[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

We signed Tony Wroten to 3 year contract...
Author Thread
newyorker4ever
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #5816

5/26/2016  12:11 PM
nixluva wrote:The best thing to happen to Tony Wroten is JH becoming the head coach. He's gonna look to MAXIMIZE the driving ability of both Wroten and Jerian. Both can get into the paint and that will help everyone else because of how good they are at running PnR and taking their man off the dribble. The shooting part is important but not as much as people think. Nevermind what a plus it would be if Phil adds even more guard and wing talent to the team. I can't WAIT for Summer League to see if these kids can get geared up and playing faster and look to take that into next season.

Grant and Wroten are both working on their shooting as well and it seemed to me like Grant was getting better as the season went on. Some of these kids can really get their shooting down if they put the work in and some can't so we'll see what happens but either way just having Hornacek will help both of them with all parts of their games so i'm ready to see some summer league as well and we're still in the playoffs from this season so it'll be a long wait.

AUTOADVERT
nixluva
Member: #758
USA
5/26/2016  12:17 PM
I think people tend to overlook Wroten's youth and who he was playing with. Philly was a terrible team back when he was actually playing. They also lacked the vet presence to help Wroten develop. Hopefully the fact that he was waived has humbled him enough to realize that he needs to work on his game. From everything we've heard he's doing just that.

I think it was a good thing for him to sit and watch and talk with Melo and others this season. He was around the team at practice and the coaches. He's talked about how everyone was getting in his ear about driving and kicking. I'm sure that he realizes that he has some real talent to pass to as opposed to when he was in Philly. I can't wait to see how he responds to JH's coaching.

StarksEwing1
Member: #4451

5/26/2016  12:25 PM
nixluva wrote:I think people tend to overlook Wroten's youth and who he was playing with. Philly was a terrible team back when he was actually playing. They also lacked the vet presence to help Wroten develop. Hopefully the fact that he was waived has humbled him enough to realize that he needs to work on his game. From everything we've heard he's doing just that.

I think it was a good thing for him to sit and watch and talk with Melo and others this season. He was around the team at practice and the coaches. He's talked about how everyone was getting in his ear about driving and kicking. I'm sure that he realizes that he has some real talent to pass to as opposed to when he was in Philly. I can't wait to see how he responds to JH's coaching.

ive always liked wroten. My only concern is him coming back from a serious injury. ACL injuries can be tricky.
nixluva
USA
5/26/2016  12:40 PM
StarksEwing1 wrote:
nixluva wrote:I think people tend to overlook Wroten's youth and who he was playing with. Philly was a terrible team back when he was actually playing. They also lacked the vet presence to help Wroten develop. Hopefully the fact that he was waived has humbled him enough to realize that he needs to work on his game. From everything we've heard he's doing just that.

ive always liked wroten. My only concern is him coming back from a serious injury. ACL injuries can be tricky.

There's always going to be some fear about his knee. I really don't focus on the Knee injury because the only real issue with that is risk to the team's cap situation. He's not a risk to the team's cap. I posted previously that 2nd ACL's fail at a rate of about 14%. Higher but not exactly a guarantee that it will fail. I'm focused on his game and what improvement he can make with the Knicks. Some people want Mike Conley and some want Brandon Jennings and so there is always an injury risk when it comes to guards.
StarksEwing1

5/26/2016  12:48 PM    LAST EDITED: 5/26/2016  12:50 PM
nixluva wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:

There's always going to be some fear about his knee. I really don't focus on the Knee injury because the only real issue with that is risk to the team's cap situation. He's not a risk to the team's cap. I posted previously that 2nd ACL's fail at a rate of about 14%. Higher but not exactly a guarantee that it will fail. I'm focused on his game and what improvement he can make with the Knicks. Some people want Mike Conley and some want Brandon Jennings and so there is always an injury risk when it comes to guards.
i didnt say it would fail, quite the opposite actually i think he will be good. However my teamate from college had a acl tear as a sophmore and when he finally came back as a senior he would tell me how difficult it was for him physically especially his great speed he had
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

5/26/2016  12:55 PM
This thread is 26 pages and counting because guys talk about Wroten like hes an undrafted rookie or as if he's 35 Yarra old and been a 12th man for 10 years.

Wroten is a 25th pick in the 1st round of the 2012 draft. He's only 23 years old. He averaged 16/5 before he tore his acl. He's not a guy that has to prove that he can play. He's already done that.

If your favorite player can tear their Achilles, acl, knee and ankle surgeries...and come back to being the sand player, then Tony Wroten can do it to. That's why this thread is so long.

Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
StarksEwing1

5/26/2016  12:57 PM
EnySpree wrote:This thread is 26 pages and counting because guys talk about Wroten like hes an undrafted rookie or as if he's 35 Yarra old and been a 12th man for 10 years.

Wroten is a 25th pick in the 1st round of the 2012 draft. He's only 23 years old. He averaged 16/5 before he tore his acl. He's not a guy that has to prove that he can play. He's already done that.

If your favorite player can tear their Achilles, acl, knee and ankle surgeries...and come back to being the sand player, then Tony Wroten can do it to. That's why this thread is so long.

most fans like the wroten deal so not sure where you are coming from. Nobody said he cant come back from Acl injury but it is a tough injury you cant sugarcoat that
EnySpree

5/26/2016  1:06 PM
StarksEwing1 wrote:
EnySpree wrote:This thread is 26 pages and counting because guys talk about Wroten like hes an undrafted rookie or as if he's 35 Yarra old and been a 12th man for 10 years.

most fans like the wroten deal so not sure where you are coming from. Nobody said he cant come back from Acl injury but it is a tough injury you cant sugarcoat that

That's another reason this thread is so long. Repeat arguements.

Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
StarksEwing1

5/26/2016  1:10 PM
EnySpree wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:

That's another reason this thread is so long. Repeat arguements.

I think you mean repeat arguments. Anyway i have been a fan of wroten for a while. He is a big guard which i think we need. Obviously im one of the bigger jerian grant fans in here so i think both will benefit from jeff
nixluva
USA
5/26/2016  1:11 PM
StarksEwing1 wrote:

Iman Shumpert had an ACL. I think younger guys can bounce back. Also when talking about ACL you MUST understand they're not all the same. Some people do serious damage to other structures in the Knee and that's why they don't bounce back. In both cases Wroten didn't do extensive damage to the rest of his Knee. So hopefully he can be fine. The ACL itself is not what makes you athletic, it's a structural support Ligament.
StarksEwing1

5/26/2016  1:12 PM
nixluva wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:

Iman Shumpert had an ACL. I think younger guys can bounce back. Also when talking about ACL you MUST understand they're not all the same. Some people do serious damage to other structures in the Knee and that's why they don't bounce back. In both cases Wroten didn't do extensive damage to the rest of his Knee. So hopefully he can be fine. The ACL itself is not what makes you athletic, it's a structural support Ligament.
Yes i know nix. I never had a acl tear but have played with or against many who suffered them. All are different
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
5/26/2016  4:04 PM
This is good to hear.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
nixluva
USA
5/26/2016  4:45 PM
CrushAlot wrote:This is good to hear.

Yeah I saw this tweet. I didn't post it cuz you know how some people would jump on me for being too pro Wroten. LOL

mreinman
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #3189

5/26/2016  4:47 PM
nixluva wrote:

Yeah I saw this tweet. I didn't post it cuz you know how some people would jump on me for being too pro Wroten. LOL

we are all pro wroten ... just some of us are not allowing ourselves to get to amped up and excited about him.

so here is what phil is thinking ....
nixluva
USA
5/26/2016  5:06 PM
mreinman wrote:
nixluva wrote:

we are all pro wroten ... just some of us are not allowing ourselves to get to amped up and excited about him.

1st of all we are NOT ALL pro Wroten. Perhaps you feel that way but i've read posts from those that don't like Wroten so...

As for me being amped up and excited, well yeah I am. I have been pretty darned open about that. So what's it to you? You're one of the guys that tends to make a big deal about any of us being excited about Wroten's potential. You choose not to have any expectations and others are very hopeful that he can help this team next season and hopefully beyond.

nixluva
USA
5/26/2016  5:17 PM
This is a nice little set of statistical points about Wroten. The interesting point was that even this year when he came back he still was getting to the rim a lot. He was attacking the basket fairly frequently even not at full strength.

Before injuring his knee Wroten finished 13th in the entire NBA in drives per game (8.1) during the 2013-14 season. That placed him immediately ahead of the likes of Lebron James (7.6) Mike Conley (7.8) and Damian Lillard (8.0) and just behind a pair of Phoenix guards who played under Hornacek: Goran Dragic (10.0) and Eric Bledsoe (8.1). At the time of his injury during the 2014-15 season Wroten had increased his drives per game to 6th in the league at 10.3 per game ahead of James (9.8) and Russell Westbrook (10.2) and immediately behind James Harden (10.7). In the 8 games with the 76ers this season, Wroten rebounded to post 8.9 drives per game before being let go.

The Knicks desperately needed that kind of penetration ability. Hopefully now he's stronger and can shoot the ball better. He's got a lot to learn about setting up his teammates but hopefully JH can teach him how to be a more effective player.

mreinman

5/26/2016  6:14 PM
nixluva wrote:
mreinman wrote:
nixluva wrote:

1st of all we are NOT ALL pro Wroten. Perhaps you feel that way but i've read posts from those that don't like Wroten so...

As for me being amped up and excited, well yeah I am. I have been pretty darned open about that. So what's it to you? You're one of the guys that tends to make a big deal about any of us being excited about Wroten's potential. You choose not to have any expectations and others are very hopeful that he can help this team next season and hopefully beyond.

knicks fans always had this issue because we want so badly for things to work out and we need something to pin hopes on.

Sean Williams
Jonathan Bender
Jimmer
Tony Douglass
Landry Fields (he was actually compared to bernard king)
N'Dour
that tall PG we picked up a couple of years ago - good defender could not shoot a lick
Tony Wroten
etc ...

Of course there are the john starks success stories but for every john starks there are 1000 Sean Williams'

CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
5/26/2016  6:45 PM
mreinman wrote:
nixluva wrote:
mreinman wrote:
nixluva wrote:

knicks fans always had this issue because we want so badly for things to work out and we need something to pin hopes on.

Sean Williams
Jonathan Bender
Jimmer
Tony Douglass
N'Dour
that tall PG we picked up a couple of years ago - good defender could not shoot a lick
Tony Wroten
etc ...

Of course there are the john starks success stories but for every john starks there are 1000 Sean Williams'

I can't remember anything but complaints that Bender had a roster spot. Also, Fields was compared a lot to another great but I don't think it was King.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
mreinman

5/26/2016  6:48 PM
CrushAlot wrote:
mreinman wrote:
nixluva wrote:
mreinman wrote:
nixluva wrote:

Sean Williams
Jonathan Bender
Jimmer
Tony Douglass
N'Dour
Tony Wroten
etc ...

I can't remember anything but complaints that Bender had a roster spot. Also, Fields was compared a lot to another great but I don't think it was King.

just did a quick search .... see for yourself. http://www.ultimateknicks.com/forum/topic.asp?t=33285&page=4

EnySpree

5/26/2016  7:05 PM
mreinman wrote:
nixluva wrote:

You need to see a sports psych?

We signed Tony Wroten to 3 year contract...

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy