[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Penny included in latest Crawford deal according to Chicago Tribune...
Author Thread
s3231
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #544
USA
7/18/2004  11:17 PM
"The Bulls and Knicks continue to exchange ideas on a sign-and-trade deal for Jamal Crawford, with Penny Hardaway being the latest name discussed. The Bulls aren't expected to have interest in Hardaway. The Knicks also are dangling names that would need to be included in a Crawford deal in sign-and-trade talks with Golden State about Erick Dampier.

Bulls management is preparing to possibly have Crawford return. Coach Scott Skiles recently talked with Crawford on the phone, sharing a story in which he returned to a team after a messy summer of contract negotiations.

And the Bulls are hopeful-if Crawford returns-that he can stay professional like Stephen Jackson did in Atlanta last season after getting burned in the free-agent market last summer.

The Bulls remain confident Andres Nocioni will sign as soon as his buyout with Tau Ceramica is completed."

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/basketball/bulls/cs-040718bullsbits,1,7039113.story?coll=cs-home-headlines

[Edited by - s3231 on 07/18/2004 23:18:25]
"This is a very cautious situation that we're in. You have to be conservative in terms of using your assets and using them wisely. We're building for the future." - Zeke (I guess not protecting a first round pick is being conservative)
AUTOADVERT
Knicksfan
Alba Posts: 27
Member: #691
USA
7/19/2004  12:04 AM
Definitely not good news. It seems like Isiah is losing his chance on Crawford, if those reports are right. Including Penny in the deal is something strange. I think the Bulls had already had enough with Shandon and Moochie to now consider Penny. Maybe this is an attempt to make Isiah committ completely on the Crawford trade, but to me the Bulls are really giving up on trading Crawford. And thats not good for us.

Not that I'm a Crawford fan, I don't really know enough from him, but this deal was really good in other ways like getting rid of at least Shandon Anderson, along with getting some role players that could help us. I really wonder if a deal for Dampier would be has possitive. A trade where we lose a lot of players, get bad players in return along with a Dampier signed to a terrible contract really scares me. The fact that Isiah is using some players from the Crawford deal isn't a good indication about things. Im still not sure about Dampier. Shaq stopper he isn't, but at the right price he can definitely help. But who knows if the deal will leave us in a worse shape than the Crawford trade.

I wonder if Isiah will get something done. But it looks like the Crawford trade is dead.
Knicks_Fan
raven
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #316
Canada
7/19/2004  2:47 AM
it's gonna be fun. I can't wait to see how the bulls will succeed in explaining to crawford that they're happy to see him back after trying to trade him a thousand times and drafting the third guard in three yrs.

BigSm00th
Member: #178
USA
7/19/2004  3:20 AM
This makes a lot of sense, his contract expires one year before Shandon's.
#Knickstaps
Rich
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #511
USA
7/19/2004  3:27 AM
It's all posturing in an attempt to gain an advantage in the negotiations.
BigSm00th
Member: #178
USA
7/19/2004  4:02 AM
It's basically Hardaway for JYD and Eddie Robinson, and Crawford for expiring contracts.

Crawford for the contracts is a wash, since if Crawford wasn't resigned he wouldn't count against the CBA, and they don't lose much with him gone now that they have Gordon and the Italian guy.

Hardaway for JYD and ERob favors the Bulls. Hardaway comes off 1 year earlier, you've consolidated two unhappy, whiny players with 3 years left into a knowledgeable vet who could serve the role they wanted Pippen to play with 2 years left.

If Chicago has a brain they'll accept the deal. Let's just hope the Knicks don't go nuts and sign Crawford to a deal starting at $9 mil. Trade Penny and Mutumbo (and possibly Frank or Trybanski) for JYD, ERob, and Crawford resigned to a 5 or 6 year deal. If it's Penny and Mutumbo, Crawford's contract starts between $6.5 and $7 million. If it's Penny, Mutumbo, and either Trybanski or Williams, add a million to that. Not sure how that comes out after 6 or 7 years.

Imagine if the Knicks got Crawford AND Dampier and retained Frank Williams and Kurt Thomas. That'd be ridiculous, absolutely ridiculous. Shockingly, it just might happen.

[Edited by - bigsm00th on 07/19/2004 04:05:03]
#Knickstaps
raven
Member: #316
Canada
7/19/2004  5:31 AM
priority one in that case would be to make some roster space.
franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
7/19/2004  9:33 AM
Surprisingly, I'm not excited to see penny go- I think he can play a nice role on this team.

And the Bulls should take a hard look at this deal- it does make some sense- they turn two bad contracts into one, its a bit less total money due and comes off the books sooner

and, when he is in the last year of his contract, a lot more valuable to trade away- potentially if they want to go that route.

I just hope we can keep open roster spots for the likes of Ariza
nyballer
Member: #108
USA
7/19/2004  9:59 AM
Posted by franco12:

Surprisingly, I'm not excited to see penny go- I think he can play a nice role on this team.

And the Bulls should take a hard look at this deal- it does make some sense- they turn two bad contracts into one, its a bit less total money due and comes off the books sooner

and, when he is in the last year of his contract, a lot more valuable to trade away- potentially if they want to go that route.

I just hope we can keep open roster spots for the likes of Ariza
I don't hate the deal, but I'd rather not give up Penny. I know he's drastically overpaid and such, but he is probably the smartest player on the team and he's the type of guy I want out there in the fourth quarter. He's always been an intelligent player and now he's an excellent role player, which is what we're going to need eventually, we can't just keep getting big name big time scorers. look at the teams that have won in the past years - detroit won because of role players, LA couldn't win without role players, SA won with role players around Duncan and parker. Then again, its tough to turn down a deal for a guy like crawford when you're basically giving up an aging injury prone guard.
"easy like sunday morning..." - walt clyde
crzymdups
Member: #671
USA
7/19/2004  10:45 AM
I think Chicago is far too stupid to accept Penny. I would have mixed feelings about losing him. I like him basically playing the LJ role on this team (hitting those 4th quarter threes from the corner when no one else wants to take the shot).

Getting Dampier still allows Zeke to make the Toine Walker deal for Kurt, Deke and Frank or some combo like that. We shall see. Once Damps is here, the pieces will start to fall into place...
¿ △ ?
s3231
Member: #544
USA
7/19/2004  11:05 AM
Penny has been my favorite player in the NBA ever since he was a rookie in Orlando (the Magic used to be one of my favorite teams), however, if we can get Jamal Crawford for him at a low price then I would think that Isiah should do it. Penny can still play, he showed that in the playoffs and during the season he won some games for us with his clutch shots. It would be sad to see him go but getting Jamal Crawford in return would be very nice. Penny's expiring contract is gonna be a huge trade asset next year and that is why I think the Bulls would accept a trade with Penny involved.
"This is a very cautious situation that we're in. You have to be conservative in terms of using your assets and using them wisely. We're building for the future." - Zeke (I guess not protecting a first round pick is being conservative)
toodarkmark
Member: #515
USA
7/19/2004  11:47 PM
I hope the Knicks can keep Penny. I hope the Bulls go for a Shandon Anderson, Mutumbo, F Williams for J Crawford and E Robinson. Hopefully they hate E Robinson enough to take on Shandon's last year, and see F Williams a prospect enough to take on instead of losing Crawford for nothing. Let's hope Archie and Jamal create enough of a mess that they Bulls have no choice.
I don't care what people think. People are stupid. - Charles Barkley
technomaster
Member: #426
USA
7/20/2004  1:38 AM
The things I enjoy most about Frank Williams are his energy, ability to slice to the basket, and his defensive swagger--- he plays tough, albeit not necessarily effectively.

I think given the reigns of the Bulls, he'd be able to match Kirk Hinrich's poise and production. FW would probably be a key player in this deal, although the Bulls just keep drafting PGs...

What IT probably likes most about Crawford is his demonstrated ability to dominate games and score points. He's not particularly consistent, judging by his up and down game log. His FG% was downright poor at 38%... his 3pt shooting is probably below avg for a starting SG (31%).

What really is fair value for a young chucker with no discipline, who's gotten a couple of coaches fired already?

I think Isiah is doing the Bulls a favor by taking him off their hands. I don't think Crawford has a big future with that team (kind of like young Stackhouse's early career)-- imho he needs to move on to really improve.
“That was two, two from the heart.” - John Starks
Penny included in latest Crawford deal according to Chicago Tribune...

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy