[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

We signed Tony Wroten to 3 year contract...
Author Thread
callmened
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #4234

3/7/2016  12:23 PM
crzymdups wrote:
callmened wrote:folks this is more of a training camp invite for next fall. nothing is guaranteed

Yup. So this thread will probably be like ten pages long by the end of the day...

ahahhhahahhhaah

Knicks should be improved: win about 40 games and maybe sneak into the playoffs. Melo, Rose and even Noah will have some nice moments however this team should be about PORZINGUS. the sooner they make him the primary player, the better
AUTOADVERT
callmened

3/7/2016  12:23 PM
nixluva wrote:
callmened wrote:folks this is more of a training camp invite for next fall. nothing is guaranteed

Hey i'll still take it. It's a smart move if he works out GREAT! If not, no harm done.

exactly. low risk,high reward

Knicks should be improved: win about 40 games and maybe sneak into the playoffs. Melo, Rose and even Noah will have some nice moments however this team should be about PORZINGUS. the sooner they make him the primary player, the better
GoNyGoNyGo
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #411
USA
3/7/2016  12:26 PM
blkexec
Member: #748
3/7/2016  12:28 PM
crzymdups wrote:

I got my first victim to fall on that move. Very dangerous if you can do it clean, at full speed. Nice!

If you notice, he added another crossover at the end for the wide open layup......Looks like the defender was all over the initial move, but wasn't expecting the crossover.....lol

Born in Brooklyn, Raised in Queens, Lives in Maryland. The future is bright, I'm a Knicks fan for life!
blkexec
Member: #748
3/7/2016  12:30 PM
Time to hit the gym today and see if that move still works on these young dudes.....
Born in Brooklyn, Raised in Queens, Lives in Maryland. The future is bright, I'm a Knicks fan for life!
SocraticBallin22
Member: #6096

3/7/2016  12:32 PM    LAST EDITED: 3/7/2016  12:35 PM
Just heard Begley on ESPN and he said the deal will be a 2 year, not a 3 year deal because they can't sign him to 3 years because of salary cap restrictions; however, year 2 is a non-guaranteed minimal contract. He said that he will join the team at some point in the West Coast trip and expects him to get playing time bc Knicks made a commitment with him unlike Jimmer and Thanassis. They want to see what they have for next year. Great news. Excited about watching him play. Him and Grant gives us a young, long, super athletic and quick backcourt.uu
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
3/7/2016  12:34 PM
crzymdups wrote:He's got a better handle than any guard we have, can get to the rim better than any guard we have. He's big, athletic. He could be a 1 or maybe he works on his three point shot and winds up being a nice 2 guard to play next to Grant. He's a great defender. He's 22. He averaged 16pts 5reb 5ast over a full NBA season at age 21. That's pretty good.

THis is the part I am most interested in. Is that Wroten's rep on D?

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
fishmike
Member: #298
USA
3/7/2016  12:37 PM
Is he as good as Jackie Butler? We have no pick this year, would be nice to pretend like now we do
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

3/7/2016  12:38 PM
martin wrote:
crzymdups wrote:He's got a better handle than any guard we have, can get to the rim better than any guard we have. He's big, athletic. He could be a 1 or maybe he works on his three point shot and winds up being a nice 2 guard to play next to Grant. He's a great defender. He's 22. He averaged 16pts 5reb 5ast over a full NBA season at age 21. That's pretty good.

In his highlightsthey show his defense too. He's an athletic defender. His problem is the same problem most young players suffer and that's falling asleep and losing sight of their man. I think this coaching staff will be all over that. Other than that, Wroten is a very solid defender.

Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
3/7/2016  12:41 PM
Nothing to get excited about. I am not a fan of guards who can't shoot at all. But maybe he can become a solid end-of-rotation type player, you never know.
crzymdups
Member: #671
USA
3/7/2016  12:45 PM
Berman saying Wroten won't join the team on the road trip... sounds like maybe after that?

¿ △ ?
nixluva
Member: #758
USA
3/7/2016  12:51 PM
Knixkik wrote:Nothing to get excited about. I am not a fan of guards who can't shoot at all. But maybe he can become a solid end-of-rotation type player, you never know.

It's an issue but not that much of one IMO. He's SO GOOD at pushing the ball and attacking in the halfcourt that it can make up for some of that lack of shooting. A lot of great breakdown PG's start off as poor shooters since they never really had to rely on it. He's only 22 so it's not like he has no shot to improve his jumper. The list of PG's that came in as poor shooters but improved is LONG. Just hope that happens for Wroten.

Think of him as an additional draft pick that needs to be developed!

martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
3/7/2016  12:55 PM
crzymdups wrote:Berman saying Wroten won't join the team on the road trip... sounds like maybe after that?

Early is headed to Westchester, I would send Wroten with him.

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
Malcolm
Member: #6131

3/7/2016  12:57 PM
nixluva wrote:. . . you have to look at a player's skills and talents and how they may not work for most systems but will work well in this system.
Always will be a two-edged sword for the Knicks.

Edge 1: Not a lot of players out there that are a good fit for the Triangle . . .

but . . .

Edge 2: Not a lot of teams competing for players that are a good fit for the Triangle . . .

HofstraBBall
Member: #6192

3/7/2016  1:00 PM
martin wrote:

Exactly. At 6'6" should be interesting. Believe we just got a bit better and more athletic. By how much? Ofcourse yet to be seen but at least its a step to try to address an obvious weakness.

'Knicks focus should be on players that have grown up playing soccer or cricket' - Triplethreat 8/28/2020
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

3/7/2016  1:01 PM
nixluva wrote:
Knixkik wrote:Nothing to get excited about. I am not a fan of guards who can't shoot at all. But maybe he can become a solid end-of-rotation type player, you never know.

It's an issue but not that much of one IMO. He's SO GOOD at pushing the ball and attacking in the halfcourt that it can make up for some of that lack of shooting. A lot of great breakdown PG's start off as poor shooters since they never really had to rely on it. He's only 22 so it's not like he has no shot to improve his jumper. The list of PG's that came in as poor shooters but improved is LONG. Just hope that happens for Wroten.

Think of him as an additional draft pick that needs to be developed!

This is why I get so mad around here. Guys want a point guard but don't want Wroten because "he can't shoot" yeah but ignore the fact the dude put up 16/5/5 against nba talent. A point guards job is not to chuck 3pts at half court like Curry or score 50 points and drop 30 a bunch of times on a row like Lillard. They ate supposed to distribute the ball and organize the rest of the team. They are supposed to make stuff happen when the play is broken.

Now back to Nixluva point.... we want Jose to push the ball and get to the basket. Wroten will do that easily. Whrn he does, the entire offense opens up. You saw that with Alexey Shved who I also thought would make an impact for us. Wroten essentially is the black Alexey Shved. Let that marinate and rejoice

also guys want to open up the triangle a do other things sometimes. You can't do that with Jose and Galloway. You can with Tony Wroten. If the guy sticks, watch some of you guys say "see I told you if they got away from the triangle what would happen".... no it would be because we have a dynamic point guard who can actually execute outside of the triangle

Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
3/7/2016  1:03 PM
I think this is a smart move/gamble. Low risk.

Hopefully he can work on his shot.

Sure, he put up big numbers on a bad team, but we're a bad team and no one in our back court is putting up similar numbers except AA and he might be gone next year.

I like the possibility of a long, defensive minded back court of Gallo, Grant & Wroten.

Still need talent, no question. This plugs a hole for next year.

callmened

3/7/2016  1:03 PM
"great defender"???? hmmm?

the only time i would use "great" and "tony wroten" in the same sentence is if i say - before he tore his ACL he used to have "great" athleticism

to me the best thing about wroten is that he's YOUNG. i dont feel like hes actually ever LEARNED how to play basketball. he has the basketball IQ of a bowling ball. hes a walking "AND1 mixtape" and to me thats not a good thing. picture JR smith playing PG but without JR's erratic shooting ability. at the peak of his powers, i was never impressed with wroten. but i always hoped or assumed that one day he would figure it out since hes so so young. thats the MAIN reason why i like this signing. its low risk and high reward. you take a kid with lots of ability but has probably been humbled by injuries. as a result you retrain him to play basketball the RIGHT way

nixluva
Member: #758
USA
3/7/2016  1:07 PM
Malcolm wrote:
nixluva wrote:. . . you have to look at a player's skills and talents and how they may not work for most systems but will work well in this system.
Always will be a two-edged sword for the Knicks.

Edge 1: Not a lot of players out there that are a good fit for the Triangle . . .

but . . .

Edge 2: Not a lot of teams competing for players that are a good fit for the Triangle . . .

Yeah that may be true. IMO at some point Phil has to find that Dynamic Big Guard to fill that role in this offense. Gotta be a combo guard that is more than just a SG like AA. They have to be able to pass the ball in addition to score the ball. That's the Jordan/Kobe role. Shved was the only guard we've had who came close to filling that role. Wroten could be very good in that role. He needs development but he's so young that it makes sense to take a flyer on him and see if he can fit.

I'd be very interested to see Wroten, Jerian, DWILL and KP out there together.

NYKBocker
Alba Posts: 474
Member: #377
USA
3/7/2016  1:10 PM
GoNyGoNyGo wrote:

I like it. He plays like a left handed Jeremy Lin and Alexey Shved.

We signed Tony Wroten to 3 year contract...

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy