Knicks Need to Show Some Team Magic Against Orlando
Author Thread
Chandler
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #6197

12/21/2015  10:18 PM
nixluva wrote:
Chandler wrote:
crzymdups wrote:Magic scored on 9 of their last 10 possessions.

Where the hell were KP and Galloway.

Did not like Fisher's substitutions tonight. Not at all.

I agree at least w the end of the game and he had a slow hook in 1st quarter

Gallo and KP were missed on D and offensive rebounding

Jerian was playing well mostly and Fish left him in too long. Fish still struggling with rotations. He got out of his recent rotation patterns without KOQ! It's Fish's weakest area so far in his career.

I agree. If koq played who knows. If fish had a faster hook on jose who was so horrendous I think fish thought Jose had to reverse course and contribute who knows? If he used Gallo on Fournier down the stretch who knows

And I agree V had a big night and it may have made sense to switch it up and play KP on him (I wouldn't have complained) but they could have done other things to make other people beat them.

Fish is growing too. On nights like tonight I'd like to hope/think he does debriefs w phil to pick his brain

(5)(5)
AUTOADVERT
nixluva
Member: #758
USA
12/21/2015  10:20 PM
SocraticBallin22 wrote:Here is the only positive I saw tonight from ROLO...I realized that when he is not catching the ball in the high post to start the triangle and he's actually setting good screens for open shots, he is a competent offensive big. The problem this year with him at O is he's in the triangle initiating offense instead of setting screens and crashing the boards...his game! Need to do more of that when he is in the game.

If Fish just made a couple of tweaks and put RoLo in more PnR scenarios, Gallo starting for Jose and more minutes with KP at 5 and MELO at 4, I think we could see some real improvement.

Kemet
Member: #6148

12/21/2015  10:20 PM
SocraticBallin22 wrote:And how about this, guys, maybe Orlando is just a better (more talented) team right now. They hit every big shot tonight. They have a young team with athletes who can defend multiple positions. They have been playing good ball all year. Maybe they're just better...flat out.

No not better than us with O'Quinn defense in the paint, we let the Magic score 52 points at will inside the paint.

Chandler

12/21/2015  10:21 PM
mreinman wrote:
crzymdups wrote:
mreinman wrote:
crzymdups wrote:Fisher should've brought in KP and Galloway around the 4-5 minute mark. Not the 1 minute mark.

Also, did they post up Afflalo a single time all night?

Also, Lance Thomas just got a shot off! Hey look at that, he's 9-9 from the field.

We needed better decisions from the coach and the point guards tonight. Grant was not the answer.

KP in for rolo? Too many problems with that. And even on offense where KP was not really able to do anything against the magic, at least lopez was setting killer picks.

Gallo in for Grant for sure. AA had post ups but orlando played it very well. AA was plain bad tonight.

Orlando crushed us on picks tonight. CRUSHED!!

Fair enough - Orlando just has bruising athletes at every position. They are more physical and athletic than the Knicks. It's a bad matchup for them, I guess.

I mean, I watched most of the game and I did not see Afflalo get the ball in good position very often. Maybe that's on him.

And, yes, I would have tried KP on Vucevic down the stretch. Rolo could not stop him at all. I think Vucevic hit his last 5 shots in a row on Rolo in the 4th quarter. He just cooked him, inside and out.

maybe we should have doubled him a bit? Fisher did not help him at all.

Orlando is much much much better at the knicks at one thing. PICKS! We suck at it other than lopez and they were drilling our guards 2-3 times per possessions.

This^. They take their toll over a course of the game and test your will

Rolo set some big screens but other than him???

(5)(5)
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
12/21/2015  10:22 PM
Magic just better team younger faster better
RIP Crushalot😞
Kemet
Member: #6148

12/21/2015  10:23 PM
crzymdups wrote:I agree so much with this.

And Lopez n Lance got the lead down to 1 pt

SocraticBallin22
Member: #6096

12/21/2015  10:24 PM
nixluva wrote:
SocraticBallin22 wrote:Here is the only positive I saw tonight from ROLO...I realized that when he is not catching the ball in the high post to start the triangle and he's actually setting good screens for open shots, he is a competent offensive big. The problem this year with him at O is he's in the triangle initiating offense instead of setting screens and crashing the boards...his game! Need to do more of that when he is in the game.

If Fish just made a couple of tweaks and put RoLo in more PnR scenarios, Gallo starting for Jose and more minutes with KP at 5 and MELO at 4, I think we could see some real improvement.

Agree on all your points. Team would be much better. ROLO needs to be in pick n roll play to be effective...Jose starting puts us in an early hole almost every game; Gallo can defend better and will attack the rim a little bit; KP has to get more burn at the 5 with Melo at the 4, where he thrives.

SocraticBallin22

12/21/2015  10:25 PM
And if you think that ROLO is a stopper on defense, you're deluding yourself. He was exposed tonight. He is a good defender--not a stopper. He offers some rim protection with his help, but he is not a great on the ball defender at his position.
nixluva
USA
12/21/2015  10:25 PM
Chandler wrote:
nixluva wrote:
Chandler wrote:

Jerian was playing well mostly and Fish left him in too long. Fish still struggling with rotations. He got out of his recent rotation patterns without KOQ! It's Fish's weakest area so far in his career.

I agree. If koq played who knows. If fish had a faster hook on jose who was so horrendous I think fish thought Jose had to reverse course and contribute who knows? If he used Gallo on Fournier down the stretch who knows

And I agree V had a big night and it may have made sense to switch it up and play KP on him (I wouldn't have complained) but they could have done other things to make other people beat them.

Fish is growing too. On nights like tonight I'd like to hope/think he does debriefs w phil to pick his brain

Phil says he still has post game reviews with Fish. Fish is having to learn a lot about his new roster. We often forget this is year one with this particular roster. He's struggling for sure!

Also Phil needs to give him more help and get rid of some players that are holding the team back.

Chandler

12/21/2015  10:26 PM
nyknickzingis wrote:
blkexec wrote:
nyknickzingis wrote:
matt wrote:

Brutal.. Why play grant so much?

You've had a rotation and pecking order that's been going on - a 4 game win streak. I get that Quinn got hurt, but what you do is give those minutes to either Lopez or Porzingis (Lopez because he wasn't closing regularly so he has the fresh legs). And you stick with everything else the same. Instead we saw Sasha/Seraphin in the 1st, we saw weird, real weird sub patterns in the 2nd half as well. Grant played well, but Galloway/Afflalo backcourt with Thomas/Melo and Zinger up front are clearly the best lineup we have.

Horrendous sub patterns tonight. I gave Fisher a pass last season based on the situation and lack of talent, but this year? He's been average at best. I think a better smarter coach has this team 3-4 wins above .500 - this is NOT the first game we've lost with poor sub patterns. It's been maybe the 5th or 6th. Early on in the season, that's a somewhat reasonable excuse that a coach is trying to figure things out, but 30 games in nearly he's still experimenting with Sasha/Seraphin and trying to make R Lopez into Pau Gasol. It's really frustrating he simply can't grasp what Dirk Nowitzki picked up in about 1 game - that the toughest cover for the league when they play the Knicks is when they go Porzingis/Melo at 5/4.

I didn't......I said his substitution patterns last year was horrible. And I have the same lack of confidence. Fisher is a great leader and former player.....But he really needs help with his subs patterns. I like having Grant in there, but you don't just throw him in crunch time after several DNPs......But their center and PG killed us in crunch time.

If Phil is smart, he thinks long and hard about giving Luke Walton a call after this season. I think Fisher is just that - a great figure for the players to trust just as they did as when he was their teammate.

Coaching wise I've been very very unimpressed with his work. I know he's a 2nd year guy and learning as well, but in terms of sub patterns, they're just as bad as last year. Phil being the great coach he was, has to see how limited Fisher is, and hopefully at some point will make a change if Fisher does not improve by season's end. This Knicks roster is damn good, in comparison to last year. Fisher can not be making rookie mistakes like this in important games.

I agree w thi^. Fisher is definitely growing but he doesn't seem to have that extr "it" factor like he's a step ahead of the other guy..

Will be very important thing to monitor and tough decisions ahead.

Did they run the triangle tonight? Not that I'm complaining but it seemed to be missing on a ton of trips

(5)(5)
crzymdups
Member: #671
USA
12/21/2015  10:27 PM
Kemet wrote:
crzymdups wrote:I agree so much with this.

And Lopez n Lance got the lead down to 1 pt

What does Lance have to do with Lopez? Lance was great.

¿ △ ?
SocraticBallin22

12/21/2015  10:28 PM
nixluva wrote:
Chandler wrote:
nixluva wrote:
Chandler wrote:

Phil says he still has post game reviews with Fish. Fish is having to learn a lot about his new roster. We often forget this is year one with this particular roster. He's struggling for sure!

Also Phil needs to give him more help and get rid of some players that are holding the team back.

If we came away with Fish finally realizing tonight that Jose is not the answer at all, and it means more playing time for Gallo and Grant going forward, then tonight's loss is a win.

nixluva
USA
12/21/2015  10:33 PM
SocraticBallin22 wrote:
nixluva wrote:
Chandler wrote:
nixluva wrote:
Chandler wrote:

If we came away with Fish finally realizing tonight that Jose is not the answer at all, and it means more playing time for Gallo and Grant going forward, then tonight's loss is a win.

Yeah and PLEASE NO MORE SASHA N SERAPHIN! 😡

TeamBall
Member: #4386

12/21/2015  11:13 PM
blkexec wrote:
TeamBall wrote:I do not understand the decision to have Grant play no minutes in the first half and then have him play crunch minutes in the second. Is he a rotation player or not Fish? Same with Sasha.

I do not like Tobias Harris.

Grant is one of those players that play better with consistent minutes. But Fisher is killing his confidence right now....with his subs. So does this mean Grant will start to get increased minutes at PG or back to 4 DNPs? Come on Phil.....This is your mentee.....Phil has to be in his ear right now, trying to understand his rotations.

Exactly what is confusing. Fish is so inconsistent sometimes its mind boggling.
Knicksfan: Hypocrite league that fines players after the game for flopping but in the game and with obvious flopping they call the fouls.
TeamBall
Member: #4386

12/21/2015  11:14 PM
nixluva wrote:
blkexec wrote:
TeamBall wrote:I do not understand the decision to have Grant play no minutes in the first half and then have him play crunch minutes in the second. Is he a rotation player or not Fish? Same with Sasha.

Grant is one of those players that play better with consistent minutes. But Fisher is killing his confidence right now....with his subs. So does this mean Grant will start to get increased minutes at PG or back to 4 DNPs? Come on Phil.....This is your mentee.....Phil has to be in his ear right now, trying to understand his rotations.

Fish really seems to be struggling with his roster! I have hope tho! Jerian got real playing time tho Fish messed it up but if this means more minutes for Jerian so be it.

I think Fish was lost when KOQ wasn't in there. Those minutes with Seraphin MURDERED the flow we normally have off the bench. We also didn't need Sasha's minutes.

+1 especially the bit about Seraphin. That was an ugly change of pace for the Knicks.
Sasha's minutes were confusing.
Knicksfan: Hypocrite league that fines players after the game for flopping but in the game and with obvious flopping they call the fouls.
nixluva
USA
12/21/2015  11:57 PM
TeamBall wrote:
nixluva wrote:
blkexec wrote:

Fish really seems to be struggling with his roster! I have hope tho! Jerian got real playing time tho Fish messed it up but if this means more minutes for Jerian so be it.

I think Fish was lost when KOQ wasn't in there. Those minutes with Seraphin MURDERED the flow we normally have off the bench. We also didn't need Sasha's minutes.

+1 especially the bit about Seraphin. That was an ugly change of pace for the Knicks.
Sasha's minutes were confusing.

I just keep hoping the NEXT game is the one Fish will DNP Sasha and Seraphin and limit Jose's minutes!

meloshouldgo
Member: #5801

12/22/2015  12:33 AM
Didn't see anything - did Melo get hurt? Hope it wasn't bad? I saw he led the team is assists, which is fantastic. Jose had 4 pts and 2 assists - YUCK
I cannot teach anybody anything. I can only try to make them think - Socrates
herkyJerky
Member: #6155
USA
12/22/2015  1:09 AM
LT had a fantastic game tonight. That dude is really starting to shape out into something really good for us off the bench. I can only wonder how different things would've turned out if The Mighty O had been in the rotation. RoLo was not as bad as some people might want to make it out to seem. That one PnR play with him and Melo was pretty awesome. I'd like to see a little more of that in the near future. To me it seemed that the problems really started when the Knicks were switching too much on defense, especially in the 1st half. That was not working at all. AA was obviously off tonight, but I will give him credit for not trying to force it. I'd rather 2 for 8 over 2 or 3 for 13 or 14 or something ridiculous like that. Also, as off as Seraphin was tonight, you can't really blame Fisher for giving him some minutes. With The Mighty O out with a sprained ankle, what is he supposed to do? But I'm not going to forget that we just came off a 4 game winning streak. This would've been a great game to win though, because the next 3 are going to be pretty tough.
If it ain't broke, don't break it. - Charles 'The REAL Sir Charles' Oakley.
OldFan
Member: #446
12/22/2015  7:35 AM
Fish has not been great but does not deserve all the blame he gets on this board.

The problem comes down to we have no starting point guard. I agree that Jose is not a starting point guard, but Grant is not the answer - at least not yet. Grant can't shoot and he turns the ball over. His defense is better than Jose's but not that good. I like Gallo but he has been wildly inconsistent and he's playing about the same number of minutes as Calderon now, I don't think playing him a few more minutes and Calderon a few less will make much of a difference.

For this team to get better, either the players need to get better or more likely we need some new players.

The coach can only do so much.

blkexec
Member: #748
12/22/2015  8:00 AM
Vmart wrote:Anyone know why this team loses home games so easily. Why do they play like the opponent is going to lay down and roll over for them.

Visiting teams bring their best game to NY......It's been that way forever. NY is the mecca of basketball......

Born in Brooklyn, Raised in Queens, Lives in Maryland. The future is bright, I'm a Knicks fan for life!
Knicks Need to Show Some Team Magic Against Orlando

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy