[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

How can we get better?
Author Thread
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

11/26/2015  8:47 PM
We have a very solid starting 5 with KP, Melo, Rolo, Calderón and affalo.

The bench held the team down in the beginning but now have regressed a lot. Derrick, O'Quinn and Seraphin are too up and down. Grant is facing some rookie blues.

How can we get better?

Yeah we need a better pg, but who is out there that we can get or hands on?

Alot of buzz on the board on who we should get, but who can we realistically get? There are a few pg dangling like the backups in Milwaukee, raptors, hornets, new Orleans, mavericks, Lakers....

We Probably Could used a more reliable bank up forward. What's wrong with Cleananthony Early? There's tons of dangling fwds throughout the league....

how can we get better?

Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
AUTOADVERT
Knixkik
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #11
USA
11/26/2015  9:22 PM
We are relying on the development of porzingis. Our franchise will go with him. Otherwise we wont get a lot better, especially this season. But hopefully we win 50% of our games and going from 17 wins to 41 is pretty good.
blkexec
Member: #748
11/26/2015  10:23 PM
Do what I said earlier in the season.....Bring KP off the bench and allow him to play a Melo role as the lead dog. Put DWill or Early in the starting lineup. Move Melo to the PF spot where he can use his quickness against bigger guys....DWill is going to be left alone next to Melo and will provide easy transition buckets.

Let KP be the focal point on offense with Grant, Gallo, KO (second unit). It's not a demotion, but a way to balance the team, give KP training as a go to guy on offense. It's easier for Melo to score on a slower big than a strong and quick SF. Against a big, he doesn't have to make so many moves to beat his man. Against todays SF, he has to put on so many moves, trying to get by a quick player, and winds up shooting an off balance fadeaway, after dribbling out the clock.

Then next year, KP would have a year under his belt and be able to play center, while Lopez comes off the bench. Keep Melo at the PF spot, if we want the old Melo back.

Born in Brooklyn, Raised in Queens, Lives in Maryland. The future is bright, I'm a Knicks fan for life!
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
11/26/2015  10:25 PM
EnySpree wrote:We have a very solid starting 5 with KP, Melo, Rolo, Calderón and affalo.

The bench held the team down in the beginning but now have regressed a lot. Derrick, O'Quinn and Seraphin are too up and down. Grant is facing some rookie blues.

How can we get better?

Yeah we need a better pg, but who is out there that we can get or hands on?

Alot of buzz on the board on who we should get, but who can we realistically get? There are a few pg dangling like the backups in Milwaukee, raptors, hornets, new Orleans, mavericks, Lakers....

We Probably Could used a more reliable bank up forward. What's wrong with Cleananthony Early? There's tons of dangling fwds throughout the league....

how can we get better?

Wow. My dad was over today for Thanksgiving and we started talking about Tyler Ennis during the Cuse game. I wonder if the Bucks would consider moving him.

I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
WaltLongmire
Member: #5843

11/26/2015  10:52 PM
blkexec wrote:Do what I said earlier in the season.....Bring KP off the bench and allow him to play a Melo role as the lead dog. Put DWill or Early in the starting lineup. Move Melo to the PF spot where he can use his quickness against bigger guys....DWill is going to be left alone next to Melo and will provide easy transition buckets.

Let KP be the focal point on offense with Grant, Gallo, KO (second unit). It's not a demotion, but a way to balance the team, give KP training as a go to guy on offense. It's easier for Melo to score on a slower big than a strong and quick SF. Against a big, he doesn't have to make so many moves to beat his man. Against todays SF, he has to put on so many moves, trying to get by a quick player, and winds up shooting an off balance fadeaway, after dribbling out the clock.

Then next year, KP would have a year under his belt and be able to play center, while Lopez comes off the bench. Keep Melo at the PF spot, if we want the old Melo back.

I might very well put KP at the 5 on the second unit. Some pick and pop stuff with Gallo or Grant? Have him in the post and try to get Williams into play going to the basket with KP as a facilitator. Porzingis has actually shown he can pass when given an opening to do so, but his opportunities have been limited.

I have no faith in KOQ and Seraphin at this point, and it seems that Fisher is not enchanted with Williams.

After that very good shooting game a number of contests ago, Thomas has really come back to earth.

Not saying that Early is any kind of answer...but can he perform better than Thomas or Williams at times...Yup.
The fact that he is still with the team and not in the DL makes me think they want to use him on the big club, or at least it seems so tod me.

A lot depends on Grant, though, because my feeling is that Gallo has to do too much as a lead guard and is much better a SG.

We will see...

EnySpree: Can we agree to agree not to mention Phil Jackson and triangle for the rest of our lives?
blkexec
11/27/2015  12:56 AM
WaltLongmire wrote:
blkexec wrote:Do what I said earlier in the season.....Bring KP off the bench and allow him to play a Melo role as the lead dog. Put DWill or Early in the starting lineup. Move Melo to the PF spot where he can use his quickness against bigger guys....DWill is going to be left alone next to Melo and will provide easy transition buckets.

I might very well put KP at the 5 on the second unit. Some pick and pop stuff with Gallo or Grant? Have him in the post and try to get Williams into play going to the basket with KP as a facilitator. Porzingis has actually shown he can pass when given an opening to do so, but his opportunities have been limited.

I have no faith in KOQ and Seraphin at this point, and it seems that Fisher is not enchanted with Williams.

After that very good shooting game a number of contests ago, Thomas has really come back to earth.

Not saying that Early is any kind of answer...but can he perform better than Thomas or Williams at times...Yup.
The fact that he is still with the team and not in the DL makes me think they want to use him on the big club, or at least it seems so tod me.

A lot depends on Grant, though, because my feeling is that Gallo has to do too much as a lead guard and is much better a SG.

We will see...

I agree for the most part. Seems like Fisher needs to make a decision on which PF's he should put in the dog house. With Rolo as the starting center and KP as the second unit center. We have two rim protectors. I think Phil has all these PF's in case KP didn't pan out. Since KP seems like a solid contributor, its now time to cut back on these PF's.....Work in Early and Dwill, which will give us more athleticism on both ends and transition points. KOQ, Seraphin, Rolo are half court bigs that should play together at the same time. The PF's are too fast for them in transition, and the paint is crowded. They are forced to shoot long jumpers. I rather have Early or Dwill shooting those jumpers next to Rolo, KP and Melo.....

Born in Brooklyn, Raised in Queens, Lives in Maryland. The future is bright, I'm a Knicks fan for life!
BigRedDog
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #569
11/27/2015  1:34 AM

This has to be one of the worst suggestions I have ever heard. Bring KP off the bench??? NO F'IN WAY! Sorry man but bad suggestion.

Briggs-- Frank is 2 yrs away from being 2 years away
blkexec
11/27/2015  2:16 AM
BigRedDog wrote:

This has to be one of the worst suggestions I have ever heard. Bring KP off the bench??? NO F'IN WAY! Sorry man but bad suggestion.

This was a decision that should've been made at the beginning of the season. Of course it looks bad now, because Fisher decided to start him. So now he has to scramble and find a balance in the second unit, with a unit full of inconsistent players.

But if you have anything constructive to say, in response to this thread, I'm all ears. Otherwise, your 1 line response holds no value!

clyderules
Member: #6156

11/27/2015  2:21 AM
How do we get better? By leaving our starting rotation alone and playing a reasonable second unit that can score and defend such as Grant Gallo Dwill Thomas and either Oquinn or Seraphin. No exceptions to this except for Early. Also I'd add one or two promising dleague guys who can maybe help us in the future.
EnySpree

11/27/2015  5:07 AM
blkexec wrote:
BigRedDog wrote:

This was a decision that should've been made at the beginning of the season. Of course it looks bad now, because Fisher decided to start him. So now he has to scramble and find a balance in the second unit, with a unit full of inconsistent players.

But if you have anything constructive to say, in response to this thread, I'm all ears. Otherwise, your 1 line response holds no value!

I don't agree with KP coming off the bench now either, but if I'm going to come out hard then I need to have an alternate opinion. I agree these lame one liners kill the discussion.

Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
EnySpree

11/27/2015  5:19 AM
clyderules wrote:How do we get better? By leaving our starting rotation alone and playing a reasonable second unit that can score and defend such as Grant Gallo Dwill Thomas and either Oquinn or Seraphin. No exceptions to this except for Early. Also I'd add one or two promising dleague guys who can maybe help us in the future.

My point is these bench guys have regressed enough to make you think about a trade. If Fisher broke a few hearts and shortened his bench to 10 players instead of 13, then maybe guys could get a rhythm.

I don't line playing small ball and playing guys out of position. So maybe the Knicks need to move guys. We need to settle on 1 back up small fwd. I personally would love to see Early be that guy. Derrick williams looked great but he might have to go. O'Quinn or Seraphin might have to go as well.

Can a package surrounding Seraphin, Derrick Williams and maybe Jerian Grant get us a real pg?

I keep looking at Jeff Teague since Schroeder is there. Maybe Lou Williams in LA. Grievas in the Bucks.

There's gotta be a way to get better. Doesn't have to be a block buster.

Stevo718
Member: #559
11/27/2015  5:58 AM
When we shoot a high 3 point percentage we win... when we don't we lose. So I'd say penetrate more and pass more to allow ourselves a higher percentage 3pt shot.
jrodmc
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #805
USA
11/27/2015  9:22 AM

KP's proven way too valuable in just 15 games to be playing 2nd unit lead dog; I agree that his minutes have to be curtailed from what's happening now. I don't agree with putting Melo back at full time PF; he continues to get no respect from the refs, and getting pummeled consistently in the paint by other 4's is a great way to end up back on the IR. Asking Melo to continue to facilitate when his leading scoring option is sitting on the bench makes no sense to me. Get this first unit, now with AA, some time to cohere, and you already have a good bench, provided Fish figures out what to do with them and when.

I know no one really knows what's going on in Fisher's head and what he sees daily during practices, but his use/non-use of the bench between the start of the season and the past few weeks is maddening.

SupremeCommander
Alba Posts: 35
Member: #1127

11/27/2015  10:03 AM
I pray that we are finally building under the 'organic growth' philosophy... we have a great cast of veteran leadership... we have some good young talent... wish we had the Bargnani first but the organization is showing an ability to find talent the rest of the league couldn't identify
Sambakick wrote: Gives a whole new meaning to "Jazz Hands"
EnySpree

11/27/2015  10:12 AM
jrodmc wrote:

KP's proven way too valuable in just 15 games to be playing 2nd unit lead dog; I agree that his minutes have to be curtailed from what's happening now. I don't agree with putting Melo back at full time PF; he continues to get no respect from the refs, and getting pummeled consistently in the paint by other 4's is a great way to end up back on the IR. Asking Melo to continue to facilitate when his leading scoring option is sitting on the bench makes no sense to me. Get this first unit, now with AA, some time to cohere, and you already have a good bench, provided Fish figures out what to do with them and when.

I know no one really knows what's going on in Fisher's head and what he sees daily during practices, but his use/non-use of the bench between the start of the season and the past few weeks is maddening.

I agree with you jrodmc

dk7th
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #4228
USA
11/27/2015  10:29 AM
not that this will happen, but:

kp6 5
melo 4
thomas 3
afflalo 2
galloway 1

bench: lopez, calderon, o'quinn, grant, williams

the problem with the team right now is the bench, which looks chaotic and is being beaten. part of the problem is it is not running the triangle. this notion of a run and gun bench is a mirage at this point... we are trying to institute a system so it benefits nobody to abandon it.

the other problem is calderon's defense, which puts the knicks at a disadvantage every night and regardless of his much-improved shooting.

work the system with lopez and calderon out there as the ballast of a second unit. this will help o'quinn, who also likes to pass the ball. and it might also benefit grant in some way.

the knicks need more continuity and better defense, and these adjustments address both.

knicks win 38-43 games in 16-17. rose MUST shoot no more than 14 shots per game, defer to kp6 + melo, and have a usage rate of less than 25%
mreinman
Member: #3189

11/27/2015  10:32 AM
dk7th wrote:not that this will happen, but:

kp6 5
melo 4
thomas 3
afflalo 2
galloway 1

the problem with the team right now is the bench, which looks chaotic and is being beaten. part of the problem is it is not running the triangle. this notion of a run and gun bench is a mirage at this point... we are trying to institute a system so it benefits nobody to abandon it.

the other problem is calderon's defense, which puts the knicks at a disadvantage every night and regardless of his much-improved shooting.

work the system with lopez and calderon out there as the ballast of a second unit. this will help o'quinn, who also likes to pass the ball. and it might also benefit grant in some way.

the knicks need more continuity and better defense, and these adjustments address both.

lopez has to start. He is way too important at both ends to not have him in there and getting us out early.

so here is what phil is thinking ....
dk7th
Member: #4228
USA
11/27/2015  10:39 AM
mreinman wrote:
dk7th wrote:not that this will happen, but:

kp6 5
melo 4
thomas 3
afflalo 2
galloway 1

lopez has to start. He is way too important at both ends to not have him in there and getting us out early.

fixed

knicks win 38-43 games in 16-17. rose MUST shoot no more than 14 shots per game, defer to kp6 + melo, and have a usage rate of less than 25%
newyorknewyork
Member: #541
11/27/2015  5:41 PM
2 of Melo KP and Affalo should be on the court at all times for starters.

With the 2nd unit Fisher needs to play more uptempo. Grant isnt a half court PG at this point in time. Mins should be adjusted so he plays with our best pick setter in Lopez and attacking the paint creating for others or drawing fouls.

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
clyderules
Member: #6156

11/27/2015  6:44 PM
You know I think that Seraphin should and could become much better. With his body he should be a great pick setter. And he's active too. Plus some scoring skills down low. I might like him more than O'Quinn who looks so slow and accident prone out there.
How can we get better?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy