Alba Posts: 0
Member: #316
Canada
7/26/2004  5:12 AM
NBA Knicks Draft selection Trevor Ariza: Flying High
By Erik Woods
July.24.2004

http://www.basket-ball.com/basketball-article-13483.html

Last week, sitting next to a bunch of NBA scouts covering the Long Beach Pro Am, Trevor Ariza of the New York Knicks is flat out dismantling a Laker team en route to his 21 point performance. A scout behind me goes, "Sheesh, if I knew he could play like this we'd have taken him as our first round pick." Simultaneously, I'm thinking to myself how could this guy not have been a McDonald's All American pick his senior year in high school? I called up Ariza's old Westchester high school coach five minutes later and told him how Trevor was dunking up a storm and asked him to comment about the slight Ariza incurred by the voters of the McDonald's game, "Trevor from all the kids I coached deserved to be in that all star game, here's a kid that can play with the best because he trains so hard." Yeah Marlin, Ariza definitely turned some heads today. Recently, Ronnie Flores wrote an article for Cal-Hi rivals.com site that detailed a dozen other deserving California players who had been left of the "list" for the Mickey D's game. Reggie Miller was the most high profile Californian in that story, here's hoping that Ariza can do what Miller did in 1983 out of Riverside Poly and tear it up in the "L.". Sitting in front of the Inglewood basketball gym I'm asking Trevor Ariza about life, basketball, and how his summer is going.

Erik Woods: Nice game the other day versus the Lakers, how did you feel about that one?
Ariza: I just went out there and tried to help my team, I'll do whatever it takes to help us be successful.

Erik Woods: How does it feel to come here to Inglewood and be looked up to by so many kids?
Ariza: I love being a role model for these kids. I used to look up to Paul Pierce, Baron Davis, Jason Hart when I was coming up, it's just time for me to be the role model that kids need..

Erik Woods: I'm doing a story on your old Westchester teammate Hassan Adams and the Say No college basketball league that you played in last year, how did those games help your development as a player?
Ariza: Man, it helped me a lot, the competition is always tough and helps you get better. I was just glad to hang out and play with the guys from that league because they good people.

Erik Woods: How did your team do against Hassan?
Ariza: His team was like the most talented one in the league, we were able to beat them both times, but every time we play against each other it's going to be a battle because we respect each enough to go all out.

Erik Woods: What is the one thing that you want people to know about your game?
Ariza: That I train hard, that I care about getting better by putting in the time to be my best, I want everyone to know that.

Erik Woods:What would you be doing if a basketball career wasn't in your future?
Ariza: I would definitely be working with kids as my job, it's something that I've always wanted to do.

Erik Woods: Thanks Trevor, keep on working hard and good luck for the rest of the summer.
Ariza: No problem, thanks for interviewing me for basket-ball.com
AUTOADVERT
Rich
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #511
USA
7/26/2004  5:52 AM
Thanks for posting that, Raven. I'm excited about this kid. He has skills that no Knick player has had in some time, and seemingly a great work ethic as well.
raven
Canada
7/26/2004  7:07 AM
I also like a lot what we saw in the SL but above all his attitude.

You need to get guys like him, sweet and frank to succeed. Those guys can help stars like marbury to go a step further.
MaTT4281
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #538
USA
7/26/2004  11:42 AM
How did this guy slip into the second round?
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
7/26/2004  12:27 PM
same reason they all do. He had modest college numbers, probably came out a year or two early and had a collapsed lung to boot. He's had a lot working against him. If he could turn into a James Posey/Josh Howard type player it would be a huge boost.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
7/26/2004  12:28 PM
as long as he finds more of a role here than Lavor Postell did, i'll be happy w/the pick.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
Knicksfan
Alba Posts: 27
Member: #691
USA
7/26/2004  12:36 PM
Hopefully he will become a very important part of the Knicks' future. Time will tell, and he should have room to improve without being pushed to help now. I definitely like the fact that he works hard to improve, thats a very good sign. I really hope this kid has a great future in the NBA and with the Knicks, of course .
Knicks_Fan
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
7/26/2004  1:01 PM
to me this is a guy that you hope to plug into one of the holes in two years. Next off season Penny, TT and Nazr represent about $35mm coming off the books. I would use Nazr as deadline trade bait, let Penny walk (hopefully replace him w/ a blossuming Ariza) and resign TT to something around $7-$8mm a year, depending on how things play out. Who knows, maybe TT is part of a package as well.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
TheloniusMonk
Member: #705
USA
7/26/2004  1:59 PM
"as long as he finds more of a role here than Lavor Postell did, i'll be happy w/the pick."

Wow! There's a name you don't hear anymore. What ever happened to dude? I know he had signed with another team a season or two ago but until you mentioned him I forgot he even was a Knick. Is he even still in the league?
'You can catch me in Hollis at the hero shop!' -Tony Yayo
Andrew
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #1
USA
7/26/2004  2:52 PM
Posted by TheloniusMonk:

"as long as he finds more of a role here than Lavor Postell did, i'll be happy w/the pick."

Wow! There's a name you don't hear anymore. What ever happened to dude? I know he had signed with another team a season or two ago but until you mentioned him I forgot he even was a Knick. Is he even still in the league?

I think he played in the NBDL last year.
PURE KNICKS LOVE
nyballer
Member: #108
USA
7/26/2004  3:20 PM
Posted by Andrew:
Posted by TheloniusMonk:

I think he played in the NBDL last year.
remember when he said he could drop 20 if he got the same minutes that houston and spree got, and the next night he did drop 20 (it was during the last week of the season), and the following night he had 15 or something? he was a pretty ****y guy, it was pretty entertaining to hear the things he said
"easy like sunday morning..." - walt clyde
raven
Canada
7/26/2004  4:55 PM
ariza is already 10 times the player lavor will never be, cause trevor has an all around game. he plays d, rebounds, has great physical skills.

simrud
Member: #474
USA
7/26/2004  5:15 PM
Postell just shot every time he touched the ball lol. He just was not talented enough.
A glimmer of hope maybe?!?
technomaster
Member: #426
USA
7/26/2004  7:46 PM
I feel a little bad for Postell, however think about this. After growing up a Knicks fan, he:

1) got paid a lot of money to hang out w/ real live NBA players + travel to hot spots all over the country.
2) had one of the best seats in the house.
3) did all that for 2 years.

Hey, if I could do that much, I'd feel I'd accomplished a lot.

And damn, in those two years, he might possibly have earned more money at league minimum than I'll earn in a lifetime!
“That was two, two from the heart.” - John Starks
PhilinLA
Member: #696
7/27/2004  3:22 PM
I really think Zeke might have hit the jackpot with Ariza.
http://amonthhoffundays.blogspot.com/ We got a ringer.
islesfan
Alba Posts: 37
Member: #712
7/27/2004  5:06 PM
It's amazing how some people are talking about Ariza like he's the second coming after MAYBE seeing him play in 2 summer league games. How about we wait to see if he can become a legitimate contributor before we give him Rookie of the Year.

Remember how everyone talked Dermarr up like he was this great pickup by Isiah? What exactly did he do for us aside from 1 game here and there.
If it didn’t work in Phoenix with Nash and Stoutamire... it’s just not a winning formula. It’s an entertaining formula, but not a winning one. - Derek Harper talking about D'Antoni's System
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
7/27/2004  5:14 PM
Posted by PhilinLA:

I really think Zeke might have hit the jackpot with Ariza.
Agreed; he *might* have hit the jackpot. No one is saying that he will be a good NBA player; only that he might be. He has all the skills you look for in a 19 yr old
rain
Member: #353
USA
7/27/2004  7:06 PM
Posted by islesfan:

It's amazing how some people are talking about Ariza like he's the second coming after MAYBE seeing him play in 2 summer league games. How about we wait to see if he can become a legitimate contributor before we give him Rookie of the Year.

Remember how everyone talked Dermarr up like he was this great pickup by Isiah? What exactly did he do for us aside from 1 game here and there.
I don't remember anyone talking up Demarr... maybe that was another board? Anyhow.. if Ariza does becomes a "legitimate contributor".. isn't that hitting the Jackpot with a mid-second rounder?
Knicksfan
Alba Posts: 27
Member: #691
USA
7/27/2004  9:30 PM
The thing that might tell if we hit the jackpot about Ariza may be his desire to get better and learn everyday. Thats by now the best thing he may have right now, and if he really works hard he could become a good part of this team's future. Some players are gifted with a lot of talent but don't work hard and become just another one. But some guys, even with not much talent, become special players with comittment on working hard. I hope that comittment helps Ariza reach his potential.
Knicks_Fan
technomaster
Member: #426
USA
7/28/2004  3:08 AM
Since we picked up Mason/Starks/KT back in the day, we haven't had much success discovering the diamonds in the rough until perhaps now.

I don't know what to make of Ariza yet, but from day 1 Isiah was comparing him to a young Rodman in terms of athleticism/quickness. In the summer league, he definitely showed he was capable of dominating against that level of competition. Note that he was ranked #19 in his high school class.

http://scout.theinsiders.com/a.z?s=75&p=9&c=4&pid=88&yr=2003

There's been much talk about Sweetney's improvements under the tutelage of Aguirre. I wonder if Aguirre is also working with some of the other players, namely DerMarr, Ariza, and Tim Thomas. I'm actually a little bit sick that only Sweetney's name comes up--- Tim Thomas has more tools than anyone on the team to be a dominant force in the NBA--- he can benefit more from the homework more than anyone.
“That was two, two from the heart.” - John Starks
NBA Knicks Draft selection Trevor Ariza: Flying High

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy