[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

is any one else tired of the BS
Author Thread
Armondaone
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #379
7/18/2004  7:04 PM
i come on this site everyday and read the headlines like a player wants to come to NY. im starting to believe that all a player needs to do is say he wants to come to Ny and then not come just for a threat to his team. ( like when your parents say " or else. ") lets see sheed, shaq, vince, crawford, etc. I know we are all hopeful that we get one of them but the false hope it gives is great until i see them sign with someone else. I feel like the knicks are being disrespected. i feel like saying don't mention my team unless your serious about it. i know its part of the game but come on every player in a contract year or trade situation uses the " KNicks Card."

on a side note i know crawford is a good player but 10 mil a year.?? I don't remember when did anything signifcant except one 50 pt game. same goes for dampier 10 min for 7 or so years. he can't stop shaq but he might be able to slow the bleeding of shaq. i don't mean to hate on the guy but come on these 10 mil+ contracts for about average players Please!!!! for 10 mill you should be better than average and not just have potential.
AUTOADVERT
crzymdups
Member: #671
USA
7/18/2004  7:26 PM
The Crawford thing was real. But Zeke messed it up by asking for too much (i.e. making them take Moochie AND Shan!). Damps is a possibility, but only for all our expiring deals and we have to take NVE. To make both deals happen, we would have to drastically overpay either Crawford or Dampier. That's the only reason they are 'interested'. But make no mistake, players like the idea of playing in New York. Very few are willing to take less money to play here, but most will gladly take more.

There are things the Knicks can do this summer. Kobe and Vince are not among them. Why would Kobe give up his entire life to take $100 million less in guaranteed money? Why would Toronto trade Vince Carter, their sole draw, for nothing? Why would Vince want to play for Lenny Wilkens, a coach he vilified after Lenny was fired (maybe Vince was only bitter that Lenny made the playoffs without Vince?)?

Chalk it up to everyone being bored out of their minds with no real news to discuss.

Here's some news: the Denver Nuggets turned around their entire franchise thanks to Scott Layden. They acquired Nene and Camby for basically nothing and while they waited for Nene to develop and Camby to heal, they got bad enough to draft Carmelo. Instant team. Now, they've had cap space for two years and added Miller and Martin and Boykins. That's how you rebuild.

The Knicks? Hopelessly capped out and thus when something like the Martin situation comes up, they can only offer expiring deals as assets while a team with room can act swiftly to sign the guy. So, we're stuck hoping someone is intent on blowing up their squad to get financial flexibility for a decent player. Anytime one of these situations comes up, obviously the Knicks are the first on the phone and obviously the opposing GM knows better than to take players from New York who are repeatedly ridiculed in the mass media like ESPN. The result? Our players get underrated from being constantly devalued in print as being overpaid and losers, while marginal players from other teams like oh say, Erick Dampier (who has never won anything) become extremely overrated because New York has interest. It's an endless cycle which the Knicks have been losing for 30 years or so and will probably never win at the cycle, let alone win an NBA championship. So instead, we discuss the merits of giving a 24 year old guard who shot 38% 70 million dollars. It eases our pain, okay?

¿ △ ?
mintyfreshness33
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #586
USA
7/18/2004  7:53 PM
crzymdups nice post
Armondaone
Member: #379
7/18/2004  8:18 PM
I hear what your saying about easing the pain and ny being in a cycle. but i was really trying to get at the whole " i would love to play in NY slogan" and how players just say it as a bluff.

Im still not sold on the whole jc worth but well see.
7yrs @ 10mil per. are we blindly jumping into a hole. i personally would like to see if this trevor player can do something and not lock up jc for that deal.

this is off topic but i personally would like to get the ending contracts of z, walker, nve. they would come off the book at the end of the year or be good trade bait a the dead line, or possibly play good for us( Not likly). but we need more options to move people and cap clearing teams will take ending contracts and give up some good players.
BigSm00th
Member: #178
USA
7/18/2004  8:51 PM
The Crawford to the Knicks thing isn't over, but Isiah pulled out of the talks to attempt to get a big man.

Now that it looks like Dampier's gone and all the other names have fallen out, I'd imagine he'd return to the Bulls and give them Mutumbo.

The only player that has said he wants to go to NY was Crawford, all the others have been either a "Yeah, I'll consider NY" or it has been through some shady "source" in a B-grade news service like RealGM or some message board.

I'd put my money on Crawford, I think that's Isiah's fallback if all else failed.

And all else has failed.
#Knickstaps
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
7/18/2004  9:46 PM
I'm not sure Dampier is overrated. Supposedly the deal is Harrington and Deke (thats about $8mm per year). Thats a good deal for us, depending on the years. He's an athletic nice 2 way player that would fit nicely with the shooters we have. We are giving up 2 guys we basicly dont want for one that fills a major need. Dampier would be a dominating big in the East, and moving forward a nice piece w/ Sweetney. Thats a dominating combo on the boards to put with good scorers like H20, TT, Marbury, Penny, ect...
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
timmyTtop
Member: #680
7/18/2004  10:14 PM
our major problem is consistency when we play great A ball, we win most of the time and most of the time earns u a nice place on the eastern conference... so we need consistent players, dampier defines the opposite with his golden year behind a contract year and him heading into his 30's with what could be a massive contract... i do think thoough, that isiah is on to something good.
tkf
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #87
7/18/2004  10:52 PM
the problem with NY is the impatience of the fans, right now the knicks have a star player who is only 26 and a few good young pieces in TT and naz, what the knicks should be doing is developing guys like Ariza, frankie, sweetney, barrett and Dermarr, try to raise their stock, let these guys play and get better, I am tired of the rumors and players just using the knicks IMO.. To be honest dumping 50 mil into guys like Dampier is not going to do a thing for the knicks but win a few more games, Dampier is lazy, and never has made the warriors better during his stay, what makes him worth 50+ mil? because some jackass team overpays for clowns like Okur, and the nuggets were stupid enought to give Kenyon (no offense) martin a 80 mil deal? As far as the nuggets they were more lucky than smart, and they came across scott layden at the right time, but had detroit been smart enought to take melo, kiki does not look so much like a genius does he?

In a nutshell I am tired of the BS!!
Anyone who sits around and waits for the lottery to better themselves, either in real life or in sports, Is a Loser............... TKF
crzymdups
Member: #671
USA
7/18/2004  11:12 PM
If Kiki hadn't gotten Melo, he'd have taken Wade. It's not like he would've taken Darko or Bosh with the size Denver already had. But whatever, yes maybe he got lucky with Melo...but was it luck that put him in the position to sign Miller and Martin? No.

I'm not sure I'm sold on Dampier. I would've rather had Chris Andersen, but as has been noted he was signed by the Hornets....for $2.3 Million!!!! Anyone lamenting the Knicks cap should look at the deal this guy got relative to how well he can play. The Hornets have made two brilliant signings this off season (Mo Pete was the other...remember when Zeke was trying to trade KT for Mo???) that in my mind put them in position to be seriously competitive in the West. And they didn't go anywhere near breaking the bank to do it. We'll see if they are able to move Mash for something worth while...
¿ △ ?
Knicksfan
Alba Posts: 27
Member: #691
USA
7/19/2004  12:28 AM
Posted by crzymdups:

I'm not sure I'm sold on Dampier. I would've rather had Chris Andersen, but as has been noted he was signed by the Hornets....for $2.3 Million!!!! Anyone lamenting the Knicks cap should look at the deal this guy got relative to how well he can play.

Very true. We could have given the same deal. But we didn't.
Knicks_Fan
raven
Member: #316
Canada
7/19/2004  3:01 AM
imo IT is doing great.

He's trying with what is has, and when a plan doesn't seem to work (ie craw) he takes a fall back. (damp)

we've been killed for yrs in the paint.

can anyone here say that damp is worst than nazr + othella (when he happens to him to leave the bench) ?

I honnestly can't. We needing something to be done inside, and we have to adress issues one at a time.

With IT, nothing is written in stone. We thought that nazr would be our starting center as he was "the key of the deal", but it appears that if IT can get sompething better than what he has, he'll trade for right away.

we have to start a winning cycle, adn those things take time.
Look at where we were last yr at the same time :

- layden was governing the sinking ship
- howard eisley was our pg
- sweet was doomed to stick on the bench
- chaney and his "I will zone dallas to death" was our coach
- dolan was unwilling to spend anymore
- our savior was an ex allstar with 3 knee surgeries in 3 yrs
- our starting center was KT and our starting PF was spoon

Those are the issues that had to be solved. Some of them have been, other are still pending.

But I'd rather be where we are now instead of where we were last yr. Don't you ?

GO KNICKS !

[Edited by - raven on 07/19/2004 03:03:19]
tkf
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #87
7/19/2004  10:09 AM
I do agree that IT has made good moves to get guys that have value, had we not made the trade to Get naz, we probably would not be in the running to get Dampier...
Anyone who sits around and waits for the lottery to better themselves, either in real life or in sports, Is a Loser............... TKF
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
7/19/2004  10:16 AM
Naz and O for Damp makes great sense. But its the shackled effect of a long term contract for a player 30 and what appears to be motivated by an opt year.

NO doubt losing sucks, and Damp on a bad team will stiffle stats also.
I gues we must put our faith in Isiah that 30 year old damp is going to help and be effective for most of his contract.

I suspect Damp will go to the money. Every one wants to play in New York all things being equal. But the are not.

Damp is Nate Thurmonds son. Nate played for the Knicks at center and Willis was the PF. Nate was traded and became a late bloomer playing many years for Golden State. Its all just a little bit of history repeating.
islesfan
Alba Posts: 37
Member: #712
7/19/2004  4:47 PM
Posted by crzymdups:

The Crawford thing was real. But Zeke messed it up by asking for too much (i.e. making them take Moochie AND Shan!). Damps is a possibility, but only for all our expiring deals and we have to take NVE. To make both deals happen, we would have to drastically overpay either Crawford or Dampier. That's the only reason they are 'interested'. But make no mistake, players like the idea of playing in New York. Very few are willing to take less money to play here, but most will gladly take more.

There are things the Knicks can do this summer. Kobe and Vince are not among them. Why would Kobe give up his entire life to take $100 million less in guaranteed money? Why would Toronto trade Vince Carter, their sole draw, for nothing? Why would Vince want to play for Lenny Wilkens, a coach he vilified after Lenny was fired (maybe Vince was only bitter that Lenny made the playoffs without Vince?)?

Chalk it up to everyone being bored out of their minds with no real news to discuss.

Here's some news: the Denver Nuggets turned around their entire franchise thanks to Scott Layden. They acquired Nene and Camby for basically nothing and while they waited for Nene to develop and Camby to heal, they got bad enough to draft Carmelo. Instant team. Now, they've had cap space for two years and added Miller and Martin and Boykins. That's how you rebuild.

The Knicks? Hopelessly capped out and thus when something like the Martin situation comes up, they can only offer expiring deals as assets while a team with room can act swiftly to sign the guy. So, we're stuck hoping someone is intent on blowing up their squad to get financial flexibility for a decent player. Anytime one of these situations comes up, obviously the Knicks are the first on the phone and obviously the opposing GM knows better than to take players from New York who are repeatedly ridiculed in the mass media like ESPN. The result? Our players get underrated from being constantly devalued in print as being overpaid and losers, while marginal players from other teams like oh say, Erick Dampier (who has never won anything) become extremely overrated because New York has interest. It's an endless cycle which the Knicks have been losing for 30 years or so and will probably never win at the cycle, let alone win an NBA championship. So instead, we discuss the merits of giving a 24 year old guard who shot 38% 70 million dollars. It eases our pain, okay?

This is one of the best posts that I've ever read. That pretty much sums up the Knicks situation.
If it didn’t work in Phoenix with Nash and Stoutamire... it’s just not a winning formula. It’s an entertaining formula, but not a winning one. - Derek Harper talking about D'Antoni's System
joec32033
Member: #583
USA
7/19/2004  5:41 PM
Posted by islesfan:
Posted by crzymdups:

This is one of the best posts that I've ever read. That pretty much sums up the Knicks situation.

I repectfully disagree....IMHO, Zeke jumped through hoops to get this done.....Paxson didn't budge....I think little Paxson has the explaing to to...
~You can't run from who you are.~
islesfan
Member: #712
7/19/2004  6:00 PM
With all due respect, unless doing the Knicks favors, like taking their worst contracts off of their hands, is part of Paxson's job description, I don't think he owes anybody an explanation. But if Moochie Norris is what stood in the way of this deal being consumated, then I think Isiah has some explaining to do for Knicks fans who wanted to see this deal get done.
If it didn’t work in Phoenix with Nash and Stoutamire... it’s just not a winning formula. It’s an entertaining formula, but not a winning one. - Derek Harper talking about D'Antoni's System
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
7/19/2004  6:03 PM
Posted by islesfan:

With all due respect, unless doing the Knicks favors, like taking their worst contracts off of their hands, is part of Paxson's job description, I don't think he owes anybody an explanation. But if Moochie Norris is what stood in the way of this deal being consumated, then I think Isiah has some explaining to do for Knicks fans who wanted to see this deal get done.

the one thing that we have to remember is that Isiah probably has several deals on the table and he may be holding onto Zeke - and pushing for Moochie - for another trade. The Knicks already do have guards, so first get Damps and maybe Walker and then turn back to Crawford.
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
joec32033
Member: #583
USA
7/19/2004  6:19 PM
I have see so many permutations of this trade.....Moochie, no Moochie, Deke, a smaller trade not even including Anderson....but for some reason the only player(s) I have seen the Bulls move around are Eddie Robinson (and Jefferies). IMHO, the contracts we get run longer and are worth more than the ones we are giving up.....granted we are getting the best player, but just as the Bulls shouldn't do us any favors, we shouldn't do the Bulls any favors. To them contracts are more important than talent being brought in in this particular trade. To us it's the other way around. We are not talking about a perenial All-star...we are talking Jamal Crawford....
~You can't run from who you are.~
ItaliaKnick
Member: #716
7/19/2004  10:06 PM
Nate Thurmond didn't play for the Knicks....the guy you are thinking of is Walt Bellamy, who was a pretty good center also.

Posted by Nalod:

Naz and O for Damp makes great sense. But its the shackled effect of a long term contract for a player 30 and what appears to be motivated by an opt year.

NO doubt losing sucks, and Damp on a bad team will stiffle stats also.
I gues we must put our faith in Isiah that 30 year old damp is going to help and be effective for most of his contract.

I suspect Damp will go to the money. Every one wants to play in New York all things being equal. But the are not.

Damp is Nate Thurmonds son. Nate played for the Knicks at center and Willis was the PF. Nate was traded and became a late bloomer playing many years for Golden State. Its all just a little bit of history repeating.
raven
Member: #316
Canada
7/20/2004  2:29 AM
Posted by joec32033:

we shouldn't do the Bulls any favors.

That's why I think IT is running after other games. I guess he understood talks had choked cause pax became greedy, and that he had to seem "not as much interested" and let pax try to make peace with crawford.

As soon as pax will realize that he has already burnt nearly all the bridges, he may be forced to tarde craw. We'll be there ! =)
is any one else tired of the BS

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy