Author Thread
Starks3
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #211
USA
7/24/2004  3:06 AM
Just found this article on ESPN
[urlhttp://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=1845597][/url]
Cursed no more!!! Knicks are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
AUTOADVERT
Rich
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #511
USA
7/24/2004  3:44 AM
He could be going to Philly for Big Dog:

http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/sports/9220730.htm?1c

The only way I would want him is if the Knicks let him walk afer the season, but knowing the Knicks they'd extend him long term.

I still think Crawford and Dampier are coming here.
Armondaone
Member: #379
7/24/2004  3:45 AM
this is what im talking about players saying they want ot come to the knicks. it seems like another bluff. i bet he ends up somewhere else. lets see that makes carter, crawford,shaq,rasheed,kobe(kinda), dampier,etc. please feel feel to add to the list.personally i don't know about walker. even if we do get dampier someone else needs to help to get rebound ( assuming kt is gone). well see later
TheloniusMonk
Member: #705
USA
7/24/2004  10:19 PM
When did Shaq say he wanted to come to New York? I must have missed that.
'You can catch me in Hollis at the hero shop!' -Tony Yayo
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
7/24/2004  10:40 PM
if we can dump more contracts on dallas for walker[i.e 3 players for 1) and use walker as a sixth man --hold off on any contract talks--[maybe even use him as a trading pawn] ill go for it--if we play our cards smart--it could be a good move. if we do some sht like trading for him give up picks sign him to an extension and play him over sweetney---it would be the worse move the knicks could make.
RIP Crushalot😞
diderotn
Member: #650
USA
7/25/2004  12:39 AM
One thing is for certain, if Walker was to come to N.Y Sweetney will not be our starter. Would I like the move? for a short term solution, I would like it. Walker is very versatile, and at time you can even have a lineup of Marburry, TT, Walker, Sweetney, and whomever else we have at Center. Walker has a pretty good handling, and can play with his back towards the basket. His addition would give us three good ball handlers at the starting lineup. Walker, Marburry, and TT, can be a dangerous or potent lineup.
The true Knickabocker..........
simrud
Member: #474
USA
7/25/2004  1:26 AM
Why is everybody so stuck on Walker starting at PF or coming of the bench?

Walker is a much better SF then TT can dream of being. He is a better rebounder, scorer, passer AND defender then TT. Why not just start Walker at SF if we get him? And start Sweetney at PF. This way everybody is happy. Sweetney develops and is the lowpost presence, Walker doesnt have to be forced to play in the post all the time, and we have a great SF who potentially averages 20, 8 and 4 for us.

Our bench all of a sudden becomes really really good with TT coming of of it as the 6th man. With FW, Penny, and Baker in the mix, thats a strong 2nd unit. Very versatile too. We can play TT at PF, SF, and even SG. Or go small and play Walker and TT upfront against small teams and just run them to death.

This would be the lineup:
C Mohammed/Baker/Deke
PF Sweetney/TT/Baker
SF Walker/TT/Penny/Anderson
SG Houston/Penny/TT/Anderson
PG Marbury/FW/Norris
IL Ariza, Demarr, OH/Trybanski

That is assuming we trade KT in the deal only. Jus take out what scrub expiring deal we'd also give up like Deke, OH or whatever.
A glimmer of hope maybe?!?
BigSm00th
Member: #178
USA
7/25/2004  1:32 AM
The only problem is nobody on that team can guard a big man. Any type of big that can post will go for 30 on the Knicks easily. Sweetney picks up too many fouls, Mohammed's not a good defender, and neither is Walker.

That's not a bad idea though sticking Toine at 3 and bringing TT off the bench as the 6th man like they did in Milwaukee.

To me though, if you don't have Antoine posting downlow he gets crazy. Too many bad shots, forced drives, etc.
#Knickstaps
Rich
USA
7/25/2004  2:05 AM
http://www.nypost.com/sports/knicks/25531.htm
TheloniusMonk
Member: #705
USA
7/25/2004  4:13 AM
"Why is everybody so stuck on Walker starting at PF or coming of the bench?"

Because that's his natural position. For God's sake the man made it to be an allstar playing that position. Another thing is, the minute he would face other SF's they'd walk right around him (e.i. Carmelo, Lebron, R. Jefferson...those guys are SF's). Antoine Walker is a post playing/ball handling PF (who could play some minutes at the 3 if need be). Imagine him trying to run around and guard Tayshaun Prince. Tim Thomas is our natural SF on this team.
'You can catch me in Hollis at the hero shop!' -Tony Yayo
Rich
USA
7/25/2004  6:25 AM
http://www.nj.com/sports/ledger/index.ssf?/base/sports-0/109074311533960.xml
BRIGGS
7/25/2004  8:12 AM
you're right on. he's NOT a SF and that is where the problem starts/ PF--to me is a position -- that is in the low block--walker plays from the perimeter. Mike Sweetney is a bulldozer with a sweet touch and DESEREVES to get 1st opportunity to start. Unless we received KG to play PF , I think 95% of Knicks fans want to see sweetney get a solid chance to start and play 35+ minutes.
Antoine said it himself--hes not even close to being an all-star in the west--hes a poor fundamental player who plays little D. IMHO, he would be booed in NY within 2 months-yes he will have his games but his consistency is very poor. You start accumulating guys like walker and crawford to play with Houston and Marbury and you WILL lose. NO DEFENSE brother and very spotty inconsistent offensive players.

Antoine Walker is NOT an all-star and never was. He just happened to play in the water down east and was exposed rather violently by Kmart 2 years ago. In the last 2 yeasr Walker has said he wants out of Boston and now out of Dallas--a crybaby who makes 14 mm--perfect for the knicks:>(
RIP Crushalot😞
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
7/25/2004  8:58 AM
If a slowed down (due to injuries) Larry Johnson could play SF, why can't Antoine?
BRIGGS
7/25/2004  9:37 AM
first off walker couldnt hold larry johnson's jock even with his bad back. larry johnson was twice the basketball player walker ever was at any position with 3 times the heart and fire. LJ was an adept ballhandler at UNLV--he used to key the offense from the circle--MUCHMUCH more athletic than Walker--LJ morphed into a much better defender as he got older when his back went south--the Knicks as a whole were a better defensive team[whole different league] --we dont have that now-- LJ was a solid fundamental player Walker is a freelancer who likes to chuck shots from every angle--especially past the 3 point line. Yeah he could play 3, but that would literally put 3 max players at SF--NONE of which can defend.

i dont think anyone wants walker as a prime component on this team, because he's just not that good anymore.
RIP Crushalot😞
jazz74
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #371
7/25/2004  10:45 AM
best case scenerio is to get both dampier and walker. then forget crawford for now. those are the first two priorities. as far as the criticism of walker goes, i think it is very unfair. people are complaining about him hanging around the perimeter and being selfish. hey, did'nt o'brien ask walker to launch three's in every opportunity? was'nt his system built to give the whole team, not just walkker and the exception of battie, the freedom to shoot three's? then when he went to dallas, nellie asked for the same thing. gunslinging and 'tione is usually good at it. but way back with pitino, he avg. 20ppg playing mostly in the post. he does whatever the coach asks and he gets criticized for it. as far as starting over sweetney, i believed no matter what sweetney will get his minutes this year especially if thomas, othello and mutumbo are traded. just because he will not start does'nt mean he will not have his opportunities. as far as walker being selfish, did'nt he lead the celtics with assist? he is a great passer for his size and will help marbury with bringing the ball up. a matchup problem. he also can play in the paint because he avg. 8-9 boards a game. people are complaining about getting a possible triple double threat who has valuable playoff experience and could be one of the top power forwards in the east. come on, guys. i agree that he can not be " the man" but he will definately compliment starbury.
BRIGGS
7/25/2004  11:03 AM
i dont agree with that. you are ommitting his defensive game and whether he was given the green lights to shoot 3s, thats what he does. he has the ball in his hands to much. im not downplaying his skills, but he is not a player who is an integral part of a winning team. i still dont know what kind of package we would have to give up for him with his HUGE salary i mean 14.6mm to come within 15% you are looking at KT othella Deke--i have to think if we shop around and do things on a smaller scale--we will ultimately be in a better position. i also think that if we have conceded to sign vin b-we have 0 chance at dampier

so you are looking at
c nazr
pf walker
sf thomas
sg houston
pg starbury

you have poor defense your rebounding is suspect and while it looks pretty good skill wise on paper--it could be an utter nightmare

if we can get dampier or crawford for the MLE im all for it even in a swap for abad player etc..

crawford for 6 years 40mm
and e-rob
for deke
othella cesary and williams
RIP Crushalot😞
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
7/25/2004  11:20 AM
you must be downplaying his skills. First of all forget about Kmart vs. Walker. The only thing that got exposed was that Kmart is a terrible matchup for him. Its like saying that Pippen exposed Stockton as an average PG. Its silly, Pippen killed Stockton everytime they played. He shut him down. It was just a bad matchup... move on.

2 years ago Walker gets 20/8/5 and the Celtics go to the ECF. But he's not a part of a winning line up.

I just dont get it. He's 27, and his first 3-4 years w/ the Celtic their team was among the worst in the league. Walker isnt a perimeter player... part of the reason he's usually leads non-guards in assists is because he takes the ball in the post and finds open men.

Do I want Walker to be a part of the Knicks for the next 10 years? Not really no... I'm w/ Briggs on Sweetney, but saying Walker doesnt have skills and cant win is just insane. Play him at center for all I care, he will be better there than Nazr. Heck that would even force Shaq, Ben Wallace... whoever to guard someone that *can* play on the perimeter.

Plus what a piece to have come Feb. Man I would LOVE a Walker trade... that could really turn us around FAST.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

7/25/2004  11:31 AM
Posted by simrud:

Why is everybody so stuck on Walker starting at PF or coming of the bench?

Walker is a much better SF then TT can dream of being. He is a better rebounder, scorer, passer AND defender then TT. Why not just start Walker at SF if we get him? And start Sweetney at PF. This way everybody is happy. Sweetney develops and is the lowpost presence, Walker doesnt have to be forced to play in the post all the time, and we have a great SF who potentially averages 20, 8 and 4 for us.

Our bench all of a sudden becomes really really good with TT coming of of it as the 6th man. With FW, Penny, and Baker in the mix, thats a strong 2nd unit. Very versatile too. We can play TT at PF, SF, and even SG. Or go small and play Walker and TT upfront against small teams and just run them to death.

This would be the lineup:
C Mohammed/Baker/Deke
PF Sweetney/TT/Baker
SF Walker/TT/Penny/Anderson
SG Houston/Penny/TT/Anderson
PG Marbury/FW/Norris
IL Ariza, Demarr, OH/Trybanski

That is assuming we trade KT in the deal only. Jus take out what scrub expiring deal we'd also give up like Deke, OH or whatever.

That's what I'm saying....

Getting Walker would make getting Crawford a waste of life. Penny would be the back-up shooting guard and Timmy could back-up Walker and Sweetney.

Walker is a great teamate....When Boston was getting beat by th eNets two years ago you could see him on the bench telling Paul Pierce they can't guard him and in return Pierce started to believe it.....they still lost obviously.

I'm saying that type of player can only make you team better. Knicks are really one or two players away from really doign something.

I'm starting to think not getting Dampier and Crawford might be a blessing. The Knicks real problem was talent and depth....Basically delete Othella, KT, Mutombo, Shandon DeMarr and insert some quality players and the Knicks are better.

Let's get it on already August is coming!
Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

7/25/2004  11:39 AM
Posted by fishmike:

you must be downplaying his skills. First of all forget about Kmart vs. Walker. The only thing that got exposed was that Kmart is a terrible matchup for him. Its like saying that Pippen exposed Stockton as an average PG. Its silly, Pippen killed Stockton everytime they played. He shut him down. It was just a bad matchup... move on.

2 years ago Walker gets 20/8/5 and the Celtics go to the ECF. But he's not a part of a winning line up.

I just dont get it. He's 27, and his first 3-4 years w/ the Celtic their team was among the worst in the league. Walker isnt a perimeter player... part of the reason he's usually leads non-guards in assists is because he takes the ball in the post and finds open men.

Do I want Walker to be a part of the Knicks for the next 10 years? Not really no... I'm w/ Briggs on Sweetney, but saying Walker doesnt have skills and cant win is just insane. Play him at center for all I care, he will be better there than Nazr. Heck that would even force Shaq, Ben Wallace... whoever to guard someone that *can* play on the perimeter.

Plus what a piece to have come Feb. Man I would LOVE a Walker trade... that could really turn us around FAST.

Good post....

Another match-up that is just so stupid is KT vs. Walker....Walker hit countless three pointers down the stretch right in KT's face. He also scores at will in the post on KT. Walker just busts KT's arse everytime. Just a terrible match-up.

I think Walker should get his wish....don't let Philly get him at least. Walker on Philly would spell bad news for the Knicks.

Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
codeunknown
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #704
7/25/2004  11:41 AM
I posted this before. If and only if we get Dampier, the follow up deal I make is trading KT to get Antoine Walker. Antoine Walker is definitely not the best individual defensive player, but he has decent physical abilities and can fit well in a scheme. With Dampier in the middle and Sweetney off the bench, our rebounding would be impressive anyway. Walker's rebounding is mediocre, but not bad by any stretch of the imagination.

People also talk about how Antoine is quicker than most 4s and can
create matchup problems. But, to me, there are two other things he
does that are evn more valuable for this team. The most important skill he brings is excellent high post passing, a necessary ingredient to getting easy baskets in a half-court set. Like I said in a previous post, with Walker, I can see back cuts all over the place, especially if we also get Crawford. Walker's scoring threat in the high post opens cutting lanes by drawing out big men. His court vision allows detection of the cutter and an easy conversion.
Walker consistently has averaged over 5 assists a game, usually
leading to easy baskets.

The second unique ability of Antoine is that his dribbling agility
is similar to a guard. He has good ball protection and is
comfortable bringing the ball up. Antoine Walker's mere presence
reduces the backcourt pressure on Stephon and also decreases the
probability of opposing traps run at Marbury. Walker allows our
team to get into our offensive sets more quickly and, as a result,
take better quality shots. I still wouldn't use Walker exclusively
as a point forward because I want Marbury making the majority of
decisions with the ball. Just the threat he offers as a potential
ball handler makes the transition into our offensive sets faster and more effortless.

So thats my case for Antoine Walker. I think he is a good fit with
this team if Dampier is acquired.
Sh-t in the popcorn to go with sh-t on the court. Its a theme show like Medieval times.
Walker wants to come to the Knicks

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy