbury.
VDesai
Alba Posts: 44
Member: #477
USA
7/30/2004  8:54 AM
I'd definitely give up TT....I'd go ahead and give up TT, KT and FW as the heart of the package. I'd also take on Alvin Williams deal. I'm sure most would...question is what is Toronto looking for. They could get 3 potential starters in that package (or at least 2 starters and 1 top backup). That's not really enough for a superstar though.
franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
7/30/2004  9:11 AM
if we are adding vince carter to the team, I'd imagine it would have some kind of impact on both our motivation and assets to get Crawford.
raven
Canada
7/30/2004  9:43 AM
TT, KT and FW maybe with a second rounder is not a so bad package even for vince carter. I mean basketball-wise. Talent-wise and financial-wise, trading carter for anything other than another superstar would be a disaster.
nyballer
Member: #108
USA
7/30/2004  10:01 AM
Posted by raven:

TT, KT and FW maybe with a second rounder is not a so bad package even for vince carter. I mean basketball-wise. Talent-wise and financial-wise, trading carter for anything other than another superstar would be a disaster.
how about
Knicks trade: Shandon, Deke, FWill, TT, Harrington, trybanski, 3mm
Knicks get: Carter, JYD, alvin williams, Montross

Toronto trades: Carter, Alvin Williams, Montross
Toronto gets FWill, TT, Crawford, Erob

Bulls trade: Crawford, Erob, JYD
Bulls get: shandon, deke, harrington, trybanski 3 mm

then we could maybe try to turn it into a 4-way deal where we send KT and Montross (expiring) to GS for Dampier and Eschmeyer. then we sign rodney white with the MLE

PG: Marbury, Alvin Williams
SG: Houston, White
SF: Carter, Penny, Ariza
PF: Nazr, Sweetney,JYD, Baker
C: Dampier, Nazr, Eschmeyer

it also opens up two more roster spots

i'm not sure the salaries will match up though, i dont know how to do sign and trades on realgm. toronto gets a real good deal IMO. TT, FWill and crawford. theyd have a lineup of:

PG: Alston, Fwill
SG: Crawford, Peterson
SF: TT, rose, Murray
PF: Bosh, Marshall
C: Arajuo, Moiso

2-5 is strong and williams could do well playin the point for that team in the future, and they could try to trade Rose for a point guard

knicks will be a force inside with a dampier/Nazr combo - they can put them both inside, and if houston is healthy well have probably the best 1-3 combo in the league, except for maybe nash-Q/joe johnson-marion

[Edited by - nyballer on 07/30/2004 10:05:14]
okay, adding up the salaries and with chicago getting frank and signing crawford to an 8mm per year deal, and toronto trading murray to us, chicago gives up a little more than 20 million dollars of salary and gets back about 21. toronto trades about 27 million dollars and gets back about 28, and ny trades about 33 and gets back 33, which is under 115%

[Edited by - nyballer on 07/30/2004 10:36:48]
"easy like sunday morning..." - walt clyde
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

7/30/2004  10:02 AM
I'd definitely give up TT....I'd go ahead and give up TT, KT and FW as the heart of the package. I'd also take on Alvin Williams deal. I'm sure most would...question is what is Toronto looking for. They could get 3 potential starters in that package (or at least 2 starters and 1 top backup). That's not really enough for a superstar though.

Not really....if Toronto can get better overal they would be fine without a superstar so to speak.

They could have Bosh, TT, the Brazilian kid, Rafer, and Mo Pete.....Not bad for a team that is still young. What good would Ray Allen or Rahim do for them as far as wins and loses?

Vince is just a marketing thing for Toronto that's why he wants out....Vince wants to get a taste of playoff basketball again...on a good team. Toronto should help him out just as other teams have done in the past....just as long as they can still remain compeditive.

[Edited by - enyspree on 07/30/2004 10:05:11]
Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
DefAndReb
Member: #336
7/30/2004  10:27 AM
That's just it, though. Vince would sell tickets in NYC, but he is:

1) Injury prone/losing his hops
2) A *ussy
3) Not a team leader
4) Afraid to take over games in playoffs
5) Lacking defensive intensity

But he would damn sure sell tickets. Dolan has to be intrigued. Also, I don't think Toronto would take TT for Carter. They would need someone marquee to replace him, and we only have Marbury. That TT talk is nonsense, unless Babschlong is that stupid.
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
7/30/2004  10:49 AM
Posted by DefAndReb:

They would need someone marquee to replace him, and we only have Marbury. That TT talk is nonsense, unless Babschlong is that stupid.

I am thisclose to editing the forum software to do a find and replace of Babcock to Babschlong before a post happens.
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
raven
Canada
7/30/2004  11:01 AM
Posted by DefAndReb:

1) Injury prone/losing his hops
2) A *ussy
3) Not a team leader
4) Afraid to take over games in playoffs
5) Lacking defensive intensity

You awfully right. But if we could get him for TT and KT and do it in a heartbeat.

[Edited by - raven on 07/30/2004 11:04:19]
Knicksfan
Alba Posts: 27
Member: #691
USA
7/30/2004  11:14 AM
He would definitely make our team more exciting, and the impact in the tickets sale would be great. Sellout streaks would be news again at the Garden. My only concern would be his health. Coming to NY he would be one of the most important pieces on the team and losing him, with Houston already shaky, would be very tough for a team that expects to be in the playoffs again in a better seed. If we end up trading KT then we would somehow have to bring more size to the team, and I'm not talking about Baker. More deals would have to happen to keep us competitive because we know how important is to have a good frontcourt.
Knicks_Fan
bernard
Member: #475
7/30/2004  11:42 AM
I don't want him. Half man, half amazing, half woman, imo.

Guy has never lived up to his talent and is on the downside of his career. Can anyone on this board imagine him being a key part of a championship team? It's not just that his style of play doesn't lend itself to a well-balanced, successful team (like Marbs, he needs the ball, but unlike Marbs, he won't give it back), he also doesn't care enough about winning. He's like Dominique without the heart.
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
7/30/2004  11:44 AM
Vince is NOT the kind of player I would want to be my franchise player, but as long as he can stay healthy, he is an awesome #2 man (after Stephon)
raven
Canada
7/30/2004  11:44 AM
you could even have said without the hops, since he's got a robotic leg now...
MaTT4281
Member: #538
USA
7/30/2004  12:03 PM
I really would need to see what the trade proposal is before I decide whether I would agree with a trade.
Rich
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #511
USA
7/30/2004  12:51 PM
The injury prone part is the only thing that would concern me. I would want a team of the best orthopedists to check him out, not the incompetent Dr. Scott.

On the positive side, if he was traded here, it could accelerate the firing of Coach Wilkens, who is doomed anyway, and is not the right coach for this team.

franco12
Member: #599
USA
7/30/2004  1:12 PM
he's been mentioned as possibly headed to Dallas- Why does Dallas want/need Vince Carter? They already have a good wing player in Finley- and Fin is probably a better outside shot.

And toronto doesn't need to get a superstar back- just talent- the team hasn't exactly been making the play offs with Vince on the court-

NY Daily News: Carter is trying to force a trade to New York

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy