we need to do something!!
Author Thread
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
7/22/2004  4:56 PM
Posted by TMS:

i had thought the 3 year offer was for more annual value, but if what you said is true then i can see the logic behind this line of thinking...i still don't think Dampier would take the MLE though...i think the Knicks have more of a realistic shot to get Crawford to sign for the MLE than they do Dampier.
Chicago already offered Jamal a 6 yr MLE deal, which he rejected. If we offer him a 6 yr MLE deal, they'll surely match it.
AUTOADVERT
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
7/22/2004  5:13 PM
that's fine...let them match it then...what's to say they won't be looking to trade him at the trade deadline then if Ben Gordon comes in & has a good rookie year?

to tell u the truth, i don't have as much of a problem signing Crawford to a longterm contract as i do Dampier since he's still so young & has so much upside...i just want Isiah to not bid against himself here & give in to a player's salary demands when he doesn't have to...these players have very limited options as it is.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
CTKnicksfan
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #572
7/22/2004  5:36 PM
Just because Damp may have to settle for the MLE, dosen't mean he will take NY's MLE. There will be several teams interested at that price, though some of the more likely landing spots (Lakers, Mavs, Grizz) have already spent their MLE dollars.

Still, A sign/trade is still possible,and both Memphis or Indiana could offer better packages than the Knicks. Who could the Knicks even offer like that?

If they really want a swingman or a sf, they could do Penny for re-signed Damp and Eschameyer? He fits the solid, hardworking vet mold that Mullin seems to want to build, he comes off the cap in 2 yrs and they lose a bad contract in the transaction. I'd even entertain giving them gazy for that combo if we could get a replacement sf like walker or vince. Seems HIGHLY unlikely either of those deals can happen. Any sign and trade will depend on GS being willing to take on more payroll. Right now, they could let Damp go for nothing. They won't add 9mm+ to payroll for 1-2 years just to do us a favor and take TT or Penny.

For us to get Damp now will need a 3rd team to take Nazr/OH or some combo and give the warriors something it wants for Dampier. For them to take on additional payroll, they will need to get good, young talent that they like back in the deal, not expiring contracts or underwhelming players like TT or Penny who are owed big $$$. If the Grizz offer up Swift or the Pacers offer up Bender as part of a sign and trade, it may happen. If not, Damp is looking at ATL or the MLE.
simrud
Member: #474
USA
7/22/2004  6:44 PM
Atlanta is expected to make a run at Swift so he might just end up there. Also, the Grizz were not willin to do the swap before, what makes you think they want to do it now. Indy refused to give up the onley player Wizards want, Bender, why are they going to change threre mind now. Neither team has the full MLE to play with like we do. So it is really up to a choice between the Hawks offer and our full MLE. And like somebody broke it down, it comes out to a difference of 4 mil if we give a 6 year full MLE deal.
A glimmer of hope maybe?!?
nadavshomron
Member: #623
Israel
7/22/2004  8:40 PM
i still think we need to make deals before training camp.
we need to get 2-1 talented players(damp+craw/rodney white/vc/antoine)
damp is good for us because he can rebound and block shots and doesn't shoot very much.
craw is a young combo guard who can score and pass(50 pt game+5 as per game).
for those who think frank williams can be a combo guard with marb at the backcourt , i disagree because frank is too short to guard a 6'6-6'7 guard and he is not a good scorer (he is a good point guard but we have marb at that position 40+ min per game - we need to trade him for what we need).
antoine is an upgrade for kt because he is smarter,can score on regular basis,better passer and a better leader.
vc is a longshot.
rodney white i haven't seen him play too much (i read he is talented).
LJ FOR 4!!!!
joec32033
Alba Posts: 37
Member: #583
USA
7/22/2004  8:42 PM
Here's my take...he has 2 real suitors...the Knicks and the Hawks (by that I mean have stepped up and made a solid offer). Dampier has misplayed his leverage because he is 30 yrs old. This is his big contract, which he will never get.

Indy and Memphis have to match the salary of Damp...I think indy is the only one that can do that and offer Mullin anything he is remotely interested in (of course, what interests Mullin doesn't always interest everyone else, apparently)....Indy will never include Bender....a 24 yr. old 7 footer with potential, for a 30 yr old who hasn't truly performed unless it will earn him money? The choice is easy for me....Memphis has Stro to offer, but is Stro worth the same money that Damp wants? Who can Memphis trade to even up salaries? Maybe Bo Outlaw and Miller or Posey? But would you gut a team for Dampier? I wouldn't...
~You can't run from who you are.~
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
7/22/2004  8:54 PM
i think ATL plans on going after Stromile & offering him a big contract...they'd have a nice young nucleus to build around that's athletic & exciting to watch...i don't think Dampier much sense for the Hawks at all...that's probably why the Hawks have only offered him a lowball offer...they aren't serious about signing him imho...i think the Knicks are the only real option for Dampier, but i don't think Dampier will sign w/them for the MLE...i think Isiah & Dampier's agent have had a good relationship trying to make this deal happen, & they will end up negotiating a fair deal for ~5 years at approximately similar dollars to what Rasheed Wallace will be making w/DET...the only question will be whether the Warriors will agree to the sign & trade...the ball is totally in Chris Mullin's court now...i think something will get worked out w/in a week's time...just a hunch...i don't think Dampier will be signing a MLE offer anywhere...i am willing to BET that Isiah uses part of the MLE to re-sign Vin Baker.

[Edited by - TMS on 07/23/2004 11:37:26]
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
Mac
Member: #470
Japan
7/23/2004  2:50 AM
Swift and Okafor? Okafor plays for the Bobcats... If you mean J. Smith, he's not much of a shot blocker.
technomaster
Member: #426
USA
7/23/2004  4:22 AM
This FA period has been full of oddball decisions--- much of which comes as a result of the luxury tax. It's interesting that the Warriors would be willing to let go of Dampier for absolutely nothing, even though he should be able to bring in some quality players or draft picks.

NVE *had to go* after they signed Fisher. There was no way they'd need to carry 3 decent PGs (w/ Dunleavy being the 4th). Dale Davis is pretty much done @ PF--- he's no long term solution.

Nazr Mohammed represents a potential double-double type of player who's relatively young and locked up for a couple of years at a bargain price. He's really not much different from what GSW has gotten from Dampier over the years.

Stromile Swift is younger than Mohammed and is more athletically gifted-- he's clearly seen as having more upside. However, if they traded for him, they'd have the quandary of figuring out how much he's worth as a free agent. If he's offered in a trade for Dampier, there's not much the Knicks can do.
“That was two, two from the heart.” - John Starks
we need to do something!!

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy