nixluva wrote:
crzymdups wrote:
nixluva wrote:
crzymdups wrote:
nixluva wrote:
crzymdups wrote:
nixluva wrote:
crzymdups wrote:
nixluva wrote:Knicks are not using the offense to create easier shots. No cuts or motion and passing. Too much ISO and taking tough shots.

Maybe the plays they're running are predictable like the opposing teams have often said.

No they simply weren't running the offense. It was a lot of ISO stuff.

They weren't running the offense because the Pelicans were in their very obvious 1950s era passing lanes.

That's not it at all!!!

Well, at least they ditched the Triangle so they have a chance to win.

They haven't ditched the offense! They actually started to run it. I'm sad to see that after all this time people still don't recognize the offense!

Oh, I recognize the offense. It haunts my nightmares.

A big part of the offense is missing without guards that can attack the rim. We haven't been seeing the full offense. In fact no offense is going to look very good if you remove half of it.

Knicks should have a long talk with the guy who assembled this roster.

You think he isn't looking to improve the guards? Patience is a virtue. Good things come to those who wait! There was roster progress and they'll be looking for more this summer. Unless you expect everything to have been fixed in one summer. Very few teams have ever had so many holes filled in one summer. He did the best he could without locking himself into guys and having no future flexibility.

This is Phil's third summer. And the Knicks are not an attractive destination for guards in the this league. Because... wait for it... of the offense they run.

Perhaps but we don't know that for sure. We'll see how things go this summer. I'm not worried about the offense being a reason some guard wouldn't take our money. It's a lame excuse to avoid the Knicks. This team is set up perfectly for a talented guard.

Furthermore Phil CREATED the holes, by breaking up a team that won 54 games, had some injuries, finished 18-6 in 2013-14, he gave away Tyson, Felton, Shump, JR, Amar'e for nothing.

And you're talking about they had holes to fill? Yeah, you give away 5 of your top 7 players, you're gonna have some holes!

You seriously think it wasn't a good idea to remake this team? Why are you bringing up the old roster? This direction is VASTLY better than sticking with what we had. You have to open your mind to where this team can be and not get absorbed in the current state of things. This is actually year one of the rebuild. Going back to when Phil took over completely misses the point.

I'm very excited about the future of this team and wouldn't change back to the direction they were going. If you can't project even a little bit to see how things could develop then yeah staying stuck in the present situation would be bad. But we're not staying in this position. Progress is being made!

LOL. Oh man. "Evident progress!" Dolan must be thrilled.

I do not think the direction of this team is better. So much will hinge on their ability to find a very good guard with limited money this off-season. And again, guards around the league make fun of the Triangle constantly. c.f. Rajon Rondo, ostensibly our #1 attainable target this summer.

Yes, I think the 2013-4 roster was vastly superior to their current roster. Obviously the only blessing is Porzingis. Being a Knicks fan, I'm having a hard time believing they won't somehow screw up KP, too.

¿ △ ?
AUTOADVERT
WaltLongmire
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #5843

3/28/2016  11:28 PM
nyknickzingis wrote:
WaltLongmire wrote:
crzymdups wrote:
nyknickzingis wrote:Lone bright spot as this poor close to the season (We're 10-24 in the second half of the season) continues is that Porzingis still continues to play well and have good games. Some very nice moments from him again. 16 points, 10 boards, 3 blocks tonight. Keep it up unicorn. As I said in another thread, if all we get out of this season was Porzingis improving as a player, developing, and he turns out to be special in the future (remains to be seen) then we'll look back at this season and reflect differently.

For now though, man Afflalo really really stunk it up tonight. We got nothing like usual from the guards. However it wasn't just that. Why the hell was this team consistently trying to feed Seraphin and Afflalo and Lopez in the post? This is not what we want to be doing. We want to get Melo in the post, yes. Maybe KP as he needs to develop and has shown some progress. Everyone else needs to stay the hell away from trying to post up. I saw the Triangle being run in Chicago and LA and there's no way they were posting up their scrubs. Why we post up our scrubs, I do not know.

I think they often result to the second and third and even fourth option in the offense because our guards are not good enough at creating the right passing angles to feed the first option.

This is what the defense wants - to force us into the secondary, tertiary, whatever plays in the Triangle. And the Knicks let it happen because they have no guards who can force the issue or create penetration.

Well, Jerian Grant can create penetration. The fact that he isn't playing at least 24min every single game is criminal. Rambis is a terrible coach.

Which would better prove Rambis' value as a coach and help the team next season?

1) Winning a game or two with Jose playing 30MPG? OR

2) Giving Grant an unconditional 30MPG and letting him end the season feeling like he had accomplished something despite a tough run as a rookie?

I actually think giving young players unconditional playing time has never proven to be the right method. Quite the contrary. When a player hasn't shown he has it, you don't give him unlimited playing time to establish poor habits that carry on for years. Just a few weeks ago people were hard on Rambis for his limitation of Porzingis minutes and how he wanted KP to play. A few weeks later and KP is playing as well as he did at season's start, and playing smarter in regards to his shots. That's what you want to do. Even KP needed to learn that he couldn't keep settling for jumpshots outside.

To a different degree it's the same with Grant. He needs to learn he has to stop making poor passes with bad angles and holding onto the ball for too long. He's made some improvements in these departments. I don't love his game or hate it. I think he'll become reliable with time.

Has as much to do with confidence as anything else. If you expect to be taken out whenever you make a mistake you are not going to play loose and free.

It would be nice if Grant could find some kind of comfort zone as the season closes out...does not seem like this is going to happen, though.

EnySpree: Can we agree to agree not to mention Phil Jackson and triangle for the rest of our lives?
nixluva
Member: #758
USA
3/28/2016  11:41 PM
crzymdups wrote:
nixluva wrote:
crzymdups wrote:
nixluva wrote:
crzymdups wrote:
nixluva wrote:
crzymdups wrote:
nixluva wrote:
crzymdups wrote:
nixluva wrote:
crzymdups wrote:
nixluva wrote:
crzymdups wrote:
nixluva wrote:
crzymdups wrote:
nixluva wrote:Knicks are not using the offense to create easier shots. No cuts or motion and passing. Too much ISO and taking tough shots.

Maybe the plays they're running are predictable like the opposing teams have often said.

They weren't running the offense because the Pelicans were in their very obvious 1950s era passing lanes.

That's not it at all!!!

They haven't ditched the offense! They actually started to run it. I'm sad to see that after all this time people still don't recognize the offense!

A big part of the offense is missing without guards that can attack the rim. We haven't been seeing the full offense. In fact no offense is going to look very good if you remove half of it.

You think he isn't looking to improve the guards? Patience is a virtue. Good things come to those who wait! There was roster progress and they'll be looking for more this summer. Unless you expect everything to have been fixed in one summer. Very few teams have ever had so many holes filled in one summer. He did the best he could without locking himself into guys and having no future flexibility.

This is Phil's third summer. And the Knicks are not an attractive destination for guards in the this league. Because... wait for it... of the offense they run.

Perhaps but we don't know that for sure. We'll see how things go this summer. I'm not worried about the offense being a reason some guard wouldn't take our money. It's a lame excuse to avoid the Knicks. This team is set up perfectly for a talented guard.

Furthermore Phil CREATED the holes, by breaking up a team that won 54 games, had some injuries, finished 18-6 in 2013-14, he gave away Tyson, Felton, Shump, JR, Amar'e for nothing.

And you're talking about they had holes to fill? Yeah, you give away 5 of your top 7 players, you're gonna have some holes!

You seriously think it wasn't a good idea to remake this team? Why are you bringing up the old roster? This direction is VASTLY better than sticking with what we had. You have to open your mind to where this team can be and not get absorbed in the current state of things. This is actually year one of the rebuild. Going back to when Phil took over completely misses the point.

I'm very excited about the future of this team and wouldn't change back to the direction they were going. If you can't project even a little bit to see how things could develop then yeah staying stuck in the present situation would be bad. But we're not staying in this position. Progress is being made!

I do not think the direction of this team is better. So much will hinge on their ability to find a very good guard with limited money this off-season. And again, guards around the league make fun of the Triangle constantly. c.f. Rajon Rondo, ostensibly our #1 attainable target this summer.

Yes, I think the 2013-4 roster was vastly superior to their current roster. Obviously the only blessing is Porzingis. Being a Knicks fan, I'm having a hard time believing they won't somehow screw up KP, too.

I totally disagree on the direction of the team versus where previous team was headed!!!

Screw up KP??? Dude was nearly ROY! I think perhaps you're just jaded when it comes to this team. This direction is much better than the previous teams because it's a much more sustainable process. There is a lot more youth and there is going to be cap space to try and lure more talent.

The idea is to build on what they've done last summer and fill the remaining holes and improve the team. This is a much more positive direction despite the current state of the roster.

CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
3/28/2016  11:45 PM
I missed the game but looking at the box score i saw the Pelicans got to the free throw line 37 times to 13 for the knicks. Also, Melo didnt go to the line once. Was officiating a factor?
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
nixluva
USA
3/28/2016  11:49 PM
CrushAlot wrote:I missed the game but looking at the box score i saw the Pelicans got to the free throw line 37 times to 13 for the knicks. Also, Melo didnt go to the line once. Was officiating a factor?

Partly but Knicks were firing up jumpers! Not enough driving to the hoop. Can't wait to add more penetrators. Half the offense is missing!!! People blame the Triangle! WE'VE NEVER SEEN THE WHOLE TRIANGLE!!! SMDH!

mreinman
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #3189

3/28/2016  11:53 PM
crzymdups wrote:
nixluva wrote:
crzymdups wrote:
nixluva wrote:
crzymdups wrote:
nixluva wrote:
crzymdups wrote:
nixluva wrote:
crzymdups wrote:
nixluva wrote:
crzymdups wrote:
nixluva wrote:
crzymdups wrote:
nixluva wrote:
crzymdups wrote:

That's not it at all!!!

you're wasting valuable time and energy. How can you argue with someone who is always wrong? Unfair advantage. Its like debating 5 year old. Why? Because. Because why? because thats why. But everytime you say that you are wrong. How come you don't learn from that? Because. Because why? Because because.

uh-kay

SMDH!!

so here is what phil is thinking ....
nyknickzingis
Member: #6207

3/29/2016  10:24 AM    LAST EDITED: 3/29/2016  10:27 AM
In wins and losses Jackson has not improved the Knicks from where he started off with.
However for the longrun they are in a much much better spot than when he began.

Porzingis, a potential franchise player in the making, at worst an all-star caliber forward to work with.
RoLo was a very good free agent signing.

There's capspace in 2016, 2017.

We've got all our draft picks 2017 onward.

Jackson has looked at the big picture and ignored immediate short term success for a longterm window. If Jackson really wanted to prove his ability to manage in the short term he would cashed in on the #4 draft pick, traded it for a veteran #2 option for Melo. Like Melo's people probably wanted. He would have likely traded draft picks this trading deadline, to add a ballhandling guard capable to start on a good NBA team. He's had a hands off my draft picks approach. Executives who have this approach are usually in it for the longhaul and have a longterm goal in mind.

This summer is big for Jackson. He has to show he can see the need for guard play on the team. He stacked up the front court. He left the backcourt weak. Must make some moves this summer to improve the backcourt. Evan Turner is not enough. Need 2 starting level guards or 1 star guard. Jackson must be aggressive in improving the guard skills on this team.

nixluva
USA
3/29/2016  1:41 PM
nyknickzingis wrote:In wins and losses Jackson has not improved the Knicks from where he started off with.

Porzingis, a potential franchise player in the making, at worst an all-star caliber forward to work with.

Jackson has looked at the big picture and ignored immediate short term success for a longterm window. If Jackson really wanted to prove his ability to manage in the short term he would cashed in on the #4 draft pick, traded it for a veteran #2 option for Melo. Like Melo's people probably wanted. He would have likely traded draft picks this trading deadline, to add a ballhandling guard capable to start on a good NBA team. He's had a hands off my draft picks approach. Executives who have this approach are usually in it for the longhaul and have a longterm goal in mind.

This summer is big for Jackson. He has to show he can see the need for guard play on the team. He stacked up the front court. He left the backcourt weak. Must make some moves this summer to improve the backcourt. Evan Turner is not enough. Need 2 starting level guards or 1 star guard. Jackson must be aggressive in improving the guard skills on this team.

Agreed!
jrodmc
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #805
USA
3/29/2016  3:36 PM
nixluva wrote:
nyknickzingis wrote:In wins and losses Jackson has not improved the Knicks from where he started off with.

Agreed!

+11 factorial!

I finally realize where all the Phil hate comes from. Can't be from the losing. We've been doing that on and off since the '99 Miracle Finals run.

It's about the only piece he kept.

crzymdups
Member: #671
USA
3/29/2016  4:02 PM

Every team has cap room - the cap is going up. That's not Phil's management, that's the league signing a new contract (that's going to lead to a long lockout in 2017 but whatever).

He got no assets for Tyson Chandler, Amare, JR, Shumpert, Felton - all of whom are still in the league and have been key parts of playoffs teams in the last two years since they were dumped by the Knicks - Tyson not this year, but yes last year. And Phil got NOTHING for those guys. NOTHING. He got more for Prigioni! He got Shved! And then let him walk.

Phil has made some decent moves. Grant I liked. Rolo I liked. KP was a gift.

He's done a pretty questionable job otherwise. I'm not sure how you can argue otherwise. Look at the record. We're not set up for the future. We have one very good young player. We don't have a draft pick til 2017. There are plenty of teams with multiple good young players. We have no coach, a questionable system, an aging star, a slow roster, tons of holes in the backcourt.

They can sign maybe Jennings or Rondo this off-season... maybe? If they're lucky!

I don't get this idea that Phil has done a good job.

¿ △ ?
crzymdups
USA
3/29/2016  4:20 PM
Jrue Holiday and Alonzo Gee are out for the season after last night's game against the Knicks. Geez. That team is snake bit.

http://www.nba.com/pelicans/pelicans-announce-medical-updates

¿ △ ?
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
3/29/2016  4:21 PM
crzymdups wrote:

Every team has cap room - the cap is going up. That's not Phil's management, that's the league signing a new contract (that's going to lead to a long lockout in 2017 but whatever).

He got no assets for Tyson Chandler, Amare, JR, Shumpert, Felton - all of whom are still in the league and have been key parts of playoffs teams in the last two years since they were dumped by the Knicks - Tyson not this year, but yes last year. And Phil got NOTHING for those guys. NOTHING. He got more for Prigioni! He got Shved! And then let him walk.

He's done a pretty questionable job otherwise. I'm not sure how you can argue otherwise. Look at the record. We're not set up for the future. We have one very good young player. We don't have a draft pick til 2017. There are plenty of teams with multiple good young players. We have no coach, a questionable system, an aging star, a slow roster, tons of holes in the backcourt.

They can sign maybe Jennings or Rondo this off-season... maybe? If they're lucky!

At the same time I don't get the idea of slanting the reality the other way, and I've felt that you posted just that.

First, let's get over the notion that every team has cap space next year. They don't. If you want to say lots, that would be a lot better.

Tyson and Felton were going to be a big ****in burden to the team going forward if they were kept, no 2 ways around that and I am guessing other teams knew that too. We sold low and got measly back no doubt about it. Nothing? Not close. Next to nothing? Better. Cle Early?

32 pick in the draft? Willy?

You can certainly make an argument that Phil hasn't done enough but you shoot your own argument down when you can't put forth a fact driven thought.

You can never know what the future will hold but without dumping Tyson, Felton, Jr, Shump and tanking like it's the teams job, you don't get a chance at the lottery.

If you want to argue that you think Phil should have gotten future first rounders for Tyson, Felton, Jr, Shump, have at it.

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
crzymdups
USA
3/29/2016  4:42 PM    LAST EDITED: 3/29/2016  4:44 PM
martin wrote:
crzymdups wrote:

At the same time I don't get the idea of slanting the reality the other way, and I've felt that you posted just that.

First, let's get over the notion that every team has cap space next year. They don't. If you want to say lots, that would be a lot better.

Tyson and Felton were going to be a big ****in burden to the team going forward if they were kept, no 2 ways around that and I am guessing other teams knew that too. We sold low and got measly back no doubt about it. Nothing? Not close. Next to nothing? Better. Cle Early?

32 pick in the draft? Willy?

You can certainly make an argument that Phil hasn't done enough but you shoot your own argument down when you can't put forth a fact driven thought.

You can never know what the future will hold but without dumping Tyson, Felton, Jr, Shump and tanking like it's the teams job, you don't get a chance at the lottery.

If you want to argue that you think Phil should have gotten future first rounders for Tyson, Felton, Jr, Shump, have at it.

I think you're taking your frustration with other posters out on what I've said. Nothing I've said is distorted.

The Knicks don't have cap room because of some great management by Phil - they have cap room because the league's cap is rising to $92-95M because of a TV deal. Every other team will experience the same $25M increase in cap space next season. Some already have it committed, the majority of the league does not. Last I saw the Knicks are 20th in available cap space out of 30 teams. Fair?

I was responding to the notion that Phil has managed the cap well. He hasn't really. He's managed it fine, but it's not like he's created $60M in cap space like the Lakers have.

The issue with the Tyson, Felton, Shumpert, JR trades - he sold low in all cases. And sold early. And got NEXT TO NOTHING in return. Knicks actually had a better record AFTER trading Shump and JR, so not sure how trading them aided the tanking cause. He got some high second round picks. Early does not look like an NBA player to me. I hope I'm wrong and he puts it together. Hernangomez - hey, I'm rooting for him to succeed, too. They passed up some NBA ready talent in the second round to get them, so I hope they pan out.

Phil has done a mediocre job here. KP was a gift. Thank god we had a pick in the best draft of the past ten years and thank god we got to use it on a good player. But that doesn't excuse him from not getting more assets back in trades for guys he ditched purely because he didn't like the way they played. JR and Shump made a well documented run to the Finals with the Cavs who were 19-21 when they acquired JR and Shump and Mozgov, I believe. Tyson and Felton had good seasons for Dallas. Tyson got a big contract in FA and fell off due to age, but he was very valuable up til last summer.

What's the reason we can't trade Melo again? Oh yeah, Phil gave Melo a no trade clause. I like Melo, but damn that's a rookie GM move. I guess Melo will dictate our rebuilding process.

And who's our coach again? Is it the coach with the worst record in NBA history? Rambis? Oh. Good job Phil.

I can't wait to see the rationalizing people do around here when Kurt is given the full time job this summer.

¿ △ ?
nyknickzingis
Member: #6207

3/29/2016  8:45 PM    LAST EDITED: 3/29/2016  8:54 PM
Hard to set up for the future when the situation you come in to has already seen the 2014 and 2016 draft picks traded away.
He played hard ball with many free agents last year and didn't overpay anyone. Only big contract he handed out was Lopez. Who now everyone sees as someone worthy of signing for that much.

The big moves have all been good. Porzingis with the 4th pick - call it luck, but it was his biggest chip to work with and boy did he cash in well. Then free agency he's cashed in with Lopez. Got more free agency money in 2016 and 2017. Afflalo and DWill were punts/fill ins. Guys he liked who were willing to take short cheaper deals in a hugely growing market. He is waiting to find the right players to cash in on longterm. The players he has used his chips on longterm are all either all-stars (Melo), elite young talent who are breaking rookie records (Porzingis) or quality (Lopez). There hasn't been a big investment or move Phil has made that you can say "man that's awful, why are we stuck with this guy for 4 years". You can say that about Calderon perhaps, but truth is the guy is making 7 million a year and should be a backup, and that's exactly what they're trying to set the table up for. The plan isn't to win championships with Calderon. Jose is a current starter that won't be one 1-2 years from now. Afflalo has already been demoted to the bench. It's not easy to construct Rome. So long as Jackson continues to cash in his chips on players like Lopez, Porzingis, Melo caliber only at the guard spots, I'm fine with waiting. The last thing I want to see as a Knicks fan is yet another GM who wants to try to win the NBA championship in year 1 or 2 on the job and trades away all our draft picks, all our longterm growth potential. Jackson has not done a good job. I've never said he has. I've said that his job has been with the longterm win in mind. When an executive has that kind of approach, you need to also give him the 3 years or so he needs to show why he's waiting. My instincts tell me Jackson does not want to pay huge sums of money to players who won't put the Knicks in championship contention. They're just not available. You look at our trade rumors this past year. All good one's. We were after Teague. That's a point guard at a high level who is on a good contract. Jackson will not do what the Knicks fans have suffered the last 20 years from. An executive running the team financially through the ground on washed up has been players making maximum money. We're going to look for bargains in free agency. Players worth signing. Like RoLo was.

I don't know if Jackson's method will work, but I do appreciate he has looked out for the Knicks longterm. All the draft picks have been sustained. Some picks have been added and tried to be molded into core players. Porzingis, Grant, Hernangomez. Galloway on a 10 day pick up. Wroten at 22 years old another low risk pick up. All longterm moves in mind. 2016 and 2017 capspace (And beyond that even) for all-star free agent guards.

The only big mistake Jackson has made in my book has been corrected (Hiring Fisher). It wasn't even his plan to have him coach. He wanted a much much better coach in Kerr and we had a verbal agreement with him. Kerr backed out once Golden State came to him. Now I don't know if Rambis will coach next year, but I won't criticize firing Fisher. That was a move we needed to make. Fisher wasn't getting the team to play the right way and was running wacky lineups with no continuity for the players. I've seen improvement in Porzingis since Rambis took over. After the initial adjustment to what Rambis wanted from him, KP has began playing much better than he was late in Fish's tenure. Less settling for outside jumpshots and higher commitment to defense.

mreinman
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #3189

3/29/2016  9:01 PM
nyknickzingis wrote:Hard to set up for the future when the situation you come in to has already seen the 2014 and 2016 draft picks traded away.
He played hard ball with many free agents last year and didn't overpay anyone. Only big contract he handed out was Lopez. Who now everyone sees as someone worthy of signing for that much.

The big moves have all been good. Porzingis with the 4th pick - call it luck, but it was his biggest chip to work with and boy did he cash in well. Then free agency he's cashed in with Lopez. Got more free agency money in 2016 and 2017. Afflalo and DWill were punts/fill ins. Guys he liked who were willing to take short cheaper deals in a hugely growing market. He is waiting to find the right players to cash in on longterm. The players he has used his chips on longterm are all either all-stars (Melo), elite young talent who are breaking rookie records (Porzingis) or quality (Lopez). There hasn't been a big investment or move Phil has made that you can say "man that's awful, why are we stuck with this guy for 4 years". You can say that about Calderon perhaps, but truth is the guy is making 7 million a year and should be a backup. It's not easy to construct Rome. So long as Jackson continues to cash in his chips on players like Lopez, Porzingis, Melo caliber only at the guard spots, I'm fine with waiting. The last thing I want to see as a Knicks fan is yet another GM who wants to try to win the NBA championship in year 1 and trades away all our draft picks, all our longterm growth potential. Jackson has not done a good job. I've never said he has. I've said that his job has been with the longterm win in mind. When an executive has that kind of approach, you need to also give him the 3 years or so he needs to show why he's waiting. My instincts tell me Jackson does not want to pay huge sums of money to players who won't put the Knicks in championship contention. They're just not available. You look at our trade rumors this past year. All good one's. We were after Teague. That's a point guard at a high level who is on a good contract. Jackson will not do what the Knicks fans have suffered the last 20 years from. An executive running the team financially through the ground on washed up has been players making maximum money.

I don't know if Jackson's method will work, but I do appreciate he has looked out for the Knicks longterm. All the draft picks have been sustained. Some picks have been added and tried to be molded into core players. Porzingis, Grant, Hernangomez. Galloway on a 10 day pick up. Wroten at 22 years old another low risk pick up. All longterm moves in mind. 2016 and 2017 capspace (And beyond that even) for all-star free agent guards.

he brought in fisher
he is force feeding the triangle which seems very outdated
rambis
rumor had it that he killed the lowry trade
why did he not trade tyson and maybe even melo right when he came on while they still had value?
he signed lopez but that was after he went after monroe

And I still have no idea who he will go after this off season. If he goes and thinks like most posters here who could care less about a players efficiency and is just gonna go on the pompous 1920's eye test then we are fukked.

Phil is definitely a smart guy but his cloudiness in regards to needing to prove his system outside of its success with all time greats may be our downfall.

If he can't get one of the top FA guards like Conley and Derozen then hopefully he will just try out a number of cheap / young options.

My biggest issue with his is why the hell did we not see them try out a bunch of young kids in this lost and wasted season?

so here is what phil is thinking ....
nixluva
USA
3/29/2016  9:03 PM
nyknickzingis wrote:Hard to set up for the future when the situation you come in to has already seen the 2014 and 2016 draft picks traded away.

The big moves have all been good. Porzingis with the 4th pick - call it luck, but it was his biggest chip to work with and boy did he cash in well. Then free agency he's cashed in with Lopez. Got more free agency money in 2016 and 2017. Afflalo and DWill were punts/fill ins. Guys he liked who were willing to take short cheaper deals in a hugely growing market. He is waiting to find the right players to cash in on longterm. The players he has used his chips on longterm are all either all-stars (Melo), elite young talent who are breaking rookie records (Porzingis) or quality (Lopez). There hasn't been a big investment or move Phil has made that you can say "man that's awful, why are we stuck with this guy for 4 years". You can say that about Calderon perhaps, but truth is the guy is making 7 million a year and should be a backup, and that's exactly what they're trying to set the table up for. The plan isn't to win championships with Calderon. Jose is a current starter that won't be one 1-2 years from now. Afflalo has already been demoted to the bench. It's not easy to construct Rome. So long as Jackson continues to cash in his chips on players like Lopez, Porzingis, Melo caliber only at the guard spots, I'm fine with waiting. The last thing I want to see as a Knicks fan is yet another GM who wants to try to win the NBA championship in year 1 or 2 on the job and trades away all our draft picks, all our longterm growth potential. Jackson has not done a good job. I've never said he has. I've said that his job has been with the longterm win in mind. When an executive has that kind of approach, you need to also give him the 3 years or so he needs to show why he's waiting. My instincts tell me Jackson does not want to pay huge sums of money to players who won't put the Knicks in championship contention. They're just not available. You look at our trade rumors this past year. All good one's. We were after Teague. That's a point guard at a high level who is on a good contract. Jackson will not do what the Knicks fans have suffered the last 20 years from. An executive running the team financially through the ground on washed up has been players making maximum money. We're going to look for bargains in free agency. Players worth signing. Like RoLo was.

The only big mistake Jackson has made in my book has been corrected (Hiring Fisher). It wasn't even his plan to have him coach. He wanted a much much better coach in Kerr and we had a verbal agreement with him. Kerr backed out once Golden State came to him. Now I don't know if Rambis will coach next year, but I won't criticize firing Fisher. That was a move we needed to make. Fisher wasn't getting the team to play the right way and was running wacky lineups with no continuity for the players. I've seen improvement in Porzingis since Rambis took over. After the initial adjustment to what Rambis wanted from him, KP has began playing much better than he was late in Fish's tenure. Less settling for outside jumpshots and higher commitment to defense.

Another GREAT POST!

"1st Do No Harm". That has been how Phil has operated for the most part. It's easy to bash him for not putting together a fail proof roster last summer but he nearly rebuilt the entire team. He didn't overcommit to guys that he shouldn't have.

Regardless of missing the playoffs this season, he's made some progress with the roster and now he has to have a good summer and make more progress. But as you pointed out he actually has been making good moves. Willy stashed for next year was a great move. Taking a low risk flyer on Wroten is a great move. People can make jokes but the kid has talent and if they can develop him that's another young talent in the mix and it cost next to nothing.

crzymdups
USA
3/29/2016  9:25 PM
nyknickzingis wrote:He played hard ball with many free agents last year and didn't overpay anyone.

Who did he play hard ball with? Don't say Monroe. Monroe said he thought Milwaukee had a better chance to be a winning team.

¿ △ ?
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
3/29/2016  10:30 PM
crzymdups wrote:
nyknickzingis wrote:He played hard ball with many free agents last year and didn't overpay anyone.

Who did he play hard ball with? Don't say Monroe. Monroe said he thought Milwaukee had a better chance to be a winning team.

Monroe also reportedly was offered more money from the bucks.

I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
crzymdups
USA
3/29/2016  10:39 PM
CrushAlot wrote:
crzymdups wrote:

Okay, that's one example if we believe that report. My memory is not that Phil low-balled free agents, it's that we couldn't get anyone to sign here so ended up having to take one year fliers on DWill and Afflalo. ROLO was a good signing - not a great signing, a solid, good signing.

I'm willing to give Phil a chance - not that I have any choice - but I can't believe that too many folks here are actually excited about the job he's done so far. KP has been a gift. Everything else has been so so. I am extremely worried about the head coach decision - I think that'll have a huge impact on free agency, too.

¿ △ ?
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
3/29/2016  11:47 PM
crzymdups wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
crzymdups wrote:

Okay, that's one example if we believe that report. My memory is not that Phil low-balled free agents, it's that we couldn't get anyone to sign here so ended up having to take one year fliers on DWill and Afflalo. ROLO was a good signing - not a great signing, a solid, good signing.

I'm willing to give Phil a chance - not that I have any choice - but I can't believe that too many folks here are actually excited about the job he's done so far. KP has been a gift. Everything else has been so so. I am extremely worried about the head coach decision - I think that'll have a huge impact on free agency, too.

I really don't think there are too many folks that are actually excited about the job he's done.

Some understand it, some are OK with the circumstances around it, I really don't believe too many are excited.

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
I hate creating lame Gamethreads, Pelicans tonight

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy