[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

We signed Tony Wroten to 3 year contract...
Author Thread
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
3/7/2016  1:10 PM    LAST EDITED: 3/7/2016  1:11 PM
Darn. I'm available and I have a higher career NBA win shares total than he does!
http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/w/wroteto01.html
AUTOADVERT
mreinman
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #3189

3/7/2016  1:11 PM
nyk4ever wrote:some career numbers in regards to wroten...
fg%: 41%
3pt fg: 23%
a/to: 3/2.6

these are horrid numbers...

yeah! I'm pumped! Finally a savior!

so here is what phil is thinking ....
mreinman

3/7/2016  1:14 PM
Bonn1997 wrote:Darn. I'm available and I have a higher career NBA win shares total than he does!
http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/w/wroteto01.html

stop killing the party. This is a great day for us desperado's.

GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

3/7/2016  1:16 PM
Haven't seen enough of Wroten to comment on anything other than the fact that we now have more options in the backcourt, maybe push the guards we have to make the most of their minutes.
Finestrg
Member: #1069

3/7/2016  1:17 PM    LAST EDITED: 3/7/2016  1:25 PM
Nice. I like it. A little concerned about his health, how that knee is and if he'll ever get back to 100%. Hey, hopefully man--he's only 22. Shumpert made it back--Shump also worked on becoming a much better shooter from his college days too (point is I feel good about Wroten becoming a better shooter if he puts the work in). Weird--how does Philly give up on this dude? You can find an Ish Smith anywhere, no? I'd love to have been a fly on the wall when they decided to cut Wroten. Hey, whatever, right? Under the bridge. WELCOME TO NY, TONY!! How can you knock this move? Big, young (nothing but time on his side as far as recovery goes), talented, versatile, a lot of upside, team friendly deal.. This was a long time coming--some kind of infusion of young/zero risk talent. If he fails, we simply walk away. No harm, no foul. Like it never happened. But what if it does work? Think of the possibilities--and to have control of him for at least 2 more yrs at a nominal cost.. These are the best types of players for us to investigate right now. Sure as hell beats seeing the same old dreck being run out there game after game. I want him in the lineup ASAP! I don't wanna hear too much about how he's not gonna displace the other guards, he needs more triangle practice time etc...That's all a pile of BS. This kid's a baller--let him learn on the fly, trial by fire. This season's over as far as playoffs--give us a reason to watch these games now. After we made the Shved trade, Fish seemed hesitant to throw him in there at first but once he started playing regularly (and it was only after a couple of games after we acquired him), he took off, seized the moment and showed his worth. I wanna see the same thing here. Don't be gun shy. Get him in there right away.

I'd say about 99.9% not gonna happen, but I'd LOVE to see a 2nd follow up move--trim either a Sasha Vujacic or Lou Amundson and add Ray McCallum now. Get greedy, Phil.

callmened
Member: #4234

3/7/2016  1:20 PM
Finestrg wrote:Nice. I like it. A little concerned about his health, how that knee is and if he'll ever get back to 100%. Hopefully, man--he's only 22. Shumpert made it back--Shump also worked on becoming a much better shooter from his college days too (point is I feel good about Wroten becoming a better shooter if he puts the work in). Weird--how does Philly give up on this dude? You can find an Ish Smith anywhere, no? I'd love to have been a fly on the wall when they decided to cut Wroten. Hey, whatever, right? Under the bridge. WELCOME TO NY, TONY!! How can you knock this move? Big, young (nothing but time on his side as far as recovery goes), talented, versatile, a lot of upside, team friendly deal.. This was a long time coming--some kind of infusion of young/zero risk talent. If he fails, we simply walk away. No harm, no foul. Like it never happened. But what if it does work? Think of the possibilities--and to have control of him for at least 2 more yrs at a nominal cost.. These are the best types of players for us to investigate right now. Sure as hell beats seeing the same old dreck being run out there game after game. I want him in the lineup ASAP! I don't wanna hear too much about how he's not gonna displace the other guards, he needs more triangle practice time etc...That's all a pile of BS. This kid's a baller--let him learn on the fly, trial by fire. This season's over as far as playoffs--give us a reason to watch these games now. After we made the Shved trade, Fish seemed hesitant to throw him in there at first but once he started playing regularly (and it was only after a couple of games after we acquired him), he took off, seized the moment and showed his worth. I wanna see the same thing here. Don't be gun shy. Get him in there right away.

I'd say about 99.9% not gonna happen, but I'd LOVE to see a 2nd follow up move--trim either a Sasha Vujacic or Lou Amundson and add Ray McCallum now. Get greedy, Phil.

lol. i agree but only if the knee is OK. theres a reason philly cut him (colangelo knows what hes doing), and theres also a reason he didnt play in the D League. his healthy is paramount at this point. after that, lets see if he can play ball

Knicks should be improved: win about 40 games and maybe sneak into the playoffs. Melo, Rose and even Noah will have some nice moments however this team should be about PORZINGUS. the sooner they make him the primary player, the better
Finestrg

3/7/2016  1:24 PM
callmened wrote:
Finestrg wrote:Nice. I like it. A little concerned about his health, how that knee is and if he'll ever get back to 100%. Hopefully, man--he's only 22. Shumpert made it back--Shump also worked on becoming a much better shooter from his college days too (point is I feel good about Wroten becoming a better shooter if he puts the work in). Weird--how does Philly give up on this dude? You can find an Ish Smith anywhere, no? I'd love to have been a fly on the wall when they decided to cut Wroten. Hey, whatever, right? Under the bridge. WELCOME TO NY, TONY!! How can you knock this move? Big, young (nothing but time on his side as far as recovery goes), talented, versatile, a lot of upside, team friendly deal.. This was a long time coming--some kind of infusion of young/zero risk talent. If he fails, we simply walk away. No harm, no foul. Like it never happened. But what if it does work? Think of the possibilities--and to have control of him for at least 2 more yrs at a nominal cost.. These are the best types of players for us to investigate right now. Sure as hell beats seeing the same old dreck being run out there game after game. I want him in the lineup ASAP! I don't wanna hear too much about how he's not gonna displace the other guards, he needs more triangle practice time etc...That's all a pile of BS. This kid's a baller--let him learn on the fly, trial by fire. This season's over as far as playoffs--give us a reason to watch these games now. After we made the Shved trade, Fish seemed hesitant to throw him in there at first but once he started playing regularly (and it was only after a couple of games after we acquired him), he took off, seized the moment and showed his worth. I wanna see the same thing here. Don't be gun shy. Get him in there right away.

lol. i agree but only if the knee is OK. theres a reason philly cut him (colangelo knows what hes doing), and theres also a reason he didnt play in the D League. his healthy is paramount at this point. after that, lets see if he can play ball

Yeah, there's a little mystery here--his health/why he hasn't been playing somewhere, no doubt, but all in all, a good move. An attempt to try to get better. If it doesn't work out, we don't get hurt and walk away. If it does work out, we're all happy in a big way.

EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

3/7/2016  1:25 PM
NYKBocker wrote:
GoNyGoNyGo wrote:

I like it. He plays like a left handed Jeremy Lin and Alexey Shved.

It angers me that people can see this highlight and still say this guy isn't worth it. If he did half the stuff in this highlight he still would be the best guard we've had since Feltons first stint with the Knicks

Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
Moonangie
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #2788

3/7/2016  1:26 PM

Hmm, scary bad, especially for a pg

mreinman

3/7/2016  1:26 PM
EnySpree wrote:
NYKBocker wrote:
GoNyGoNyGo wrote:

It angers me that people can see this highlight and still say this guy isn't worth it. If he did half the stuff in this highlight he still would be the best guard we've had since Feltons first stint with the Knicks

highlights are so 80's. Have not learned from things like this how not to gauge players?

nixluva
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #758
USA
3/7/2016  1:29 PM
EnySpree wrote:
nixluva wrote:
Knixkik wrote:Nothing to get excited about. I am not a fan of guards who can't shoot at all. But maybe he can become a solid end-of-rotation type player, you never know.

It's an issue but not that much of one IMO. He's SO GOOD at pushing the ball and attacking in the halfcourt that it can make up for some of that lack of shooting. A lot of great breakdown PG's start off as poor shooters since they never really had to rely on it. He's only 22 so it's not like he has no shot to improve his jumper. The list of PG's that came in as poor shooters but improved is LONG. Just hope that happens for Wroten.

Think of him as an additional draft pick that needs to be developed!

This is why I get so mad around here. Guys want a point guard but don't want Wroten because "he can't shoot" yeah but ignore the fact the dude put up 16/5/5 against nba talent. A point guards job is not to chuck 3pts at half court like Curry or score 50 points and drop 30 a bunch of times on a row like Lillard. They ate supposed to distribute the ball and organize the rest of the team. They are supposed to make stuff happen when the play is broken.

Now back to Nixluva point.... we want Jose to push the ball and get to the basket. Wroten will do that easily. Whrn he does, the entire offense opens up. You saw that with Alexey Shved who I also thought would make an impact for us. Wroten essentially is the black Alexey Shved. Let that marinate and rejoice

also guys want to open up the triangle a do other things sometimes. You can't do that with Jose and Galloway. You can with Tony Wroten. If the guy sticks, watch some of you guys say "see I told you if they got away from the triangle what would happen".... no it would be because we have a dynamic point guard who can actually execute outside of the triangle

Just for the Naysayers that will surely come... We are not saying wroten is basketball JESUS! Not saying he can walk on water and turn the Knicks into a great team. He is a young raw talent that could add what has been SORELY missing from this team at guard.

He's not perfect but then if he was we wouldn't have a shot to add him. He needs to be coached up but that is just fine. He's still young with plenty of upside. Already he'd be the most talented guard we have.

franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
3/7/2016  1:30 PM
mreinman wrote:
EnySpree wrote:
NYKBocker wrote:
GoNyGoNyGo wrote:

highlights are so 80's. Have not learned from things like this how not to gauge players?

I looked for a comparable video of Calderon highlights from this year. I couldn't find it.

Moonangie

3/7/2016  1:33 PM
EnySpree wrote:
crzymdups wrote:
EnySpree wrote:
nyk4ever wrote:not really excited about signing a guy who has been a free-agent since december 24th. that's almost 3 months and not one other team signed him.

He wanted ti sign with the Knicks. I posted before that he thought he was signed twice by the Knicks and posted it in twitter but deleted it right away. I think he gave the Knicks the opportunity to see if they could make a trade and give Grant and Ferdette a chance.

For the Knicks part, I have a feeling they were waiting to see how the Lawson situation played out.

May have also been waiting on medical reports. Again, Howard Beck is reporting Wroten won't play this season.

Yeah they were waiting to see who they can get during buyout season too. It's a great opportunity for us I don't think we will be able to upgrade on the free agent market during the summer.

the biggest plus for us fans is we might have 2 very good players in Grant and Wroten. Both are 22 and 23 respectively. They both are 6'5" and 6'6".... the potential there is something to get really excited for

Totally agree with this. It's a smart "Phil-like" move - low risk, high potential reward. 6'6"? Hope we get to see something this season, but we've got two young backup guards in the fold. Now we just need RW in 2017.

mreinman

3/7/2016  1:34 PM
franco12 wrote:
mreinman wrote:
EnySpree wrote:
NYKBocker wrote:
GoNyGoNyGo wrote:

I looked for a comparable video of Calderon highlights from this year. I couldn't find it.

that argument will help you ace the LSATs.

RonRon
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #246
3/7/2016  1:36 PM
Finally, we might as well add Ray Mccallum as well
Wroten is a gamble but a STEAL if he can recover and get back to his strengths prior to his injury
A combo guard that has great size, great speed/quickness, with a sick handle/ability to penetrate and finish through contact, standing at 6-6 and also can provide many steals and push pace consistently

only if we can get a 2nd year deal, I wouldn't want just a 1 year deal like we had with Shved...
Ray Mcccallum gets a chance to play more THIS YEAR while WRoten is signed for our future as he recovers

For an extra roster spot, cut Early maybe even Amundson or S. Vujacic (though I don't think he is nearly as bad as some people say, he actually knows the system very well and knows how to execute it, pushes pace, hustles on DEFENSE, and does many correct things for the Triangle but lacks talent, Vujacic is our Lou Amundson this year for the Triangle, and would not be surprised if we brought him back)

At this point, does anyone see a future or any sort of value in keeping Cleanthony Early?

During the draft, I wanted Jovic, who was drafted AFTER Early by Denver and was compared to a YOUNGER Vuvevic (but with 3pt range) and has been very impressive with rookie Myles Turner and Alex Len (his 3rd year)

The 2 2nd rounders that we got for the Calderon/Chandler and Felton swap so far has been BUSTS
Though I still have think Thanasis can develop just as Ariza took much time to do so with the Lakers and build that confidence
Ariza had no 3pt shot at all, but with Gasol/Odom in addition to The Triangle, he learned how to fully utilize his length/athleticism and develop a 3pt shot (first baseline) as well as great cuts, and apply his DEFENSIVE abilities with the rest of the team for rebounds/transition, and playing as the 4th/5th option but was capable of scoring more than the TOP 3 option at times (as Gasol/Odom were the first 2 option off the bench at times)

Losing our draft pick this year REALLY HURTS, for AB in a trade
Denver would have had our draft pick but we would have had theirs from the CA trade

With the way David Lee has been playing, it is unlikely that we are able to sign him without overpaying for his services...
I would have loved for him to take Seraphin's spot and could be utilized similar to how Odom was utilized as a point/forward/ or point Center, especially if we can lure Luke Walton over with some prior and current GS players
Lets admit that EVERY team/player and GM wants to be able to play like GS
it would help us attract future talents over to us as well

So lets give Luke Walton a contract that he can not refuse instead of the way we treated Steve Kerr
Of course we want an IMMEDIATE answer without giving him another team a chance to steal him away, in the range of 7-8m per year on a multi year contract
I see Lakers as a threat and may also want Whiteside as well

If we can move Robin Lopez, with the way he is playing and the way contracts are going up, we may be able to move him without taking on contracts and draft picks
I still believe CA plays his best at PF and the combination of CA, KP, Robin Lopez is just too slow and poor spacing

knicks1248
Member: #582
3/7/2016  1:38 PM
Moonangie wrote:

Hmm, scary bad, especially for a pg

jump shooting team that signs a guy who couldn't shoot a jumper if his kids life depended on it.

Phil, please explain WTF your thinking.

ES
Moonangie

3/7/2016  1:39 PM
nixluva wrote:
Knixkik wrote:Nothing to get excited about. I am not a fan of guards who can't shoot at all. But maybe he can become a solid end-of-rotation type player, you never know.

It's an issue but not that much of one IMO. He's SO GOOD at pushing the ball and attacking in the halfcourt that it can make up for some of that lack of shooting. A lot of great breakdown PG's start off as poor shooters since they never really had to rely on it. He's only 22 so it's not like he has no shot to improve his jumper. The list of PG's that came in as poor shooters but improved is LONG. Just hope that happens for Wroten.

JWall was an awful shooter his rookie year. He's pretty damn good at it now. Now a major concern if we have landed ourselves a rim-attacking, solid defending 1. Shooting can be "fixed".

Finestrg

3/7/2016  1:40 PM
RonRon wrote:Finally, we might as well add Ray Mccallum as well
Wroten is a gamble but a STEAL if he can recover and get back to his strengths prior to his injury
A combo guard that has great size, great speed/quickness, with a sick handle/ability to penetrate and finish through contact, standing at 6-6 and also can provide many steals and push pace consistently

only if we can get a 2nd year deal, I wouldn't want just a 1 year deal like we had with Shved...
Ray Mcccallum gets a chance to play more THIS YEAR while WRoten is signed for our future as he recovers

For an extra roster spot, cut Early maybe even Amundson or S. Vujacic (though I don't think he is nearly as bad as some people say, he actually knows the system very well and knows how to execute it, pushes pace, hustles on DEFENSE, and does many correct things for the Triangle but lacks talent, Vujacic is our Lou Amundson this year for the Triangle, and would not be surprised if we brought him back)

At this point, does anyone see a future or any sort of value in keeping Cleanthony Early?

During the draft, I wanted Jovic, who was drafted AFTER Early by Denver and was compared to a YOUNGER Vuvevic (but with 3pt range) and has been very impressive with rookie Myles Turner and Alex Len (his 3rd year)

The 2 2nd rounders that we got for the Calderon/Chandler and Felton swap so far has been BUSTS
Though I still have think Thanasis can develop just as Ariza took much time to do so with the Lakers and build that confidence
Ariza had no 3pt shot at all, but with Gasol/Odom in addition to The Triangle, he learned how to fully utilize his length/athleticism and develop a 3pt shot (first baseline) as well as great cuts, and apply his DEFENSIVE abilities with the rest of the team for rebounds/transition, and playing as the 4th/5th option but was capable of scoring more than the TOP 3 option at times (as Gasol/Odom were the first 2 option off the bench at times)

Denver would have had our draft pick but we would have had theirs from the CA trade

With the way David Lee has been playing, it is unlikely that we are able to sign him without overpaying for his services...
I would have loved for him to take Seraphin's spot and could be utilized similar to how Odom was utilized as a point/forward/ or point Center, especially if we can lure Luke Walton over with some prior and current GS players

So lets give Luke Walton a contract that he can not refuse instead of the way we treated Steve Kerr
Of course we want an IMMEDIATE answer without giving him another team a chance to steal him away, in the range of 7-8m per year on a multi year contract

If we can move Robin Lopez, with the way he is playing and the way contracts are going up, we may be able to move him without taking on contracts and draft picks
I still believe CA plays his best at PF and the combination of CA, KP, Robin Lopez is just too slow and poor spacing

Hey, brother! Haven't seen you post in awhile. Hope everything's well. We got your guy--I know you were always high on Wroten. Agree with you on McCallum.

mreinman

3/7/2016  1:42 PM
Moonangie wrote:
nixluva wrote:

JWall was an awful shooter his rookie year. He's pretty damn good at it now. Now a major concern if we have landed ourselves a rim-attacking, solid defending 1. Shooting can be "fixed".

JWall is still not a good shooter and the "shooting can be fixed" argument that we keep using does not work. Most players who can't shoot at this point have a very hard time changing that.

Moonangie

3/7/2016  1:43 PM
RonRon wrote:Finally, we might as well add Ray Mccallum as well

I have a soft spot for Early b/c my son plays on the same AAU squad he did back in the day. That said, we can't wait forevs.

We signed Tony Wroten to 3 year contract...

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy