[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Time for an 11 men rotation
Author Thread
Malcolm
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #6131

11/30/2015  8:48 PM    LAST EDITED: 11/30/2015  8:50 PM
mreinman wrote:does the triangle promote more mid range shots than the traditional PnR type systems currently being run in the nba?

I don't think it's NECESSARILY more or less. Every mature Triangle is different. The Lakers Triangle with Shaq in the post was different than the Bulls triangle with Jordan.

I guess we can say that the Triangle doesn't NECESSARILY emphasize high percentage shots at the rim plus high-value shots at 3-point range . . . at the expense of mid-range shots. With the talent you have it ends up one way or the other . . . but it's not part of the Triangle per se.

When you look at the numbers for ALL Triangles EVER, it MAY be that you get more mid-range shots -- because those are more open more often. I don't know enough about the historical numbers for the Triangle to say . . .

AUTOADVERT
Knicks1969
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #5915

11/30/2015  11:47 PM
Malcolm wrote:
mreinman wrote:are you a triangle guru? I am not but as I've stated in a number of threads, I really don't like our shot selection.

My understanding is that, first, there's a Tex Winter, X's-and-O's, Triangle. Then you add the Phil Jackson psychological/Zen stuff to it . . . and you have what I call the Jackson-Triangle.

I don't know a lot about the Tex Winter Triangle -- just basic principles.

But I do know more-than-average about the psychological/Zen stuff that Jackson adds to it.

So what affects shot selection (?) It depends on what you're trying to accomplish over what period of time. I mean, you can understand that even in conventional basketball terms. For example, having your best player take shots only makes sense if the opposing defense is under some uncertainty about whether he will. Right (?) Otherwise, they would put all 5 defenders on him. So you have to have run a certain number of plays for other players (even if they're not your best player) to keep the defense honest. This is pretty simple and basic -- and it's a psychological consideration.

So what I'm saying is that in the Jackson-Triangle there are 10 times as many such considerations. And it takes a long time to sort them out.

Are the Knicks just plain messing up sometimes -- both playing and coaching (?) Yeah, sure.

But they're also trying to develope a whole variety of personal and inter-personal instinctual skills . . . and some of the messing up (including shot selection) is a inevitable and necessary process to that end.

Watching this Knicks team isn't easy because we don't know what it is they're trying to do at this stage. They DEFINITELY don't having winning as the #1 priority at this time. That's still a long time away . . .

It is a huge difference if Phil was the coach/director of the band. The guy we currently have at the helm is no triangle guru. He is a motivational speaker, but not a coach. A coach is supposed to be able to motivate and guide. Fisher can't guide.

Thank God Fisher is no longer our coach, now let's get Calderon out of here:)
Time for an 11 men rotation

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy