[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Anyone that had Rondo on there list for us can cross him off.
Author Thread
newyorker4ever
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #5816

2/6/2016  12:56 PM
R.Rondo came straight out and said he won't be signing with the Knicks because the triangle doesn't fit his game. Well damn i had him on my list.

http://www.chatsports.com/new-york-knicks/a/source/triangle-makes-knicks-unlikely-free-agency-fit-for-rajon-rondo-12186000

AUTOADVERT
nixluva
Member: #758
USA
2/6/2016  3:55 PM
Rondo might be being hasty in his assumptions. It may not be the PnR bonanza some teams run but the version we're running isn't totally devoid of PnR or creativity. A lot of titles won in this style. Does he want Titles or just to play his way? I would take it as a challenge if it was me. If you believe you're a great player then you should still be great no matter the system.

Rondo doesn't seem to realize that most of the time he'd be running 2 man with MELO or KP!!! He doesn't have to even worry about the Side Triangle!

Knicks1969
Member: #5915

2/6/2016  3:57 PM
Rondo is correct. Why would he want to come and play in a system that does not fit his style of play??
Thank God Fisher is no longer our coach, now let's get Calderon out of here:)
nixluva
USA
2/6/2016  4:04 PM
Knicks1969 wrote:Rondo is correct. Why would he want to come and play in a system that does not fit his style of play??

It's basketball and he's supposed to be a basketball player! My question is does he really want to win or not? Would he have turned down playing with Kobe n Shaq or MJ and Pippen just cuz of the Triangle?

Knicks1969

2/6/2016  4:20 PM    LAST EDITED: 2/6/2016  4:22 PM
nixluva wrote:
Knicks1969 wrote:Rondo is correct. Why would he want to come and play in a system that does not fit his style of play??

It's basketball and he's supposed to be a basketball player! My question is does he really want to win or not? Would he have turned down playing with Kobe n Shaq or MJ and Pippen just cuz of the Triangle?

Dude, I am sure Isiah Thomas would have:::)). If you are a great PG you won't flourish in the triangle. Average PGs who can shoot the ball like Fisher on the other hand will fit nicely

knickscity
Member: #4241
USA
2/6/2016  4:39 PM
nixluva wrote:Rondo might be being hasty in his assumptions. It may not be the PnR bonanza some teams run but the version we're running isn't totally devoid of PnR or creativity. A lot of titles won in this style. Does he want Titles or just to play his way? I would take it as a challenge if it was me. If you believe you're a great player then you should still be great no matter the system.

Rondo doesn't seem to realize that most of the time he'd be running 2 man with MELO or KP!!! He doesn't have to even worry about the Side Triangle!

No he will not, some of the time he might...most? Not a chance. Rondo knows in this offense he'd be a limited player similar to Ron Harper was with the Bulls and most recently Gary Payton with the Lakers. PG's don't thrive in this system, none have. Gary Payton for instance couldn't even figure the system out because in his very own words.....

"You have to have players that can run a system like that. I did it in 2004 and it was not for me. I was used to coming off pick and rolls I couldn't do it. I had to go to this spot, I had to backdoor this way. And if you break down the play, Phil would be up screaming on you."

The irony of Payton's quote is that he clearly does understand what to do in the triangle, but it didn't suit his game, because he was a different type of player just like Rondo is a different type.

More importantly, I find it interesting that here is a player on record reportedly turning down the Knicks because of the system they play.

As far as the rest of your post, it's ironic that Rondo has won a title against the very same system he knows he isn't a good fit for. he's seen up close and personal, twice.

Sure, the triangle has won a lot of titles, but those players aren't in the league anymore and the coach doesn't coach anymore. We've also see the triangle when devoid of talent as well and it's lost every single time. To be factual the vaunted triangle two two L's WITH HOF talent too, both with Phil as coach with the Lakers. 04 and 08.

reub
Member: #6227

2/6/2016  5:08 PM
After watching Conley get outplayed by Jose last night he is off of my list too. At least at max money.
newyorker4ever

2/6/2016  5:48 PM
nixluva wrote:

Good points and i'm sure he would of jumped at the chance to be on those Bulls or Lakers teams. The problem is we don't have the talent that either the Bulls or Lakers had.

Knicks1969

2/6/2016  5:57 PM
newyorker4ever wrote:
nixluva wrote:

Good points and i'm sure he would of jumped at the chance to be on those Bulls or Lakers teams. The problem is we don't have the talent that either the Bulls or Lakers had.

Nor the coach on the sidelines to entice a talent like Rondo

nixluva
USA
2/6/2016  6:10 PM
Knicks1969 wrote:
newyorker4ever wrote:
nixluva wrote:

He has to consider himself a great player and if he plays with KP and MELO that would be a very nice start!!! It takes a little vision to see where this could go as they continue to add to this team. I just think it's pure BS that a good or great player can't thrive in the Triangle. It's a cop out!!!

Shved didn't seem to be held back by the system. If you can play it doesn't really stop you from being effective but you have buy in and learn how to function in the system.

Knicks1969

2/6/2016  6:22 PM
nixluva wrote:
Knicks1969 wrote:
newyorker4ever wrote:
nixluva wrote:

He has to consider himself a great player and if he plays with KP and MELO that would be a very nice start!!! It takes a little vision to see where this could go as they continue to add to this team. I just think it's pure BS that a good or great player can't thrive in the Triangle. It's a cop out!!!

Shved didn't seem to be held back by the system. If you can play it doesn't really stop you from being effective but you have buy in and learn how to function in the system.

A true Maestro will never allow himself to be restricted by any system. CP will not like to play here either. I don't blame Rondo at all, specifically after the Dallas debacle

nixluva
USA
2/6/2016  6:49 PM
knickscity wrote:
nixluva wrote:Rondo might be being hasty in his assumptions. It may not be the PnR bonanza some teams run but the version we're running isn't totally devoid of PnR or creativity. A lot of titles won in this style. Does he want Titles or just to play his way? I would take it as a challenge if it was me. If you believe you're a great player then you should still be great no matter the system.

No he will not, some of the time he might...most? Not a chance. Rondo knows in this offense he'd be a limited player similar to Ron Harper was with the Bulls and most recently Gary Payton with the Lakers. PG's don't thrive in this system, none have. Gary Payton for instance couldn't even figure the system out because in his very own words.....

"You have to have players that can run a system like that. I did it in 2004 and it was not for me. I was used to coming off pick and rolls I couldn't do it. I had to go to this spot, I had to backdoor this way. And if you break down the play, Phil would be up screaming on you."

The irony of Payton's quote is that he clearly does understand what to do in the triangle, but it didn't suit his game, because he was a different type of player just like Rondo is a different type.

More importantly, I find it interesting that here is a player on record reportedly turning down the Knicks because of the system they play.

As far as the rest of your post, it's ironic that Rondo has won a title against the very same system he knows he isn't a good fit for. he's seen up close and personal, twice.

Sure, the triangle has won a lot of titles, but those players aren't in the league anymore and the coach doesn't coach anymore. We've also see the triangle when devoid of talent as well and it's lost every single time. To be factual the vaunted triangle two two L's WITH HOF talent too, both with Phil as coach with the Lakers. 04 and 08.

Its silly to bring up Harper playing with MJ n Pippen or Payton who was playing with Shaq, Kobe and Malone!!! There's no way he would be able to dominate the ball under those circumstances. So yes PEYTON's role would be reduced on a team that loaded! It's not the same with this team. We don't have a Kobe or Shaq! Rondo would indeed be used mostly on the weak side just like Shved.

Moreover Payton and the Lakers did well. Losing in the Finals may have been disappointing but IT WAS THE NBA FINALS!!! Payton avgd 14.6/5.5 with a 49.8% efg which was 2nd highest on the team. Payton avgd 12.5 shots per game the 3rd most on the team. He was hardly held back by the system considering how much talent they had and his age of 35.

As for Rondo I'm not saying he's a perfect Triangle guard but he is mistaken in his opinions of the system. You're wrong if you think Rondo would be forced to play away from the Pinch Post side of the floor. We don't have a Kobe so like Shved, Rondo would me more in more of an attack role rather than standing and watching like Fisher!

The TRUTH is that this system is slightly different with each roster. The way they played with MJ, Pippen, Kukoc n Rodman is not the same as Kobe, Shaq or Kobe, Pau n Bynum. Rondo would learn the system from a much deeper perspective than you do just playing AGAINST IT. It's nowhere near the same level of understanding. If just playing against it was enough everyone would be an expert.

knickscity
USA
2/6/2016  7:16 PM
nixluva wrote:
knickscity wrote:

Its silly to bring up Harper playing with MJ n Pippen or Payton who was playing with Shaq, Kobe and Malone!!! There's no way he would be able to dominate the ball under those circumstances. So yes PEYTON's role would be reduced on a team that loaded! It's not the same with this team. We don't have a Kobe or Shaq! Rondo would indeed be used mostly on the weak side just like Shved.

Moreover Payton and the Lakers did well. Losing in the Finals may have been disappointing but IT WAS THE NBA FINALS!!! Payton avgd 14.6/5.5 with a 49.8% efg which was 2nd highest on the team. Payton avgd 12.5 shots per game the 3rd most on the team. He was hardly held back by the system considering how much talent they had and his age of 35.

As for Rondo I'm not saying he's a perfect Triangle guard but he is mistaken in his opinions of the system. You're wrong if you think Rondo would be forced to play away from the Pinch Post side of the floor. We don't have a Kobe so like Shved, Rondo would me more in more of an attack role rather than standing and watching like Fisher!

The TRUTH is that this system is slightly different with each roster. The way they played with MJ, Pippen, Kukoc n Rodman is not the same as Kobe, Shaq or Kobe, Pau n Bynum. Rondo would learn the system from a much deeper perspective than you do just playing AGAINST IT. It's nowhere near the same level of understanding. If just playing against it was enough everyone would be an expert.

Not silly at at all. Previous to the Bulls, Harper was a 20ppg scorer, his role changed. As as Payton goes, it's not about dominating the ball, but exactly what he said, his game was pick and roll, which the triangle does not favor as much.

And he said the system didn't fit him, his words, and if you watched that team despite stats...he struggled.

Not really sure where you're getting the idea that thr triangle changed so much from team to team, there's plenty of vidoes of Kobe perfectly duplicating Jordans moves in the exact same sets. there's no variance there at all.

Look Nix, I get it, you'll defend the system at all cost, you're entitled to that, but I'll take a professional players words who has played against the triangle and won a title against it over opinions any day.

He said he wouldn't fit, and that's that. Rondo has a title, he doesn't need to be challenged. His team beat the triangle the first time they played against it.

I think his opinion matters way more.

Knicks1969

2/6/2016  7:18 PM
nixluva wrote:
knickscity wrote:

Our headcoach is not good enough to know how to properly use a talent like Rondo. I see him as a perfect fit, but the dude has to be the main ball handler

newyorker4ever

2/6/2016  7:28 PM
nixluva wrote:
Knicks1969 wrote:
newyorker4ever wrote:
nixluva wrote:

Yeah i think it's much more to the fact that Rondo just doesn't want to try to learn the system than it is anything else but the point guard can absolutely thrive in this system especially a guy like Rondo if he wanted to put some work in to learn it. Definitely a cop out.

nixluva
USA
2/6/2016  7:30 PM
knickscity wrote:
nixluva wrote:
knickscity wrote:

Not silly at at all. Previous to the Bulls, Harper was a 20ppg scorer, his role changed. As as Payton goes, it's not about dominating the ball, but exactly what he said, his game was pick and roll, which the triangle does not favor as much.

And he said the system didn't fit him, his words, and if you watched that team despite stats...he struggled.

Not really sure where you're getting the idea that thr triangle changed so much from team to team, there's plenty of vidoes of Kobe perfectly duplicating Jordans moves in the exact same sets. there's no variance there at all.

Look Nix, I get it, you'll defend the system at all cost, you're entitled to that, but I'll take a professional players words who has played against the triangle and won a title against it over opinions any day.

He said he wouldn't fit, and that's that. Rondo has a title, he doesn't need to be challenged. His team beat the triangle the first time they played against it.

Beating the Lakers in the Finals doesn't make Rondo an expert on the Triangle! As talented as he is there's no way he couldn't be successful if he applied himself.

Sure Kobe looked a lot like MJ in the system, he was playing the same role but I can tell you that things were tweaked with each different roster Phil had. If you want we could go into detail on what the differences were but I already know for a fact that they featured different things depending on the make up of the roster.

Harper and Payton reduced their roles out of necessity. It's called playing TEAM BALL. Both guards went to NBA Finals in this system. That is the real goal aside from winning it all.

As I said in a previous post Rondo isn't what I'd call a perfect Triangle guard but that's not really necessary for him to be successful. Rondo is supposed to be a very intelligent player but IMO he's stubborn and that's the only reason he has issues with certain styles of play. So he would only be successful in NY if he bought in and really dedicated himself to the team.

Also I'm not defending the Triangle at any cost. I just call it as I see it. if you can play then you can play. Blaming the system is BS!

newyorker4ever

2/6/2016  7:33 PM
nixluva wrote:
knickscity wrote:

It really just blows my mind how certain people on here find a way no matter what's talked about to bash the system or the coach or the players. No matter what is brought up on here those certain people will always find a way to turn it into something bad which is usually thrown on Fisher. Why not come out of being so negative about everything and look at things in a positive way sometimes. SMDH

callmened
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #4234

2/6/2016  7:33 PM
it doesnt matter folks....whether hes a triangle player or not...Rondo doesnt want to be here
Knicks should be improved: win about 40 games and maybe sneak into the playoffs. Melo, Rose and even Noah will have some nice moments however this team should be about PORZINGUS. the sooner they make him the primary player, the better
knickscity
USA
2/6/2016  7:42 PM
nixluva wrote:
knickscity wrote:
nixluva wrote:
knickscity wrote:

Beating the Lakers in the Finals doesn't make Rondo an expert on the Triangle! As talented as he is there's no way he couldn't be successful if he applied himself.

Sure Kobe looked a lot like MJ in the system, he was playing the same role but I can tell you that things were tweaked with each different roster Phil had. If you want we could go into detail on what the differences were but I already know for a fact that they featured different things depending on the make up of the roster.

Harper and Payton reduced their roles out of necessity. It's called playing TEAM BALL. Both guards went to NBA Finals in this system. That is the real goal aside from winning it all.

As I said in a previous post Rondo isn't what I'd call a perfect Triangle guard but that's not really necessary for him to be successful. Rondo is supposed to be a very intelligent player but IMO he's stubborn and that's the only reason he has issues with certain styles of play. So he would only be successful in NY if he bought in and really dedicated himself to the team.

Also I'm not defending the Triangle at any cost. I just call it as I see it. if you can play then you can play. Blaming the system is BS!

The point was, he won against the triangle, he also lost as well, so what he has is professional highest level experience with it. that's the point.

Some players just know a system isn't for them, I don't see why you find that concept baffling. I can name plenty of good players that would EASILY turn down the triangle offense, and the majority are point guards. On this board alone we talk "triangle fit", Rondo does NOT fit, but having him here would add a dynamic the team doesn't have, and it could very well branch the team out away from the triangling aspect.

The dominant guard/wing role has not changed no matter where Phil has been involved, it's alwys been a key component of the triangle. it has a lot to do with why Afflalo is playing like he does, but obviously he's no Kobe, nor Jordan, but it's undeniable the sets looks similar.

Rondo is intelligent and perhaps he has learned from what happened in Dallas. he's hardly stubborn because he knows this system isn't for him.

knickscity
USA
2/6/2016  7:44 PM
newyorker4ever wrote:
nixluva wrote:
knickscity wrote:

It really just blows my mind how certain people on here find a way no matter what's talked about to bash the system or the coach or the players. No matter what is brought up on here those certain people will always find a way to turn it into something bad which is usually thrown on Fisher. Why not come out of being so negative about everything and look at things in a positive way sometimes. SMDH

So...how do you positively spin a player who'd instantly be our best at a certain position openly saying he wont come here because of the system?

I'll wait.

Anyone that had Rondo on there list for us can cross him off.

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy