[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Celtics Eye Inefficiency from 'Melo
Author Thread
crzymdups
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #671
USA
1/12/2016  1:05 PM    LAST EDITED: 1/12/2016  1:07 PM
Very interested in this game - Boston wants Melo to play like he did last game, hoisting 26 shots to score 27pts. It's been a different Melo since then... we'll see how he responds. Interesting if they can try to force Melo into not passing...

Melo's January numbers, btw:

20.5ppg 9reb 5ast 47%fg

http://www.nba.com/celtics/news/sidebar/shoot-011216-crowder-cs-eye-inefficiency-from-melo

NEW YORK – Carmelo Anthony might be playing the best team basketball of his 13-year career. However, heading into tonight's matchup between the Celtics and Knicks at Madison Square Garden, Jae Crowder and the C's are confident that they can contain the all-world forward.

Anthony scored a game-high 29 points when these teams last faced off on Dec. 27, however, he also led the game in in inefficiency.

Boston's defense, led by the efforts of Crowder, forced Anthony to miss 15 of his game-high 26 field goal attempts. Anthony actually missed more shots than any other player attempted in the game, with the exception of Isaiah Thomas, who fired up 18 field goals for Boston.

That type of inefficiency is exactly what Boston wants to bring out of Anthony while he’s at the offensive end of the floor tonight.

“You’ve got to make it tough for him and make him a jump shooter,” Crowder said.

Crowder also noted that a key to defending Anthony well is to stay on the ground and “jump second.” Anthony loves to use the pump fake. He will oftentimes save his release until after he has thrown two or more fakes to get the defender off-balance and open up a clear sight toward the basket.

Thanks to great instincts and reactions, Crowder has been fantastic at staying on his feet against ‘Melo since joining the C’s. The two have faced off twice since Crowder’s arrival in Boston, and Anthony has shot just 20-for-49 during those games, good for 40.8 percent.

Limiting Anthony to such numbers may prove to be more difficult tonight than it has been in the past. The forward is on quite the hot streak, as he has hit 54.1 percent of his shots inside the arc during seven games this month.

Another weapon of Anthony’s repertoire, passing, has been showcased much more often during the month of January. He has dished out an average of 5.0 assists per game this month, which is well above his career average of 3.1 APG, and it has benefited the Knicks on a large scale.

As Brad Stevens put it, “When he draws two people, he usually delivers the ball, and that’s been consistent.”

Stevens also added that, “At the end of the day, that guy makes shots that other people can’t make.”

Anthony has made such shots against Boston in the past; he even did so during his matchup against the C's on Dec. 27. But the Celtics will live with him hitting a few of those awe-inspiring attempts as long as he misses many more.

Crowder and the Celtics want to turn Anthony into a bulk shooter, rather than a bulk scorer. They’ve accomplished that goal in the past and want to do so again tonight at the World’s Most Famous Arena.

¿ △ ?
AUTOADVERT
Vmart
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #247
USA
1/12/2016  1:10 PM    LAST EDITED: 1/12/2016  1:11 PM
The trick is if who Melo is guarding scores on him, Melo will revert back to playing inefficient. Melo is a scorer and scorers hate being scored on and they feel obligated to score back. The last thing Knicks need is a one on one battle.
crzymdups
USA
1/12/2016  1:15 PM    LAST EDITED: 1/12/2016  1:17 PM
Vmart wrote:The trick is if who Melo is guarding scores on him, Melo will revert back to playing inefficient. Melo is a scorer and scorers hate being scored on and they feel obligated to score back. The last thing Knicks need is a one on one battle.

Luckily Crowder isn't much of a scorer, but he is kind of Kawhi-lite on defense.

Knicks need to keep the ball moving.

I think the Cs backcourt is a tough matchup for the Knicks - Thomas is a fast, penetrating PG which gives Jose fits. Avery Bradley is a physical combo guard, which gives Afflalo fits.

Though the Cs have some bigs out right now, which should give Knicks the advantage up front. Need to establish Rolo early, I think

¿ △ ?
nixluva
Member: #758
USA
1/12/2016  1:23 PM
Vmart wrote:The trick is if who Melo is guarding scores on him, Melo will revert back to playing inefficient. Melo is a scorer and scorers hate being scored on and they feel obligated to score back. The last thing Knicks need is a one on one battle.

Not sure this is true of Melo at this point. He's been allowing his teammates to get going in games lately. I see no reason to worry about Melo suddenly doing something different based on how he's been playing and succeeding. Also it's about how the offense flows now. Everyone is getting in the flow of the offense and the ball hasn't been sticking.

More importantly is that the team defense has been much better. This has led to a couple more fast breaks and more early offense. There's a lot more positive stuff going on with the team now than there was earlier in the season.

knicks1248
Member: #582
1/12/2016  1:29 PM
Knicks need to run, and get easy buckets and get to the FT. More dwill and melo together
ES
mreinman
Member: #3189

1/12/2016  1:47 PM
everyone wants melo to play like that melo but this is this melo.
so here is what phil is thinking ....
fishmike
Member: #298
USA
1/12/2016  1:47 PM
knicks1248 wrote:Knicks need to run, and get easy buckets and get to the FT. More dwill and melo together

could not disagree more. That is the strength of the Celtics, not the Knicks. Have you seen their front line? We should slow it down, control the boards and bludgeon them with our size and ball movement and I suspect we will. Who is out? They usually start Amir Johnsons and Sullenger... a couple of 6'9 guys.

Kill em in the half court, pack the paint and make them beat us with the jumper. The "new" Knicks win this by a dozen. Lets see if that team keeps showing up.

"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
mreinman

1/12/2016  1:48 PM
fishmike wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:Knicks need to run, and get easy buckets and get to the FT. More dwill and melo together

could not disagree more. That is the strength of the Celtics, not the Knicks. Have you seen their front line? We should slow it down, control the boards and bludgeon them with our size and ball movement and I suspect we will. Who is out? They usually start Amir Johnsons and Sullenger... a couple of 6'9 guys.

Kill em in the half court, pack the paint and make them beat us with the jumper. The "new" Knicks win this by a dozen. Lets see if that team keeps showing up.

we need to run as often as we can so that they can't set up their intense guard pressure.

yellowboy90
Member: #3538

1/12/2016  1:53 PM
I thought Sullenger was moved to the bench
Cartman718
Member: #1694

1/12/2016  1:53 PM
mreinman wrote:everyone wants melo to play like that melo but this is this melo.

Nixluva is posting triangle screen grabs, even when nobody asks - Fishmike. LOL So are we going to reference that thread like the bible now? "The thread of Wroten Page 14 post 9" - EnySpree
fishmike
USA
1/12/2016  2:02 PM
mreinman wrote:
fishmike wrote:

we need to run as often as we can so that they can't set up their intense guard pressure.

Jose doesnt turn the ball over and we have other guys that can handle as well. Pushing the ball is always good if it leads to easy buckets, especially our 2nd unit guys but good luck, I dont see it happening and its not the strength of this Knick team. They simply cant match our size which means slow down the game.

We will see how it plays out... I think we are built to kill them, especially the way we are playing now. They shoot a fair amount of 3s but nobody shoots it great. Our size should dominate.

crzymdups
USA
1/12/2016  2:05 PM
fishmike wrote:
mreinman wrote:
fishmike wrote:

Jose doesnt turn the ball over and we have other guys that can handle as well. Pushing the ball is always good if it leads to easy buckets, especially our 2nd unit guys but good luck, I dont see it happening and its not the strength of this Knick team. They simply cant match our size which means slow down the game.

We will see how it plays out... I think we are built to kill them, especially the way we are playing now. They shoot a fair amount of 3s but nobody shoots it great. Our size should dominate.

Yeah, they need to push selectively as they did against San Antonio. But I think establishing their inside game in the half court will be important.

Curious to see how KP plays against Amir Johnson - that could be a tough matchup for him.

I think the Boston backcourt is built to give our guards fits, which I'm a little worried about.

I missed the first game we played against Boston this season, so I can't say how they played us a few weeks ago..

¿ △ ?
mreinman

1/12/2016  2:06 PM
fishmike wrote:
mreinman wrote:
fishmike wrote:

the celtics wouldn't not even let Jose get into the front court. Last time he was forced to pull up his dribble near half court way too often. It was almost impossible to get into our sets. If we run when we can, at least we can avoid the press even if we slow it down once we are in position to start initiating the offense.

The other thing that you desperately need against these types of guards is loads of on the ball picks to relive the pressure.

crzymdups
USA
1/12/2016  2:09 PM
Oof, yeah, last game against Boston, Jose was 1-3fg 2pts 1ast in 22min. Afflalo was 2-10fg 4pts 4rebs in 33min. We'll need a better showing from those two tonight.
¿ △ ?
fishmike
USA
1/12/2016  2:11 PM
mreinman wrote:
fishmike wrote:
mreinman wrote:
fishmike wrote:

the celtics wouldn't not even let Jose get into the front court. Last time he was forced to pull up his dribble near half court way too often. It was almost impossible to get into our sets. If we run when we can, at least we can avoid the press even if we slow it down once we are in position to start initiating the offense.

The other thing that you desperately need against these types of guards is loads of on the ball picks to relive the pressure.

good point, I just think pushing favors their skill set, not ours. It will be interesting if we see some point Melo tonight, or at least to bring up the ball. Some good pressure on Fisher tonight. I feel like we have the tools to squash these guys. How do we take them out of their game? Looking forward.
mreinman

1/12/2016  2:27 PM
fishmike wrote:
mreinman wrote:
fishmike wrote:
mreinman wrote:
fishmike wrote:

good point, I just think pushing favors their skill set, not ours. It will be interesting if we see some point Melo tonight, or at least to bring up the ball. Some good pressure on Fisher tonight. I feel like we have the tools to squash these guys. How do we take them out of their game? Looking forward.

Yes. I can see Melo (and Dwil) bringing up the ball a lot and I think that they will run on each opportunity that they can.

We can beat them if we beat the press by getting it up quickly and having melo and others bring it up. Once we are set up, I don't think that they can defend our size in the half court sets.

And, Melo will have to pass a lot and pass quickly. If he gets caught up in crowder crap then we are screwed.

nixluva
Member: #758
USA
1/12/2016  2:29 PM
fishmike wrote:
mreinman wrote:
fishmike wrote:
mreinman wrote:
fishmike wrote:

Getting the ball up against pressure isn't only about pushing the ball. The Tex rule is to never dribble when a pass is available and to pass to the man ahead. If the Knicks execute properly then they won't be able to apply effective pressure. Especially if the D is doing it's job and getting missed shots.

I agree with Fishmike in that this team is more of a half court team with some good situational running but they aren't built to run. Pushing the ball is ALWAYS supposed to be the goal even if you aren't pushing to run a fast break.

Knicks do use screens but this isn't a PnR offense and so that's not really a tactic they're likely to use a lot. This is a give and go style offense so they get it done with hard cuts.

GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

1/12/2016  2:30 PM
The rest of the team has stepped up as well since the last meeting, so hopefully Melo wont feel the need to take over the game.

Just like they're targeting Melo, Knicks should try to get Thomas to jack up as many shots as possible. Has shot the Celtics out of games before.

fishmike
USA
1/12/2016  2:32 PM
mreinman wrote:
fishmike wrote:
mreinman wrote:
fishmike wrote:
mreinman wrote:
fishmike wrote:

Yes. I can see Melo (and Dwil) bringing up the ball a lot and I think that they will run on each opportunity that they can.

We can beat them if we beat the press by getting it up quickly and having melo and others bring it up. Once we are set up, I don't think that they can defend our size in the half court sets.
And, Melo will have to pass a lot and pass quickly. If he gets caught up in crowder crap then we are screwed.

and it should even be close (bolded point). If we cant take advantage of that in this game I will give Fisher my first "you screwed this up"

If he gets caught up in crowder crap then we are screwed.
Or he drops 50. I have high expectations Melo impresses his will on this game one way or another. He's easily the best player on the floor. Lets see what he does with that.
mreinman

1/12/2016  2:36 PM
fishmike wrote:
mreinman wrote:
fishmike wrote:
mreinman wrote:
fishmike wrote:
mreinman wrote:
fishmike wrote:

and it should even be close (bolded point). If we cant take advantage of that in this game I will give Fisher my first "you screwed this up"

If he gets caught up in crowder crap then we are screwed.
Or he drops 50. I have high expectations Melo impresses his will on this game one way or another. He's easily the best player on the floor. Lets see what he does with that.

can't wait!

Join the game thread.

Not sure I will blame fisher if our bigs don't dominate if our guards can't get the ball up the floor. I will blame him if he does not give Jose lots of picks or options to break the press.

Celtics Eye Inefficiency from 'Melo

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy