[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

No! We're thinking about this center position all wrong!

Author Poll
subzero0
Member: #410
Arvydas Sabonis, Vlade Divac, Tim Duncan, etc.,. Are you seeing a common theme here? These players teams were effective against Shaq's Lakers for a reason. Centers that could shoot are twice as effective against Shaq than a run of the mill big body. By forcing Shaq to the perimeter it allows swingmen penetration. How could Isaiah of all people overlook this simple fact! If we get Dampier i think we will be like everyone else, a good team but absolutely defenseless against a team anchored by Shaq. Instead we should do everything possible to get Zydrundas Illgauskus. By going at Shaq on the offensive end we will be wearing down his entire game, Shaq is suseptible to getting tired and he has to be drawn out of the middle. A shooting center like Illgauskus could do that. But thats just my humble opinion. What do you think, Dampier or Illgauskus ?
Dampier
Illgauskus
View Results

Author Thread
s3231
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #544
USA
7/19/2004  11:50 AM
Dampier was very effective against Shaq last year, why don't you go look up his stats on what he did against him? Dampier is just a better fit than Big Z is, its that simple. We already have scorers, we just need a big guy that can rebound and block shots. Dampier fits that perfectly, plus its not like he can't score either. I really think he can put up 15 ppg when he is on the same team with Marbury.

[Edited by - s3231 on 07/19/2004 11:50:55]
"This is a very cautious situation that we're in. You have to be conservative in terms of using your assets and using them wisely. We're building for the future." - Zeke (I guess not protecting a first round pick is being conservative)
AUTOADVERT
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
7/19/2004  12:04 PM
I was all for getting Dampier until Z's name came up. But it doesn't look like Z's a possibility so Dampier it shall be!
crzymdups
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #671
USA
7/19/2004  12:10 PM
Sigh.

We DO NOT need offense. We need defense.

Damps is a two way player. Zydrunas is a joke on defense. Period.

And how will Miami propose to stop Marbury, Houston and Tim Thomas? Or Sweets even? It doesn't matter if Damps can't score on Shaq as long as Shaq can't easily score on Damps. That's why we need Damps, he's the only big man other than Duncan or the Wallace boys who has a CHANCE to stop Shaq.
¿ △ ?
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
7/19/2004  12:32 PM
I know Dampier's contract is going to come back and bite us towards the end.......but oh well
s3231
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #544
USA
7/19/2004  12:55 PM
Posted by gunsnewing:

I know Dampier's contract is going to come back and bite us towards the end.......but oh well

It won't be that bad if Isiah puts a team option, have faith in Zeke, he hasn't let us down yet.
"This is a very cautious situation that we're in. You have to be conservative in terms of using your assets and using them wisely. We're building for the future." - Zeke (I guess not protecting a first round pick is being conservative)
Knicksfan
Alba Posts: 27
Member: #691
USA
7/19/2004  2:25 PM
Posted by s3231:
Posted by gunsnewing:

Im really hoping for Isiah to put that team option. In a long deal, thats vital.

About the question, Ilgauskas would have helped us as a true tall center and as an expiring contract, two good improvements. But Z was just a rumor, just something to maybe help Isiah on the Crawford deal. After losing Boozer, the Cavs would be dumb to trade him for KT now that Shaq is in the East; they still want to make the playoffs. Dampier brings good things to NY if he performs like he can. On a winning team that expects to make the playoffs and that will give him more time to play than GS, we could see Dampier becoming a more consistent player. We will see. But the most possible deal is for Dampier, and thats a good option at the right price. So bring the Damp to NY!

It won't be that bad if Isiah puts a team option, have faith in Zeke, he hasn't let us down yet.
Knicks_Fan
TheloniusMonk
Member: #705
USA
7/19/2004  3:08 PM
"Arvydas Sabonis, Vlade Divac, Tim Duncan, etc.,. Are you seeing a common theme here? These players teams were effective against Shaq's Lakers for a reason. Centers that could shoot are twice as effective against Shaq than a run of the mill big body. By forcing Shaq to the perimeter it allows swingmen penetration. How could Isaiah of all people overlook this simple fact!"

Actually, Shaq was thouroughly out played by Ben Wallace who has absolutely NO outside shot. Every now and then he popped a jumper in, but for the most part he just outworked Shaq flat out. The way Detroit beat the Lakers (at least from the Shaq angle) was they played him straight up.....no double teams. Dampier (IF we get him) allows us to do the same. No doubles on Shaq. Let him get his 25 to 30 points if that's the case. But it will remain that Wade and Eddie Jones would have to beat Steph, TT, H20, Sweets (and possibly Crawford or Walker). The Heat are considerably worse at the forward positions now. Wade and Jones will have to work pretty hard this season because outside of Shaq they have very little help....especially against teams who are not doubling Shaq. If teams double him, that opens up everything for the Heat. I believe Detroit has changed the way teams will try and play Shaq. Straight up!
'You can catch me in Hollis at the hero shop!' -Tony Yayo
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
7/19/2004  3:10 PM
I would like one of each for the fouls. I liked Doleac, he would have pulled shaq out on D.

THe way to beat him is to make him work the whole game.

Damp will make a nice back up for us one day.
raven
Member: #316
Canada
7/19/2004  3:16 PM
Posted by Nalod:

Damp will make a nice back up for us one day.

An oasis of wisdom. thanks, nalod.
No! We're thinking about this center position all wrong!

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy