[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Video: Jahlil Okafor Gets Into Fight In Boston and Punches a heckler
Author Thread
mreinman
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #3189

11/26/2015  7:22 PM
Not a good look for Ok4. I'm sure that everyone will blame the tanking though ...

so here is what phil is thinking ....
AUTOADVERT
WaltLongmire
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #5843

11/26/2015  10:04 PM
Very foolish. Shows a lot of frustration on OK4's part... obviously. Guy has a lot of pride, is coming off a championship season at Duke and is now the main man on what has been a mismanaged franchise after the team he wanted to go to did not take him. (Yeah...I said MISMANAGED, mreinman!)

Watched him play the second half of the Boston game and the entire Minny game, and liked what I saw on the court, but it is amazing to me how many pro players have not come to understand the off the court perils of going to night clubs and bars during their season at times of the day/night/morning where they risk of facing the kind of provocation OK4 (and JR, for that matter) might face from fans.

Also amazes me that a generation raised during an age where anyone with a smart phone can record an incident almost immediately continues to think that they can do things like this and not get recorded.

For the guys who are going to talk about individual freedom and doing what you want...

...He's not 21 yet, and Mass. adheres to the national drinking age, so he faces more trouble if they can prove he was drunk or if he was drinking...No?

If he was found to be drinking, is there a potential "substance abuse" penalty for underage drinking by an NBA player? Just wondering.

EnySpree: Can we agree to agree not to mention Phil Jackson and triangle for the rest of our lives?
WaltLongmire

11/26/2015  10:30 PM
Jahlil Okafor's apparent street fight is more proof of 76ers' flawed rebuilding plan
By Michael Lee
3 hours ago
Yahoo Sports

Grainy cell phone footage turned prized rookie Jahlil Okafor into a Twitter trending topic for the wrong reasons on Thanksgiving, but it should also encourage the Philadelphia 76ers to revise at least one aspect of their controversial, build-from-the-bottom and hope-for-lottery-luck strategy.

Whether you believe the 76ers have been making a mockery of the NBA with their blatant quest for losses, or you trust the process, there is no denying the downside of the plan for the experiment's guinea pigs – leaving youngsters to fend for themselves with little guidance or direction could stunt any perceived progress.

On Thursday, TMZ Sports released footage of Okafor in an apparent altercation Wednesday night with a heckler outside of a club in Boston, where his team lost its 16th straight game to start the season. Okafor, the third pick of last June's draft, is apparently spotted shouting an obscenity ("We got money, you broke [expletives]"), shoving the man into a car and eventually punching him to the ground while holding back another man.

The reason Okafor lost his cool? According to TMZ Sports, the unidentified man yelled, "The 76ers suck!"

Okafor hasn't won a game since helping Duke win a national championship April 5. That was back when winning was a formality for Okafor and the weight of being the best, most highly scrutinized player in his class was met with a nonchalance that suggested maturity beyond his teenage years.

But Okafor needed only one month of losing with an organization participating in a questionable rebuilding plan to make a mistake that he won't be able to easily escape in a social media era in which errors caught on cell phone cameras get played out in endless loops.

The 76ers' last win occured before Okafor's – March 25 – as they dropped their final 10 games last season and are attempting to avoid an NBA record for consecutive defeats with 27 Friday in Houston. If Philadelphia keeps losing through Saturday in Memphis, it will then have a chance to set a new mark with 19 consecutive losses to start a season Tuesday at home against the Los Angeles Lakers. Okafor is having an otherwise fine rookie campaign, leading all first-year players with 18.4 points per game while grabbing a respectable 8.1 rebounds.

But the failures of the mess surrounding Okafor prompted a Duke fan to create a #SaveJahlil video that went viral this week. The video showed several black-and-white lowlights of the 76ers' ineptitude with depressing Sarah McLachlan music playing in the background. In the last scene, a frustrated Okafor waddled down a hallway and leaned against a wall, seemingly unable to handle all of the losing.

While the #SaveJahlil video could elicit laughter or sadness, depending on your vantage point, the episode captured on TMZ is much more troubling – and not just for Okafor, still three weeks shy of his 20th birthday.

The 76ers haven't had a player older than 25 step on the court this season. Luc Mbah a Moute, now with the Los Angeles Clippers, is the only player older than 27 to appear in at least 20 games the past two seasons. Nearly three dozen NBA players have appeared in more career games than the combined total of the 12 players who have played for Philadelphia this season. Carl Landry is the team's oldest player at 32 but he has yet to make his season debut, putting too much pressure on Brett Brown and his coaching staff to teach the kids what it takes to be professional.

Philadelphia hasn't hidden its desire to lose big now to win big later, but it shouldn't just view veterans as salary-cap holds or a means to acquire more second-round picks. The Minnesota Timberwolves finished with the league's worst record last season but invested in expediting the development of No. 1 overall pick Karl-Anthony Towns, reigning Rookie of the Year Andrew Wiggins and fellow first-round pick Zach LaVine by bringing in aging vets Kevin Garnett, Tayshaun Prince and Andre Miller to help serve as examples on and off the court.

Some of Okafor's peers from the past draft have landed in situations with ready-made, veteran, all-star assistance. D'Angelo Russell is in Los Angeles with Kobe Bryant. Kristaps Porzingis has Carmelo Anthony in New York. Okafor's Duke former teammate, Justise Winslow, has Dwyane Wade in Miami. Okafor has … Robert Covington? Isaiah Canaan? Kendall Marshall?

Earlier this week, Winslow was asked how Okafor was dealing with defeat and he replied, "It's tough. Obviously, their organization is going through something different than us, but he's a winner. I'm sure he'll figure it out. He'll find a way to stay positive. Obviously, it's not the record he wants, but I'm sure in the coming years or this season, they'll figure some things out and get going in a positive direction."

Through his one notable misstep thus far, Okafor might inspire the necessary change in Philadelphia. Having seasoned players around won't prevent kids from making mistakes altogether, but the TMZ video should serve as a reminder that the long-term development of the 76ers might be enhanced if a chaperone or two were around to help the youngsters deal with getting their heads beat in.

EnySpree: Can we agree to agree not to mention Phil Jackson and triangle for the rest of our lives?
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
11/26/2015  10:47 PM
^^^I don't think the role solid vets play for young players can be discounted. The lack of a global vision for team building in Philly is not working out for Philly. Even journey men role players like Lance and Lou can impact a team by their professionalism, work ethic, practice habits and character.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
dk7th
Member: #4228
USA
11/26/2015  11:42 PM
mreinman wrote:Not a good look for Ok4. I'm sure that everyone will blame the tanking though ...

sadly, tanking is not the efficient cause here. i had questions about his character from the beginning, which in my opinion stems from his personal circumstances, which include the breakup of his family, the loss of his mother at an early age, and the father basically turning into a "stage father" once he was burdened with raising a child.

okafor is a classic example of the "conveyor belt" ethos that pervades usa basketball culture, being recruited since 8th grade.

he has been exploited. i hope he can attract a genuine mentor.

knicks win 38-43 games in 16-17. rose MUST shoot no more than 14 shots per game, defer to kp6 + melo, and have a usage rate of less than 25%
CrushAlot
USA
11/27/2015  12:25 AM
Aside from Carl Landry the oldest player on that team is Robert Covington at 24. Also, Landry is the only player(out of 14) with more than 2 yrs experience in the nba. Covington was in the d league a year ago. The team has 5 rookies, four second year players, four third year players, and Landry. The Sixers have 6 undrafted players on their roster. They have 5 d league alumni. They have 3 first round picks on their roster including Embiid. Brown is trying to create a winning/developmental environment with no role models and minimal talent. In a league where teams and families try to set up support networks for young players, the Sixers just have other young players. Most of their roster is marginal nba talent. Okafor is a tremendous talent. He went to the college equivalent of the Spurs, won an national championship and there were no incidents that I am aware of that occurred during his season there. The Sixers suck and being a Sixer has to suck right now.
clyderules
Member: #6156

11/27/2015  2:14 AM
I feel bad for him. And the fans in Philly. What a lousy strategy to intentionally lose games for years on purpose. How does the league even allow it?
newyorknewyork
Member: #541
11/27/2015  8:24 AM
He is 19 ish happens. This stuff happens every night mutiple times over around the world. Hopefully its a learning experience and he grows from it.

Then there is the question, what bar was it that served a 19 yr old alcohol as he seemed very intoxicated.

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
11/27/2015  8:42 AM
dk7th wrote:
mreinman wrote:Not a good look for Ok4. I'm sure that everyone will blame the tanking though ...

sadly, tanking is not the efficient cause here. i had questions about his character from the beginning, which in my opinion stems from his personal circumstances, which include the breakup of his family, the loss of his mother at an early age, and the father basically turning into a "stage father" once he was burdened with raising a child.

okafor is a classic example of the "conveyor belt" ethos that pervades usa basketball culture, being recruited since 8th grade.

not to laugh at this matter but you did kind of call it. I've been shocked by OK4's actions early on. Because of their build and look I was expecting a more mild mannered player like Tim Duncan. Npt JR Rider/ Ron Artest!

dk7th
USA
11/27/2015  9:34 AM
gunsnewing wrote:
dk7th wrote:

not to laugh at this matter but you did kind of call it. I've been shocked by OK4's actions early on. Because of their build and look I was expecting a more mild mannered player like Tim Duncan. Npt JR Rider/ Ron Artest!

it's no laughing matter. i don't relish when this sort of prediction pans out. he was out clubbing and he was clearly drunk. just so wrong on several levels. it's either an isolated incident or the first of many. either way he needs mentoring and monitoring. how can the sixers organization not have a curfew in place?

knicks win 38-43 games in 16-17. rose MUST shoot no more than 14 shots per game, defer to kp6 + melo, and have a usage rate of less than 25%
CrushAlot
USA
11/27/2015  10:10 AM
Apart from the obvious - that Okafor, at age 19, and that Wood, at age 20, are not legally permitted to consume alcohol - the incident raises a number of troubling questions for the Sixers and for Okafor, whom the franchise selected with the No. 3 overall pick in this year's NBA draft out of Duke and who leads the team in scoring, averaging 18.4 points per game. If Okafor was indeed frustrated by ridicule over the Sixers' record, his reaction lends credence to the idea that the franchise's plan to withstand several losing seasons for the sake of acquiring high draft picks and rebuilding their roster may be having a corrosive effect on its players.

With an average age of 23.3, the Sixers are the youngest team in the NBA, and none of the nine players who saw action Wednesday night in Boston is more than 24 years old or has more than three years of experience as an NBA player. The Sixers' next game is Friday night in Houston against the Rockets. Yet the team chose to stay overnight in Boston instead of traveling to Texas immediately after the Celtics game - meaning a group of players with little veteran leadership and guidance had a night's worth of free time on their hands.

When asked what steps, if any, police would take to investigate the incident and Okafor's involvement in it, McGuire said that she had seen the video, but "as far as the Boston Police Department was concerned, there's not much we can pursue. Nobody was there when we arrived. We unfortunately don't have the identity of the alleged victim. But if the victim wants to come forward and file a police report, he or she is encouraged to do so."

Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/sixers/20151127_Jahlil_Okafor_caught_on_video_punching_man_in_Boston_street_fight.html#be86FivHjxWoZDG5.99

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/sixers/20151127_Jahlil_Okafor_caught_on_video_punching_man_in_Boston_street_fight.html
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

11/27/2015  10:17 AM
We only see the aftermath. We don't know what set him off. Regardless he's not working for McDonalds. He has a strong father figure and im sure they had it out over this. He's a kid. Terrible mistake to try and beat so early in his career. People learn through experience unfortunately
Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
WaltLongmire

11/27/2015  10:50 AM
Are there issues about his character that I am totally unaware of?

Are there other incidents besides this one that I am unaware of? :

gunsnewing

I've been shocked by OK4's actions early on.

Knew about his mom's early death and the fact that he had found her and had to call 911- are there documented problems in school or with the law that he had as a kid?

dk7th
the father basically turning into a "stage father" once he was burdened with raising a child.

I don't exactly know what a "stage father" is ...Am I to assume that his means he was a father in name/title only, and not a good dad??

I figured that he had recruited at a young age because of his size, and would have expected that one "amateur" program pr another had him on a traveling team.

That OK4has some holes in his skills-set would make me think that some of his early coaches were not that concerned with making him into a complete player- more concerned with just winning, but this is frequently the case in early amateur ball and even in college.

Add in the fact that he and Noel might not be a great tandem at this point...something that was predicted before the season by a scout quoted in a SI article:

I don’t see, at all, the combination of Nerlens Noel at power forward and Jahlil Okafor at center. That’s probably how they’ll start. Okafor is legit. You can build your team around him. But Noel’s a center too. He’s not a power forward. How’s he going to go out and guard stretch fours? And then opponents don’t even have to guard him. Noel can’t shoot past 10 feet.

This was a recent article supporting the defensive part of the above comment:

Keith Pompey, Inquirer Staff Writer
Posted: Thursday, November 26, 2015, 3:01 AM

image:

BOSTON - Brett Brown has a dilemma.

Does the 76ers coach keep his best players on the floor no matter what? Or will be put in what he believes is his best situational lineup despite possibly losing his top players who aren't on the floor?

In this the Sixers' third consecutive season of tanking, one of their main goals is developing Jahlil Okafor and Nerlens Noel in a talented twin-towers tandem. However, the 6-foot-11, 223-pound Noel sat the final 2 minutes, 11 seconds in Monday's 100-95 setback to the Minnesota Timberwolves. Brown opted to put a smaller player on Timberwolves swingman Andrew Wiggins, who was playing power forward at the time.

"I have to coach basketball," Brown said. "I have to do it where you walk the most incredible concoction. There's a recipe you are always trying to figure out. I never coached more moving parts in my life."

Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/sixers/20151126_Sixers_dilemma__Keeping_Noel_and_Okafor_on_floor_together.html#rCGwGJdxAK5XgcgL.99

Not a good situation for Philly. Perhaps Hinkie will come to understand that the "assets" he acquires need more attention once they take on the form of actual players.

CrushAlot
USA
11/27/2015  11:08 AM
newyorknewyork wrote:He is 19 ish happens. This stuff happens every night mutiple times over around the world. Hopefully its a learning experience and he grows from it.

Then there is the question, what bar was it that served a 19 yr old alcohol as he seemed very intoxicated.

One of the Philly papers said he was with Christian Wood, another 19 year old. These guys should be college sophmores. Too bad it happened but they are at an age where they will make mistakes. Hopefully they learn from this.
Also, saw somewhere that the police in boston are not pursuing this.
nixluva
Member: #758
USA
11/27/2015  11:28 AM
It's a bad situation being drunk in public and getting caught on tape acting violently is pretty bad. Where is his body guard or chaperone? If he's my kid I'm gonna have to make sure he's protected out in public. Crazy as it seems athletes are targets for things like this. What if one of the other guys had a gun or knife. We've seen that kind of thing happen already.
WaltLongmire

11/27/2015  11:46 AM    LAST EDITED: 11/27/2015  11:52 AM
dk7th wrote:
gunsnewing wrote:
dk7th wrote:

it's no laughing matter. i don't relish when this sort of prediction pans out. he was out clubbing and he was clearly drunk. just so wrong on several levels. it's either an isolated incident or the first of many. either way he needs mentoring and monitoring. how can the sixers organization not have a curfew in place?

J.R., Copeland, Sefolosia, OK4, Woods, etc.... Do you make a distinction among older and younger players?

I'm always taking hits around here for talking about "responsibility" and today's athletes, because I think that there should be some restrictions on them during their actual season because they have an obligation to their team and teammates, but then you have to balance this with basic human freedoms.

Social media and smart phone technology, as well as the idiots who seem to love going after pro athletes and celebrities make it more dangerous for players today in any social setting, unfortunately, but players have to understand that they are going to face this kind of thing and learn to react the right way, especially when putting themselves into the kind of situation OK4 put himself into.

Look at John Manziel by the way...how many chances does this guy get, and how many times does he do something stupid that gets recorded.

Hard to believe the dumb things some of these guys do...maybe they need to have some stronger contractual penalties for players who screw up like this- less guaranteed $$, perhaps.

dk7th
USA
11/27/2015  11:49 AM
WaltLongmire wrote:Are there issues about his character that I am totally unaware of?

Are there other incidents besides this one that I am unaware of? :

gunsnewing

I've been shocked by OK4's actions early on.

Knew about his mom's early death and the fact that he had found her and had to call 911- are there documented problems in school or with the law that he had as a kid?

dk7th
the father basically turning into a "stage father" once he was burdened with raising a child.

I don't exactly know what a "stage father" is ...Am I to assume that his means he was a father in name/title only, and not a good dad??

I figured that he had recruited at a young age because of his size, and would have expected that one "amateur" program pr another had him on a traveling team.

That OK4has some holes in his skills-set would make me think that some of his early coaches were not that concerned with making him into a complete player- more concerned with just winning, but this is frequently the case in early amateur ball and even in college.

Add in the fact that he and Noel might not be a great tandem at this point...something that was predicted before the season by a scout quoted in a SI article:

I don’t see, at all, the combination of Nerlens Noel at power forward and Jahlil Okafor at center. That’s probably how they’ll start. Okafor is legit. You can build your team around him. But Noel’s a center too. He’s not a power forward. How’s he going to go out and guard stretch fours? And then opponents don’t even have to guard him. Noel can’t shoot past 10 feet.

This was a recent article supporting the defensive part of the above comment:

Keith Pompey, Inquirer Staff Writer
Posted: Thursday, November 26, 2015, 3:01 AM

image:

BOSTON - Brett Brown has a dilemma.

Does the 76ers coach keep his best players on the floor no matter what? Or will be put in what he believes is his best situational lineup despite possibly losing his top players who aren't on the floor?

In this the Sixers' third consecutive season of tanking, one of their main goals is developing Jahlil Okafor and Nerlens Noel in a talented twin-towers tandem. However, the 6-foot-11, 223-pound Noel sat the final 2 minutes, 11 seconds in Monday's 100-95 setback to the Minnesota Timberwolves. Brown opted to put a smaller player on Timberwolves swingman Andrew Wiggins, who was playing power forward at the time.

"I have to coach basketball," Brown said. "I have to do it where you walk the most incredible concoction. There's a recipe you are always trying to figure out. I never coached more moving parts in my life."

Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/sixers/20151126_Sixers_dilemma__Keeping_Noel_and_Okafor_on_floor_together.html#rCGwGJdxAK5XgcgL.99

Not a good situation for Philly. Perhaps Hinkie will come to understand that the "assets" he acquires need more attention once they take on the form of actual players.

yes the loss of his mother has no doubt scarred him. how could it have not? when i look at this kid i see someone who looks like he knows he has been exploited by the conveyor belt of american basketball and yes, by a father who had to come into his son's life not by choice but by necessity. this has to create inner turmoil and even a certain sort of unhealthy cynicism over and above the usual stuff that 19yo boys go through.

kp6 has his brother with him wherever he goes.

dk7th
USA
11/27/2015  11:54 AM    LAST EDITED: 11/27/2015  11:57 AM
WaltLongmire wrote:
dk7th wrote:
gunsnewing wrote:
dk7th wrote:

J.R., Copeland, Sefolosia, OK4, Woods, etc.... Do you make a distinction among older and younger players?

I'm always taking hits around here for talking about "responsibility" and today's athletes, because I think that there should be some restrictions on them during their actual season because they have an obligation to their team and teammates, but then you have to balance this with basic human freedoms.

Social media and smart phone technology, as well as the idiots who seem to love going after pro athletes and celebrities make it more dangerous for players today in any social setting, unfortunately, but players have to understand that they are going to face this kind of thing and learn to react the right way, especially when putting themselves into the kind of situation OK4 put himself into.

yes i make a distinction between underaged professional athletes and athletes of legal age. still... even attaining legal age is no guarantee of maturity, responsibility, sound decision-making. so yes you will have the jr smiths of the world.

but so long as you allow one and dones or any athlete under 21 into the nba there needs to be a support team or system in place, and not "nothing/nobody" or worse-- a group of enablers.

i don't like that he was drunk and that he was goaded into a fight. and i really really don't like what he said-- that speaks to misplaced values that in my opinion are a product of his being exploited by a system and his own father. where is the father? and if his father cannot be bothered then where is any sort of mentor?

GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

11/27/2015  11:57 AM
Stephen A Smith said on first take that he spoke to the family, and Okafor claims one of the three hecklers struck an unnamed teammate, and thats when he started taking them out.

Don't know what happened, the only thing I can really fault him for is being underaged and coming out of a club at 2am. No amount of losing can condone that. Someone who played under coach K should know better. Im sure he will be getting a call from him, not the first time he has called a player when he believes they need some advice.

dk7th
USA
11/27/2015  12:01 PM
GustavBahler wrote:Stephen A Smith said on first take that he spoke to the family, and Okafor claims one of the three hecklers struck an unnamed teammate, and thats when he started taking them out.

Don't know what happened, the only thing I can really fault him for is being underaged and coming out of a club at 2am. No amount of losing can condone that. Someone who played under coach K should know better. Im sure he will be getting a call from him, not the first time he has called a player when he believes they need some advice.

he seems intoxicated.

Video: Jahlil Okafor Gets Into Fight In Boston and Punches a heckler

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy