if the knicks stay realtively healthy next year
Author Thread
islesfan
Alba Posts: 37
Member: #712
7/26/2004  11:28 PM
Posted by Bonn1997:
Posted by islesfan:

Indefinite? They owe the Suns 1 more and since you can't trade consecutive #1 picks

Wrong, Isles; you CAN trade consecutive #1 picks (in fact the Knicks did just that to get Marbury); you just can't trade consecutive 2nd rd picks

I just found this little blurb:

"If you ever wanted to know why the Cleveland Cavaliers were so horrendous throughout most of the 1980s and why the NBA doesn’t allow teams to trade away first-round picks in consecutive years, then the 1982 NBA Draft can provide you some answers."

Care to retract your statement Bonn?
If it didn’t work in Phoenix with Nash and Stoutamire... it’s just not a winning formula. It’s an entertaining formula, but not a winning one. - Derek Harper talking about D'Antoni's System
AUTOADVERT
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
7/26/2004  11:33 PM
Posted by islesfan:
Posted by Bonn1997:
Posted by islesfan:

Indefinite? They owe the Suns 1 more and since you can't trade consecutive #1 picks

Wrong, Isles; you CAN trade consecutive #1 picks (in fact the Knicks did just that to get Marbury); you just can't trade consecutive 2nd rd picks

I just found this little blurb:

"If you ever wanted to know why the Cleveland Cavaliers were so horrendous throughout most of the 1980s and why the NBA doesn’t allow teams to trade away first-round picks in consecutive years, then the 1982 NBA Draft can provide you some answers."

Care to retract your statement Bonn?
I already did; you're a step behind

Here's exactly what I posted

Originally posted by BRIGGS:

no you cant trade consecutive number 1 picks thats why we have one next year otherwise it would already be gone.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bonn1997: Really? That's PERFECT. The Knicks got out of this year's draft, which was considered very weak (and actually managed to get someone in the 2nd round that GMs are regretting not taking in the 1st round). And now you're saying the Knicks do have a pick in next year's draft, which is expected to be very strong because many of the international players (28 actually) who pulled out at the last minute this year will be in the draft next year.

islesfan
7/26/2004  11:36 PM
I meant about you telling me that I was wrong. It's ok, you can tell me that I'm right and you were wrong here.
If it didn’t work in Phoenix with Nash and Stoutamire... it’s just not a winning formula. It’s an entertaining formula, but not a winning one. - Derek Harper talking about D'Antoni's System
codeunknown
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #704
7/26/2004  11:38 PM
It was in the post when I asked if you were 10.

Ohhhh, that post. I didn't read the rest of that one...

Does it mean you gain credibility? Yes, but only marginally.

How about answering some more, eh? Who would you immediately get rid off on this team, anyone specific you would target, what is your opinion of teams that have tried your method and been unsuccessful to this point? On that team that you didn't think was a contender, who needs to be added to make it a contender?

Those were in the post where I told you not to get your panties in a bunch.
Sh-t in the popcorn to go with sh-t on the court. Its a theme show like Medieval times.
Bonn1997
USA
7/26/2004  11:41 PM
Posted by islesfan:

I meant about you telling me that I was wrong. It's ok, you can tell me that I'm right and you were wrong here.
Okay you were right and I was wrong about that 1st rd pick factoid; however, I'm right and you're dead wrong about the far more important issue: that Isiah's doing a nice job so far of rebuilding by bringing in young talented players and surrounding them with good veterans. You happy now?
islesfan
7/26/2004  11:44 PM
Posted by codeunknown:

How about answering some more, eh? Who would you immediately get rid off on this team, anyone specific you would target, what is your opinion of teams that have tried your method and been unsuccessful to this point? On that team that you didn't think was a contender, who needs to be added to make it a contender?

Geez, what is this, 20 Questions? Sorry but it's getting kind of late and I need to get some sleep. I'll try to answer them all tomorrow when I get the chance.

Now excuse me while I go get my panties straightened out.
Bonn1997
USA
7/26/2004  11:46 PM
Posted by codeunknown:

Those are GREAT questions, especially the one about how most teams that take Isle's approach to rebuilding fail
islesfan
7/26/2004  11:46 PM
Posted by Bonn1997:
Posted by islesfan:

Okay you were right and I was wrong about that 1st rd pick factoid; however, I'm right and you're dead wrong about the far more important issue: that Isiah's doing a nice job so far of rebuilding by bringing in young talented players and surrounding them with good veterans. You happy now?

LOL Thanks. In some strange way you just gained some respect from me. As far as the more important issue, it remains to be seen.
Bonn1997
USA
7/26/2004  11:49 PM
Posted by islesfan:
Posted by Bonn1997:
Posted by islesfan:

LOL Thanks. In some strange way you just gained some respect from me. As far as the more important issue, it remains to be seen.
NO, it remains to be seen how well things will work out in the future, but it does NOT remain to be seen whether or not Isiah has done a good job SO FAR (which was my claim) of rebuilding by bringing in young talented players and surrounding them with good veterans.
Knicksfan
Alba Posts: 27
Member: #691
USA
7/26/2004  11:52 PM
Knicks_Fan
TheloniusMonk
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #705
USA
7/26/2004  11:55 PM
All it takes is ONE and an entire board can go down. I think all the rest of us know this. My suggestion to the people of this board is if we want to keep this board respectable and continue to operate with some type of order we MUST ignore comments made by certain people that only lead to the board being wack! Man, just let the people be who they are and the rest of us can ignore that and enjoy the way the been has been running for some time now. I'm a huge fan of this board but it seems that all it takes is one bad apple. I'd hate to see that here. Humor and having a little fun is one thing, but all the EXTRA stuff can walk as far as I'm concerned. When certain cats go into that egomaniac stuff just ignore it and move on.

Not trying to be a killjoy or whatever but I can see where this is going.

Peace fellas
'You can catch me in Hollis at the hero shop!' -Tony Yayo
codeunknown
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #704
7/27/2004  12:04 AM
Now excuse me while I go get my panties straightened out.

Hehe, good luck with that.
Sh-t in the popcorn to go with sh-t on the court. Its a theme show like Medieval times.
simrud
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #474
USA
7/27/2004  8:53 AM
Everybody can relax about the forum going down because of a couple of posters, we've survived much worse in the few years that I'v been postin here, I mean for those who still rememer, it don't get much worse then Playa posting the same crap under 10 different handles.

But Martin and Andrew will eventually take care of it if someone starts to get out of control. That's the reason this boad is so much nicer then all the rest of them, the Admins actually care about what they do.
A glimmer of hope maybe?!?
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
7/27/2004  1:17 PM
Posted by islesfan:

Ward and Eisley were traded for Marbury? Anderson would be traded straight up for Crawford? We traded a ton to get Marbury and we'd be giving up some of our best tradeable assets for Crawford. Now throw in the bad contracts that put us hopelessly over the cap for the next decade and it looks like a lateral move if we only become a 1st rd and out team every year.

Why when someone mentions using our future expiring contracts as a trade asset you say we get nothing but other teams malcontent cast offs, but when you get Crawford and change for nothing but expiring contracts Isiah is giving up "some of our best tradeable assets"

Last year Rahim and Ratliff were traded for an expiring deal. Then Sheed was traded for an expiring deal and a low draft pick. One team got two huge assets back, and the other won the title.

This is as far as I got in this thread... I had a feeling anything after wasnt worth reading. If someone thinks it is let me know and I will page through it.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
7/27/2004  1:31 PM
i think mine got lost in the shuffle...

i'm the first one to admit isiah overpaid (at the time) for marbury but that one move changed the entire state of the team. we were no longer made up of a team who put the entire weight on a pair of torn up knees and a pg tandem of eisley and ward. AND we still got a stud point guard out of it. the 2nd best in the league and a strong possibility to take over if kidd is gimpy.

hindsight is always 20/20 but so far, it turns out that the deal was in effect eisley, lampe, and a #1 (no milos b/c he's afraid to fly) for marbury, penny, and a $1.5 mil expiring deal now. that's not a bad deal considering the other options at the time were reef (whom i hate) and sheed (who is a huge gamble). and if we stayed put, then ward + dice's $14 mil would've been useless and we would've still been WAY over the cap. we still would've had lampe and milos but it looks like milos will never make it here and lampe is still a ways away to getting to even sweetney level. BUT our pg would've still been eisley and we would've had to go through an ugly offseason with dice.

i think it was a very positive first 1/2 year by isiah. if we didn't have both TT and h20 on the bench in the playoffs, we would've probably won 2 and maybe even pushed it to a game 7.

as far as pheonix goes...they wanted to go for broke and get kobe. that failed. they did pick up nash, but for an OBSCENE amount of money (even for cuban). so in effect, marbury was replaced with an older PG who's known for breaking down at the end of the season and the playoffs. was it a good trade for pheonix? only time will tell...just like with isiah.
fishmike
USA
7/27/2004  1:37 PM
well.. I'm with you on all those points. I got tired of Islesfan on another forum because EVERY discussion about every player somehow broke down into is Isiah garbage or isnt he, and it just got old for me.

I have little patience for someone who claims to have the patience to watch their team build with young players through the draft, but cant show enough patience to see what a new GM does in 1 or 2 or 3 years.

It gets old... I dont love Isiah. I love defending him even less, but I *like* whats happened to the team and the way our players play since he got here.
Bonn1997
USA
7/27/2004  2:18 PM
Posted by fishmike:

I got tired of Islesfan on another forum because EVERY discussion about every player somehow broke down into is Isiah garbage .
You're not alone; it got to a point where no one wanted to post there and nearly everyone left. It's sad that that happened to a board that was thriving until one or two posters turned every thread into an Isiah bashing thread

I have little patience for someone who claims to have the patience to watch their team build with young players through the draft, but cant show enough patience to see what a new GM does in 1 or 2 or 3 years.
Exactly; if the team is not among the elite teams in three years (after Isiah has had about 70 mil in expiring contracts), then I'll criticize him as harshly as anyone. But right now, he's doing all the right rebuilding moves by bringing in and developing some nice young players and combining them with good veterans, and he definitely looks on track to turn the team into a contender in 2 to 3 years
islesfan
7/27/2004  5:14 PM
Wow some of you are sensitive. Disagree with potential Knick moves or question the direction that the team is headed and you get all upset. My suggestion would be to relax.

You're not alone; it got to a point where no one wanted to post there and nearly everyone left. It's sad that that happened to a board that was thriving until one or two posters turned every thread into an Isiah bashing thread

I like the way you left out the treatment of some posters by the admins at that other board which is what caused the mass exodus. Go ask TMS how he was treated, which had absolutely nothing to do with me. Not sure why you're starting this drama over here by bringing up the past but it's certainly not my problem. I just came here to talk about the Knicks offseason moves or lack thereof.
Bonn1997
USA
7/27/2004  5:21 PM
Posted by islesfan:

Wow some of you are sensitive. Disagree with potential Knick moves or question the direction that the team is headed and you get all upset. My suggestion would be to relax.

I like the way you left out the treatment of some posters by the admins at that other board which is what caused the mass exodus. Go ask TMS how he was treated, which had absolutely nothing to do with me. Not sure why you're starting this drama over here by bringing up the past but it's certainly not my problem. I just came here to talk about the Knicks offseason moves or lack thereof.

Yeah, you're right the banning of a few people was a secondary reason that some people left. Don't blame me if there's drama here; I've been posting here a lot longer than you without any drama
fishmike
USA
7/27/2004  5:22 PM
that was Bonns point not mine, but if thats all you did it wouldnt be a problem. You hate Isiah with a passion. Any move he has made or will move you swear is bad and is further ruining the franchise. Its old and boring because your arguements are always the same and there is a double standard which I pointed out earlier.

I like talking about basketball, but any kind of impartial discussion is impossible w/ you because your hatred for Isiah is plain, so I chose to not bother and post somewhere else.
if the knicks stay realtively healthy next year

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy