mreinman wrote:
fishmike wrote:
mreinman wrote:
fishmike wrote:
mreinman wrote:
fishmike wrote:
mreinman wrote:
fishmike wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:Knicks need to run, and get easy buckets and get to the FT. More dwill and melo together

could not disagree more. That is the strength of the Celtics, not the Knicks. Have you seen their front line? We should slow it down, control the boards and bludgeon them with our size and ball movement and I suspect we will. Who is out? They usually start Amir Johnsons and Sullenger... a couple of 6'9 guys.

Kill em in the half court, pack the paint and make them beat us with the jumper. The "new" Knicks win this by a dozen. Lets see if that team keeps showing up.

we need to run as often as we can so that they can't set up their intense guard pressure.

Jose doesnt turn the ball over and we have other guys that can handle as well. Pushing the ball is always good if it leads to easy buckets, especially our 2nd unit guys but good luck, I dont see it happening and its not the strength of this Knick team. They simply cant match our size which means slow down the game.

We will see how it plays out... I think we are built to kill them, especially the way we are playing now. They shoot a fair amount of 3s but nobody shoots it great. Our size should dominate.

the celtics wouldn't not even let Jose get into the front court. Last time he was forced to pull up his dribble near half court way too often. It was almost impossible to get into our sets. If we run when we can, at least we can avoid the press even if we slow it down once we are in position to start initiating the offense.

The other thing that you desperately need against these types of guards is loads of on the ball picks to relive the pressure.

good point, I just think pushing favors their skill set, not ours. It will be interesting if we see some point Melo tonight, or at least to bring up the ball. Some good pressure on Fisher tonight. I feel like we have the tools to squash these guys. How do we take them out of their game? Looking forward.

Yes. I can see Melo (and Dwil) bringing up the ball a lot and I think that they will run on each opportunity that they can.

We can beat them if we beat the press by getting it up quickly and having melo and others bring it up. Once we are set up, I don't think that they can defend our size in the half court sets.
And, Melo will have to pass a lot and pass quickly. If he gets caught up in crowder crap then we are screwed.

and it should even be close (bolded point). If we cant take advantage of that in this game I will give Fisher my first "you screwed this up"

If he gets caught up in crowder crap then we are screwed.
Or he drops 50. I have high expectations Melo impresses his will on this game one way or another. He's easily the best player on the floor. Lets see what he does with that.

can't wait!

Join the game thread.

Not sure I will blame fisher if our bigs don't dominate if our guards can't get the ball up the floor. I will blame him if he does not give Jose lots of picks or options to break the press.

The players must execute the plan if a team presses. The players are the ones who control most of what goes on once on the floor. They have to recognize what the D is doing and make the appropriate counter to that. They prepare for all possible defensive moves and have a counter move to such things. It's all about recognition and execution. As i've pointed out before Drag Screens are already part of the offense and our bigs are supposed to recognize if teams press and do the right thing to help relieve pressure.
AUTOADVERT
crzymdups
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #671
USA
1/12/2016  4:04 PM
mreinman wrote:
fishmike wrote:
mreinman wrote:
fishmike wrote:
mreinman wrote:
fishmike wrote:
mreinman wrote:
fishmike wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:Knicks need to run, and get easy buckets and get to the FT. More dwill and melo together

could not disagree more. That is the strength of the Celtics, not the Knicks. Have you seen their front line? We should slow it down, control the boards and bludgeon them with our size and ball movement and I suspect we will. Who is out? They usually start Amir Johnsons and Sullenger... a couple of 6'9 guys.

Kill em in the half court, pack the paint and make them beat us with the jumper. The "new" Knicks win this by a dozen. Lets see if that team keeps showing up.

we need to run as often as we can so that they can't set up their intense guard pressure.

Jose doesnt turn the ball over and we have other guys that can handle as well. Pushing the ball is always good if it leads to easy buckets, especially our 2nd unit guys but good luck, I dont see it happening and its not the strength of this Knick team. They simply cant match our size which means slow down the game.

We will see how it plays out... I think we are built to kill them, especially the way we are playing now. They shoot a fair amount of 3s but nobody shoots it great. Our size should dominate.

the celtics wouldn't not even let Jose get into the front court. Last time he was forced to pull up his dribble near half court way too often. It was almost impossible to get into our sets. If we run when we can, at least we can avoid the press even if we slow it down once we are in position to start initiating the offense.

The other thing that you desperately need against these types of guards is loads of on the ball picks to relive the pressure.

good point, I just think pushing favors their skill set, not ours. It will be interesting if we see some point Melo tonight, or at least to bring up the ball. Some good pressure on Fisher tonight. I feel like we have the tools to squash these guys. How do we take them out of their game? Looking forward.

Yes. I can see Melo (and Dwil) bringing up the ball a lot and I think that they will run on each opportunity that they can.

We can beat them if we beat the press by getting it up quickly and having melo and others bring it up. Once we are set up, I don't think that they can defend our size in the half court sets.
And, Melo will have to pass a lot and pass quickly. If he gets caught up in crowder crap then we are screwed.

and it should even be close (bolded point). If we cant take advantage of that in this game I will give Fisher my first "you screwed this up"

Or he drops 50. I have high expectations Melo impresses his will on this game one way or another. He's easily the best player on the floor. Lets see what he does with that.

can't wait!

Join the game thread.

Not sure I will blame fisher if our bigs don't dominate if our guards can't get the ball up the floor. I will blame him if he does not give Jose lots of picks or options to break the press.

Isn't this already the game thread?

¿ △ ?
mreinman
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #3189

1/12/2016  4:08 PM
crzymdups wrote:
mreinman wrote:
fishmike wrote:
mreinman wrote:
fishmike wrote:
mreinman wrote:
fishmike wrote:
mreinman wrote:
fishmike wrote:

can't wait!

Join the game thread.

Hmmmm ... I'm game

so here is what phil is thinking ....
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
1/12/2016  4:19 PM
mreinman wrote:
crzymdups wrote:
mreinman wrote:
fishmike wrote:
mreinman wrote:
fishmike wrote:
mreinman wrote:
fishmike wrote:
mreinman wrote:
fishmike wrote:

can't wait!

Join the game thread.

Hmmmm ... I'm game

Done

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
mreinman

1/12/2016  4:24 PM
why is the game thread about melo? It should be about the knicks. Last I checked we are knick fans not melo fans.
Cartman718
Member: #1694

1/12/2016  4:29 PM
mreinman wrote:why is the game thread about melo? It should be about the knicks. Last I checked we are knick fans not melo fans.

Because "This Melo" is going to rape the Celtics tonight! Fun new concept..pay homage to Knicks players by naming them in the game thread.

Nixluva is posting triangle screen grabs, even when nobody asks - Fishmike. LOL So are we going to reference that thread like the bible now? "The thread of Wroten Page 14 post 9" - EnySpree
crzymdups
USA
1/12/2016  4:32 PM    LAST EDITED: 1/12/2016  4:33 PM
Cartman718 wrote:
mreinman wrote:why is the game thread about melo? It should be about the knicks. Last I checked we are knick fans not melo fans.

Because "This Melo" is going to rape the Celtics tonight! Fun new concept..pay homage to Knicks players by naming them in the game thread.

We should make #ThisMelo a meme.

It's so much more cool than #StayMe7o

¿ △ ?
mreinman

1/12/2016  4:42 PM
crzymdups wrote:
Cartman718 wrote:

Thank you! And I get credit for it not RonRon

crzymdups
USA
1/12/2016  4:43 PM
mreinman wrote:
crzymdups wrote:
Cartman718 wrote:

Gotta share the credit, man. Have you learned nothing from #ThisMelo

¿ △ ?
mreinman

1/12/2016  4:46 PM
crzymdups wrote:
mreinman wrote:
crzymdups wrote:
Cartman718 wrote:

Gotta share the credit, man. Have you learned nothing from #ThisMelo

now that its good

dk7th
Member: #4228
USA
1/12/2016  4:46 PM
crzymdups wrote:Very interested in this game - Boston wants Melo to play like he did last game, hoisting 26 shots to score 27pts. It's been a different Melo since then... we'll see how he responds. Interesting if they can try to force Melo into not passing...

Melo's January numbers, btw:

20.5ppg 9reb 5ast 47%fg

http://www.nba.com/celtics/news/sidebar/shoot-011216-crowder-cs-eye-inefficiency-from-melo

NEW YORK – Carmelo Anthony might be playing the best team basketball of his 13-year career. However, heading into tonight's matchup between the Celtics and Knicks at Madison Square Garden, Jae Crowder and the C's are confident that they can contain the all-world forward.

Anthony scored a game-high 29 points when these teams last faced off on Dec. 27, however, he also led the game in in inefficiency.

Boston's defense, led by the efforts of Crowder, forced Anthony to miss 15 of his game-high 26 field goal attempts. Anthony actually missed more shots than any other player attempted in the game, with the exception of Isaiah Thomas, who fired up 18 field goals for Boston.

That type of inefficiency is exactly what Boston wants to bring out of Anthony while he’s at the offensive end of the floor tonight.

“You’ve got to make it tough for him and make him a jump shooter,” Crowder said.

Crowder also noted that a key to defending Anthony well is to stay on the ground and “jump second.” Anthony loves to use the pump fake. He will oftentimes save his release until after he has thrown two or more fakes to get the defender off-balance and open up a clear sight toward the basket.

Thanks to great instincts and reactions, Crowder has been fantastic at staying on his feet against ‘Melo since joining the C’s. The two have faced off twice since Crowder’s arrival in Boston, and Anthony has shot just 20-for-49 during those games, good for 40.8 percent.

Limiting Anthony to such numbers may prove to be more difficult tonight than it has been in the past. The forward is on quite the hot streak, as he has hit 54.1 percent of his shots inside the arc during seven games this month.

Another weapon of Anthony’s repertoire, passing, has been showcased much more often during the month of January. He has dished out an average of 5.0 assists per game this month, which is well above his career average of 3.1 APG, and it has benefited the Knicks on a large scale.

As Brad Stevens put it, “When he draws two people, he usually delivers the ball, and that’s been consistent.”

Stevens also added that, “At the end of the day, that guy makes shots that other people can’t make.”

Anthony has made such shots against Boston in the past; he even did so during his matchup against the C's on Dec. 27. But the Celtics will live with him hitting a few of those awe-inspiring attempts as long as he misses many more.

Crowder and the Celtics want to turn Anthony into a bulk shooter, rather than a bulk scorer. They’ve accomplished that goal in the past and want to do so again tonight at the World’s Most Famous Arena.

i anticipate the game plan being what has worked against the knicks pretty much all season, which is make the entry pass into melo a clock-eating process, forcing the offense to abandon the triangle, whereupon you get too much pick and roll and isolation stuff with under 10 seconds left.

if that happens tonight, what i'd like to see from fisher as a wrinkle is to move the 7'3" latvian to that entry pass position.

since the triangle favors versatility it is important for the growth of the knicks that we can move players around the floor to create mismatch headaches and allow the triangle offense to be run.

again, the biggest achilles heel in the triangle is stifling the entry pass.

knicks win 38-43 games in 16-17. rose MUST shoot no more than 14 shots per game, defer to kp6 + melo, and have a usage rate of less than 25%
crzymdups
USA
1/12/2016  4:52 PM
dk7th wrote:
i anticipate the game plan being what has worked against the knicks pretty much all season, which is make the entry pass into melo a clock-eating process, forcing the offense to abandon the triangle, whereupon you get too much pick and roll and isolation stuff with under 10 seconds left.

if that happens tonight, what i'd like to see from fisher as a wrinkle is to move the 7'3" latvian to that entry pass position.

since the triangle favors versatility it is important for the growth of the knicks that we can move players around the floor to create mismatch headaches and allow the triangle offense to be run.

Agreed. They've gotten a little better at alternating the angle more lately - like there was a play against Atlanta or maybe Miami where Melo was trying to pass it to KP in the post, but the defense fronted KP - Melo passed it quickly to Rolo in the high post and Rolo lobbed a pass to KP.

I'm not sure what it's called in the Triangle, but there's a thing where you pass to another guy and it gives you a better entry angle to the post. Hopefully they can continue to improve it.

¿ △ ?
mreinman

1/12/2016  4:54 PM
crzymdups wrote:
dk7th wrote:

Agreed. They've gotten a little better at alternating the angle more lately - like there was a play against Atlanta or maybe Miami where Melo was trying to pass it to KP in the post, but the defense fronted KP - Melo passed it quickly to Rolo in the high post and Rolo lobbed a pass to KP.

I'm not sure what it's called in the Triangle, but there's a thing where you pass to another guy and it gives you a better entry angle to the post. Hopefully they can continue to improve it.

that might be a pig

crzymdups
USA
1/12/2016  5:03 PM
mreinman wrote:
crzymdups wrote:
dk7th wrote:

that might be a pig

Yeah, I have no idea what it's called. But if you look at this video (I think nixluva may have posted it at some point) - you can see the different options in the Triangle by changing the entry pass angle or recipient.

I used to look at the Lakers running the Triangle when the Knicks first started running it and it made no sense to me and I never saw the Knicks running any of those plays. Now I look at these videos and I'm like, oh yeah, we do that set. We're not as good yet - our picks and screens and cuts aren't QUITE there. But you can see the shape of it forming.

¿ △ ?
mreinman

1/12/2016  5:06 PM
crzymdups wrote:
mreinman wrote:
crzymdups wrote:
dk7th wrote:

that might be a pig

Yeah, I have no idea what it's called. But if you look at this video (I think nixluva may have posted it at some point) - you can see the different options in the Triangle by changing the entry pass angle or recipient.

I used to look at the Lakers running the Triangle when the Knicks first started running it and it made no sense to me and I never saw the Knicks running any of those plays. Now I look at these videos and I'm like, oh yeah, we do that set. We're not as good yet - our picks and screens and cuts aren't QUITE there. But you can see the shape of it forming.

best vid ive seen about the triangle. Pity they could not spell triangle correctly.

dk7th
Member: #4228
USA
1/12/2016  5:12 PM
crzymdups wrote:
dk7th wrote:

in the bigger picture, the main thing is that for the knicks to grow as jackson and fisher want them to is to try to work the offense and not allow defensive pressure break our discipline. it will be a great sign for the knicks' developmental arc for melo to be part of that maintaining of discipline. he has had a habit on occasion this season of being pulled into a tit for tat playground sort of game where his decisions are not what they should be. we need to see the "new and improved melo" continue to facilitate and not put up a ton of one-upsmanship shots in isolation, especially if the game is close with 4 minutes to go.

knicks win 38-43 games in 16-17. rose MUST shoot no more than 14 shots per game, defer to kp6 + melo, and have a usage rate of less than 25%
crzymdups
USA
1/12/2016  5:16 PM
dk7th wrote:
crzymdups wrote:
dk7th wrote:

in the bigger picture, the main thing is that for the knicks to grow as jackson and fisher want them to is to try to work the offense and not allow defensive pressure break our discipline. it will be a great sign for the knicks' developmental arc for melo to be part of that maintaining of discipline. he has had a habit on occasion this season of being pulled into a tit for tat playground sort of game where his decisions are not what they should be. we need to see the "new and improved melo" continue to facilitate and not put up a ton of one-upsmanship shots in isolation, especially if the game is close with 4 minutes to go.

I was thinking the other day that early in the season when we played Atlanta and San Antonio - both teams totally the Knicks out of their offense. Their pressure denied our entry passes and it led to offensive breakdowns.

When they played those teams last week - they got their offense running and got their shots better than they have all season.

¿ △ ?
nixluva
Member: #758
USA
1/12/2016  5:28 PM
crzymdups wrote:
dk7th wrote:
crzymdups wrote:
dk7th wrote:

I was thinking the other day that early in the season when we played Atlanta and San Antonio - both teams totally the Knicks out of their offense. Their pressure denied our entry passes and it led to offensive breakdowns.

When they played those teams last week - they got their offense running and got their shots better than they have all season.

YUP! The Knicks are finally understanding the offense and how to handle pressure and effectively use counters. This is why we all talked about patience as the team learned the system. You can see the players gaining more confidence every game. It doesn't look so robotic as it did.
crzymdups
USA
1/12/2016  5:43 PM
¿ △ ?
nixluva
Member: #758
USA
1/12/2016  5:45 PM
crzymdups wrote:

WOW! Hope we see a lot of that tonight

Celtics Eye Inefficiency from 'Melo

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy