[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Should we not look for a defensive minded PG instead of more scoring punch?
Author Thread
shinmen
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #6029
France
2/6/2016  3:16 AM
Looking at the stats, the knicks score 99ppg and allow 101ppg.
We either need to score more or defend better. I think defense is more valuable especially coming playoffs times.
Furthermore, given we keep the exact same core (except end of the bench players) next year, continuity should improve our offensive and defensive efficiency, KP should improve, Grant cannot go but up.

The warriors are insanely good but if you look at it, their core of curry, klay, draymond, bogut have played together for 3 years. They built chemistry and each of them has improved because of that.

I say let's keep the team as it is except for one small piece that is defensive PG to enable at least 3 less ppg for the opponent.

I'm not as good as some of you to find hidden gem or comb through stats to compare players value.
Mario chalmers would be a good pick up in the offseason. He is not totally inept on the offensive end and has a better defensive rating thant conley (granted against non starters).
Conley would be even better but would cost too much in my opinion.
Have you attainable defensive PG in mind that we could get?

AUTOADVERT
Finestrg
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #1069

2/6/2016  10:40 AM
Good observation. I agree with you--would love to have our next PG have some kind of defensive ability as well.

The guy I'd love to take a shot on right now is Russ Smith. He's got everything we could want in a PG upgrade (discernible ability on both sides of the ball) and he'd come for nothing--no trading of assets, no forking over millions in FA. Just need to open up a roster spot and sign him to a 10-day contract to start. Then let's evaluate the situation. If he can't hack it or shows nothing, we cut him. I couldn't picture that, though. He's not perfect, he's no Chris Paul I understand, but he's talented, more talented than any ball-handling guard we have on the roster right now imo, and I think he'd have a big impact provided Phil and Fish have an open mind (Phil needs to go get him, Fish then needs to play him). If he worked out, I think we're looking at a better version of Ish Smith/Patrick Beverley. I'd love to take a flier on him to find out.

GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

2/6/2016  10:55 AM
You're right to remind posters about the importance of having a good defensive PG. Not having one makes the frontcourt have to work harder. By the time the ball carrier has blown by Calderon, they have a full head of steam (or close) going to the rim.

Problem is, we have just as an important a need on offense. We've all seen what it means not to have a PG who can consistently score in the paint, or kick. Calderon can kick the ball out, but they know that's coming more often than not. Not having a PG who can drive, makes it harder on Calderon's teammates, too often stagnates the offense.

Last night we saw Calderon playing like we hoped he would when he was first traded to NY. Mostly a shooter who can drive to the rim now and then to keep the defense honest. Hopefully we can find a decent two way player so we wont have to pick our poison next season.

EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

2/6/2016  11:58 AM
This guy Darren Collison is still someone's backup and still putting up starters stats.... He is making a fraction of what Conley and even Calderón make right now. He's a guy we should look at.
Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
Knicks1969
Member: #5915

2/6/2016  12:18 PM
EnySpree wrote:This guy Darren Collison is still someone's backup and still putting up starters stats.... He is making a fraction of what Conley and even Calderón make right now. He's a guy we should look at.

DC is no PG.

Thank God Fisher is no longer our coach, now let's get Calderon out of here:)
Finestrg

2/6/2016  12:28 PM    LAST EDITED: 2/6/2016  12:47 PM
EnySpree wrote:This guy Darren Collison is still someone's backup and still putting up starters stats.... He is making a fraction of what Conley and even Calderón make right now. He's a guy we should look at.

I brought this up the other day and someone told me Sac. wouldn't be interested in dealing him, that they're battling for a playoff spot out west and DC is too important a piece for them to deal. Well, they're currently 21-29 in 10th place. Hey, maybe that's true but it wouldn't cost anything to pick up the phone and find out. No doubt we have--I read Steve Mills really likes him and has been trying to acquiring him for some time now...If we go with the established NBA vet under 30 route to improve at the point I think you're looking at Teague, Collison and Lawson. I like 'em all, even Lawson who no doubt could still turn things around and resume having a productive career (I think teaming back up with Melo and Afflalo along with a big role in NYC would galvanize him) but Teague makes $8mm next year, Lawson over $13mm. I think Collison's only on the hook for about 5 and change. All 3 are FAs after next season. I think DC's very comparable to the other 2 and he's got a more reasonable salary. Agreed--definitely someone that should be on our radar.

EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

2/6/2016  12:28 PM
Knicks1969 wrote:

DC is no PG.

Why is one person a point guard and another isn't?

Collison has similar stats to Conley for a quarter of the price.

Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
2/6/2016  2:00 PM
Bogans looked really good for the WKnicks. Not used to seeing a guy play that intense defense in the d league. The Knicks might be smart to bring him up. Especially if they don't want to give up future assets in a trade. He would be their best perimeter defender.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
Finestrg

2/6/2016  3:19 PM
CrushAlot wrote:Bogans looked really good for the WKnicks. Not used to seeing a guy play that intense defense in the d league. The Knicks might be smart to bring him up. Especially if they don't want to give up future assets in a trade. He would be their best perimeter defender.

Crush, you know your talent and you're a big DL guy -- what's your take on Russ Smith and Elliot Williams?

reub
Member: #6227

2/6/2016  5:13 PM
Yes Bogans looked good last night. I agree that he would be a nice addition. In great shape too for 35 yrs old!
CrushAlot
USA
2/6/2016  10:27 PM
Finestrg wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:Bogans looked really good for the WKnicks. Not used to seeing a guy play that intense defense in the d league. The Knicks might be smart to bring him up. Especially if they don't want to give up future assets in a trade. He would be their best perimeter defender.

Crush, you know your talent and you're a big DL guy -- what's your take on Russ Smith and Elliot Williams?

I haven't watched as much this year. I post the articles because I think there is a great opportunity to acquire talent. I like Russ Smith. I think he would be a good signing. I just looked and saw that he is #1 on the prospect watch. I don't think he stays in the dl for too long.
Watching Jimmer, he is such a good offensive player but his defense is horrible. I don't know if he can overcome that deficit to play in the nba.
Really glad that you are posting here again. I know you really scout guys out well and I like reading your opinions.
CrushAlot
USA
2/6/2016  10:44 PM
Finestrg wrote:

Started watching highlights of him. He reminds me a lot of Kenny Anderson. He also has great chemistry with his teammates despite only being on the team for a short time.
Paris907
Member: #6099
USA
2/7/2016  7:52 AM
Does Toure Murray make sense to anyone ?
shinmen
Member: #6029
France
2/7/2016  8:14 AM
Paris907 wrote:Does Toure Murray make sense to anyone ?

I liked him. I don't know where he's at in term of improvement in his shot. He was a bit tentative when he was on the team.

LivingLegend
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #1645

2/7/2016  9:34 AM

Posted in another thread but why not MCW as a big defensive PG -- add a Batum or a Bazemore during summer and we have a long big backcourt that can defend / get deflections.

Finestrg

2/7/2016  12:09 PM    LAST EDITED: 2/7/2016  12:36 PM
CrushAlot wrote:
Finestrg wrote:

I haven't watched as much this year. I post the articles because I think there is a great opportunity to acquire talent. I like Russ Smith. I think he would be a good signing. I just looked and saw that he is #1 on the prospect watch. I don't think he stays in the dl for too long.
Watching Jimmer, he is such a good offensive player but his defense is horrible. I don't know if he can overcome that deficit to play in the nba.
Really glad that you are posting here again. I know you really scout guys out well and I like reading your opinions.

Thanks, man. Appreciate it. And likewise.

The way I see it -- we need to obviously keep improving yet have limited opportunities at the moment. The draft (can we get a pick?), offseason FA (can we land a great player or even a really good player or two?) are all things to consider but there's not much we can do about that now except speculate. How do we improve right now, try to turn this thing around and make a run at the playoffs? That's what interests me...Perhaps our best, lowest-risk avenue to improve at the moment is to take a shot at a few DL players -- and I'd prefer the standout DL players, not the ones destined to be role players. We already have plenty of role players and they're always readily available. Look at a guy like Ty Greene -- plays with Russ Smith on the Delaware 87ers. Nice player -- 6'3", pretty heady and he can shoot it. I could see him maybe being something close to a John Paxson/Steve Kerr eventually in the NBA if he's given a shot. But a couple of things: we already have 2 guys just like him (Calderon and Galloway) and we're struggling. What would adding another guy just like them do for us? I've seen a lot of Greene lately watching Russ Smith--this guy's got P-Jax and triangle written all over him but how does he help our cause right now? We need to shoot for guys with even more talent, guys with a higher ceiling. The fact that you've got a few modern players outspoken against the triangle is pretty telling imo -- Shane Larkin, JR Smith, now Rondo and I'm pretty sure the buck doesn't stop there. Maybe that could be a wake up call for Phil and co., maybe now they start to open their minds up to different ways of running an offense, targeting different types of players, etc. We went out and got a non-triangle player for the most part in Derrick Williams and it's worked out well. Why not try to target more athletic/higher-ceiling types to play with him? That's where guys like Russ Smith and Elliot Williams could fit and fit well--as part of a really dynamic/up-tempo 2nd unit along with D-Will..Just my humble opinion.

wargames
Member: #6053

2/7/2016  1:29 PM
LivingLegend wrote:

Posted in another thread but why not MCW as a big defensive PG -- add a Batum or a Bazemore during summer and we have a long big backcourt that can defend / get deflections.

They would have to ask MCW to learn to post more but yeah he might work, next to Batum or a Bazemore (and even a Galloway) he wouldn't be looked to shoot as much.

The algorithm gives and the algorithm takes away
CrushAlot
USA
2/8/2016  7:36 PM
Finestrg wrote:

It sounds like Elliot Williams is going overseas.
knicks1248
Member: #582
2/8/2016  7:59 PM
Knicks1969 wrote:

DC is no PG.

as long as the pg can shoot 3,s and defend, and a decent passer, i dont see the need for an elite pg, when his touch will be limited.

I don't think some of you look at the history of the PG in this offense..Kerr was a horrible slow footed defender, but with pip, rodman, TK, and MJ, he's main purpose was to spread the floor.

Thats calderon.

ES
Knicks1969
Member: #5915

2/8/2016  8:45 PM
knicks1248 wrote:
Knicks1969 wrote:

DC is no PG.

as long as the pg can shoot 3,s and defend, and a decent passer, i dont see the need for an elite pg, when his touch will be limited.

I don't think some of you look at the history of the PG in this offense..Kerr was a horrible slow footed defender, but with pip, rodman, TK, and MJ, he's main purpose was to spread the floor.

Thats calderon.

You can't Change the coach and not the PG as well

Thank God Fisher is no longer our coach, now let's get Calderon out of here:)
Should we not look for a defensive minded PG instead of more scoring punch?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy