[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Nets trade Kittles to the Clips for 2nd rounder!
Author Thread
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
7/29/2004  4:32 PM
I dont think Pho wants expiring deals at this point, they want a core player and thats a bigman. They have Nash, QRich, JJ and Amare in place. The just need a center... so far attempts to trade Eisley for Jermaine Oneil have not yielded results.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
AUTOADVERT
crzymdups
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #671
USA
7/29/2004  4:35 PM
The Nets did get a $10.2 million trade exception, but they have to send a player in any trade. But it does help them trade Kidd to oh say, Dallas for Antoine Walker, Harris and Josh Howard or something.
¿ △ ?
crzymdups
USA
7/29/2004  4:36 PM
on the Marion tip: I don't think they trade him until the time comes to max out Amare.

Right now, what's to stop them from going small at times and featuring the hottest offense in the league?

Also, they do have a Lampe who is coming along nicely.

I don't think they'll just give Matrix away though. If they could get a Sheed type, maybe.
¿ △ ?
s3231
Member: #544
USA
7/29/2004  4:56 PM
This whole Nets offseason has just been ridiculous. That's why I'm not suprised that they traded Kittles for a 2nd rounder. If I was the GM and I had to shed money, I never would have gotten rid of K-Mart. Honestly, I would've traded Kidd to a team like Dallas for expiring contracts like Antoine Walker and I would've tried to also get Devin Harris in return. That would leave the Nets with a lineup of

Devin Harris
Richard Jefferson
Antoine Walker
Kenyon Martin
Kristic

then you can let Antoine walk at the end of the year and save a ton of money while also staying competitive for this year and next year. You don't even have to keep Antoine, you could just trade him at the deadline to a contender for some nice young talent. That would've been the right way to do it. Giving up a young stud like Kenyon when he isn't even in his prime yet is just stupid. It would've made a lot more sense to build around two young guys like Jefferson and K-Mart.
"This is a very cautious situation that we're in. You have to be conservative in terms of using your assets and using them wisely. We're building for the future." - Zeke (I guess not protecting a first round pick is being conservative)
fishmike
Member: #298
USA
7/29/2004  4:56 PM
where did you read about a trade exception? They dont get a trade exception... I dont think there is such a thing. The only cap exceptions are if an expansion team drafts one of your players or the injury exception you can apply for.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
s3231
USA
7/29/2004  5:02 PM
Oh well... at least we have a better shot at landing Dampier now that the Suns won't be able to sign him. It looks like it is between us and Atlanta again.
"This is a very cautious situation that we're in. You have to be conservative in terms of using your assets and using them wisely. We're building for the future." - Zeke (I guess not protecting a first round pick is being conservative)
crzymdups
USA
7/29/2004  5:06 PM
fishmike, they do get a trade exception for Kittles salary. The deal is, any time you trade with a team that's basically using it's cap room to absorb the salary it's taking on, you get the exception. It's almost like you're trading for their cap room, but only to use in trades. Chad Ford wrote about it, unfortunately I don't know how people cut and paste from Insider.

I wonder if the Nets will turn around and use the exception to acquire Shareef at this point? the exception plus some #1 picks for SAR? Might work.
¿ △ ?
nyshakespeare
Alba Posts: 13
Member: #420
USA
7/29/2004  5:07 PM
Posted by fishmike:

where did you read about a trade exception? They dont get a trade exception... I dont think there is such a thing. The only cap exceptions are if an expansion team drafts one of your players or the injury exception you can apply for.

http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm

TRADED PLAYER EXCEPTION -- This is a "credit" teams can use to replace the salary of a player traded to another team. This credit cannot be used to sign free agents -- it is only available for trades. This exception is discussed in detail in question number 68 . Also see question number 18 for more information on the availability and use of this exception.
It Is Solved By Walking
crzymdups
USA
7/29/2004  5:09 PM
Oddly, the Nets could now present the best package possible for Dampier. They could offer GSW their $10 million exception and a number one pick then sign Dampier to a 6 or 7 year deal starting at $8.5 million or so. GSW basically gets afree lottery pick and doesn't have to deal with people making fun of them for losing Dampier. But I have heard the Nets are trying like crazy to avoid the luxury tax, so they probably won't use the exception.
¿ △ ?
nyshakespeare
USA
7/29/2004  5:09 PM
Posted by s3231:

Oh well... at least we have a better shot at landing Dampier now that the Suns won't be able to sign him. It looks like it is between us and Atlanta again.

Phoenix could still trade for Dampier...
It Is Solved By Walking
s3231
USA
7/29/2004  5:11 PM
Yep, the Nets have an exemption from the K-Mart trade and now they have one from this Kittles trade. I doubt that Rattner will allow Thorn to use it but a trade for SAR would make sense.
crzymdups
USA
7/29/2004  5:12 PM
I don't think so. Mullin has said all along that he doesn't want more swingmen. They have Pietrus, JRich and Mike Dunleavy. They want bigs. Phoenix really has no bigs to offer other than Lampe and Zarko. I don't think even Mullin is that crazy.

The Knicks are in the drivers seat to get Dampier, well obviously Mullin is. But I think he will end up in NYC somehow, even if it's for two years of MLE.
¿ △ ?
nyshakespeare
USA
7/29/2004  5:37 PM
I don't think so. Mullin has said all along that he doesn't want more swingmen. They have Pietrus, JRich and Mike Dunleavy. They want bigs. Phoenix really has no bigs to offer other than Lampe and Zarko. I don't think even Mullin is that crazy.

Phoenix could include another team in the trade to get Mullin what he wants.

The Knicks are in the drivers seat to get Dampier, well obviously Mullin is. But I think he will end up in NYC somehow, even if it's for two years of MLE.

Isiah is said to be using the MLE on Baker, so how is going to sign both players with the same MLE?
It Is Solved By Walking
Knicksfan
Alba Posts: 27
Member: #691
USA
7/29/2004  5:46 PM
Posted by nyshakespeare:

Isiah is said to be using the MLE on Baker, so how is going to sign both players with the same MLE?

Maybe that's why the Baker deal hasn't been finalized yet. I don't think that Isiah will comitt on anyone if he still feels he has a chance to get a player like Dampier with the MLE. He may want to sign Baker with part of the MLE if nothing better is on the table, but if he has a chance to get Dampier, a center we really need and by now its obvious that Isiah wants to land him, for the MLE, that's something you can't say no. If Baker wants so much to be a Knick again then let him take the LLE. He is still being paid bu the Celtics anyway.
Knicks_Fan
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
7/29/2004  5:50 PM
Posted by crzymdups:

Oddly, the Nets could now present the best package possible for Dampier. They could offer GSW their $10 million exception and a number one pick then sign Dampier to a 6 or 7 year deal starting at $8.5 million or so. GSW basically gets afree lottery pick and doesn't have to deal with people making fun of them for losing Dampier. But I have heard the Nets are trying like crazy to avoid the luxury tax, so they probably won't use the exception.
7 years starting at 8.5 mil for Dampier? That's approaching K-Mart's contract. They would have just kept K-Mart if they were willing to spend that much on Dampier
raven
Member: #316
Canada
7/29/2004  6:10 PM
Posted by Rich:

Kidd's not going anywhere until he proves that he's healthy.

jKidd will be back in dallas soon, as soon as he's proven healthy.
Posted by Rich:

Ratner is a disgrace.

Kmart didn't deserve at all that money. Next season he'll be totally exposed without kidd. martin has no offensive game, without the ball genius to feed him all the time, he's nothing.

Trust me, jefferson will be 2 times the player martin is.

The nets had peaked and were going nowhere. They were strong but not strong enough, and paying martin would have been the start of a trip in the land of salary cap hell.

Sad but true, they're doing the best with what they have. A lot of cap space, some draft picks, they could rebuild on the fly and reload pretty quickly.
technomaster
Member: #426
USA
7/29/2004  6:39 PM
Well, I realize that this is a Knicks group, but I think K-Mart is an awesome fit for Denver. He's got the poor-man's Kidd (Andre Miller) running the show with the pint sized powerhouse Boykins backing him up in Denver--- they love to run and push the ball, much like the Nets.

K-Mart's excellent defense and ever-improving rebounding would help any team... his combination of speed, quickness, good hands, and athleticism for a big-man are rare--- his post up game and jumper are merely a little above average for a big man, but certainly his running ability opens up the floor for his teammates.

Is he worth the max? Urhm... maybe? I'd say he's probably a better overall contributor than quite a few names that have received max contracts--- Jamison, Keith Van Horn, Tim Thomas to name a few.

Back to Kittles and the Nets--- what a bunch of dumbasses. They seem to think they can build a contender from scratch. It's not that easy--- you need to be really lucky. Of course, we're talking about a team that's had countless lottery picks, including #2 KVH, #1 KMart, and #8 (Kittles). To think what they've gotten in return for these guys... it's just plain sad.

[Edited by - technomaster on 07/30/2004 00:49:42]
“That was two, two from the heart.” - John Starks
Nets trade Kittles to the Clips for 2nd rounder!

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy