if the knicks stay realtively healthy next year
Topic LOCKED
Author Thread
islesfan
Alba Posts: 37
Member: #712
7/27/2004  5:39 PM
Posted by fishmike:

that was Bonns point not mine, but if thats all you did it wouldnt be a problem. You hate Isiah with a passion. Any move he has made or will move you swear is bad and is further ruining the franchise. Its old and boring because your arguements are always the same and there is a double standard which I pointed out earlier.

I like talking about basketball, but any kind of impartial discussion is impossible w/ you because your hatred for Isiah is plain, so I chose to not bother and post somewhere else.

You make it sound like I'm all alone in these thoughts when that's hardly the case. A lot of people have expressed the same thoughts that I have and if its a legitimate argument then how can it be old or boring?

If you don't want to discuss basketball with me, that's fine, but I'd appreciate it if you didn't badmouth me to others just because you choose not to. Everyone here is fully capable of forming their own opinions. That goes with Bonn since I'm sure he's reading this.

As far as your double standard, those players you mentioned are all overpaid and their current teams were all unwilling to pay them the money that they were seeking. That doesn't mean that they're useless as players but they aren't the type of players that you build your franchise around. Sheed is a dysfunctional player but he was put in a place where he respected the coach and some of his teammates and it was a good fit, personally and on the court. At least for 3 months last season. Put him on a bad or mediocre team that's rebuilding and I'm sure he's going to be the same old problem child Sheed.
If it didn’t work in Phoenix with Nash and Stoutamire... it’s just not a winning formula. It’s an entertaining formula, but not a winning one. - Derek Harper talking about D'Antoni's System
AUTOADVERT
Andrew
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #1
USA
7/27/2004  5:40 PM
Guys...can we stop the non-basketball conversations and get back to talking about the Knicks. Rest assured Martin and I will not let any poster degrade the level of discussuin in the forum.
PURE KNICKS LOVE
islesfan
7/27/2004  5:44 PM
That's more than fine with me.
If it didn’t work in Phoenix with Nash and Stoutamire... it’s just not a winning formula. It’s an entertaining formula, but not a winning one. - Derek Harper talking about D'Antoni's System
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
7/27/2004  6:18 PM
Posted by Andrew:

Guys...can we stop the non-basketball conversations and get back to talking about the Knicks. Rest assured Martin and I will not let any poster degrade the level of discussuin in the forum.
No problem. Sounds good to me
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
7/27/2004  7:55 PM
As far as your double standard, those players you mentioned are all overpaid and their current teams were all unwilling to pay them the money that they were seeking. That doesn't mean that they're useless as players but they aren't the type of players that you build your franchise around. Sheed is a dysfunctional player but he was put in a place where he respected the coach and some of his teammates and it was a good fit, personally and on the court. At least for 3 months last season. Put him on a bad or mediocre team that's rebuilding and I'm sure he's going to be the same old problem child Sheed.

Sheed is a dysfunctional player that was a HUGE key in taking a team in the "leastern conference" to an NBA title. He was also an expiring contract that returned Rahim and Ratliff... two played that could have put us right with any time in the East.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
Knicksfan
Alba Posts: 27
Member: #691
USA
7/27/2004  9:46 PM
Posted by simrud:

Everybody can relax about the forum going down because of a couple of posters, we've survived much worse in the few years that I'v been postin here, I mean for those who still rememer, it don't get much worse then Playa posting the same crap under 10 different handles.

Ohhh so Playa also posted here? I understand and agree with this point so much! Its painful...
Knicks_Fan
Knicksfan
Alba Posts: 27
Member: #691
USA
7/27/2004  10:02 PM
More than anything I would like to see this thread's title happen this season: stay relatively healthy. I know many don't really like this team, but I still truly believe that we haven't even seen half of what this team can do. With a healthy Houston, a more united team and the improvement of some players, we could be a very special team this season. We are still a work in process and any positive trade is welcomed, but being healthy and united alone is agreat, great improvement.
Knicks_Fan
codeunknown
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #704
7/27/2004  10:53 PM
Personally, I don't think there is a poster on these boards that disagrees with Islesfan more - with regard to Isiah's moves, assessment of players, assessment of our team, a good "rebuilding" plan, even what constitutes a good team.

But, despite causing digressions on a number of topics, he really isn't culpable of anything. He hasn't been rude or offensive (from what Ive seen). And he is more than free to express his opinion. If he somehow reduces an unrelated topic to "bashing" Isiah, he does it at the risk of being ignored. If he makes assertions without an inkling of evidence, he does it at the risk of losing all credibility. Thats his prerogative.

But there is no reason at all for other posters to leave since no one is compelled to read his posts. Moreover, there are tens of other posters whose positions might seem more relevant or insightful depending on individual preference. Read my posts, or Briggs's posts, or TMS's posts or Fishmike's posts. Whatever you like.

One of the things I like about these boards is the diversity of opinion. And while he has yet not convinced me of an iota of his argument, he is part of a minority and he is not at fault for that. Unfortunately, Isles doesn't seem to like answering questions, making his stance rather difficult to understand. Isles - you can start with those questions I asked you in the previous post.
Sh-t in the popcorn to go with sh-t on the court. Its a theme show like Medieval times.
islesfan
7/27/2004  11:31 PM
Actually, I do answer every question I can. Remember you accused me of not answering one last night when in fact I did. Then you decided that I have to answer a bunch more to satisfy you or else I don't "seem to like answering questions". It's amazing, I don't get a chance to answer them because I'm stuck defending myself from the sensitive people so now I must be avoiding the question. I apologize that I don't get to spend every waking moment on here. I'm sure a couple of people would really enjoy that though.

Ok, now let me answer your questions so you can sleep better at night.

Who would you immediately get rid off on this team, anyone specific you would target, what is your opinion of teams that have tried your method and been unsuccessful to this point?

I wouldn't target any specific player. I'd try to get under the cap by any means possible and if that meant to trade anybody in the right deal, I would. Even Marbury although he's admittedly an untouchable. If they could get under the cap in 2-3 years and build around Marbury I'd be fine with that because you can't undo what's already been done. Taking on big long term deals like the ones proposed in the Crawford and Dampier trades will just set us back even more IMHO.

My opinion of the teams that have tried to get under the cap in order to lure free agents but have been unsuccessful are different for each of those teams because they are each separate cases with their own issues. For example, Chicago tried to get under the cap but couldn't sign any big time free agents because IMO free agents were afraid of replacing Jordan. I believe they were also hesitant to deal with a management team that, from a players point of view, treated Jordan like crap.

Other teams like the Hawks and Clippers have gotten under the cap but have failed to sign free agents because frankly those organizations are terrible, don't have a history of being successful, aren't premier teams and don't have as much to offer as other teams. The Knicks aren't perrenial losers, they're still a premier team because they play in NY and they have a lot more to offer than other teams because they do play in the media capital of the world. IMO, none of these drawbacks, which have hampered these teams looking to sign free agents, would apply to the Knicks. If the Knicks could get under the cap, I have no reservations that they would be able to sign big name free agents if the money was equal.

If I missed a team that you wanted to include in this, please let me know and I'll be sure to answer it at my earliest convenience.

On that team that you didn't think was a contender, who needs to be added to make it a contender?

I'm not sure what you're talking about here. Please clarify and again, I'll be happy to answer it at my earliest convenience.
codeunknown
7/28/2004  12:00 AM
[quote]
Posted by islesfan:

Ok, now let me answer your questions so you can sleep better at night.

[quote]

Some of your reactions really crack me up. I come on here approximately once every day or two, some days more, some days not at all. Today, I only had time very late after dinner to read some posts. So you had many waking moments to answer a few questions. From the few posts I read, you seemed more preoccupied in answering some side issues instead of the basketball questions I posed.

But, I am pleased that you finally decided to answer them and I have MORE RESPECT for your position as a result. Atleast strategy-wise, there is some credence to your method. But, in my opinion, its very risky to rely on the glamour of NY as free agent bait. Also, there aren't that many players in the league better than Marbury. The timing of salary maneuvering and availability would have to be downright perfect to net a top-5 player in the league. Even with salary space, there is no guarantee in terms of acquiring those type of players - look at the Clippers and the Suns with the Kobe situation.

Maybe one of the reasons we disagree is I don't necessarily think you need the best player to manufacture the best team. My method is based on a vision of a team construct that maximizes the differential between offense and defense. Hence, I think a team with the additions of Crawford, Walker, and Dampier enable a great offense with sufficient defense - enough to plow deep in the playoffs.

Moreover, your method degrades the team for a long period of time without guaranteed reward - a high risk situation. Acquiring young, talent with expiring contracts worked with Marbury and perhaps now Crawford. Keeping the team competitive doesn't preclude us for improving long-term in my opinion.
Sh-t in the popcorn to go with sh-t on the court. Its a theme show like Medieval times.
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
7/28/2004  12:30 AM
nobody wanted to come to new york when layden was around. if we completely blow up the team and get under the cap, like chicago did, and we go 2-3 years of playing 30 win basketball, would players want to come to new york then? i don't know. all i know is that the whole "blow the team up and get under the cap philosphy" does not work and it's been proven over and over again in the nba. every team is an individual case but i have yet to see one succeed.

the only real gripe i would have is trading draft picks b/c that's where the team has total control over the type of players they want to build around.

rebuilding on the fly, imho, is the way to go and i'll use indiana as an example. they didn't blow up the team nor did they get crazy cap space to sign free agents. they had a GM that knew what the fcuk he was doing and he made smart trades. while we, since the last year of the ewing era, had layden completely destroy the team making awful trades. now we have someone here who's trying to rebuild it on the fly again. hopefully he knows what he's doing and so far, it looks like he does.

on a side note, yes, everybody is entitled to their own opinion but it doesn't change the fact that repeating the same argument over and over and over gets to be annoying and starts destroying threads. that's just the way it is - it's human nature. all these discussions have been BEATEN to death already. in fact, we should just keep two threads anchored up top, one that praises isiah, and one that bashes him. then we wouldn't have to get into this discussion in every single thread.
djsunyc
7/28/2004  12:31 AM
btw, it IS funny how all of these "self explanation" threads started about a week or so ago and it's not a coincidence...

[Edited by - djsunyc on 07/28/2004 00:33:08]
raven
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #316
Canada
7/28/2004  4:25 AM
Posted by djsunyc:

rebuilding on the fly, imho, is the way to go and i'll use indiana as an example.

I 130% agree with you. I don't see how dismantling a team and suck for many years to have cap space but not talent to lure free agents would be the way to go.

It clearly doesn't work. And the spurs is not a good example as they fell in the lotery cause of injuries, not strategies.

We have a way to get it done via good choices, trades and risks through the draft. Gettting guys like ariza and sweets can change things in the future, and the way the draft has changed (high schoolers, foreigners...) , getting high picks is not the only way to find gems anymore.

islesfan
7/28/2004  9:24 AM
Some of your reactions really crack me up. I come on here approximately once every day or two, some days more, some days not at all. Today, I only had time very late after dinner to read some posts. So you had many waking moments to answer a few questions. From the few posts I read, you seemed more preoccupied in answering some side issues instead of the basketball questions I posed.

Since you asked me those questions I had been on a few minutes before dinner and just before I went to sleep. Those are the waking moments I had to answer your questions and I got sidetracked by personal attacks which I chose to reply to first. Sorry if I couldn't accomodate your need to be taken care of immediately. I hope you can handle not being first every now and then. I'm sure the fact that I'm answering your post first this morning will please you greatly and hopefully you'll think better of me, at least for a few minutes.

Atleast strategy-wise, there is some credence to your method. But, in my opinion, its very risky to rely on the glamour of NY as free agent bait. Also, there aren't that many players in the league better than Marbury. The timing of salary maneuvering and availability would have to be downright perfect to net a top-5 player in the league. Even with salary space, there is no guarantee in terms of acquiring those type of players - look at the Clippers and the Suns with the Kobe situation.

I wasn't relying on solely the glamour and marketing aspect of being in NY, although I personally think that that's a huge asset. Obviously the money would have to be at least equal to other offers and there has to appear to be a plan in place where the team is looking to contend sooner rather than later. At this point, seeing how you can't change the past, rebuilding around Marbury would be a plus, assuming they can do it while he's still relatively young and healthy. I completely agree that there's a certain amount of luck involved in the timing of signing free agents and drafting high in the right drafts but that's just part of the game. Although you can plan on which free agents are coming out each year, like next year is supposed to be a pretty good.

Maybe one of the reasons we disagree is I don't necessarily think you need the best player to manufacture the best team. My method is based on a vision of a team construct that maximizes the differential between offense and defense. Hence, I think a team with the additions of Crawford, Walker, and Dampier enable a great offense with sufficient defense - enough to plow deep in the playoffs.

I don't think that you need THE best player to build the best team but it certainly doesn't hurt to have either one of the very best (Spurs, TWolves, Miami, Pacers, Nets) or a few of the best (Pistons, Kings, Mavs) to be legitimate contenders. I agree though that it's not just about one or two players but the overall construct of the team, one that focuses on both the offense and the defense. Even with those additions that you mentioned I don't consider that a great offense because of a lack of balance. You have a lot of shooters but you're still lacking a big man who can post and draw double teams. I know Walker can post up on occasion but he seems to prefer chucking it from 3 point land. Dampier is a solid rebounder and defender when he wants to be but his offensive game is still pretty raw. Defensively that team would be pretty bad with just Dampier and maybe Marbury being at least an average defender.

Moreover, your method degrades the team for a long period of time without guaranteed reward - a high risk situation. Acquiring young, talent with expiring contracts worked with Marbury and perhaps now Crawford. Keeping the team competitive doesn't preclude us for improving long-term in my opinion.

First of all, nothing is ever guaranteed. My way isn't and the way we're trying to build now isn't. I also don't think it's any more risky than capping yourself out far into the future and leaving yourself with just expiring contracts to rebuild. Like I've said in the past, expiring contracts, while having some value, aren't going to get you the top players but rather the players whose current teams don't want to keep. In the right situations those players can be a big help but only when you're at the level where you're just 1 piece away, like the Pistons were when they acquired Sheed. Keeping the team competitive by overpaying for players, as in the proposed deals for Crawford and Dampier could definitely preclude us from improving long term.
islesfan
7/28/2004  9:39 AM
rebuilding on the fly, imho, is the way to go and i'll use indiana as an example

Who else has been able to do it that way? Most teams have to get real bad and build with high draft picks or free agent signings to become contenders. Whenever people talk about what Indiana did they always preface it with something like "They're one of the few teams that have been able to rebuild on the fly". It doesn't happen often and needed a great deal of luck in trading for a young superstar like Jermaine O'Neal. So if you want to talk about risk, that's a lot riskier than building from the ground up.
djsunyc
7/28/2004  10:11 AM
i disagree. you have yet to tell me a team that completely blew it all up and got back into the finals mix within 3 years. indiana is one that rebuilt on the fly and it wasn't a lucky deal, it was a very smart deal that showed vision on donnie walsh's part. they were in the finals in 2000. they then traded dale davis (an integral part of the team) for j o'neal. then smits retired. they made a trade for jalen rose and then moved him for artest and miller. they didn't get under the cap. they just re-signed their own players and made smart trades. that's rebuilding on the fly.

the rockets and spurs drafted their franchise superstar to win titles. jerry west traded divac for kobe and shaq all but said he was going to LA his final year in orlando. detroit could've gotten major cap space by letting grant hill walk, but they didn't want that. so they traded him for ben wallace. all of these teams re-built on the fly.

can you give me examples of teams that went with the tear down to get cap space? secondly, layden filled this roster with so many overpaid scrubs that it was almost impossible to trade them. in fact, their only value came when their contracts were expiring.
islesfan
7/28/2004  10:44 AM
the rockets and spurs drafted their franchise superstar to win titles. jerry west traded divac for kobe and shaq all but said he was going to LA his final year in orlando. detroit could've gotten major cap space by letting grant hill walk, but they didn't want that. so they traded him for ben wallace. all of these teams re-built on the fly.

can you give me examples of teams that went with the tear down to get cap space? secondly, layden filled this roster with so many overpaid scrubs that it was almost impossible to trade them. in fact, their only value came when their contracts were expiring.

The Rockets and Spurs had to get down to lottery level, they didn't just tread in mediocrity, as the Knicks are threatening to do. The Lakers were in a good situation cap wise where they could sign Shaq to begin with and then Jerry West made one of the best trades in NBA history. Not exactly something that you rely on when rebuilding. Grant Hill still had tremendous value when he became a free agent and forced the Pistons hand in trading him to Orlando because the Magic had the cap space to sign him outright and didn't need to do a sign and trade. The Pistons were just very lucky to get a major piece of their championship team that way.

It's not just about tearing down to get cap space to sign free agents, it's also about drafting high in the right drafts and being able to make trades without worrying as much about the cap. It's about flexibility. Most every team has had to get bad and under the cap in order to rebuild. The Pacers are absolutely the exception and not the rule.

There's no doubt that Layden was a terrible GM and filled the roster with overpaid players who are almost impossible to trade but Isiah has been doing the same thing bringing in Norris, Penny and TT plus he's looking to sign Crawford and Dampier to outrageous deals. Why is it that we're the only team in the NBA that's willing to pay those guys the salaries that have been reported?
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
7/28/2004  11:07 AM
Rockets were a 4-5 year lottery team before getting lucky enough to win it, draft Yao and move forward from there. The Spurs didnt exactly go down to lottery status. They won 60 games the year before. Robinson went down for the year, they were terrible, won the lottery and drafted Duncan. Where would the Spurs be now if they had the #2 pick and come away with KVH instead of Duncan?

West getting Kobe for Divac was obviously one of the best trades ever, but Shaq wanted to come to LA to make records and movies. Also that deal was pre-current CBA.

Detroit is the best example, because they WERE stuck in mediocrity and chose patience. They had a core of Ben Wallace, Atkins, Stackhouse and change. They went 32-50. The next year they added Cliff Robinson and hired Carlisle. They went 50-32. Those were the only 2 major changes. Once they started winning it was easier make deals. They traded Stackhouse for Rip. They signed Billups to the MLE. They got better, they stayed healthy they were patient.

This, like all arguments with you comes down to one thing however. Can Isiah turn over this roster and give us a young enough and solid enough core to win and continue to build around? Obviously you have stated clearly you can see him doing anything positve at all, and have put a negative spin on everything Isiah related. What I like about Isiah is having any plan is better than no plan. He's won NBA titles, has been a premier player and a leader and knows the league. It doesnt give me a ton of confidence, but it does give me some hope.

However I'm not going to sit here are harp about how an GM that inherits a roster w/ Ward, Eisley, KVH, Anderson, Houston, Spoon, Harrington, Deke isnt doing a good job 6 months after he's been in office. Its just silly, plain and simple.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
codeunknown
7/28/2004  11:10 AM
I am the only one here that has defended you in the least despite the fact that we can't even seem to agree on what time of day it is. The least you can do is answer a few questions to make your own argument semi-viable. If you have a problem with that, then posting here is probably not the best idea. Not answering those questions is a disservice to your own argument, you're not doing me any favors.

Not every team needs a big man that posts up every possession. The question is what kind of offense are you going to run? The answer is one based on passing, penetration and speed. Ive said it before and Ill say it again - people are underestimating Antoine Walker's high post playmaking ability. Its not just that he kicks it out of double teams. He opens lanes and finds cutters. A screen and roll with Walker and Marbury would also be deadly. Add to that shooters in Houston and Tim Thomas that can create good shots with the shot clock running down. Dampier is a great screen setter, allowing a play-breaking curl play option for Houston. Add the fastbreak finishing ability of Marbury, Timmy and Antoine and, to me, thats a good offensive team.

Only a championship isn't guaranteed with either method. Being a very competitive, entertaining team is ensured by my method. Lottery status is immediately guaranteed by your method.

You've said in the past, expiring contracts, while having some value, aren't going to get you the top players. Marbury is a top player - I though you conceded that when you said "rebuilding" around Marbury was ok.

islesfan
7/28/2004  11:38 AM
I am the only one here that has defended you in the least despite the fact that we can't even seem to agree on what time of day it is. The least you can do is answer a few questions to make your own argument semi-viable. If you have a problem with that, then posting here is probably not the best idea. Not answering those questions is a disservice to your own argument, you're not doing me any favors.

Umm what questions haven't I answered? It seemed that the only thing troubling you was the timeliness of my responses. Geez, talk about getting your panties in a bunch.

Only a championship isn't guaranteed with either method. Being a very competitive, entertaining team is ensured by my method. Lottery status is immediately guaranteed by your method.

If being a very competitive and entertaining team is "ensured" by your method then why don't all teams do that? IMHO I don't think anything is ensured either way. I just think the odds of building a championship contender are better with cap space, young talent and high #1 draft picks.

You've said in the past, expiring contracts, while having some value, aren't going to get you the top players. Marbury is a top player - I though you conceded that when you said "rebuilding" around Marbury was ok.

Did Marbury get traded for just expiring contracts or did they have to include top young prospects and 2 #1 picks? I did say that rebuilding around Marbury was ok, because at this point you can't undo what's already been done and have to move on from here. My problem with getting Marbury wasn't that we got him, but that we gave up too much for him. Those trade pieces would have come in handy in making other deals this offseason when it seems that we're short of tradeable assets.

[Edited by - islesfan on 07/28/2004 11:44:57]
Topic LOCKED
if the knicks stay realtively healthy next year

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy