Rich
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #511
USA
7/16/2004  2:05 AM
http://www.nypost.com/sports/knicks/18027.htm

ARIZA LIKELY WILL STICK WITH KNICKS

By MARC BERMAN

July 16, 2004 -- Kobe Bryant will not be a Knick. Jamal Crawford, Erick Dampier and Antoine Walker are still not Knicks. But July has proven one thing: Trevor Ariza, Isiah Thomas' first draft pick as Knicks president, will likely stay a Knick.

Though Ariza's Knicks summer league season in Long Beach, Calif., ended prematurely Wednesday night after he bruised his right leg, the 6-7 small forward out of UCLA demonstrated that he belongs. The Knicks have decided to hold Ariza out of the final two summer-league games today and tomorrow as a precautionary measure, feeling they already know he can play.

Ariza, the 43rd pick of the draft, scored 22 and 21 points in his first two games and finished averaging 14 points, 6.8 rebounds, 3.0 assists in 34 minutes, shooting 51.4 percent.

"The summer league showed what I can do, instead of them seeing it on tape," Ariza said on his cell phone yesterday while ordering a caramel shake and chicken nuggets from a Jack In The Box drive-through in Long Beach. "I think I'll be able to make the team if I keep doing what I've been doing. I'm sure I will."

Ariza, who grew up an hour away, in Inglewood, Calif., and had about 20 family and friends at each game, got kneed twice in the calf during Wednesday's 95-72 victory over Memphis. He finished the game and prefers not to be shut down.

"I'm real upset," he said. "I want to play. But they're looking out for my health and livelihood."

Ariza must get stronger, put on weight and develop a better outside shot. In Long Beach, he scored on post-ups, layups and dunks.

"I can see the floor really well and can make decisions with the ball," he said.

Thomas has spoken to free agent Erick Dampier on the phone and plans to visit with the Warriors center.

Dampier, who has been working out in Oakland, was said to be in Long Beach earlier this week. Thomas did not attend yesterday's off-day practice but it is not believed he went face-to-face with Dampier — a strong indication talks with Golden State are falling flat.

The Warriors have given off vibes they'd sooner let Dampier walk as a free agent then take back Knick contracts in a sign-and-trade. That's how confident the Warriors are in recently signed Adonal Foyle.

Golden State GM Chris Mullin may be willing to take just Nazr Mohamed but the Warriors would need more contracts back to make the math work. If Thomas can't get Walker or Dampier, he may just as well throw Dikembe Mutombo back into the package and take out Moochie Norris to accede to the Bulls' wishes in the Crawford negotiations, especially with Allan Houston's arthritic knees still a question mark nearly four months after his last game.

AUTOADVERT
Knicksfan
Alba Posts: 27
Member: #691
USA
7/16/2004  2:35 AM
God to see the Knicks taking care of their young prospect. Too bad he bruised his right leg, but its really impresive that he really wants badly to play again. Im really impressed with the kid because he truly seems to be interested in learning and taking his game to the next level. The fact that he has been described as a sponge is great because he will really work hard on his game, and the potential he has will likely become reality. This kid is a keeper.
Knicks_Fan
raven
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #316
Canada
7/16/2004  2:44 AM
Posted by Rich:

he scored on post-ups, layups and dunks.

when was the last time a knick player didn't score on a shoot ?
Silverfuel
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #268
USA
7/16/2004  8:30 AM
i like
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.
NY Post: Ariza Likely Will Stick With Knicks

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy