[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Frank vs. Craw.. trade value
Author Thread
rain
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #353
USA
7/26/2004  1:34 PM
Frank Williams has potential to be an above average playmaking, half-court oriented, point guard. His upside, if given minutes and he continues to work, could be similar to Andre Miller. He and Sweetney are the two most attractive players on the Knicks roster.. youth and inexspense. Crawford, whose height, athleticism, and skill set are a good match... plays a position where players are easy to find. Shooting guard is the single most fillable position on an NBA roster. Combine that with his cap number and me-first act in Chicago.. who is really more valuable? If Frank developes, he could net us a trade up to get that Big body up-front we need. This is a forward thinking scenario and Crawford helps immediately.. but is he that good, that much better than Frank?
AUTOADVERT
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
7/26/2004  1:39 PM
Frank doesn't have much trade value. He's a 4 PPG, 2APG PG with some upside. It's no comparison to Jamal. Jamal can play the SG spot better than Frank and the PG spot better than Frank as well (look at their assists and turnovers).
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
7/26/2004  1:40 PM
Crawford's got the potential to be a star player though...he's already putting up very good numbers & he's only 23...based on talent alone, the obvious choice is Crawford...the only question is who is worth the money they will likely make next year...i think Crawford at 7 years & $55 million is reasonable, but if they go up to $70 million, then it's way overpriced.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
rain
USA
7/26/2004  1:42 PM
Bonn .... he needs minutes. In the games I saw last year, when given time, he controlled the pace of the game and had a presence about him. Agreed, Crawford fits the team better at this point. But I wouldn't morgage further cap doom, expiring contracts, and a commodity in FWill just to make another move.
franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
7/26/2004  1:45 PM
I love what Frank Williams did in the playoffs with Jason Kidd- but I can only see Frank W developing into a really good version of Charlie Ward- a 'gutsy' leader who hits key shots, makes some good passes.

I can't see Frank being a difference maker in a game- where the other team needs to change what they do defensively to stop him.

Crawford is that kind of talent-
Bonn1997
USA
7/26/2004  1:46 PM
Posted by rain:

Bonn .... he needs minutes. In the games I saw last year, when given time, he controlled the pace of the game and had a presence about him. Agreed, Crawford fits the team better at this point. But I wouldn't morgage further cap doom, expiring contracts, and a commodity in FWill just to make another move.

My guess is that scouts see Frank as someone with the potential to be a nice 6th man, whereas Jamal has the potential to be a star
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
7/26/2004  1:47 PM
Craw would be at the crossroads with knicks. With security at hand, he can either take the Rip Hamilton route and becomes a team player doing the little things to win and scoring,

Or

The "Rickey Buckets" thing and it be about Rickey for Rickey.

Bonn1997
USA
7/26/2004  1:52 PM
Posted by Nalod:

Craw would be at the crossroads with knicks. With security at hand, he can either take the Rip Hamilton route and becomes a team player doing the little things to win and scoring,

Or

The "Rickey Buckets" thing and it be about Rickey for Rickey.
That's a very worthwhile risk for a team over the cap with only $10 mil in expiring contracts this summer
crzymdups
Member: #671
USA
7/26/2004  2:55 PM
I love Frank. I remember all his great games (like the four game stretch from Memphis to Orlando, Denver, etc.), but I think people are forgetting the many games he played where he had the deer in the headlights look on his face and seemed to not be on the court.

Similarly, he played FANTASTIC defense against Kidd and showed some much needed toughness against, but his total lack of an outside shot in the series prevented the Knicks from being able to use him more, because Frank on the floor meant that Marbury got double teamed the second he crossed half court.

Crawford had ups and downs in his season too, but there were far more ups. He's a much better outside shooter, but his shot selection overall has been poor. He's a better slasher and seems to be on a par with Frank in passing (assist numbers really don't mean much in Frank's case, he never got enough time with ball). But Jamal is far quicker and faster and bigger than Frank. He plays not only SG but PG. As a PG he's extremely valuable and the ability to play Jamal and Steph together would make for the most explosive back court in the league. In my mind, you have to get Jamal if you can get him for the prices we've read about. Rip Hamilton is a good comparison (in terms of how he blossomed once he left Washington and found a home).

I love Frank, but if you can use him to get Jamal Crawford, you have to do it. I do feel like Crawford would drastically improve this team's chances. How would that series against the Nets gone if we had an outside shooter/play maker to prevent the Nets from doubling Stephon? It would've been more interesting.
¿ △ ?
rain
USA
7/26/2004  4:39 PM
dups... good post.
s3231
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #544
USA
7/26/2004  4:58 PM
Jamal definitely has more trade value than Frank. You have to remember that some GM's don't even know who Frank is. Yes, he did a good job on Kidd in the playoffs. Yes, we were undefeated when Frankie started. However, he still only averaged 4 ppg and 2 apg. Frank's trade value will only get high when he gets enough minutes to boost his numbers up. As someone mentioned earlier, Frankie has potential to be a good 6th man off the bench (like a Bobby Jackson), maybe even a decent starting pg. Crawford on the other hand, has the raw talent and the potential to be a star.

[Edited by - s3231 on 07/26/2004 16:59:20]
"This is a very cautious situation that we're in. You have to be conservative in terms of using your assets and using them wisely. We're building for the future." - Zeke (I guess not protecting a first round pick is being conservative)
purple012870
Member: #432
7/26/2004  8:14 PM
My impression of Frank Williams.

Defense: Good, strong hands but smaller, quicker guards fantasize about blowing by him. Any Tony Parker type lights him up at will.

Ball handling: Good, creative dribbler. Confident in the lane & on the break. Passing, though sometimes too much mustard on the hot dog, is his forte.

Shooting: NO jump shot, especially off the dribble. Only shot he can hit is an ugly set shot he'll shoot if the defense is doubling elsewhere.

Driving: He does not have NBA quickness for a PG. So, his only drives are when there's a crack in the defense, not when somebody is facing him up.

Overall: He'll always be a below average PG. Comparing his potential to Crawford's is downright silly.
simrud
Member: #474
USA
7/26/2004  9:43 PM
While I agree that Craw is downright better, but you are also givin FW no love at all man.

He is an above average defender. Small, big, quick, slow, FW is both strong and deceptively quick. I'v seen him play very nice defense man, on quick guards, too.

He is a nice passer, looks to pass all the time. He is also a good rebounder for a PG. He can finish at the rim. He does blow by people, I'v seen it. He def has an average crossover and great understanding of the game which allows him to outsmart opposing defenders.

His shot was improving by leaps and bounds last year, he developed a nice 3pt shot that he was hitting with some consistency.

They guy he reminds me of is Snow. Except with better defense. I really feel that FW can be a a real stopper at the 1.
A glimmer of hope maybe?!?
rain
USA
7/26/2004  9:57 PM
Purple... re-read the thread title, not saying Frank is a better player.. saying his lower cap number, the position he plays, and better attitude might make him better trade bait for a big man, or a trade-up in an up-coming draft. Crawford has more upside, I would agree, but he plays a position which is easier to fill than a true point guard. And his cap number, if we sign him, will be pretty high.. especially if he flops.
mintyfreshness33
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #586
USA
7/26/2004  10:15 PM
frank william was a street ball legend back in illinois, this dude is faster than he looks and he got some crazy handles, i heard he is playing with marbury on fat joe's team this year and they will be able to have that rematch against jamal creezy and jay-z's team.
joec32033
Alba Posts: 37
Member: #583
USA
7/26/2004  11:33 PM
I see Frankie as another Derek Harper....which I like, but we ae set at the PG spot with Steph, which is why I may prefer Crawford as a 2 (he has alot of scoring ability)...what I don't like is he is a 23 year old who views himself as an up and coming star at PG, when we already have a young star at PG....I don't understand this need of our team to double up what we have and try to fit people where we need them like with Allan and Spree. I would love to have a Craw and Steph back court (as long as Craw doesn't get disillusioned by being the starting SG and not a PG)....

IMHO, I think a more prudent move is to go hard after Dampier and Swift and possibly develop a young SG on our own (I love David Hawkins, BTW..I posted his vitals and everything before). He is a legit 6-5 230, the kid is huge for a 2 guard...

This kid is a diamond in the rough.....he averaged about 16.4 pts, 4.8 rbs., 2.2 ast. 2 stls. for Temple in his career. Last year his numbers were 24 pts., 5 rbs, 2.7 ast., and 2.6 stls.. He also shot .407 from the field....he's a big kid, can post up...

Strengths: Power guard who can take it strong to the basket and finish at the rim. More of a two, but solid passing and ballhandling skills allow him to slide over to the point on occasion.
Hawkins

He's also Married with 2 kids so he will have no problems with staying out.....the kid is a mature kid, and he comes from a John Chaney coached program....Temple produced some really good guards....Eddie Jones, Aaron McKie...2 strong NBAers who are solid on and off the court. They have amazing character, too....

With the departure of Alex Wesby, the scoring and leadership burden for the Owls now falls on senior guard David Hawkins, who averaged a conference-leading 2.5 steals per game last season. The Owls return four starters, and with guard Maurice Collins running the offense, there is no reason why the Owls can't lead the nation again in fewest turnovers per game.

Temple, meanwhile, features the most prolific shooter in the league in David Hawkins, a senior guard who leads the A-10 in scoring with 24.1 points per game and has scored 20 or more in 16 consecutive games. He had 19 of his game-high 28 points in the first half of a 59-53 victory against Georgetown Saturday.

"Hawkins has been carrying us," said Chaney, who still isn't convinced his Owls have turned the corner and are speeding toward a fast finish and a possible postseason tournament.

After a recent 69-53 victory at Rhode island, Chaney said, "I haven't changed my mind. ... I don't trust these guys at all. I have no confidence in them. No faith, no nothing."

Unlike his coach, Hawkins is excited about the winning streak and the future of the Owls.

"For every game we win, I'd say morale builds up and confidence builds up," he said. "More and more people tend to believe what coach is preaching works. But we still have a long way to go."

[Edited by - joec32033 on 07/26/2004 23:35:38]
~You can't run from who you are.~
Bonn1997
USA
7/26/2004  11:37 PM
I actually LOVE the fact that Jamal's a combo guard with the playmaking skills of a PG. It's a deadly combination when you have 2 guards with great playmaking skills.

[Edited by - Bonn1997 on 07/26/2004 23:37:26]
Knicksfan
Alba Posts: 27
Member: #691
USA
7/27/2004  12:18 AM
Posted by Bonn1997:

I actually LOVE the fact that Jamal's a combo guard with the playmaking skills of a PG. It's a deadly combination when you have 2 guards with great playmaking skills.

[Edited by - Bonn1997 on 07/26/2004 23:37:26]

Me too. That would be a very good thing. And the fact Crawford is a combo guard but actually has the height to play SG without being undersized is a very good thing.
Knicks_Fan
simrud
Member: #474
USA
7/27/2004  8:42 AM
No reason for us not to develop a 2guard ourselves, maybe keeping Hawkins. Houston will be gone in 2 years, Craw will start,and if we have a guy waiting to be the backup at the 2, we'd be golden.
A glimmer of hope maybe?!?
joec32033
Alba Posts: 37
Member: #583
USA
7/27/2004  9:27 AM
I am not worried about his playmaking skills...I am worried that he will attach himself to the PG mantle...that's all...you can never have too many players that can handle the ball, I agree, but in 2 years I don't want Craw saying he is playiong out of position and he thinks he should be starting at the point. That is my only concern with Craw. Not his skills but the fact he may be playing out of position according to where he thinks he should play.

~You can't run from who you are.~
Frank vs. Craw.. trade value

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy