[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Chicago, MSG time
Author Thread
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
3/25/2016  1:36 PM
nyknickzingis wrote:I didn't want Afflalo back as a starter, but off the bench I think he has real value. If re-signing him was about giving him the starting spot, I wouldn't want that, but as a bench guy, I am very open to it. Most good teams have a 2nd unit player who can create his own shot and be aggressive in scoring. He's good for 10-12 points off the bench. There's only 2 things I appreciate in the coaching change from Rambis. One that he's pushed Porzingis to develop more than spotting up and settling for that. The other is his moving Afflalo to the 6th man/bench role. Much more appropriate for his talent level.

Way I see it right now is that we need someone that fits in at 2 guard to replace Sasha. Sasha has shown what a shooter who defends can do for the team. He isn't even a good shooter or a good defender but his effort and willingness to step in and take those shots are always there as are his efforts on defense. If Grant improves, Wroten is taken on as a project, we've got athleticism and guards that can get into the paint there. I agree with you Martin that a free agent upgrade at one of the guard spots would go a big way, but who is that free agent? Hard for me to pinpoint that player.

In 16 games Sasha has started, I believe the Knicks are 8-8. Pretty crazy how a player who doesn't shoot, drive, or do anything all that well but fill in the role in the offense very well can make it seem as if there's no net loss with starting him. Makes one think what we would like with a player doing what Sasha is with actual skill level to make 3's, open shots and defend. Evan Turner isn't that player though. He's not a good 3 point shooter. If we sign Turner, I like him for the bench, as an upgrade to Galloway. Galloway has struggled as the season has progressed and I don't trust his ballhandling or decision making. Good spot up guy that can drive to the basket. Not a reliable ballhandler/decision maker.

Next year I'd like Jose/Grant to split minutes at point guard. Irrelevant who starts, just split the minutes. For that to happen Grant has to shoot the ball well, like he has in the post all-star break. And keep getting into the paint, look for those drives. IF, and that's a big IF we can trust Grant to bring that on a nightly game to game basis, we can probably go all in on spending on a starting 2 guard. Fournier? Although he is a restricted free agent. A name doesn't pop up to me who does the following things well - shoot the 3, defend, athletic, in his prime. Batum would really help on many levels. Don't see why Charlotte wouldn't keep him.

After that you're looking at getting guys on the Afflalo level of last year. There's Bayless (Grant would play 2 in this scenario). OJ Mayo. Courtney Lee. I think odds are higher we wind up with a player of this category in free agency than a Fournier or even Batum.

good stuff.

It's out of left field and realistically has no probability of happening, but DeMar DeRozan has been on my mind (objectively I know relatively little about his actual game). This is where Phil gotta step up to the plate and flash is bling Pat Riley style. Tell DeMar that he can be elevated to Kobe, Jordan level within the triangle. Convince DeRozan that he can also persuade Westbrook the next year.

Obviously a lot of nearly insurmountable obstacles but one can dream.

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
AUTOADVERT
mreinman
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #3189

3/25/2016  1:59 PM
nyknickzingis wrote:I didn't want Afflalo back as a starter, but off the bench I think he has real value. If re-signing him was about giving him the starting spot, I wouldn't want that, but as a bench guy, I am very open to it. Most good teams have a 2nd unit player who can create his own shot and be aggressive in scoring. He's good for 10-12 points off the bench. There's only 2 things I appreciate in the coaching change from Rambis. One that he's pushed Porzingis to develop more than spotting up and settling for that. The other is his moving Afflalo to the 6th man/bench role. Much more appropriate for his talent level.

Way I see it right now is that we need someone that fits in at 2 guard to replace Sasha. Sasha has shown what a shooter who defends can do for the team. He isn't even a good shooter or a good defender but his effort and willingness to step in and take those shots are always there as are his efforts on defense. If Grant improves, Wroten is taken on as a project, we've got athleticism and guards that can get into the paint there. I agree with you Martin that a free agent upgrade at one of the guard spots would go a big way, but who is that free agent? Hard for me to pinpoint that player.

In 16 games Sasha has started, I believe the Knicks are 8-8. Pretty crazy how a player who doesn't shoot, drive, or do anything all that well but fill in the role in the offense very well can make it seem as if there's no net loss with starting him. Makes one think what we would like with a player doing what Sasha is with actual skill level to make 3's, open shots and defend. Evan Turner isn't that player though. He's not a good 3 point shooter. If we sign Turner, I like him for the bench, as an upgrade to Galloway. Galloway has struggled as the season has progressed and I don't trust his ballhandling or decision making. Good spot up guy that can drive to the basket. Not a reliable ballhandler/decision maker.

Next year I'd like Jose/Grant to split minutes at point guard. Irrelevant who starts, just split the minutes. For that to happen Grant has to shoot the ball well, like he has in the post all-star break. And keep getting into the paint, look for those drives. IF, and that's a big IF we can trust Grant to bring that on a nightly game to game basis, we can probably go all in on spending on a starting 2 guard. Fournier? Although he is a restricted free agent. A name doesn't pop up to me who does the following things well - shoot the 3, defend, athletic, in his prime. Batum would really help on many levels. Don't see why Charlotte wouldn't keep him.

After that you're looking at getting guys on the Afflalo level of last year. There's Bayless (Grant would play 2 in this scenario). OJ Mayo. Courtney Lee. I think odds are higher we wind up with a player of this category in free agency than a Fournier or even Batum.

Interesting point about the knicks being better with sasha but is that because of sasha or because of how terrible the guy he is replacing is?

so here is what phil is thinking ....
mreinman
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #3189

3/25/2016  2:04 PM
martin wrote:

good stuff.

It's out of left field and realistically has no probability of happening, but DeMar DeRozan has been on my mind (objectively I know relatively little about his actual game). This is where Phil gotta step up to the plate and flash is bling Pat Riley style. Tell DeMar that he can be elevated to Kobe, Jordan level within the triangle. Convince DeRozan that he can also persuade Westbrook the next year.

Obviously a lot of nearly insurmountable obstacles but one can dream.

Derozen is my wildcard and have been thinking about him as well. You never know about canadian team players. He may just want to be in the states and be on a NY type stage.

Your point about Phil convincing him that he can make him the next kobe(ish) type of player is a great one and perhaps even true. Derozen is super super talented but needs to be taught how to play the right way. Also funny that Lowe called him Mini-Melo which is so spot on and how ironic that phil has changed the way melo plays and the way he thinks as a player.

so here is what phil is thinking ....
jrodmc
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #805
USA
3/25/2016  3:23 PM
dk7th wrote:
Malcolm wrote:So . . . who predicted 34 wins for the Knicks (?)

i did, and i gave my reasoning behind my prediction in detail at the beginning of the season, but being anything close to right doesn't earn props around here.

Actually, I've given you props for your predictions (especially what you had on the high side) and a few of your post-game analysis threads.

Stop whining.

jrodmc
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #805
USA
3/25/2016  3:26 PM
martin wrote:
newyorker4ever wrote:I still can't figure out why KOQ just all of the sudden lost all of his minutes to Seraphin?? KOQ wasn't playing bad at all, he wasn't playing great but he was doing some good things. Anyone here anything on why he got benched for Seraphin??

my purely uninformed guess, could be one of these or a combo or none:

- KOQ has been underwhelming on court and in practice
- Seraphin been doing OK in practice
- Seraphin doesn't have a contract for next year and the staff is doing him a solid by giving him minutes.

hey, martin. We need some sort of MSG mole to get us auto-downloads of tapes of practice, shootarounds, film sessions, etc that would then be UK-only thread material.

Could you ask the intern to work on it, since the thread search function seems to have slipped off the rails?

martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
3/25/2016  3:27 PM
jrodmc wrote:
martin wrote:
newyorker4ever wrote:I still can't figure out why KOQ just all of the sudden lost all of his minutes to Seraphin?? KOQ wasn't playing bad at all, he wasn't playing great but he was doing some good things. Anyone here anything on why he got benched for Seraphin??

my purely uninformed guess, could be one of these or a combo or none:

- KOQ has been underwhelming on court and in practice
- Seraphin been doing OK in practice
- Seraphin doesn't have a contract for next year and the staff is doing him a solid by giving him minutes.

hey, martin. We need some sort of MSG mole to get us auto-downloads of tapes of practice, shootarounds, film sessions, etc that would then be UK-only thread material.

Could you ask the intern to work on it, since the thread search function seems to have slipped off the rails?

intern been in the truck so long we can't find him

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
Chicago, MSG time

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy