[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Does KP have the mentality of a superstar?
Author Thread
OjilEye
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #3017
USA
11/30/2015  12:46 PM
You cited Kobe, Jordan, and Westbrook, but don't forget about superstars like Tim Duncan. Classic example of leading through actions and not aggression.
AUTOADVERT
dk7th
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #4228
USA
11/30/2015  12:52 PM
Clean wrote:I was randomly thinking about KP today and was amazed at how rare it is to have a player with the combination of skills that KP has. Before the season began I laughed at the pundits who thought that KP would be completely useless for 3 years. I thought that KP would at least be able contribute immediately with his ability to hit the open shot off double teams on Melo. After his stint in the summer league I amended my thinking to include shot altering due to his freakish size and length.

KP has all the skills and physical tools to become a superstar in the NBA. The only things he is currently missing is strength and the ability to sense and understand how to attack double teams. These current deficiencies will be fixed with time and experience. This caused me to think about the next thing needed to become a superstar. A players mentality is as important to becoming a superstar as their skill and abilities.

At the 1st glance KP has the mentality of a superstar as-well. His work ethic is something you constantly hear about from other players. He has a burning desire to be great and he is always saying the right things to the media. The one thing I think KP is missing is his on court aggression and willingness to step on toes to get the win. KP has shown a willingness to let other players push him around even though it is obvious they are purposely targeting him. An example of this is how Jason Smith was roughing up KP during the game against the Magic. KP is also a little too willing to sit in the background and allow other players to takeover at points in every game.

It is become obvious that KP has quickly become the most important player on the Knicks. Due to this fact, it worried me that even on a night that Melo did not play KP was still a little too willing to sit in the background and let other player take over late. It seems like KP is just not willing to step on his teammates toes in order to get the win. Kobe, Jordan, Russell Westbrook and other superstars are not afraid to anger teammates a little if the result is to win more games. KP is constantly being missed for easy opportunities and says nothing to his teammates about it. Despite his good stats he also disappears at times in games because the team goes away from him. This on court mentality is usually what separates good players from great players and great players from superstars.

Am I over analyzing? or do I actually have a point?

you're barking up the wrong tree with "superstar mentality." that's an american shiny object/entertainer approach.

he has fire and he has poise. he has also been trained as a team-first player and will likely allow his coaches in practice behind closed doors get his teammates to start focussing on getting him the ball in semi-breaks. i would not expect him to demand the ball like you describe. that would be arrogant at this juncture.

you can't hide greatness, especially from teammates. and yes he will be tested. would you prefer he break his hand flailing at the jason smiths of the nba?

knicks win 38-43 games in 16-17. rose MUST shoot no more than 14 shots per game, defer to kp6 + melo, and have a usage rate of less than 25%
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
11/30/2015  1:13 PM
I think he does.
Also love when he plays closer to the basket--the guy is so long with good touch its a natural place for him to be--I know he can hit a 3 but his 12 footer and in game is just going to be a nightmare for opponents.
RIP Crushalot😞
newyorknewyork
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #541
11/30/2015  1:25 PM
BRIGGS wrote:I think he does.
Also love when he plays closer to the basket--the guy is so long with good touch its a natural place for him to be--I know he can hit a 3 but his 12 footer and in game is just going to be a nightmare for opponents.

Would like to see them throw the ball up for him to get it more in certain situations. They have been hesitant to do so. He is 7'3 and is aggressive going after the ball.

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
knicksareback
Member: #6203

11/30/2015  1:36 PM
I think he has the confidence of a superstar and he is a rookie playing for a team in a difficult spot. He can become something like a superstar, why not?
WaltLongmire
Member: #5843

11/30/2015  2:04 PM
I stand back and look at this thread and can't help but be amazed at how the KP6 narrative and conversation about his future has changed in less than half a year.

Skinny white Euro scrub>>>4year project>>>Jump shooting lightweight 20MPG>>>Opportunistic complimentary player>>>Put back posterizer>>>
ROY potential>>>Potential franchise player>>>Name being used in same sentence as the word, "superstar."

Should make folks think about how little many of us really know about players and the game of BB.

EnySpree: Can we agree to agree not to mention Phil Jackson and triangle for the rest of our lives?
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
11/30/2015  3:01 PM
WaltLongmire wrote:I stand back and look at this thread and can't help but be amazed at how the KP6 narrative and conversation about his future has changed in less than half a year.

Skinny white Euro scrub>>>4year project>>>Jump shooting lightweight 20MPG>>>Opportunistic complimentary player>>>Put back posterizer>>>
ROY potential>>>Potential franchise player>>>Name being used in same sentence as the word, "superstar."

Should make folks think about how little many of us really know about players and the game of BB.

I would add a step: second unit stud to balance out the offense.

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
Clean
Member: #743
11/30/2015  4:07 PM
OjilEye wrote:You cited Kobe, Jordan, and Westbrook, but don't forget about superstars like Tim Duncan. Classic example of leading through actions and not aggression.

Good point! How could I forget about Tim Duncan.

WaltLongmire
Member: #5843

11/30/2015  6:35 PM
martin wrote:
WaltLongmire wrote:I stand back and look at this thread and can't help but be amazed at how the KP6 narrative and conversation about his future has changed in less than half a year.

I would add a step: second unit stud to balance out the offense.

True…there was a "put him on the second unit" theme supported by some. I'm thinking this was something the Williams supporters wanted to see…not sure, though.
EnySpree: Can we agree to agree not to mention Phil Jackson and triangle for the rest of our lives?
Does KP have the mentality of a superstar?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy