[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

We signed Tony Wroten to 3 year contract...
Author Thread
nixluva
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #758
USA
3/7/2016  1:46 PM
knicks1248 wrote:
Moonangie wrote:
nyk4ever wrote:some career numbers in regards to wroten...
fg%: 41%
3pt fg: 23%
a/to: 3/2.6

these are horrid numbers...

Hmm, scary bad, especially for a pg

jump shooting team that signs a guy who couldn't shoot a jumper if his kids life depended on it.

Phil, please explain WTF your thinking.

Perhaps you've answered your own question. We NEED more speed, breakdown ability and athletic ability at guard. Wroten is a guard that is nearly impossible to stay in front of. With all the other things going on on the floor no team will be able to stop him. You can't guard Melo, RoLo, KP and also focus on Wroten constantly attacking.

Right now there's no fear of our guards going full court or getting to the rim and finishing off of Dribble Hand Off's or just simply breaking his man down. He doesn't need a PnR in order to get to the rim!!!

AUTOADVERT
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

3/7/2016  1:49 PM
knicks1248 wrote:
Moonangie wrote:

jump shooting team that signs a guy who couldn't shoot a jumper if his kids life depended on it.

Yeah right we should have just signed Jimmer so I can pretend he's shooting jizz down my throat every time he chucks up a three pointer

Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
nyk4ever
Alba Posts: 12
Member: #848
USA
3/7/2016  1:50 PM
nixluva wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
Moonangie wrote:

Perhaps you've answered your own question. We NEED more speed, breakdown ability and athletic ability at guard. Wroten is a guard that is nearly impossible to stay in front of. With all the other things going on on the floor no team will be able to stop him. You can't guard Melo, RoLo, KP and also focus on Wroten constantly attacking.

Right now there's no fear of our guards going full court or getting to the rim and finishing off of Dribble Hand Off's or just simply breaking his man down. He doesn't need a PnR in order to get to the rim!!!

wow, talk about exaggeration. no team will be able to stop him? if he's THAT good, why did A) the sixers cut him and B) no one else pick him up?

if he was that good, some team would have overpaid for him already.

"OMG - did we just go on a two-trade-wining-streak?" -SupremeCommander
WaltLongmire
Member: #5843

3/7/2016  2:04 PM    LAST EDITED: 3/7/2016  2:05 PM
Just find it strange that he has not been seen playing since Philly, and he was not too impressive in the game I saw him play against the Knicks.

They let him go after MDA came on...NO? Tells me what they thought about him fitting into the kind of offense that is the predominant system in the NBA right now. (Of course we don't run that offense.)

Memphis also let him go pretty quickly, thought I don't know the circumstances.

I would assume that the Knicks worked him out and put him through the proper tests before signing him. Hopefully we give him one of those Hinkie-type contracts where nothing is guaranteed even though it is for multiple years.

Have to think that Frazier's size and D was a turnoff, although he's the type of playmaker/ball handler we all think the team needs.

Wroten has legit SG size and strength, but he has always had turnover issues...including in college, his 3pt shooting has always been poor (16% in college!), and he's only had one season where he was over 70% from the FT line.

Pretty surprised at this signing.

Quite willing to give Wroten the benefit of the doubt, but this is one player I'm going to be be quite critical of if he plays like another Sasha, and his turnovers and outside shooting are at his historical averages.

Hope I'm wrong about this guy.

EnySpree: Can we agree to agree not to mention Phil Jackson and triangle for the rest of our lives?
mreinman
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #3189

3/7/2016  2:08 PM
WaltLongmire wrote:Just find it strange that he has not been seen playing since Philly, and he was not too impressive in the game I saw him play against the Knicks.

They let him go after MDA came on...NO? Tells me what they thought about him fitting into the kind of offense that is the predominant system in the NBA right now. (Of course we don't run that offense.)

I would assume that the Knicks worked him out and put him through the proper tests before signing him. Hopefully we give him one of those Hinkie-type contracts where nothing is guaranteed even though it is for multiple years.

Have to think that Frazier's size and D was a turnoff, although he's the type of playmaker/ball handler we all think the team needs.

Wroten has legit SG size and strength, but he has always had turnover issues...including in college, his 3pt shooting has always been poor (16% in college!), and he's only had one season where he was over 70% from the FT line.

Quite willing to give Wroten the benefit of the doubt, but this is one player I'm going to be be quite critical of if he plays like another Sasha, and his turnovers and outside shooting are at his historical averages.

me too.

good post.

so here is what phil is thinking ....
Finestrg
Member: #1069

3/7/2016  2:09 PM    LAST EDITED: 3/7/2016  2:09 PM
Ron makes a good point about Wroten -- maybe he doesn't play much after all the rest of this year, who knows. Might still need some recovery time. Maybe they made this move with next season and beyond in mind. No problem--if that's the case and he doesn't play much because they want him to continue rehabbing, just tell us that! Don't keep us in the dark.

I doubt a press conference but any kind of public address about this move forthcoming? Haven't heard from uncle Phil in a while. I'd settle for a detailed press release. Fill in the blanks for us -- what lead to the move, why didn't it get done back in Dec/Jan when there was mutual interest, where's Tony at now physically and what's the plan for the rest of this year/next year.

yellowboy90
Member: #3538

3/7/2016  2:10 PM    LAST EDITED: 3/7/2016  2:28 PM
This is just the NBA FA version of a lotto ticket. If he doesn't pan out then fine but if he does you have a rotation player locked up in a minimal deal while the cap explodes plus you'll have his bird rights with a small cap hold in year 3.

They need to cut Sasha, Lou, and/or Seraphin then sign Christian Wood to a similar deal

nixluva
USA
3/7/2016  2:12 PM
nyk4ever wrote:
nixluva wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
Moonangie wrote:

wow, talk about exaggeration. no team will be able to stop him? if he's THAT good, why did A) the sixers cut him and B) no one else pick him up?

if he was that good, some team would have overpaid for him already.

Do the Sixers have Melo, KP and RoLo? Do they run the Triangle? Did they run Pinch Post with Wroten?

It's not an exaggeration. If he's on the floor with our best players as I wrote, there's no way that a team will be able to focus on stopping him! It's exactly what happened with Schved. Perhaps you aren't looking at this the way it actually works out in this offense.

In the Pinch Post you have a 2 man game on one side and an overload on the other. If you put a very quick, breakdown guard on the 2 Man Side of the floor in the Pinch Post, there's no way to give help against him without leaving gaping holes in your D. If they do come to help it will leave someone open. That's how it's worked for decades and it still works.

NYKBocker
Alba Posts: 474
Member: #377
USA
3/7/2016  2:15 PM
mreinman wrote:
franco12 wrote:
mreinman wrote:
EnySpree wrote:
NYKBocker wrote:
GoNyGoNyGo wrote:

I like it. He plays like a left handed Jeremy Lin and Alexey Shved.

It angers me that people can see this highlight and still say this guy isn't worth it. If he did half the stuff in this highlight he still would be the best guard we've had since Feltons first stint with the Knicks

highlights are so 80's. Have not learned from things like this how not to gauge players?

I looked for a comparable video of Calderon highlights from this year. I couldn't find it.

that argument will help you ace the LSATs.

Just curious. How would you judge a players capability other than highlights? You can watch game film but that is not available to us fans. So other than these highlight films and statistics what else is there?

Swishfm3
Member: #392
3/7/2016  2:25 PM
nyk4ever wrote:not really excited about signing a guy who has been a free-agent since december 24th. that's almost 3 months and not one other team signed him.

this

Some folks just want change for the sake of it.

nixluva
USA
3/7/2016  2:26 PM
NYKBocker wrote:
mreinman wrote:
franco12 wrote:
mreinman wrote:
EnySpree wrote:
NYKBocker wrote:
GoNyGoNyGo wrote:

It angers me that people can see this highlight and still say this guy isn't worth it. If he did half the stuff in this highlight he still would be the best guard we've had since Feltons first stint with the Knicks

highlights are so 80's. Have not learned from things like this how not to gauge players?

I looked for a comparable video of Calderon highlights from this year. I couldn't find it.

Just curious. How would you judge a players capability other than highlights? You can watch game film but that is not available to us fans. So other than these highlight films and statistics what else is there?

A couple of games from last year:

fishmike
Member: #298
USA
3/7/2016  2:40 PM
this guy might end up being really good. He might end up being nothing at all. Nobody can pretend to predict now, its just throwing poop at the wall and seeing what sticks. he brings size, hops and one really sick handle to the table. He's got some huge holes in his game as mentioned above. If he didnt have huge holes he would not be available for the Knicks to sign.

Except Briggs who will use this as an example of Phil's hatred of small guards, this signing means nothing. He's just a guy the Knicks want to look at. Maybe he works out. Maybe he's gone by next year.

My prediction is 12 pages.

"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
mreinman

3/7/2016  2:43 PM
NYKBocker wrote:
mreinman wrote:
franco12 wrote:
mreinman wrote:
EnySpree wrote:
NYKBocker wrote:
GoNyGoNyGo wrote:

I would start with stats, injury history, team history, win history, how is he playing now? how did he do for his last team? Who was his last team and why did they let him go? Are they doing better or worse without him? Did he elevate the players around him? etc ...

the last thing I would check is a youtube clip.

mreinman

3/7/2016  2:43 PM
fishmike wrote:this guy might end up being really good. He might end up being nothing at all. Nobody can pretend to predict now, its just throwing poop at the wall and seeing what sticks. he brings size, hops and one really sick handle to the table. He's got some huge holes in his game as mentioned above. If he didnt have huge holes he would not be available for the Knicks to sign.

Except Briggs who will use this as an example of Phil's hatred of small guards, this signing means nothing. He's just a guy the Knicks want to look at. Maybe he works out. Maybe he's gone by next year.

nixluva will not let this die before 25 pages.

crzymdups
Member: #671
USA
3/7/2016  2:47 PM
knicks1248 wrote:
Moonangie wrote:

he's 22 years old. and played on some terrible teams with no structure. Maybe he can be coached. He's far from a finished product.

¿ △ ?
fishmike
USA
3/7/2016  2:47 PM
mreinman wrote:
fishmike wrote:this guy might end up being really good. He might end up being nothing at all. Nobody can pretend to predict now, its just throwing poop at the wall and seeing what sticks. he brings size, hops and one really sick handle to the table. He's got some huge holes in his game as mentioned above. If he didnt have huge holes he would not be available for the Knicks to sign.

nixluva will not let this die before 25 pages.

maybe take a page from ronron and put all 25 pages into one post?
nixluva
USA
3/7/2016  2:49 PM

Hey what else is there to talk about.

IMO this is a good thing for this team. We lack athleticism and speed at guard and he's also big and aggressive as well. Dude was starting for the Sixers last year and doing well, before the injury. We can't be so blind as to not see this kid and think we have NO ONE even close to his talent at guard. IMO if he's healthy and coached up I think he can help this team. He had a bunch of games that none of our guards have had.

NO RISK. HIGH REWARD!

blkexec
Member: #748
3/7/2016  2:49 PM

It's going to be way less than 12.....

But I think his major hole was his injury and the type of injury, which can end a career. But at 22, he has time on his side to recover. And we probably got him at the right time, while he's motivated and mad at all the other teams who left him on the shelf. I like his ability to get to the rim and unselfish vision with his passing skills. His defense is a bonus. Seems like the perfect tall PG for Phils triangle offense. We still need a proven NBA PG as a starter, but he's a perfect backup guard to have....Especially if they want to include Grant in some trade package. They seem to be redundant.

Born in Brooklyn, Raised in Queens, Lives in Maryland. The future is bright, I'm a Knicks fan for life!
crzymdups
Member: #671
USA
3/7/2016  2:52 PM
WaltLongmire wrote:Just find it strange that he has not been seen playing since Philly, and he was not too impressive in the game I saw him play against the Knicks.

Not sure how he'll recover from the knee injury, but he had tier 1 athleticism. He also can see the floor well as a passer and as a cutter. He's got good game IQ.

I think he's a smart player. And wildly athletic. Cutting down turnovers can be learned. Shooting can be worked on and improved.

I don't think I saw him play the Knicks this year, but the previous two years I saw him play quite a bit for Philly and was always very impressed. In those times I saw him play, I thought we looked better and like the headier PG than Michael Carter Williams. I have a friend who is a die hard Sixers fan who always wanted Wroten starting over MCW.

¿ △ ?
fishmike
USA
3/7/2016  2:52 PM
crzymdups wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
Moonangie wrote:

he's 22 years old. and played on some terrible teams with no structure. Maybe he can be coached. He's far from a finished product.

and is a high end athlete by NBA standards (assuming the knee returns to 100% and ACLs usually do). Forget about the Linsanity aspect, but look at him, a guy who has been passed up a couple of times but can obviously play. Not a star but a good NBA player. No reason Wroten cant be a story like that, also no reason to suggest he will be.

If he dominates summer league thats at least something to chat about. Now? Eh..

We signed Tony Wroten to 3 year contract...

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy