Game thread: Knicks vs Le-Cleveland - No Melo
Author Thread
y2zipper
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #3287

12/23/2015  10:52 PM
markvmc wrote:
nyknickzingis wrote:
nixluva wrote:It's really on Fish to have the team treat KP as a Primary Scorer! KP in the Pinch Post, Off Curls, Off Down Screens etc. It seems Fish hasn't really focused on this in practice so that it carries over into games! You don't see the Knicks forget MELO or even AFFLALO. So it seems to me Fish hasn't focused on this enough!

It's the status. He's a rook. They've got vets they've assured and schemed the season towards. Even admitted as much.

I'm not just frustrated with his usage of KP, but also Derrick Williams. Derrick Williams even played fanastic D today. He was on fire. Derrick is slowly starting to show signs of being a quality 6th man. Fisher needs to recognize mismatches on his side as well. Guys like Porzingis and Willliams are mismatch hell. It's not just Melo/Afflalo.

Williams was taken out after three terrible plays in quick succession. While he played well early, he wasn't switched on at all later in the game.

I didn't like Williams out there at all today for the most part. Williams was effective when be attacked the hoop early, but then he got tunnel vision and missed open players and started forcing shots. Afflalo did the same thing later in the game.

AUTOADVERT
mreinman
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #3189

12/23/2015  11:03 PM
nixluva wrote:
Malcolm wrote:What if . . . Grant just can't play pro ball (?)

He didn't leave college early -- 4 seasons at Notre Dame.

Is this the best we can expect of a 19th pick (?)

A bit early to worry about this IMO.

maybe now charlie ward was not a good comp for him after all.

so here is what phil is thinking ....
markvmc
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #1797

12/23/2015  11:04 PM
nyknickzingis wrote:
markvmc wrote:
nyknickzingis wrote:
nixluva wrote:It's really on Fish to have the team treat KP as a Primary Scorer! KP in the Pinch Post, Off Curls, Off Down Screens etc. It seems Fish hasn't really focused on this in practice so that it carries over into games! You don't see the Knicks forget MELO or even AFFLALO. So it seems to me Fish hasn't focused on this enough!

It's the status. He's a rook. They've got vets they've assured and schemed the season towards. Even admitted as much.

I'm not just frustrated with his usage of KP, but also Derrick Williams. Derrick Williams even played fanastic D today. He was on fire. Derrick is slowly starting to show signs of being a quality 6th man. Fisher needs to recognize mismatches on his side as well. Guys like Porzingis and Willliams are mismatch hell. It's not just Melo/Afflalo.

Williams was taken out after three terrible plays in quick succession. While he played well early, he wasn't switched on at all later in the game.

He's got a very tight leash, while others don't. Don't quite get it - because Williams PER and his play has been exactly the type of basketball you see successful NBA teams play. Multiple ballhandlers, guys able to penetrate a D and kick out, stretch bigs. Versatile. Athletic. He's able to do many things. He fits in very well with the Triangle even. His biggest weakness is the jumpshot. Can't really hit it, but still takes it. I can live with it personally. When he's out there with either Quinn or Porzingis, he's been fantastic most of the last few weeks.

I think most, if not all, of our bench players have that same tight leash. O' Quinn, Seraphin, Vuchoweveritsspelled, Grant, Thomas... if they're playing well they get minutes, if they mess up, they sit. Williams--like almost all of our bench players--is capable, and can be very good, but he's inconsistent. If those guys consistently played at the level of which they're capable, they'd be starters, with much stiffer contracts.

mreinman

12/23/2015  11:14 PM
dk7th wrote:
fitzfarm wrote:How many games are we going to lose because of bad coaching.... Why KP gets no shots and making aa play the Melo role are you funking kidding me we should be well over 500 if we had a good coach

afflalo has no court vision and he doesn't pass the rock. how is that fisher's fault?

cause the coach has to force his players to pass the effin rock!

so crazy that coaches can't control todays players/boneheads.

herkyJerky
Member: #6155
USA
12/24/2015  1:25 AM
Super duper brain fart at the end of the game. Obviously this is debatable, but I would've rolled the dice with DWill out there at the end rather than Calderon. You know Calderon isn't going to play aggressive offense at the end of a game like this, and at least DWill might get to the damn free throw line. Also, earlier in the game there were some stretches of really really bad defensive switching. Gallo got stuck defending Love a few times. I like Gallo, but that was just dumb. Really glad to see KP have a good solid game.
If it ain't broke, don't break it. - Charles 'The REAL Sir Charles' Oakley.
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

12/24/2015  9:16 AM    LAST EDITED: 12/24/2015  9:17 AM
Some things that concern me after watching last night's game.

Coaching, Fisher just cant stop tinkering, even when things are going right. If this is the best we are going to see from Fisher this season, then I hope the Knicks try to find a better coach for next season.

Derrick Williams was checking out on plays when he felt he wasnt getting the calls he likes. Shouldnt get minutes if Fisher is serious about earning PT. Put him back in despite his poor play.

KP couldnt get the ball in the 4th despite a great 3 quarters before that. Looked like Porzingis was an afterthought.

The longer Calderon plays, the slower he is on the draw. By the end of the game, Calderon was passing up on open teammates because he was too slow to react.

nyknickzingis
Member: #6207

12/24/2015  9:27 AM
Williams asset to to the offense is that he can drive from the 4 spot, and you get some guard like play from there. Very important from the Triangle. Whenever I've seen him play, I've been pretty impressed with his ability to push the ball and also drive the ball. It's something this team needs. Quicker transition from D to O side of the court, and someone in the O that can drive. Williams has his flaws, no doubt, but from what I've seen his strengths are greater than his flaws. Not many guys can defend LBJ straight up like he was. You look at our top 8 players, there's guys like Calderon, Lopez, Afflalo and Melo - who just aren't naturally quick. Anytime the ball goes to them, it's a set shot or a spot up. They rarely drive. Porzingis even, at PF, he's basically more of an outside shooter for us. Derrick Williams gives the team some quickness and athleticism. Offsets the lack of it we get in other positions. I've found the starting 5 to be way too slow and that's part of the reason they struggle so much to execute offense. We need someone playing with the starters who is a natural driver of the ball, someone that can penetrate the defense. I'd be very interested to see a Porzingis/Williams/Melo front court, I think it's match up hell for our opponents.
TeamBall
Member: #4386

12/24/2015  11:44 AM
mreinman wrote:
dk7th wrote:
fitzfarm wrote:How many games are we going to lose because of bad coaching.... Why KP gets no shots and making aa play the Melo role are you funking kidding me we should be well over 500 if we had a good coach

afflalo has no court vision and he doesn't pass the rock. how is that fisher's fault?

Your sarcasm is warranted but you're acting like a coach can't speak to his players. No I'm not saying fish is on pops level but if pop had a player not passing he'd sit them. Fisher at the very least can tell afflalo he's missing guys.
Knicksfan: Hypocrite league that fines players after the game for flopping but in the game and with obvious flopping they call the fouls.
meloshouldgo
Member: #5801

12/24/2015  12:20 PM
mreinman wrote:
dk7th wrote:

You need to be able to see open players in order to pass it - read again, he has no court vision.

I cannot teach anybody anything. I can only try to make them think - Socrates
OldFan
Member: #446
12/24/2015  12:36 PM
nyknickzingis wrote:
OldFan wrote:
magicTs wrote:Terrible from Fisher. Left KP (who was having his best game given the opposition as a Knick)out way too long losing all his and the teams momentum. Fisher again came up short despite some very decent performances.

Yes KP only played 38 minutes, he should have played the whole game. Never mind that he has been playing more basketball than he's ever played in his life and he is the future of the franchise - play him until he breaks (than you can turn around and complain about how Fish overplayed him and that led to him being injured...)

No you sit him 3 minutes, then you play him at the 4th Q start. You bring in Lopez or Lou mid-way through the 4th to give KP a breather. He was having the best first 3 Q's of a game of his life. He was on fire. He was defending well. You don't sit a guy playing like a 2-way superstar for 6 minutes of game action when your offense is dry. I'd have a totally different opinion if Melo were playing. We had 1 guy who was a star tonight - KP. And Fisher completely botched the way to utilize the star to close the game. How many S/R's did the team even run with Calderon/KP in the 4th? Should have ran at least 8-10. Instead? Afflalo ISO, ISO, ISO. Silly predictable offense. Afflalo isn't a superstar, he's a role player. I have a different opinion of Melo is in the game.

I agree they should have went to him in the fourth, but have no problem with resting him 6 minutes. 38 minutes is probably more than you want to play the kid at this point in his career - this isn't the playoffs and the knicks aren't going anywhere this year. Let him ease into playing more minutes - the game is much less important than his career. I think Fish probably figured he'd give him as much rest as he could. When he returned to the game the knick's were still in the game - which is all you can hope when you rest one of your key players.

Once he's back in the game I don't know why they didn't involve him - I think they should have. But I'm not going to complain about the coach sitting him for six minutes. If anything he played too many minute anyway and when he returned the Knicks still had a good shot.

But - yep I agree they should have made better use of him when he returned.

martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
12/24/2015  2:36 PM
GustavBahler wrote:Some things that concern me after watching last night's game.

Coaching, Fisher just cant stop tinkering, even when things are going right. If this is the best we are going to see from Fisher this season, then I hope the Knicks try to find a better coach for next season.

Derrick Williams was checking out on plays when he felt he wasnt getting the calls he likes. Shouldnt get minutes if Fisher is serious about earning PT. Put him back in despite his poor play.

KP couldnt get the ball in the 4th despite a great 3 quarters before that. Looked like Porzingis was an afterthought.

The longer Calderon plays, the slower he is on the draw. By the end of the game, Calderon was passing up on open teammates because he was too slow to react.

Specifically, this past game, you sit DWill and who do you play? LT had 6 fouls. Early? Seraphin? Who?

I thought DWill had a bad defensive game, too much unnecessary switching that left Gallo guarding Love. And could he please pursue a rebound? Now I know what George Karl was talking about. Dude will sit there and watch a ball hit the floor while within grabbing range. There was at least 1 play where he could have gotten a rebound and the other team just walked into it.

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
mreinman

12/24/2015  3:05 PM
meloshouldgo wrote:
mreinman wrote:
dk7th wrote:

You need to be able to see open players in order to pass it - read again, he has no court vision.

how the hell does a guard playing for this long, maybe all his life not have court vision? I don't buy that. I think that these players are addicted to their own shots.

dk7th
Member: #4228
USA
12/24/2015  4:37 PM
mreinman wrote:
meloshouldgo wrote:
mreinman wrote:
dk7th wrote:

how the hell does a guard playing for this long, maybe all his life not have court vision? I don't buy that. I think that these players are addicted to their own shots.

there's a reason certain players keep getting traded. it usually boils down to some sort of baggage that manifests on the court and/or off. afflalo is a good example of a guy who seems like a complete player but clearly has one glaring weakness once you see him enough. otherwise he was a good acquisition. however this is in fact afflalo's FIFTH TEAM IN TEN YEARS. it is up to fisher and his coaches to get afflalo to work on that weakness or afflalo will end up getting traded yet again.

his weakness is already hurting the team in very specific ways and at very specific junctures of the game. this sort of play will never fly if the knicks make the playoffs.

knicks win 38-43 games in 16-17. rose MUST shoot no more than 14 shots per game, defer to kp6 + melo, and have a usage rate of less than 25%
GustavBahler

12/24/2015  6:08 PM
martin wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:Some things that concern me after watching last night's game.

Specifically, this past game, you sit DWill and who do you play? LT had 6 fouls. Early? Seraphin? Who?

I thought DWill had a bad defensive game, too much unnecessary switching that left Gallo guarding Love. And could he please pursue a rebound? Now I know what George Karl was talking about. Dude will sit there and watch a ball hit the floor while within grabbing range. There was at least 1 play where he could have gotten a rebound and the other team just walked into it.

My comment was more about his attitude than his play. On one trip down the floor Fisher was waiving his arm frantically to get Williams to go back on D after coughing up the ball. He was more concerned with calls at that point than the game at hand, thats why I wanted him benched. He was doing the kind of stuff JR used to do, and Im hoping Fisher is going to nip it in the bud.

When everyone was trying to figure out why we were slumping, I said Williams getting benched had something to do with it and that he was being too tough on him. In this case I thought his attitude had become piss poor, and a benching was warranted.

As for who should have subbed in for Williams, anyone with their head in the game.

mreinman

12/24/2015  6:13 PM
GustavBahler wrote:
martin wrote:

My comment was more about his attitude than his play. On one trip down the floor Fisher was waiving his arm frantically to get Williams to go back on D after coughing up the ball. He was more concerned with calls at that point than the game at hand, thats why I wanted him benched. He was doing the kind of stuff JR used to do, and Im hoping Fisher is going to nip it in the bud.

When everyone was trying to figure out why we were slumping, I said Williams getting benched had something to do with it and that he was being too tough on him. In this case I thought his attitude had become piss poor, and a benching was warranted.

As for who should have subbed in for Williams, anyone with their head in the game.

Melo does this all the time. no?

GustavBahler

12/24/2015  6:16 PM
mreinman wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
martin wrote:

No

mreinman

12/24/2015  6:25 PM
GustavBahler wrote:
mreinman wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
martin wrote:

No

yes

but lets ignore that.

GustavBahler

12/24/2015  6:29 PM
mreinman wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
mreinman wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
martin wrote:

No

yes

but lets ignore that.

Going to ignore you until you have a snickers.

mreinman

12/24/2015  6:32 PM
GustavBahler wrote:
mreinman wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
mreinman wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
martin wrote:

No

yes

but lets ignore that.

Going to ignore you until you have a snickers.

lol

seriously, its not ok to do that and I really don't care for dwil's makeup. But really its not acceptable for anyone. Melo did this in the last game he played and he was lucky that his many missed a wide open 3. He seems to get called out by clyde on this every other game.

martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
12/24/2015  9:01 PM
GustavBahler wrote:
martin wrote:

OK got it, and agree. Misread your post.

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
Game thread: Knicks vs Le-Cleveland - No Melo

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy