[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

The Bulls/Knicks trade

Author Poll
Bonn1997
Member: #581
USA
If the issue becomes the deal-breaker, should Isiah replace Moochie with an Othella in the latest trade rumor?
Yes
No
View Results

Author Thread
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
USA
7/30/2004  11:36 AM
Michael Jordan was a pretty good player, so how come his ability as a talent evaluator was pretty questionable? Didn't MJ let a pretty good SG in Rip Hamilton go? Gee, I guess being a great player is a lot different than being a great executive and comparing the skill sets necessary to be either is like comparing apples to oranges.
You're going to cite one example to prove a generalization that great players are no better than casual fans at identifying skill sets? More evidence is needed if you want to make a compelling argument. (And even in that one example, the Wizards did get a very good player, and Jordan had no way of knowing that Stackhouse would get injured.)
AUTOADVERT
Bonn1997
USA
7/30/2004  2:26 PM
In addition, even if some great NBA players are not good at identifying young talent, Isiah has shown that he clearly IS. He drafted Camby, who has had a good career; Damon Stoudamire, who everyone thought was a mistake to take with a lottery pick bu he went on to average 20 and 9 in his three seasons as a Raptor PG; Tracy McGrady straight out of high school with a late lottery pick. With that track record, I'm comfortable knowing that he has spotted Jamal as a young player with a great skill set.
MS
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #724
7/30/2004  2:50 PM
Face facts with Isiah, he did a very sub-par job in Toronto, Stoudamire has been a very overated player, he had the number two pick in the draft that was filled with Kobe, Marbury, Allen, Shareef, and many others it was the best draft in history perhaps and he took Marcus....who i love and really would like on the Knicks, but he is often injured and has no offensive game outside of 8 feet.....McGrady was a nice choice, but then what happened in the CBA, it shut down after Isiah took control......The Norris deal was stupid, and he has added a ton of money.......Jordan did an awful Job, with the Wizards who should have hamilton and elton brand, instead they have Kwame Brown, Jefferies, and Jamison.....Chris Mullin is another player that is doing a terrible job, Foyle, Fisher lets be realistic.....Elgin Baylor let Andre Miller get away for nothing, let Lamar Odom and Q go for nothing, and let the Kandi man walk when he could have suckered teams into taking him.....GM's on a whole are pretty questionable
Bonn1997
USA
7/30/2004  8:07 PM
Camby's a good player, but he might not have neen a good pick at #2; I'll give you that.

However, Damon Stoudamire DID play great as a Raptor and was a good draft choice. (Isiah also picked the right time to trade him--right before his production declined.)

And T-Mac was a great pick at #9

So, that's two goog choices and one where he at least still got a good player. That's not bad considering how much of a crapshoot the draft is.

I don't know the relevance of the CBA stuff you're talking about because I don't see how the CBA is relevant to Isiah's ability to evaluate whether Jamal Crawford can be a good player

And for half the price, I'd rather have Norris than have Spoon playing behind 5 other PFs
jaydh
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #96
7/30/2004  8:13 PM
besides, no one was aware of kobes talent at that time...u really think the hornets would have traded him for vlade if they did?
BRIGGS
Member: #303
7/31/2004  2:39 AM
i like jamal crawford but it's a telling point when
A your own team doesnt really want you
B. All of these teams with masive cap room and even the MLE didnt spend it on jamal.

im certainly not going to cry if we overpay him a bit and use ending contracts, but I agree that he will have very little impact in the short term concerning w and Ls we are clearly behind Detroit Indiana Miami and as Lebron gets going-we'll be looking in their rear as well. Right now the BIGGEST the utmost NUMBER 1 factor is having Mike Sweetney translate his summer league prowless into the nBA with CONSISTENCY--he is more important than any of these names we here walker crawford etc.. heck in my book hes just as or more important than Marbury
RIP Crushalot😞
DefAndReb
Member: #336
7/31/2004  6:29 AM
Posted by Bonn1997:
Posted by DefAndReb:

Crawford has been a huge disappointment ever since coming into the league. On a bad team, he's had every opportunity to be a go-to guy or a team leader, and he has failed. Only take a guy like this if you're not paying him too much. JYD is over-the-hill, even though I like his energy, but he's not going to have much impact unless he's off the bench - another overpaid bench warmer. ERobb is done. He may as well be named Lee Nailon.

Remember, Shandon was hyped young, and now look what you get. That could be Crawford in two years, and with an unmovable contract. There is no way Isiah can turn this team into a contender this season, even taking on ludicrous contracts where the team operates at a lower profit margin, which defeats the purpose of running a sports business. So why break the bank on an iffy swing guard?

For every Chauncey Billups (a big dud until recently) there are ten Travis Knight's. How much are you willing to risk that Crawford will defy the odds and suddenly become a consistent player? Remember, talent is a great lie - it's consistency that counts.

Sure, we'd all love to dump Anderson, but how much better is Crawford? Oh, sure, he may have one or two great performances, but he needs to have 60-70 to be worth clearing out all our trading power. Think, man, think. Crawford will NOT bring this team a championship. He will only provide a modest improvement over last year's squad. How much is a modest improvement worth?
So you're basically saying your ability to evaluate whether a young PG/SG like Jamal has the skills and ability to succeed is better than the ability to reach that evaluation that legendary PGs like Isiah and Lenny have? That's quite a bold statement.

I'm saying he's good enough to be a backup, so he should get paid like a backup. To pay him like a starter when he couldn't even blow up on the worst team in the league? Not worth the risk.

Again, no one knows the future. It's like shooting craps. So, you look at the odds. The odds are not in Crawford's favor. He ain't Bobby Jackson.
Bonn1997
USA
7/31/2004  8:21 AM
He's 24 and has a tremendous skill set. How can you possibly say "the odds are not in his favor"? How can you possibly already know that he will not be good enough to be a starter?

[Edited by - Bonn1997 on 07/31/2004 08:23:00]
simrud
Member: #474
USA
7/31/2004  7:42 PM
You are right, Craw is not Bobby Jackson. He is better. Craw can be just as good or better then Bobby Jackson of the bench, or he can be a starter, something Jackson has never been. To say that Craw is not as good as Jackson is just not right. His skills are far better and he is much bigger.
A glimmer of hope maybe?!?
sebstar
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #249
USA
7/31/2004  8:28 PM
Michael Jordan was a pretty good player, so how come his ability as a talent evaluator was pretty questionable? Didn't MJ let a pretty good SG in Rip Hamilton go? Gee, I guess being a great player is a lot different than being a great executive

No, the Wizards organization is “pretty questionable.” Its not like he had the 1980's L.A Lakers to work with. The Wizards are a mess. They had just recently traded Ben Wallace, Chris Webber, and Rasheed for nothing!

The Rip for Stack deal wasn’t as lopsided as some made it out. Wasn’t a great trade, but it was more about Stack being injured, and Rip fitting in well on a team that had a great system. Jordan didn’t let a superstar walk. You think if Jordan would have had draft access to Yao Ming or Labron instead of Kwame, we would be having a different convo about Jordan’s GM aptitude? Not saying Jordan is Red Auerbach, but please just use common sense

The only reason his “bad job” was so exaggerated was because sportswriters were overanxious to put Jordan and basketball failure in the same sentence. He had a better shot at trying to end world hunger.
My saliva and spit can split thread into fiber and bits/ So trust me I'm as live as it gets. --Royce Da 5'9 + DJ Premier = Hip Hop Utopia
sebstar
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #249
USA
7/31/2004  8:46 PM
Crawford has been a huge disappointment ever since coming into the league.

*exaggeration alert*
On a bad team, he's had every opportunity to be a go-to guy or a team leader, and he has failed.

Go-to guy and team leader is not a sweeping statement you make about a guy who is only 23 years old. Those are the kind of attributes a player grows into (although there are exceptions to the rule). Regardless, the maturation process hasn’t been helped by playing on a disaster area known as the Chicago Bulls. What, he was supposed to turn them around all by himself?
Remember, Shandon was hyped young, and now look what you get. That could be Crawford in two years, and with an unmovable contract.

Comparing Shandon Anderson to Jamal Crawford I see. Well, that’s a stretch like Armstrong--- but I’ll indulge you. Jamal is a talented scorer with a potentially limitless offensive game who put up great numbers despite being immersed in a dysfunctional and rudderless organization.

Shandon was a hustle and energy player with an offensive game as pretty as George Muresan in drag. Shandon played with two hall of famers in a Sloan led system that is known for making mediocre players look average, average players look good, ext…
There is no way Isiah can turn this team into a contender this season, even taking on ludicrous contracts where the team operates at a lower profit margin, which defeats the purpose of running a sports business.

No way they can be a contender? Please.

What the Knicks are a mom and pop organization now? Worried about their profit margin? Enough of the Andy the Accountant stuff. Shoot, this fan base supported the knicks during the embarrassing Layden run. Its not as if the Jamal Crawford contract will be the difference between me affording courtside seats at a Knicks home game anytime soon. That’s a problem for that wanksta Dolan. I wouldn’t stay awake at night worrying about his ledger sheets.
For every Chauncey Billups (a big dud until recently) there are ten Travis Knight's. How much are you willing to risk that Crawford will defy the odds and suddenly become a consistent player?

So now we are evoking the name of Travis Knight? How fair and accurate. Crawford averaged 17 pts last year, its not a long shot to say he can build on that. This isn’t a Chris Childs situation. Evidence at this point suggests he easily has consistent All-Star level talent. His offensive game is far superior to that of Billups at their respective stages. “Defy the odds” is a bit strong.
Remember, talent is a great lie - it's consistency that counts.

Talent isn’t the great lie, the great lie is “she’s only a friend honey”. If talent is a liar, then Crawford is a regular ole George Bush, because he has me convinced he can become a perennial All-Star. He’s not far from that level now. Lamar Odom would be a better comparison.
“Sure, we'd all love to dump Anderson, but how much better is Crawford?… Think, man, think. Crawford will NOT bring this team a championship. He will only provide a modest improvement over last year's squad. How much is a modest improvement worth?”

Alright, lets cut the b.s. The only comparison between Shandon and Crawford is that both are Black and they urinate standing up. I don’t know why you keep pushing that. Would I rather have Kevin Garnett instead of Jamal? Of course, but Jamal is a nice young talent that can serve as a BUILDING BLOCK to a championship, not the final piece. In the coming years we will have other expiring contracts that can be turned into the final pieces that CAN BRING a championship. If you are willing to show some patience

My saliva and spit can split thread into fiber and bits/ So trust me I'm as live as it gets. --Royce Da 5'9 + DJ Premier = Hip Hop Utopia
timmyTtop
Member: #680
7/31/2004  10:00 PM
Alright, lets cut the b.s. The only comparison between Shandon and Crawford is that both are Black and they urinate standing up.

DefAndReb
8/1/2004  10:10 AM
Posted by simrud:

You are right, Craw is not Bobby Jackson. He is better. Craw can be just as good or better then Bobby Jackson of the bench, or he can be a starter, something Jackson has never been. To say that Craw is not as good as Jackson is just not right. His skills are far better and he is much bigger.

Not even close. Guys who blow up for 50 points once in a blue moon are not as valuable to a team as a guy who always plays defense, hustles for the ball, and makes big plays when it counts. Crawford isn't fit to tie Bobby's sneaks, because Bobby has the fire, and Crawford doesn't.

Typical of the young NBA fans, you guys think that scoring is the most important aspect of the game. It isn't. Jamal has no other strengths. He's not a great passer, defender, hustler, and he lacks a winning attitude, as evidenced by years of sucking in Chicago.

Again, you guys miss the point of my post, but I'm used to that. I'd take Crawford, and I would root for him to become an all-around great ballplayer, but I would not pay him a starter's salary just because Allan is a gimp and Crawford is young and "talented". Knicks are not winning a championship this season, with or without Crawford, so they shouldn't cut off their nose to spite their face. If we do get him, I'm behind him. I agree that he has potential, but you guys act like he's already proven himself. I think he sucks right now.
Alright, lets cut the b.s. The only comparison between Shandon and Crawford is that both are Black and they urinate standing up.

Both are inconsistent, lack passion, and play for losing teams. Yeah, they're totally different. Stats and highlight reels are meaningless to me; the only thing that matters is the number of W's. The Knicks need guys who want to win and play to win. Could Crawford become that guy? Sure. Like you guys said, he's still young enough to turn it around. He's definitely the best swing guard available on the block, and I'd love to see Shandon out of here, but if you overpay the guy and he plays the same as he plays in Chicago, Knicks got screwed with an overpaid scrub who no one wants, and it's no different to me than having Shandon still on the team.

The Knicks need a star player. Marbury is not all that. He's not a good PG in the true sense of the position. He's a very talented athlete, but he's not a good team leader, and teammates tend to dislike him. I'm not a fan of PG's who like to shoot the ball: Marbs, Francis, GP. Overspending for Crawford will not compensate for Marbury's weaknesses or Allan's lack of desire.

I have faith in Zeke not to pull Moochie from the deal. Don't bend for the Bulls, Isiah! Crawford is not our saviour, so don't give up too much! If Paxson won't take Moochie, then don't take Crawford, which is my point.

Bonn1997
USA
8/1/2004  10:34 AM
Posted by simrud:

Great points! Crawford is bigger and has so many skills. He's already a good scorer, good passer and playmaker, very good ball-handler, and still very young and rapidly improving.
BRIGGS
Member: #303
8/1/2004  10:36 AM
I've never been against a Crawford deal, I can think of things much worse i.e Antoine Walker and Malike Rose. I agree with you on some aspects---he doesnt compare to Bobby Jackson in terms of mental intensity, he hasnt made any of his teams even slightly better, no other team in the league wants to pay him

BUT here is the arguement for him. There is no doubt about 3 things
A We cannot acquire Jamal with the MLE-so we will have to pay more
B H2O is a gimp but the knicks have a huge payroll[want to win NOW} and cant afford to go into the season with andersen again[although he is no where near as bad as some people think--he needs another team]
C. While he is a selfish player with fundamental skill problems and questionable character I can think of someone similar before he went to Detroit Chauncey Billups

Ive come to grips that NY will just pay more for players. That being said if we do indeed give up what amounts to junk+FW for Crawford--anyway you look at it it's a smart deal. Personally I would go in a different direction but like I said we could do much worse. Im not going to be against any Crawford deal as long as the salary stays on average around 8mm
RIP Crushalot😞
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
8/1/2004  10:55 AM
the fact that people that criticize crawford forget is that he's still a developing player and he's not a superstar. maybe he can't step in and carry a team like iverson did but he's still young, athletic, and has exhibited the potential to become a really major player. he's been a talented player on a team comprised of players under the age of 24 and constantly lose. put him in a situation like the knicks where he can see how players like steph, h20, and kurt work (as well as sweets) along with isiah and lenny and he will grow into a better player b/c of it. so anyway you cut it, it's a good deal.

i also believe that if we don't get the deal done, we're still ok and we could possibly get a better player come february with those $10 mil in expiring deals.
Bonn1997
USA
8/1/2004  11:16 AM
Posted by djsunyc:

the fact that people that criticize crawford forget is that he's still a developing player and he's not a superstar. maybe he can't step in and carry a team like iverson did but he's still young, athletic, and has exhibited the potential to become a really major player. he's been a talented player on a team comprised of players under the age of 24 and constantly lose. put him in a situation like the knicks where he can see how players like steph, h20, and kurt work (as well as sweets) along with isiah and lenny and he will grow into a better player b/c of it. so anyway you cut it, it's a good deal.

i also believe that if we don't get the deal done, we're still ok
great points!
crzymdups
Member: #671
USA
8/1/2004  12:14 PM
Posted by Bonn1997:
Posted by djsunyc:

great points!

Agreed. The thing people have to realize is that if Jamal had proved himself, he wouldn't be available for all of our trash. It's a bit of a risk, but I trust Isiah's judgement and I like what I've seen from the kid.
¿ △ ?
Knicksfan
Alba Posts: 27
Member: #691
USA
8/1/2004  7:57 PM
Posted by Bonn1997:
Posted by djsunyc:

great points!

I agree. Good post.
Knicks_Fan
DefAndReb
8/1/2004  8:27 PM
Posted by crzymdups:
Posted by Bonn1997:
Posted by djsunyc:

great points!

Agreed. The thing people have to realize is that if Jamal had proved himself, he wouldn't be available for all of our trash. It's a bit of a risk, but I trust Isiah's judgement and I like what I've seen from the kid.

Exactly. He's a bit of a risk, as are all trades really, so Isiah shouldn't blow it by giving into Paxson's refusal to take on Moochie's contract. There seems to be this opinion that just because we would be unloading Shandon, we should do the deal because we get a young talented player for super scrub Anderson. It's easy to get caught up in the idea that Zeke should go for it, no matter what, and that if the deal doesn't happen because of the Moohcie thing, then it's a fault on Zeke's part.

I said this already, but I do hope the Knicks can get the kid and that he blows up big for them. Given he is not very consistent after four years in the league, on a team where he gets tons of playing time, there is a strong chance he will not get much better. Remember, Jermaine O'Neal was a young risk for Indy, but he wasn't getting play time. Once he got it, he took off. Crawford has already seen lots of time, and has not really shown much except a knack for scoring, which I deem insufficient for what the Knicks need. Maybe this is the Chicago coaching, or the atmosphere on the team there, but it is a real concern.

I agree with Briggs that we have to give him more than the MLE, as I don't think it's unreasonable, but let's not paint him as a solution to the Knicks' major problems, which are defense and overall hustle and intensity. Because of that, and this is being on topic to the thread, please Isiah do NOT take Crawford without dumping Moochie.

Don't forget that we are also taking on JYD (long in the tooth) and Erobb (finished being useful - I really think he's done). It isn't as simple as Shandon for Crawford.
The Bulls/Knicks trade

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy