[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Flawed all-stars
Author Thread
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
12/17/2001  12:04 PM
I have been thinking about the Knicks' big three and why with all-star capable players, this team couldn't put together a better record. It's simple, the Knicks have flawed all-stars. Let’s look.

Spree – a great energy player with top-notch defensive skills against shooting guards and smaller small forwards. He dishes out assists and rebounds. However, Spree has never been much more than a low 40% from the field shooter; his ball handling skills are poor; he can’t go to his left. For all his deficiencies, if Latrell was not playing the small forward position on a daily basis, I think he would be a near perfect all-star

Camby – a high-energy player who plays off the ball very well and runs the court but who has no bulk, is injury prone and with out a dominant post player to play next to, is regulated to being good rebounder next to shorter players who can't rebound themselves. Camby has played some six years in the league and still does not have a face-the-basket shot, not to mention an offensive move that he can rely upon. Although this guy is part of the Knicks' big three, he is definitely a specialized potential all-star in a talent depleted Eastern Conference.

Houston – the guy can shoot the ball. That's it. His passing skills suck. Defense, sucks. Ball handling, sucks. Leadership qualities, suck. Toughness, no. Like Camby, without someone else who can draw the double team down low, Houston has a hard time getting the open looks that, say, a Chris Webber would afford him.

This all adds up to 3 very good players who do not really compliment themselves (heck, 2 of them play the same position) but who are skill flawed enough to win a few games yet will not do much else. And what with Allan's contract and Marcus' foot, they only real chip that the Knicks have to trade is Spree, their one real leader who has both the will and toughness to win.

Blah, it's just not fun watching the games these days.
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
AUTOADVERT
Knixkik
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #11
USA
12/17/2001  3:26 PM
These guys are perfect together, but the supporting cast is not. Keep these guys together and build around them. Picking up someone like Keon Clark for the exception this summer who be an excellent start.
scylla
Member: #97
12/17/2001  3:41 PM
Blah, it's just not fun watching the games these days.

I'll see your blah, and raise you an oy vey. You're right on about our Big Three (it's hard to call them that without smirking), especially about the importance of getting Spree time at shooting guard. He may be streaky, but he at least has the ability and the inclination to get to the line when his jumper isn't falling. Plus he defends (on a first-team NBA level, I think), rebounds, passes, and wants to take big shots. Only because Houston can't be relied on to guard anyone--let alone bigger, stronger players--is Sprewell forced to play out of position. In essence, he's sacrificing his effectiveness to compensate for his maxed-out teammate's utter lack of game. While the media is getting on Spree lately for complaining, I think he's been remarkably composed, considering he has some pretty valid reasons to be bitter.
knickgeek
Member: #46
USA
12/18/2001  11:35 AM
This team is suffering from a series of bad decisions going back to the decision to trade Patrick Ewing. The result is a bad mix of players. Everyone on this team, with the exception of Sprewell, is a role player type.

In particular, they lack the type of intimidating players they used to have (Oakley) players with good leadership qualities (LJ) and pugnacious players (Childs) and clearly are suffering for not having a true center.

I have not complaints about Sprewell. He does take bad shots, and his foul shooting has not been as good this year, but he always contributes and plays with passion.

Camby is great, but he is injury prone. Don't expect that to change.

Allan Houston is not this bad. He could play better D, he could handle the ball better, and we've all seen him do it. His problem is he has no "Fire in the belly". Someone should get in his face and insult him or something, anything to awaken him from his stupor. An Allan Houston who is fully contributing could help this Knick team reach its potential.

We all know it is extremely unlikely these Knicks will be going to the finals. But as fans we want to see them give it their best effort every night both mentally and physically, as befits a team privileged to play in the great City and State of New York. That will make the games entertaining enough for me. Collectively, they are not doing that now.
MCfan23
Member: #114
USA
12/18/2001  1:56 PM
Posted by knickgeek:

Allan Houston is not this bad. He could play better D, he could handle the ball better, and we've all seen him do it. His problem is he has no "Fire in the belly". Someone should get in his face and insult him or something, anything to awaken him from his stupor.

How I would love Allan to get a T for shouting at a ref, or taunting the opposition, or hanging on the rim after an in-your-face slam dunk...
We suck.
UKDad
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #31
USA
12/19/2001  8:00 AM
Has Houston ever been T-eed?
The Old Man of UK...
MCfan23
Member: #114
USA
12/19/2001  8:16 AM
I don't think so.
We suck.
Flawed all-stars

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy