[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

the big and final sticking point in Crawford deal
Author Thread
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
7/29/2004  1:35 PM
the bulls have already offered Crawford a deal of 6 years 39mm. IF Crawford signs ANY deal other than possibly the Clippers or Atlanta who have more than the MLE--it will be matched whether it's 2 years or 6 years. It really doesnt matter what scenario you threw out, as long as its at the 5mm mark hes a bull 2 years or 6 years.
If Crawford wants to become an unrestricted FA he just needs to play this year at 3.5mm--a very risky gamble considering the bulls are willing to give him 40

the players $$$ market is the MLE--- the ONLy team in the entire NBA willing to come forward and pay him more is the Knicks, but they are at the mercy of the Bulls agreeing to it.

If Im the players agent and I have come to the realization that he isnt going to get that extra 15mm, just put the ball back in Chicago's court by accepting a full MLE offer with the Knicks with an opt out after 3 and frontloading the contract with a bonus.
RIP Crushalot😞
AUTOADVERT
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
7/29/2004  1:40 PM
Agent means very little when restricted FA is involved because the team reserves the right to match any offer. Really their role is diminished and plays more of an arbriter role. Ray allen and a few other players no longer have agents at all.
RIP Crushalot😞
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
7/29/2004  2:03 PM
what I dont get is if Isiah has carte blanc why he doesnt make the deal w/ Deke and just dump ERobb and Moochie. Even if they save say $5mm over both contracts its worth it for the roster spaces. Just blame Layden and say it beats having to buy out Shandon's $21mm.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
Rich
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #511
USA
7/29/2004  3:04 PM
Posted by Bonn1997:
Posted by Rich:
Posted by Bonn1997:

[quote]

Some people only know how to be negative

The Knicks haven't won a championships since 1973, and have no chance to win one in the foreseeable future.

It's not unreasonable to beleive that being negative is merely facing reality.

What does that have to with being impatient about getting Jamal Crawford? Are you certain that Jamal Crawford won't be a Knick? Are you certain that if he is a Knick, it is impossible that he would be part of a championship team? If you're not certain, then why not wait to see what happens? If we do get him, why not be happy that we'd have some very talented young players with him, Marbury, Sweetney, and maybe Ariza? Are you certain that that team would be no closer to winning a championship than the 12 man roster Layden gave Isiah?

I agree about the Crawford issue, but I'm comparing what the Knicks have done over the last 31 years to what the Lakers have done. It's a disgrace that a team that plays in the Mecca of basketball has been run so short-sightedly.
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
7/29/2004  3:31 PM
Ive only been a Knick fan since the late 80s when I started following basketball. In fairness I thought they did a reasonable job doing the best they could to win a title. The advanced to the 2nd round for 10 years in a row. They went to 2 NBA finals, one a game 7, the other tough luck with injuries.

The disgrace and short sighted era started when LAyden took over and somehow thought that players like Luc Longley, Travis Knight, Anderson, Eisley and Glenn Rice were an ok subsitution for a star center and franchise player.

We had 2 crystal clear opportunities to rebuild this team. One was just let Ewing's $18mm contract come off the books, and let the big fella ride off into the sunset. We would have had a reasonable roster with plenty of cap space and flexibility.

The other was after the 99 finals. Our two best and most valuable players were at the same position. Trading either Houston or Spree would have been very unpopular at first, but if it was done right we could have gotten alot as their value was at its peek.

Instead Layden added McDyess, Eisley, Anderson, Travis, Spoon, Mark Jackson, Harrington and KVH and maxed out Spree and Houston along the way. Considering the $$ money involved it might be the worst stretch any NBA team has had in a 3-4 year stretch.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
KNICKSdom
Alba Posts: 8
Member: #545
USA
7/29/2004  4:00 PM
Fish hit right on the Bull's eye. We are simply paying dearly from that old Knicks management regime. There is just no going back and no cap space in the near future unless Isiah let the big contracts go in their walk year (Penny, Tim and Houston). More likely I think Isiah will use last year contracts to get talented players in NY from teams hungry for cap space. Thats reality, look at NJ and Atlanta. There are suckers out there.
Knicks are happening and have a Unicorn.
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
7/29/2004  4:07 PM
Posted by BRIGGS:

someone had to step up:>)

i've come to reasonable conclusion that this is no longer a viable deal since the knicks wont go past the sticking point.
Well I'm glad Isiah's more patient than you are. Last I checked there were still six months before the trade deadline.
Bonn1997
USA
8/5/2004  11:54 PM
Posted by BRIGGS:

the NY Knick organization is viewing the contract offer to Crawford"as savings to the Bulls of 50+mm over 6 years" and chicago doesn't quite see it that way---that is the reason why this deal is absolutely dead and likely has no chance of revival.
BigRedDog
Member: #569
8/6/2004  12:01 AM
Posted by Bonn1997:
Posted by BRIGGS:

the NY Knick organization is viewing the contract offer to Crawford"as savings to the Bulls of 50+mm over 6 years" and chicago doesn't quite see it that way---that is the reason why this deal is absolutely dead and likely has no chance of revival.

Briggs-- Frank is 2 yrs away from being 2 years away
TheloniusMonk
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #705
USA
8/6/2004  12:07 AM
I believe that BRIGGS considers himself the official "bearer of bad news" along with this Islesfan guy. They do a vanishing act when something GREAT for us happens. Mark my words, when they do post here it will be to interject whatever angle they've pondered and pondered and found some type of downer to dwell on. Trust me.

Other than that.....I LOVE THIS BOARD.....AND MORE IMPORTANTLY I LOVE THIS TRADE!!!!!!!!
'You can catch me in Hollis at the hero shop!' -Tony Yayo
tkf
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #87
8/6/2004  12:13 AM
Posted by BigRedDog:
Posted by Bonn1997:
Posted by BRIGGS:

hahahahah... open mouth, insert keyboard!!! LOL..
Anyone who sits around and waits for the lottery to better themselves, either in real life or in sports, Is a Loser............... TKF
Bonn1997
USA
8/6/2004  12:22 AM
Posted by islesfan:

The $3M that Isiah is offering the Bulls is similar to the Lucky C-Note that the Rosato Brothers offered to Frank Pentangeli in The Godfather Part 2. It's an insult.
Paxson was so insulted that he gave us Crawford and JYD for expiring contracts. I hope Isiah can "insult" the Wolves so we get Garnett soon too
the big and final sticking point in Crawford deal

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy