[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

The long, slow wait...
Author Thread
crzymdups
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #671
USA
7/26/2004  12:33 PM
This is driving me nuts. When will this end? I think Isiah is trying to get Walker, Jamal and Damps. He needs to focus on just getting two of those guys, I don't think he can get all three. He may lose out on everyone if he remains so damn stubborn!

Sigh. October 1 can't come soon enough...
¿ △ ?
AUTOADVERT
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
7/26/2004  1:09 PM
I think not wasting assets is the most important. If it means having Deke, Othella and TSki hanging around until Feb then so be it.

All those players are nice but none are making or breaking this franchise for the next 5 years.

I want to see Frank and Sweetney come into camp and fight the starters for minutes. I want to see a rehabbed and healthy Houston, and I want to see Baker, Kurt and Nazr come in ready to bang.

Most of all I want to see Marbury take that talented group and lead them to a fast start and put us in position to win the division.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
codeunknown
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #704
7/26/2004  3:21 PM
Not getting Crawford, Dampier or Walker certainly won't "break" the franchise. But getting all 3 of them would surely throw is into the pack of major contenders. The following lineup is deep and very dangerous.

Marbury/Crawford
Houston/Crawford
TT/Pennny/Ariza/Dermarr
Walker/Sweetney
Dampier/Baker

If we got all that done, we'd stil have a small portion of the MLE that I would use on a backup center.
Sh-t in the popcorn to go with sh-t on the court. Its a theme show like Medieval times.
Mac
Member: #470
Japan
7/26/2004  3:52 PM
Let's be honest... NY would be the Mavericks of the east with that lineup... NO D. Dampier cannot make up for the lack of exterior Defense of both TT and AW in the starting lineup.

One can only hope that Houston is healthy and Sweetney gets more PT.
codeunknown
7/26/2004  4:11 PM
I agree that we'd have a potent offense. But, I disagree that our defense would be as bad as the Mavs. Marbury is much better than Nash. Dampier is light years better than whomever the Mavs were disguising as a center last year. Walker and Nowitzki are comparably bad. The only decent defender the Mavs have is Finley. Again, Houston atleast tries on defense and despite failing pathetically one on one, he knows how to force the offensive player into help. On the other hand, although TT has the skills to be an awesome defender, Mr. Gazy seems more interested in the post-game action. I noticed an improvement, though, in his defense last year on the Knicks. Maybe, Isiah can spark a match under him.
Sh-t in the popcorn to go with sh-t on the court. Its a theme show like Medieval times.
fishmike
USA
7/26/2004  4:21 PM
didnt the mavs win like 62 games and go the WCF 2 years ago? As I recall they may have been a Dirk sprained knee from a trip to the finals.

Lets become a contender first, and get the most talent we can. Then we can carve out some kind of identity. One thing that team isnt short on is rebounding, and you have some guys that can get steals. If your scoring off turnovers and killing teams on the boards you can live with giving up a higher FG%.

Its impossible to tell if nothing is happening because Isiah is piecing together a huge deal where we get them all, or if nothing is happening because nothing's happening.

Time will tell... I can be patient.
codeunknown
7/26/2004  4:40 PM
Fishmike, I agree completely. First off, if we are as good as the Mavs of two years ago, we aren't too far away. In terms of identity, I think a team composed of those parts has efficient half-court scoring and decent fast-break compatibility. Rebounding is not a concern and defense would require only occasional doubling.
crzymdups
Member: #671
USA
7/26/2004  4:47 PM
I think the main key to building an identity will involved firing Lenny and getting a defensive minded coach. Mark Aguirre wouldn't be a bad choice.
¿ △ ?
Mac
Member: #470
Japan
7/26/2004  4:51 PM
Those are good points... However, If isiah truly wants to win a championship, he can't settle for a blue plan like the mavs who are now lucky to finish in the top 4 in the west. With NY's cap situation, IT gets no leniancy. If he makes a mistake, it'll be a glaring mistake that will be there for years to come. He should focus on getting athletic defensive players, not athletic offensive ones. Detroit set the precedent.

I feel IT can use these pieces that NY has to build a contender... That's very subjective of me, but what the hell. Therefore, He needs to make sure he's patient and gets the right pieces.

Ariza was a great pick... Crawford would be a good deal... I don't like the 'twan proposal.
codeunknown
7/26/2004  5:02 PM
I agree with your concern for defense. But, winning is the result of the differential between a team's offense and defense. If you score on every possession down the floor, your defense need only make a couple of stops and you win the game. Personally, I think that mix of players has a good combination of great offense and decent defense, enough to plow far into the playoffs.
simrud
Member: #474
USA
7/26/2004  5:11 PM
First of, just cause Detroit won one way, does not mean we should just copy them. There are many ways to win. Dallas was really really good 2 years ago. Like someone said, if Dirk did not get injured, they might have won it all. If you score over a 100 a game, you don't have to hold teams to below 90. Let them score 96 a game even, if you average liek 105 a game you are winning by almost double digit margins on avereage. The real questoin is whether we would THAT good on offense with those players. In my opinon yes, but that just an opinion, I'm sure an agrument can be made that Walker and TT are too similar and Housotn woun't get enough toches, etc etc. So who knows.
A glimmer of hope maybe?!?
s3231
Member: #544
USA
7/26/2004  5:11 PM
Posted by Mac:

Those are good points... However, If isiah truly wants to win a championship, he can't settle for a blue plan like the mavs who are now lucky to finish in the top 4 in the west. With NY's cap situation, IT gets no leniancy. If he makes a mistake, it'll be a glaring mistake that will be there for years to come. He should focus on getting athletic defensive players, not athletic offensive ones. Detroit set the precedent.

I feel IT can use these pieces that NY has to build a contender... That's very subjective of me, but what the hell. Therefore, He needs to make sure he's patient and gets the right pieces.

Ariza was a great pick... Crawford would be a good deal... I don't like the 'twan proposal.

You have to realize that in order to become a championship contender, we first have to become a very good team. We can't just do what Detroit did because we have a lot of bad contracts that prevent us from getting good defensive and athletic players. Isiah is trying to get as much talent as he can, and that is the right way to do it for us. There is nothing wrong with becoming the Dallas Mavericks of the East. When you have as much talent as a team like the Mavericks had last year, you can just trade for one of the best players in the NBA and take a shot at winning a championship (like the Mavs could've done if they were willing to give up Dirk in a deal for Shaq). We are not in a position to just build a championship contender from the ground up. Isiah inherited a bad situation and has bring as much talent as he can to this team. That's why he is not rushing into a deal for Crawford. He doesn't want to give up all of our assets in one deal, he's trying to see how many signficant deals he can pull off with those assets.
"This is a very cautious situation that we're in. You have to be conservative in terms of using your assets and using them wisely. We're building for the future." - Zeke (I guess not protecting a first round pick is being conservative)
fishmike
USA
7/26/2004  6:47 PM
FYI: Ginobili, Nesterovich and Parker are all poor or below average defenders. Yet Duncan and Bowen anchor a good defensive team. Marbury is good defender and has super quick hands. Penny is OK for now, but we will need a solid perimeter lock down type guy. Ariza has the frame. Frank has showed it in flashes. Shandon isnt it. The biggest glare though is the post defender. A Ratliff type player would have such a huge impact... thus the Dampier hoopla.

Like I said... time will tell. Lets get talent first.

FYI: If you read between the lines its a forgone conclusion Aguire will be the head coach in the next 2-3 years.
simrud
Member: #474
USA
7/26/2004  9:53 PM
I agree that Nesterovich is a bad defender (is he good at anything?) and parker is average. But Ginobli is a good defender. He is fast, long, athletic, and strong enough to hold his ground. So he is def no liability. Also, Parker and Nesterobich at least try, which is prollly more important then natural ability on a team with a great defensive sheme and mistake erasers such as Duncan and Bowen. The thing Pop don't take no ****, he'll bench anybody if they don't play hard.
A glimmer of hope maybe?!?
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
7/26/2004  10:29 PM
lol...i remember alot of people wanted rasho two offseasons ago...

anyways, let's get this group healthy. let's have a full training camp. let's hope frank is ready to step it up b/c with marbury at the olympics, i would think he would need a little break from his usual 44 mins/game. i like our team RIGHT NOW. anything else, is gravy. i'm looking at 45 wins this season as the good achievement for year two (well really 1 1/2). that's the most realistic goal i think we can have...
Allanfan20
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #542
USA
7/27/2004  3:29 AM
"Rasho Nesterovic is a project in constant improvement"

I believe those are the words of PJ Carlesemo, from a couple of years ago. If you ask me, I just see a white stiff lol

I agree with Fishmike though. What he said he wants to see is exactly what I want to see as well. However, if Jamal is as good as some people say he is, then we should continue to target him.

ABout the low post defense though. Maybe Mike Sweetney can be that really good piece, that can anchor the D', in a couple of years. You never know.
“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
The long, slow wait...

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy