[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Does anyone else get the feeling that Dampier may be a bust ?
Author Thread
TLover
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #381
USA
7/16/2004  2:57 PM
Dampier's best year came last year (HIS WALK YEAR) and he always been known as someone who has been a pain in the neck. He is known for his defense & rebounding but the majority of his career he's been splitting time with Foyle. I have no problem with the Knicks getting Dampier because we are goona need someone to go up against Shaq (Dampier's value has gone up for eastern conferance teams because teams are scared Sh** of Shaq.) My problem is paying a 30 year old center close to 90 million dollars for 7 years.

Isiah indicated that the Knicks need to be careful with their moves because a bad move could set them back for years (i.e. Anderson, Spoon, Eisley, Houston)
We would be taking a big chance if we gave Dampier this much $.

I'm much more inclined to trade for Ilgaskis who has 1 year left on a contract and decide at mid-season if he is worth re-signing or trading.
AUTOADVERT
MaTT4281
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #538
USA
7/16/2004  3:08 PM
I have no problem going after Damp...but for the right price. As you mentioned, 7 yrs, 90 mil DEFINATELY too much.

I'm assuming he would't agree to a 5 yr, 60-65 mil contract, but that is what he is worth imo.
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
7/16/2004  4:13 PM
he's definitely a risk so it all depends who we give up and how big/long his contract would be. i do believe that isiah and his staff will not let a player come in or bring in a player that will act complacent.
technomaster
Member: #426
USA
7/16/2004  4:56 PM
Dampier looks bigger and stronger than Mohammed, but I'm not really convinced that he's better overall. Certainly he has more meat to defend the likes of Shaq, but he's not really a post-up threat.

It's amazing how his numbers absolutely jumped this year. When Indiana first drafted him, he was supposed to be putting up numbers like these right away and step in for Rik Smits; his offensive game was supposed to grow over time.

Injuries have played a part in his journeyman type career numbers, but at the same time... just because this is his first heathly season (ever), how does that fact project toward the future?

“That was two, two from the heart.” - John Starks
BigSm00th
Member: #178
USA
7/16/2004  4:58 PM
I'll give him a 7 yr. deal if there is a team option at the end of year 3 where the Knicks can backout if he's not playing as well as hyped.
#Knickstaps
trueknicksfan
Member: #646
7/16/2004  5:42 PM
Posted by BigSm00th:

I'll give him a 7 yr. deal if there is a team option at the end of year 3 where the Knicks can backout if he's not playing as well as hyped.

that will sound good :D
franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
7/16/2004  8:04 PM
Damp is 30.

its downhill for him.

I'd rather have Nazr.

And, I'd rather bring Greg Ostertag in cheap.

but it would have to be LLE for 1 year.
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
7/16/2004  11:59 PM
I was concerned about Damp until I looked at his stats carefully. He's basically been the same player in past years that he was this year; he just didn't get enough minutes in past years. If you give an 8/8 guy who typically plays 24 mpg closer to 34 mpg, of course he's going to average a double double. The only thing that was different for him this year was that Foyle got injured, which gave him more playing time and chance to increase his stats.
jazz74
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #371
7/17/2004  10:38 AM
i agree that we should not trade the farm and unfortunately we have to facilitate another trade to get a badly needed scorer ( vc, crawford or walker). but this guy is no bust like nestorovic. he can play and when healhty very consistently. you have to look at it this way. he put up double double numbers throughout this year which is rare itself nowadays with anyone and he played out west. that means on a nightly bases he would go against shaq, ming, and duncan about four times a year not to mention gasol, kg, miller/webber/divac, and nowitski in which he defends from the weakside. now put that stat to the east and you automatically have the top three or four center in the east (shaq, big ben, and maybe ilgauskus). add the current starting lineup they are top 4-6 east team easily. if we get another proven scorer, we are catapulted to the championship contender. no joke.
BigSm00th
Member: #178
USA
7/17/2004  12:41 PM
I don't doubt the ability, I just worry about giving a 30-year old center a 7 yr. contract starting at $9 million. Isn't that more than what KMart got?

That's suicide, if you offer a 30 year old seven guaranteed years. You have to get a team option in there after year 4, so he'll make guaranteed like $40 million, and then for years 5, 6, 7, make it half-guaranteed, half-incentive based. In the weak east, he should still get good numbers, but I just worry about having a guy who's averaging 4 and 4 when he's 36 years old making $11 million a season.
#Knickstaps
Does anyone else get the feeling that Dampier may be a bust ?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy